Mathews Inc.
Rattle? Bleat Can? Grunts ? what to use?
Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
Richm444 18-Nov-14
Richm444 18-Nov-14
Richm444 18-Nov-14
Richm444 18-Nov-14
Outback 18-Nov-14
bigbuckbob 18-Nov-14
Brian M. 18-Nov-14
Toonces 18-Nov-14
cuntrytocity 18-Nov-14
bigbuckbob 18-Nov-14
bigbuckbob 18-Nov-14
notme 19-Nov-14
jax2009r 19-Nov-14
Bloodtrail 19-Nov-14
jax2009r 19-Nov-14
18-Nov-14
I have ADD so I , for better or worse, am a virtual noise factory out there. I try to limit myself to 15 minute intervals.

I have a Buck Roar, the Can and rattle antlers as well.

What do you use and at what intervals-

When deer are in sight to you cease completely or try to push it ?

I would appreciate your input and experiences.

18-Nov-14
I have ADD so I , for better or worse, am a virtual noise factory out there. I try to limit myself to 15 minute intervals.

18-Nov-14

18-Nov-14
sorry for the repeats - I don't know why they happened

18-Nov-14
Probably the ADD! Lol I tend to try to be fairly quiet. If I get bored maybe Ill flip the can over a few times with a grunt i Or 2 after. But not frequently no more then once an hour for me...

18-Nov-14
I have a grunt call, wheeze call, rattle box and you know what ended up getting me the big buck this year,.....my mouth.

I forgot to take my calls out before the buck appeared, so I grunted with my mouth and he stopped dead in his tracks, I did it again and he walked right to me. NEVER has that happened to me with any type of call for a buck. I've had does come in to a bleat (not a can but a mouth call), but not a buck.

I don't use any calls unless the buck is not a path to my stand or only after I've sat for hours without seeing any deer and try to get one out of their bed by calling. I like to blend into the woods rather than bring attention to my location.

18-Nov-14
I'm the opposite of BBB at this time of year. I grunt aggressively. Every 15-20 minutes. Not just A grunt or two, but Urrrrrp, urrrrp, urp, urp, urp, urp, urp. Like a buck tending a doe. So two long, followed by 4-7 shorts. Like anything, it doesn't work every time, but I've called in quite a few trophy bucks over the years. Different calls have different sounds too, so mix it up. Once you see a buck, slow it down and watch the reaction. If he's coming, stop. If not, only call when he's looking away.

The Can never worked for me, ever. Rattling will still work, but don't overdue it. Once or twice over 3-4 hours, for me anyway. I don't rattle much.

18-Nov-14
The can has rarely failed to turn a buck or a doe when I called them while they were in sight. I never hunt without the can.

Grunts rarely work for me.

18-Nov-14
I got a doe to come into a buck grunt last season, but I can't say for sure if it would work again, but I'd sure as hell try it again.

18-Nov-14
This past Saturday I had 3 different bucks around my tree first thing in the morning. A young spike was chasing a doe and he was grunting constantly and then a fork horn came along and they were both grunting constanting and started a half hearted sparring contest.

A 6 pointer came in with a big does and he was just grunting every minute or so. The doe bedded down in front of my stand and the buck stood there for 2.5 - 3 hours and did the same thing, grunted every minute or so. I tried grunting back, and all he did was look my way. I didn't want to spook them because I was hoping they would head over to Duncan, but instead they just walked away after 3 hours.

Strange how each of us has different experiences.

18-Nov-14
This past Saturday I had 3 different bucks around my tree first thing in the morning. A young spike was chasing a doe and he was grunting constantly and then a fork horn came along and they were both grunting constanting and started a half hearted sparring contest.

A 6 pointer came in with a big does and he was just grunting every minute or so. The doe bedded down in front of my stand and the buck stood there for 2.5 - 3 hours and did the same thing, grunted every minute or so. I tried grunting back, and all he did was look my way. I didn't want to spook them because I was hoping they would head over to Duncan, but instead they just walked away after 3 hours.

Strange how each of us has different experiences.

19-Nov-14
i usually give a good grunt in the morning after my coffee kicks in...lol...ive never had any luck with grunts and rattles..does just stared at me with the can...

19-Nov-14
i find the can call works the best overall.....mixed with a grunt....

19-Nov-14
You have to be in area that holds bigger bucks if you expect to call one in. Grunt calls are great and typically will stop a buck and get him at least interested in you.

Can calls have never ever ever worked for me. I used one for over ten years hoping that one day it would work. I called blindly, I called when I saw bucks....never did a buck show any interest....not only that, I have never heard a doe make that sound in the woods.

Rattling will work. Last week of Oct. and first week of Nov. BUT you HAVE to have an area where an aggressive/dominant buck lives. Otherwise forget it. There's nothing like having a big buck come rushing in all britstled up looking to kick ass. It's amazing when it works. It doesn't happen often.

An often overlooked call is attaching a branch or something heavy to your bow pull up rope. Pull on the rope to make crunching in the leaves under your stand when you call OR if you have a buck that hangs up. He's looking for that deer that just called. And if you give the illusion that the crunching is another deer....you might bring him right in. It has worked alot for me.

19-Nov-14
I have had can calls work numerous times....sometimes the deer come sometimes they look and sometimes they ignore

try it on a deer you pass up....once they start walking hit the can once or twice

• Sitka Gear