PSEUSER 18-Nov-14
Geitz 18-Nov-14
KOWZDEER 18-Nov-14
Dampland 20-Nov-14
Jeff in MN 20-Nov-14
17-Nov-14

martinjame's embedded Photo
martinjame's embedded Photo
Yep this is a friendly reminder because it happened down by me. I finally got a decent buck, first with gun or bow......only had one antler! I was still pretty excited about it. Called my dad and found out another hunter not more than 10 miles away fell out of his tree stand and broke his back and leg. This was in Crawford County. Please remember to be safe climbing in and out of the stand. Doesn't matter how fast you climb, be sure of your steps, and have a great gun season and rest of bow season.

17-Nov-14
Congrats on the one-racker, nice-looking deer! Sorry to hear about the guy who fell. Happens more than we hear about. I'm getting less and less inclined to climb high these days once it gets cold. A lot easier taking "cat naps" on the ground, too!

17-Nov-14
Great Buck. Congratulations.

18-Nov-14
I was always "that guy" who said , "I don't need a harness, I'll never wear one". I work on ladders and roofs all summer long while painting houses. I don't know if I have matured enough over the last couple seasons or what the reason is but I did go out and get a spider system for myself and I will be making my sons wear the harnesses that have come with my stands. I'm sure it will take some getting used to and I'm hoping it doesn't affect mobility as once My 11 yr old gets his deer I will be out with the bow. I'm definately looking forward to getting back up north, and with the new harness I know I won't become a statistic.

18-Nov-14
Same here crusader.... I always said that I wouldn't wear a safety harness I don't need that I'm too strong or too smart for that to happen to me.......but then I got older and smarter and now I feel naked up there if I don't have it on lol.....one thing I think we are all guilty of doing is not tying off on a ladder stand as you're climbing it or using your harness while trying to use a climber on the way up....ion a lot with a climber and have been recently always kind off everytime i make a stride because it's not just when you're in the tree and set when you're going to fall it could be on the way up!!good luck to everyone have a safe gun season

18-Nov-14
Same here crusader.... I always said that I wouldn't wear a safety harness I don't need that I'm too strong or too smart for that to happen to me.......but then I got older and smarter and now I feel naked up there if I don't have it on lol.....one thing I think we are all guilty of doing is not tying off on a ladder stand as you're climbing it or using your harness while trying to use a climber on the way up....ion a lot with a climber and have been recently always kind off everytime i make a stride because it's not just when you're in the tree and set when you're going to fall it could be on the way up!!good luck to everyone have a safe gun season

18-Nov-14

18-Nov-14
Nice buck!! Coming from someone who fell out of his tree stand, I will never climb up a stand without my harness. Two years ago, I was 23 years old, opening day was in my ladder stand and I normally never wear one. Was simply turning around and my stand was frosty and I slipped and lost my balance and feel 13 feet. Was knocked out and lost feeling in my legs for a couple hours and had to have the fire and rescue come get me a half mile in our property. Thankfully I was able to regain feeling in my legs and there was no significant damage. So everyone please where some type of harness, it can happen so fast. Good luck to all this weekend and be safe!!

18-Nov-14
I never used anything for about 28 years. Since the wife started hunting, we both have harnesses and life lines. Also, always used a lineman's strap in putting up and taking down.

I see no mobility problems at all. The new products now are very hunter friendly and comfortable, unlike the old strap they used to sell

18-Nov-14
great topic.

don't forget the most dangerous time is transitioning between the ladder or sticks and the stand going up or down.

attached with a lifeline or make sure that you're using A linemans belt for that step from the stand to the sticks.

stop. Think. Be safe and have fun hunt!

20-Nov-14
Heading up to the shack in about 30 minutes. Wanted to wish all of you gun hunters (and blaze orange wearing bow hunters) a successful and safe season!

I can't Mobile Bowsite to work on my phone, so unless I come home for Thanksgiving, I will be offline for the next 10 days.

SHOOT STRAIGHT!!

20-Nov-14
Crusader dad, toss those cheapo harnesses that came with stands and get your kids spider or other quality harnesses. Cabelas had an online sale on a good one, there was a link to it in a previous thread here.

• Sitka Gear