spike78 21-Nov-14
spike78 21-Nov-14
spike78 22-Nov-14
drslyr 22-Nov-14
spike78 23-Nov-14
Dr. Deer 23-Nov-14
HunterBrad 23-Nov-14
17-Nov-14
Hey guys over the summer I was reading up on Alpacas and read they are warmer then wool and wick sweat better so for 20 bucks a pair I gave them a try. Not a hint of cold feet at all. Put a pair of wools on over them just in case. In fact my feet were sweating in them which didnt matter at all because they wick sweat and you will notice no odor like with wool socks. Best 20 bucks ive spent, give them a try if you get cold feet.

17-Nov-14
Where did you get them? And do they have gloves to match?

17-Nov-14
Belchertown MA but im sure you can get them online. I didnt even think about gloves, gotta look those up.

17-Nov-14
It hasn't been nearly cold enough this year to test anything. But thank you for the review. I might grab a few pairs of these for next year.

17-Nov-14
You may be correct Bloodtrail I will give an update when it gets real cold. So far its been 28 degrees and Im wearing 800 gram rocky boots for a test. Not much compared to the 1200 gram boots I used to have.

17-Nov-14
I can never find boots that are warm enough and my toes always get cold. A couple of years ago I bought a pair of Arctic Shield overboots but for some reason forgot about them. My feet were freezing on gun opening day Sat so yesterday I finally got them out and used them.

They are just amazing!!! I sat for six hours yesterday and my feet were toasty warm. Usually even if I use toe warmers I can feel the cold seeping in elsewhere in the boot but these just keep the boots warm all around. The nice thing is if you do get cold you can just toss in a couple more warmers to adjust as there is plenty of room inside. Make sure to get one size larger than recommended for easy on/off.

When gun hunting I like to combine still hunting with stopping for a couple of hours here and there. Heavy boots get too warm for stalking and also make a lot of noise. Having the Arctic Shields solves that problem and they are featherlight to carry. Highly recommended!!

17-Nov-14
I dont know if it's better or similar to wool (at least merino wool) Spike... but it definitely is good stuff. I have used it mostly hiking and biking and it's great. Especially with a thin merino wool "sport sock" for a liner, then a thick warm alpaca over sock... Cha-Ching! that right there is WARM!

17-Nov-14
Warm boots (ugly but cozy) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XJCTIQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

19-Nov-14
I am all for warm feet. ounce my feet get cold I am done for the day. I've good and bad things about Muck boots. But I been using them for at lease 10 years now. my feet never get cold using them. a good pair of warm socks in the winter and a lighter pair in the fall. with the same pair of boots.

19-Nov-14
I have the muck artic boots and they split not 9 months after paying 200 bucks for them...with the right amount of socks they are pretty awesome though...now I just have to do somthjng about my hands....ELECTRIC GLOVES maybe??? Anyone

19-Nov-14
pretty sure mine are the wetland. they are definitely water proof. after 8 plus years with these I never had any water get in them . even with a fiber type top. a had a short style before these but were not high enough. probably going to get Santa to get that new style that wicks the moisture.

21-Nov-14
Yesterday I took spikes advice and looked up alpaca sox. I believe the place he was talking about was Owl alpacas in GRANBY Ma. Anyway we took a trip there and spoke with Beth all about alpacas. We ended up buying 4 pairs of sox, fingerless gloves, hats ect. I wore my first set of experimental sox today in 22 degrees from 6am to 10am. Ive always had cold feet, and thats what usually drives me out of the woods. It was amazing. 1 pair of survival sox and 1pr. of boot liners and my feet were completely warm. I hesitate to print this because owl alpacas only has a limited inventory and when its gone its gone till next yr. I wanna get back and buy some more stuff before they run out. Oh by the way i was hunting in western ma and didn't see any deer but thats another thread rant . Anyway 4 thumbs up for alpaca wear.

21-Nov-14
Drslyr, thats awesome. She had her socks at a different store next town over and thats where I got them but I went to her farm during the summer and helped shear her alpacas. Shes an awesome woman and welcomes anyone to see her alpacas. I was afraid reading your story as I hadnt tried them in this cold of weather yet. Im happy they work like I said. I intend on getting a hat and gloves in the near future. If shes out she can point you to the store in Belchertown where she has them as I forget the name. She also sells alpacas if someone wants one in the backyard. I was blown away when I found out they can sell up to 100,000 for a champion.

21-Nov-14
I forgot to ask, what town did you hunt in western, ma? It aint easy in these parts and you need to scout your butt off!

22-Nov-14
So heres my review from this morning. It was 17 degrees out with a slight wind. Im wearing Rocky 800 gram boots, not exactly cold weather boots. I first climbed uphill for 20+ minutes up the path which works up some sweat and sat in stand for 4 hours in temps from 17-20 degrees. I felt slight cold in my toes but my feet were easily warm enough for longer sit. I have no doubt that with my 800 gram boots with only wool socks I would have been in trouble. Next year I will have the inserts and gloves as my fingers were the roughest part this morning. I cant wait to see how Alpaca gloves work out.

22-Nov-14
we were hunting in new marlboro ma. spike

23-Nov-14
Nice country out that way drslyr. Yeah I hear you I had only three days of sightings in zone 7 hence why im not particular about what I shoot. After all these years in western MA im still an any deer hunter. I feel now after learning the spot better I can only go upward each year or so I think...

23-Nov-14

Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Mickey MOuse boots are okay, but so clunky. I used Steger Mukluks for years, soft soles, quiet walking, it's like having your feet is cushy sleeping bags. Lack of pressure points is what keeps feet warm. I am scheduling an eBay sale of mine, as I am not often there in late season for more than a 2-3 hour sit and my regular insulated rubber boots are fine for that.

23-Nov-14
I Used and LOVED mickey mouse boots when I was doing my cold weather training in Norway (USMC) But way too big and clumsy for hunting. Hell, Im not even sure I could climb a ladder stand with them!

• Sitka Gear