Passinthru63 18-Nov-14
dockeating 18-Nov-14
spike78 18-Nov-14
Straight Arrow 18-Nov-14
Treerat 18-Nov-14
14-Nov-14

Garbanzo's embedded Photo
Garbanzo's embedded Photo
Had this buck come straight to me at around 3:40 this evening. He finally turned broadside. I came to full draw and started to move my sites toward my target zone when I hit the release by mistake. I thought I shot right over his back, but 40 yrds later he dropped like a sack of potatoes. The hit was well high and back. I think I must have cut the main arteries running just below the spine. I guess today was my lucky day. Due to 2 broken tines he ended up being a six pointer(4 X 2).

15-Nov-14
Congratulations, and this is the time for broken tines the sparring is over and the battle for the 1st doe to become in heat is on . I've got pictures starting to come on my camera in a travel area near a doe bedding area and seems like the bucks are going thru it and new bucks I've never seen are popping up daily but of course when I'm not there . I have 3 stands set about 75 yards apart and no matter what they seem to go past the ones I'm not in and stay just out of range . The doe's this week where skittish and avoiding there normal bedding spots so it's about to get good . Don't give up your stand you might get a crack at another this next couple of weeks.

15-Nov-14
Congrats

15-Nov-14
Congrats! it's nice when something like that happens and what looks to be a bad hit turns out to be a killer. I took a shot at a 6 point passing close below me on a wooded hillside below a corn field several years ago. He was moving slowly and real close and my shot was high and passed thru. Looks like the same hit you made on your buck. He ran off about 30 yards and stopped and I figured that I was in for a nightmare day. I took a second shot which hit a tree and the deer ran another 20 yards and stopped again. Now I am really expecting to be in for a lousy day and pulled off a 3rd arrow even though the buck was now beyond any range I normally shoot but I had everything to gain and nothing to lose. About then, the buck got wobbly and fell over dead! Long story short is that sometimes we do get lucky! Congrats again!

15-Nov-14
Those two large vessels are the aorta (an artery, THE artery, really) and the Inferior Vena Cava (the largest vein, draining everything from the diaphragm down towards the heart). I have seen them die as quickly as a double lung from those hits. Nice buck.

15-Nov-14
Way to go Garbanzo!! Luck is better than skill sometimes. Nice to hear an honest account of the events. You could have told us it was a 50 yard shot through thick cover and you double lunged him.

NICE!

15-Nov-14
Congrats!

15-Nov-14
Congratulations!!

17-Nov-14
CONGRATS!

17-Nov-14
Congrats!!!!

18-Nov-14
Glad things worked out for you.

18-Nov-14
The hunting gods shined on you, my friend! well done!

18-Nov-14
I pulled a shot on a buck a few years ago and hit him way back around the hip area and he dropped about 60 yards away solid blood trail and the cavity was filled inside. Lethal artery hit for sure like Dr deer said just as good as a double lung. Not thrilled about it but worked out in the end.

18-Nov-14
Hi Garbanzo,

You know what they say, "I'd rather be lucky then good"! Congratulations, great shot!

18-Nov-14
congrats, nice buck!

• Sitka Gear