bigbuckbob 19-Nov-14
treesitter 19-Nov-14
jax2009r 19-Nov-14
Bloodtrail 19-Nov-14
jax2009r 19-Nov-14
cuntrytocity 19-Nov-14
jax2009r 19-Nov-14
16-Nov-14
I have my own opinions but those are like arm pits. You don't draw, you dont touch the string, trigger, scope. You still havean arrow/bolt, still have to get close. Should they have own season,areas,tagstags air out your arm pits

16-Nov-14
I have my own opinions but those are like arm pits. You don't draw, you dont touch the string, trigger, scope. You still havean arrow/bolt, still have to get close. Should they have own season,areas,tagstags air out your arm pits

16-Nov-14

17-Nov-14
Sounds like you have a lot of opinions .LOL if they have there own season you have to cut into some other season like your bow season there not that big of a deal, drag one around for a day try to get a shot from a tree stand there heavy hard to reload and don't shot as fare as you think 40 yards. My bow shoots farther they are good in cold weather you decide .STEVE

17-Nov-14
and a lot of arm pits too steve..lol...i agree with steve..i shot a recurve and wasnt all that impressed...they have there place..

17-Nov-14
I shoot both. Bowtech compound and Excalibur crossbow. I prefer my compound, but there are times the cross bow would be better. with no Sunday hunting limits time for weapon of choice. it's still a form of a bow.

17-Nov-14
It is the same as making a comparison between shoes with and without shoelaces. If you take the shot with the crossbow turned 90 degrees it is a regular bow all day long :). I have taken shots with a horizontally oriented recurve and compound bows as well.

You still have to pull the string, you are using an arrow (has vanes) not a bolt (no vanes), they are harder to cock, heavier to carry, noisier, and do not shoot any farther than a regular compound bow. Wide open fields are good location for crossbows.

17-Nov-14
The only real advantage they have is that you dont have to draw back and risk getting seen by a deer. No real distance advantage as the bolts are light. I used one a year in VA and they are very uncomfortable to carry to stand. Im not sure I think they are archery but if thats what people want to use then so be it.

17-Nov-14
Tried one when my wrist was bad. Too heavy and cant shoot much if any farther. I'm sticking with compound. Now as for if its archery I would argue it is. I'm sure when the first recurve came out all the long bow people were saying its not real archery. When compounds came out the same thing. Just the further use of technology. Is firing a semi auto rifle still shooting a rifle? Or is a musket the only real rifle?

17-Nov-14
Everything Steve said !!!

17-Nov-14
A long bow is not a recurve, a recurve is not a compound, a compound is not a cross bow, a cross bow is not a shotgun, a shotgun is not a muzzleloader and a muzzle loader is not a rifle.

Each has it's place and it's up to the hunter to choose.

17-Nov-14
I use to not care either way but,My best buddy hunts with a cross bow. he is a fire arms kind of guy and doesn't care for archery. By allowing him to use a cross bow to hunt during archery season he has a much longer hunting season. once fire arms season starts he hangs up his cross bow and uses what ever fire arm is in season at the time. all while I'm still jumping around properties still with my bow. I think its a good thing but is it Archery? -Duncan

17-Nov-14
Depends who you ask. Go over to Leatherwall and ask the Trad guys...they will tell you a compound is not archery. You never touch the string, have a trigger, cams for letoff, optics, etc. Also, a lot of guys here pick up the gun during the firearms season, nothing wrong with that. I stopped caring what other people do, as long as they do it safely and within the law.

17-Nov-14
Tobywon

I would agree with your take on things. To each their own, but be legal, safe and ethical.

17-Nov-14
Personally I do not think a Crossbow is the same as a Hand Drawn bow. Is it Archery? Well that depends on your definition of 'archery'. The state of CT now defines a Crossbow as a bow legal for hunting during the Archery season.

I don't use one. I encourage those who do use a crossbow to hunt like a bowhunter as opposed to a firearms hunter. By that I mean, get close. And take shots only at relaxed stationary deer. If someone hunts safely, legally, and ethically I think that would reduce or eliminate most people's objections.

