Jeff in MN 17-Nov-14
ThwackWI 17-Nov-14
Max 17-Nov-14
martinjame 17-Nov-14
Max 19-Nov-14
Adamwipp07 19-Nov-14
Jeff in MN 20-Nov-14
16-Nov-14
I dont get on here much anymore other than to do some reading about how others are doing, But here is what happened. I was told of a buck that had been shot off of the road with a 243 by a young man and did the online registation, He is friends of the family that told me about it,And I think that they had told me in hopes that I would turn him in so there wasnt problem between the familys, I know the owners of the land and they are very upset over it. This morning I contacted the DNR hotline and told them what I knew, This buck was a 12 point with over a 20 inch spred a great buck. I have a municipality job and take care of the country roads and see alot of this going on and really is upsetting that for those of us who spend many hours hunting and do our best to follow the laws that the state has lose out to these people. I hope that this time the Warden can follow threw on this. Max

16-Nov-14
What county?

16-Nov-14
Vernon County

16-Nov-14
Sad, at least it sounds like he knows what he did was wrong. Just from the info you posted it should be no problem for DNR to bust him.

Just curious why you used the hotline instead of calling the local warden directly.

16-Nov-14
Max, good job on turning him in. I get so sick of hearing people complain about violators, yet they don't want to get involved.

16-Nov-14
Jeff I called the hot line because the last time I called the warden was of no help, And I thought that this way the warden would check it out that others from the DNR knew of it. The warden did call me this morning and we got to talk about it and by the sound of it the warden is going to look into it and talk with the land owners. Max

17-Nov-14
Interesting and makes some sense that the hotline puts some pressure on the local warden to investigate and maybe extra pressure to issue a citation.

17-Nov-14
Thanks for following through and contacting the DNR. We put in a lot of time hunting legally in Vernon Country near Viroqua. Hopefully this will turn the kid in the right direction in the future.

Can you give any more details as to where in Vernon County? We had a group come through last weekend (Nov. 8-9) "tracking a buck" and asking for permission to come on our property. They wouldn't give us any details about the buck. Kinda raised our suspicions.

17-Nov-14
I would like to say just where this took place but the warden has asked me not to say much for now. Will keep you all updated how it goes.

17-Nov-14
Had the same thing happen last year. Had a young man take a 10 pointer from the road, on the property I hunt in crawford county. Dunno how you could get excited about doing something like that. Might just as well grab the spot light and shoot them in the field at night.

19-Nov-14
I got a call from the warden thanking me, There were two young men that had done this. Both are locals and the warden was able to get them. Hope that this will help curve the poaching and trespassing that has been going on in the area.

19-Nov-14
Glad to hear they got caught. Thanks for doing the right thing.

20-Nov-14
Way to go, I know it will be a while down the road but let us know what their sentence is after they are convicted.

I recently told a neighbor about a guy that stole timber on their land. Cut saw logs from trees knocked down by the Hayward area storm. They called the sheriff and he was convicted of timber theft $500, and trespassing $300.

If people don't report things it just keeps happening.

• Sitka Gear