CTCrow 18-Nov-14
Passinthru63 18-Nov-14
dockeating 18-Nov-14
Treerat 18-Nov-14
Treerat 18-Nov-14
Turtle504 19-Nov-14
17-Nov-14
Hey Guys,

Since I dropped 40 lbs. the past couple years the cold weather absolutely makes me miserable while on stand. Even the 30 degree weather this past week was brutal to me.

What do you guys recommend for cold weather gear. I plan on being out almost daily from Thanksgiving through the end of December. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Eric

17-Nov-14
I wear under armor, a couple sweatshirts, my heavy hunting coat and pants. One OR Two hats. Two pairs socks, one light, one wool or heavy. Insulated boots. Basically I throw everything on but the woodstove.

17-Nov-14
Bigz check out my cold feet thread also I bought a jacket from cabelas that is the warmest ive ever had and not that pricey. I will have to get exact name from catalog but its a cabelas brand. Good part is the pockets are sweet. I carry everything in it i need and i mean everything. I wore it with just a sweatshirt in 30 degrees and it worked nicely!

17-Nov-14
I use a thick turtleneck as my second layer and it helps keep my neck warm and locks my body heat in, after that use appropriate layers. STM.

17-Nov-14
Layers and advoid cotton. While it is comfortable,it holds every drop of moisture. I may be new to hunting but i know child weather. Hiking the A.T. And 30+ years of scouting taught me lots.

17-Nov-14
On windy, cold days I wear Frogg Toggs rainwear under my camo. They don't breath well, but they keep me warm and really work well as a wind blocker.

17-Nov-14
Heater bodybag. No replacement when its cold. Stops all wind and keeps you cozy inside. Poor circulation runs in my family. I need multiple layers even at 50 degrees out but last season i hunted thru jan with bag.

17-Nov-14
The jacket is Cabelas outfitter berber fleece. Its quiet and extremely warm. You wont be dissapointed. I have the tall model with all the pockets. I carry 2 deer calls, license, buckbomb, rattle bag, release, rangefinder, gloves, knife, deer drag, and even had a trailcam and my safety rope in it. I will warn you though when you walk to your stand carry it in or at least zip it down all the way. It is warm! I have made sitting down shots with it fully loaded with gear and never caught the string on it. 100% quiet too. Last i looked 169 bucks well worth it.

17-Nov-14
3 words Heater body suit.....they are awesome been using one for 10 years now love it

17-Nov-14
3 words Heater body suit.....they are awesome been using one for 10 years now love it

17-Nov-14
Spike, thank you for the info. I will head down to check it out this week some night after work. Did you get the socks at R & R? If so, I was there chatting it up and looking at a pistol for my wife and some archery items. I just can't stand the cold. I may look at the heater body suit, too.

17-Nov-14
Eric, forget about electric gadgets, just layer up your body and cover head, keep hands, and feet (layer socks in insulated boots) warm.

Boots (ugly but cozy) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XJCTIQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

17-Nov-14
Check out my post about Arctic Shields in the cold feet thread.

17-Nov-14
Use merino wool and polyester blends for base layers, thin to keep warm, I use like 4 thin layers...then heavy bib/coat.

Wool is warm Cotton is cold

17-Nov-14
i put those theropy heat things for your back on first( keeps the kidneys warm ) then underarmor,thermal,flanel shirt,coat. I also use those hothands on my wrists held with rubber bands.

17-Nov-14
Without question the Arctic Shield boot covers are the best item to go over an already insulated boot.

I like a synthetic layer like polypropylene next to my skin because it wicks away sweat. Then I usually wear a wool sweater of a weight dependent on the temps I'll be expecting. My pants are heavy wool NATO issue with cargo pockets on both legs, and held up with suspenders. Suspenders do a better job of holding pants up when you wear heavy underlayers. The pants have a modified fly opening. There were buttons there, but I removed them and sewed in a velcro strip. Much easier that fumbling buttons with cold fingers. I've simplified my upper layering system by using a brushed nylon uninsulated zip up outer jacket, with both flapped pockets and handwarmer side pockets under them. Layers can then be any color. However, since I don't wear all layers on the hike in to my stand location, some travel outside the pack and the final layers in the pack. Outside the pack is usually a 300wt polarfleece v-neck pull over sweater. Once at the stand I put this on to trap heat from the hike, also, I then don my harness and any layer over that has to be a zip/snap/button closure type. When I'm up the tree and my pack is hoisted up with me, I put on the Arctic Shield boot covers first. I've found it easier to bend before I add other layers. Then I put on a 300wt fleece vest and the brushed nylon camo jacket. I stow a second fleece cap in the vest pocket. In the nylon outer jacket I have my arm guard and tab on one side and my fleece Glomitts in the other pocket. Since the vest and outer jacket are over the harness, I wear a Recon Wrap neck gaiter to stop drafts where the tether exits my collar.

I've modified the Glomitts by stitching a small fleece pocket in the mitt portion of the gloves. The opening of the pocket is towards the tip of the mitt and it is used to hold a dry chemical hand warmer.

I have also modified my nylon outer jacket by stitching a wide strip of elastic under the left armpit. The strip is attached so as to pull the front to the back tight, thus pulling it away from the path of my bowstring.

When I finish hunting, I remove and stow the layers over my harness, and boot shields, in the pack before lowering it.

I also use some nitrile/elastic fabric gloves on the hike in. They keep the hands warm enough for the hike in and climb up the tree. I stow them in my pants pocket and they are kept warm till I need them for lowering the pack, the climb down and hike back. Those gloves are Atlas 370 which I also use at work to protect my hands as a mechanic. I wear large and the fit/grip/dexterity are exceptional. The are also washable. Because I like them and use them so much, I bought a 12pair bag on ebay.

Speaking of ebay, there are some great wool items at bargain prices there.

17-Nov-14
The body warmers on the kidneys do improve temperature immensley. I appreciate everyone's information. Hope to check some stuff out this week and pick some stuff up by the weekend.

18-Nov-14
Bigz I got the socks at an antique shop on Rt 181 in Belchertown going towards Palmer. If you leave R+R and go up main st towards Palmer it will be on your left around 4 or 5 miles up.

18-Nov-14
"Since I dropped 40 lbs. the past couple years the cold weather absolutely makes me miserable while on stand"

LMAO It's called insulation. I'm not fat. Just well insulated.

18-Nov-14
Bigz I have the same problem after losing 50lbs. Never got cold, now always cold, heck even my knees!!! Layers, layers, layers and when that fails I get up and walk.

18-Nov-14
Or maybe we should all gain 40lbs?!

Hell I could think of some amazing ways to do that!

joking of course, good job losing the weight Z!! You prolonged your life by another 20 years, God Bless

18-Nov-14
Start with long Johns and a lot of layer's of fleece. Layer thin to thicker. Also, keep your head covered good. I have a fleece head cover that only exposes my eye area, with my scentlock head cover/hat, with a fleece hat on top of that. Only thing that usually gets cold is my feet and fingers. Happy hunting, keep warm guys!!!

18-Nov-14
Forgot to say, then finally my camo scentlock jacket and pants.

19-Nov-14
Posted in the cold feet thread also. What about for HANDS...my fingers will get so cold the next morning the tips of them are tender and hurt..they turn Wierd colors when cold..it's a blood vessel issue I read up on..are there any battery pack gloves like they have for socks that anyone of you use?

• Sitka Gear