So you asked if it's archery, perhaps the best response is: It's hunting, so let's do it right, do it safely, and stick together.

17-Nov-14
Ethically challenging question. I feel like if you need one due to an injury/condition then use it during archery... but beyond that, make em legal during firearms season or muzzle loader.

I feel like they are a handicap compared to either of those options... but without having to manually draw the bow in the close presence of game, it just is not archery hunting to me.

That's the fundamental difference between cross bow's and compounds or trad bows. Cross bow's are held ready, while compounds and trad bows have to be drawn while the target animal is in very close proximity.

That act, is huge when bow hunting. I always feel like if I can get drawn without them seeing me / hearing me I have a great chance. But it's not easy. You need to time things well, you need the deer to look away or to go behind a tree etc. Likewise, if you screw up and have to hold to long, you likely miss (as I did a couple weeks ago).

That difference is big to me. Arguments can be made all over for and against, but if you dont have to draw the weapon while a deer/game is present, it's just not archery hunting.

So, I'm all for them for folks with injury or other health issue preventing them from drawing a bow (and would use one if I got hurt)... but I feel like they are more similar in terms of the practice of the hunt to a gun, and thus, should be open during gun seasons.

17-Nov-14
I love crossbows. You can shoot deer at 80 yards with them.

Opps, did I say that again?

Sorry!

17-Nov-14
I tend to agree with Will. I have had multiple occasions where I had to hold a full draw for almost a minute and ultimately had to let down, only to have to draw again a few seconds latter. That leads to bad shots. I'm not sure that a separate season is in order, but I would like to see crossbow hunters required to wear blaze orange. The reason why they were not allowed for years is because it was seen as an unfair advantage as the distance the bolt can travel versus the amount of sound it makes can effectively make it a silent shot. The main reason for allowing them now is due to the desire to cull the CT herd to a more manageable size. For safety sake, I think requiring crossbow hunters to wear blaze orange would be a prudent thing to do.

17-Nov-14
It costs enough as it is. Don't want to give anybody anymore reasons to charge me more money. Think they should keep it the way it is.

17-Nov-14
To me archery requires a lot more practice and form. Crossbows more like a gun point and shoot, not that there's anything wrong with that. Sometimes I wish I had one for sitting on the ground or in a blind.

17-Nov-14
In my opinion, no hardcore bowhunter would stop shooting his bow for crossbow, unless he was physically not able to draw and shoot it.

17-Nov-14
Ditto what Will said, and he said it well.

Is a ballista a bow? https://www.google.com/search?q=ballista&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Both string guns,IMHO.

Garbanzo,

I've seen a few crossbows, and not one of them was anywhere near what I would call silent, for hunting any distance.

18-Nov-14
trigger or a release....whats the difference????

18-Nov-14
not a firearm or even close...

firearm you can shoot deer at various angles that are ethical...through brush etc....neck shots frontal shots from 100 yards..you dont have to worry about branches.x bow you cannot, need to have a clear lane and make an ethical shoot...

YES YOU DONT HAVE TO DRAW BACK.....the 80 percent let down on today's bows whats the difference.....

its a form of archery....different than a compound which is different from a traditional bow

18-Nov-14
jax

I have to take exception with your comment that you can "through brush etc you dont have to worry about branches" when it comes to firearms. Any ethical gun hunter would NEVER shoot through branches at a deer! I agree guns have a tighter shooting tolerance so windage and distance requires less compensation, but I would never shoot with even ONE branch in my line of fire.

I think the new hunters will read this and think that guns are like gernades, close is good enough.

18-Nov-14
trigger or a release....whats the difference????

I didn't think of that since I don't use a release. I dont care for them but at least you still have to draw your bow back while the animal is near with a release. Think I'm going to hang out at the leatherwall for a bit. haha. - Duncan

18-Nov-14
Anybody can shoot a compound. It's easy to pull 70 lbs if you only have to hold 15-20. Besides, with all the mechanical releases, you don't even touch the string.

Who shoots the compound without a releae here?

Yeah, duncan got it right. Release has trigger just like a gun.

You want to be a bowhunter? Use a real bow not a compound.

