obo 17-Nov-14
Crusader dad 17-Nov-14
brewcrewmike 17-Nov-14
obo 17-Nov-14
brewcrewmike 17-Nov-14
GoJakesGo 17-Nov-14
17-Nov-14
Hello,

I have been lurking on these forums for quite some time and decided to pull the trigger on creating an account.

I am looking for some information in regards to hunting in Marathon county. Now be advised, I am not looking for your honey hole or "sweet spot". I have hunted private property (with friends) for the past two years and now the group just keeps getting bigger and bigger and it just isn't about hunting anymore. It became more about steaks, beers, inviting ladies, etc... As much as I enjoy all that, I enjoy my peace and time in the woods a lot more.

I know it is definitely more challenging to hunt on public land, but I am up for an adventure. I don't know much about hunting around that area, but I would be hunting alone and I was just looking for some guidance (not your spots). I have looked at other areas as well since I do not mind driving, but just looking for some friendly advice.

I appreciate your responses in advance and stay warm out there.

-Bo

17-Nov-14
Obo, I am pretty familiar Clark county public areas. Clark is right next door to marathon. Over the years I have foun a few areas that hold good numbers of deer and a very limited # of gun hunters. These areas are not marked and somewhat difficult to find. I hunt private farmland in the se corner of Clark county but each year I spent a few days on public land up there. I would be happy to give you some spots. If your interested pm me.

17-Nov-14
I grew up in Weston, just southeast of Wausau. I would check into the Ringle area. I believe there is plenty of public land in that area and that area is known to practice some QDM. Growing up in that area I always saw deer in that area but it could have changed from the pure number of deer being taken from Marathon County every year.

I would also take and draw a line through Marathon County, dividing north and south. You could use Highway 29 as your guide if you wish but I would hunt to the south of that line and avoid north of that line.

Stratford and Spencer have been known for good hunting as well. My father used to hunt down in the Mosinee area. I can't speak on any specific areas when it comes to these three areas however.

If you're looking for a place to have your deer butchered or enjoy good sausage check out Country Fresh Meats.

17-Nov-14
I appreciate the responses.

Brewcrewmike, I think it is still highly populated but I am sure it is highly concentrated during gun season. I don't have any issues with that at all though. I will keep taking a look at the DNR Mapping Website of those areas and see what they look like. Thank you once again, and I will definitely check out Country Fresh Meats.

Crusader, I sent you a message sir. Thank you for the reply.

We will have some great weather coming up, I bet everyone is anxious to get out there!

17-Nov-14
No problem obo! Good luck and be safe!

17-Nov-14
Places to avoid-Billy goat hills in Brokaw. The area with the most public land is in the northeast corner of the county.

• Sitka Gear