18-Nov-14
Crow

according to the Cambridge Archaeological Journal the first REAL bows were made from:

Making the bow took 22 raw materials and three semi-finished goods (binding materials and multi-component glue) as well as five production phases.

So, if you're using anything else you're not using a real bow,.....right? :)

18-Nov-14
This is where literal interpretation can be tough.

I absolutely think the guys with the most challenging to use weapons are the long bow/recurve trad guys. Some day I will do this, I simply can not practice enough now to do so ethically - thus, would not enjoy the action of hunting with a "stick" despite the romance behind the idea.

A compound certainly is easier. I use a release, I shoot a fast bow, I shoot expandable heads... I can practice a few times a week and be very accurate. The compound is enjoyable and fits my life right now, so I stick to it.

I respectfully disagree though that having let off and a release makes a compound more like a cross bow than a trad bow.

With a release aid, you can still "punch it" and have target panic and "pull" the release funny. With a compound you still have to draw the bow. Most of the time within 40-50yds of the animal, and almost always closer. Most of the deer I've killed were inside 20, and I was trying to execute a large motion - extending a 36 inch long object at the end of my arm, while drawing that object back 29.5" with my other arm - then having to position myself to make a good shoot - without the deer seeing me.

Now I have to figure out how to take an ethical clock while the timer is going - either that deer gets into a good position on it's own free will, or I run out of energy and have to let down.

I can not use a support to help me aim - I could with a cross bow.

I have to draw a bow in the presence of the animal, I dont the cross bow.

I have to time my drawing and aiming ideally with my compound (or stick bow for you stick bow guys), but with a cross bow, I dont have to worry about this.

I'm completely fine with people with disabilities using them during archery seasons. I'm completely fine with people using them during any gun seasons.

Personally, they just do not fit the spirit of what archery hunting is about. And I admit, this is through MY lens and MY world view - which is as good or bad as anyone elses... So just a discussion point really i guess.

18-Nov-14
It's all a slippery slope. I started this thread because my buddy hunts with a cross bow and I use a compound with out a release. Part of me thinks he's cheating and taking the easy way. I spend hours every year shooting to keep my groups tight and if I take to long of a break then I have to put in extra time to get back on target. While he just takes his crossbow out of the box and shoots better than I do.

After reading this thread I now realize that it doesn't matter to me what anyone uses, as long as it makes them happy. I enjoy the effort it takes to keep myself on target. So I'll Keep on Keeping on. - Duncan

18-Nov-14
I will answer later BBB.

compounds have sites to aim - longbows don't

compund you can draw when deer are not watching and hold(anybody can hold 15lbs) - longbow you can't.

I think that people that want crossBOW on rifle season are selfish.

18-Nov-14
I was just being the devil's advocate because some people take the purist approach a bit too far for REAL ARCHERY.

As long as the hunter is SAFE, I don't care when they hunt, to some degree. I don't gun hunt for deer because I've found that the lazy,, unethical deer gun hunters are dangerous. Their weapons shoot farther than archers, so if they're lazy and unethical they're shooting at shadows and shapes, and not deer. Cross bows kind of fall into the category in my mind.

I like the challenge of being forced to get close to a deer, no matter if I can hold my draw or I need to draw at the last minute. I hunted with a recurve for about 35 years before I was forced to go with compound due to a shoulder injury. I was as accurate with my recurve as I am with my compount, BUT only after weeks of practice. I can take my compound out of the case and after a few arrows I'm deadly again.

18-Nov-14

STM's embedded Photo
STM's embedded Photo
Here is something I found on another site I visit very often. The old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words applies here.

18-Nov-14
STM

I think arguements, discussions, bickering are healthy as long as education and understanding are the result. I don't have to agree with anyone else to UNDERSTAND their point of view. Through understanding comes tolerance, so it's not all bad to "bicker".

If it comes to name calling and personal attacks then nothing good comes from that. Just use the last gubernatoral election as your guide if you're not sure what NOT to do. :)

18-Nov-14
Well said BBB, and I couldn't agree with you more about being tolerant of others opinion and discussion is healthy, as long as it isn't personal.

As for me, I like the compound bow, been doing it two years now and I liked it so much, that I didn't even gun hunt last year. Eventually, I will go to the crossbow, I'm 45 and I don't have any health problems to prevent me from using my bow. If at some point my health declines due to age in another decade or so, then I'll consider going over to the crossbow.

In the end, it's all hunting and as long as you're legal and ethical, I say enjoy and much success!!

19-Nov-14
BBB I rifle hunt the BIG WOODS of NW Ontario.....If you are not going to shoot through a branch or two you are never going to take a shot...I am talking about sticks blow downs brambles etc..it is that thick.....these are all close shots....75 yards or less...especially if you are tracking or still hunting...not all the land OUT THERE is open hardwoods like CT

thats why I shoot a 35 whalen with 200 Grain bullet

Like I said before...i dont think anyone that shOots a crossbow thinks its harder than a compound....but it is still a "form of archery".....

without a doubt a x bow takes less practice than a compound just like a compound takes less practice as a trad....isnt that the point...this helps the people who dont have time to practice and gets them proficient to make ethical kills...some due to life kids work dont have time to shoot all year round

REMEMBER ONE THING...Hunting is a dying sport...the more the better chance we have to keep things

19-Nov-14
jax

I guess I wouldn't want to hunt somewhere that requires you to bust through brush for a shot opportunity, I would worry about 2 things. (1) Wounding too many deer. (2) The real concern for me would, if a "hunter" sees something through the brush and pulls the trigger, and it's me on the other side of his sights.

That's why I use my light the whole walk in to my stand and then go up the tree and hide from the deer,..... and other hunters.

19-Nov-14
Jax, Im with you, A cross bow is easier to shoot and be proficient in a shorter period of time. Being proficient with your weapon of choice means fewer wounded deer and cleaner, quicker kills.

Its a very ethical choice in my opinion. I shoot both the compound and the crossbow and each has its it place in my arsenal.

Its the experience of hunting your quarry at close range and the adrenaline rush that goes with it that makes bowhunting so exciting and addictive.

19-Nov-14
Shooting through brush and shooting where a few branches in a blow down/5/10 year old cut where you cant place a arrow are and can be slightly different...

in the big woods you dont run into other hunters that is why you hunt the big woods..... especially if you are tracking and on the ground...you are miles in the woods

19-Nov-14
Archery isn't a dying sport. At least not in CT. Permits have risen over the last 4 years from around 12,000 archers, to now close to 15,000. I introduced a new hunter to archery this year as well.

For the first time in many many years I ran across other hunters in the woods on state land (Salmon River and Day Pond). And guess what they were carrying...crossbows.

Sales of crossbows are through the roof at most pro shops. I guess the infatuation with - just pick it up, shoot a few bolts and you're ready to hunt is where it's at these days. You don't need the practice once you're sighted in.

19-Nov-14
I am not talking about brush shooting that is entirely different....brush shooting is not having a clear target

there is a difference between a shot you would take with a gun and a shot you take with a bow....

bullets break bones arrows dont....they also go right through a SMALL limb branch covering a vital...small not a 6 inch limb but one that would deflect an arrow

there is a difference

watch a benoit video and you will see what I mean

19-Nov-14
Hey Jax2009r I thought about what you said regarding shooting through tree branches and other stuff and at first I was against what you were stating. But last night after I got home, I started thinking to myself, what if this guys talking about tracking, and any good tracker is going to take whatever shot is available to him, because a tracker is different from a stand hunter. A tracker may only have one opportunity to shoot at that buck, whereas a stand hunter can pretty much choose when and where he wants to place an arrow or bullet on that animal at a predetermined point or lane.

I have the book "Hunting Big Bucks The Benoit Way" and that is a consistent theme throughout the book, tracking and shooting are completely different than stand hunting. As a stand hunter, I'd never shoot thru brush, that's just a choice that I've made as a hunter, but I completely understand where you're coming from, because different styles of hunting require different techniques.

19-Nov-14
Bloodtrail....the overall hunting numbers across America are down.....maybe not in the areas you hunt...Archery numbers might be up

• Sitka Gear