WV Mountaineer 27-Nov-14
gobbler 21-Jan-15
bowfisher 21-Jan-15
babysaph 22-Jan-15
Little Bear 22-Jan-15
18-Nov-14

WVBOWHUNTER's embedded Photo
WVBOWHUNTER's embedded Photo
Has anyone heard of a possible new state record killed Mercer Co.? A friend just told me.

18-Nov-14
Sorry its not the best picture and sorry for the sideways post but these image rotation tools just aint working for me. I also was told he scored around 189".

18-Nov-14
Sorry its not the best picture and sorry for the sideways post but these image rotation tools just aint working for me. I also was told he scored around 189".

18-Nov-14

Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
Oh my!

18-Nov-14
My...my....my... We may have a contender here! That's a brute, congrats to the hunter

18-Nov-14
Herd it grossed at 196 5/8 McDowell Co. He's a true giant. Congrats to man you took a trophy of that caliber.

18-Nov-14
Yes sorry it was McDowell Co. He told me the wrong county.

18-Nov-14
Yes congratulations to that guy on taking a trophy of a lifetime.

18-Nov-14
I'd have a hard time not smiling if I shot a buck like that. Congrats to the hunter..what a stud buck!!

18-Nov-14
Congratulations, Chad! Monster deer for a really good guy. So happy for you!

18-Nov-14
Wow, that is huge . Congratulations to the hunter.

18-Nov-14
Yes deff a nice guy just wish I was closer to town id ride over and take a look at it CONGRATS on a true giant!!!!!!

18-Nov-14
Wow nice buck. See? We can have big bucks in this state if we don't shoot em all. Congrats to the hunter.

19-Nov-14
Wow - what a beautiful buck. Yes, JR we can have nice bucks here but it is because that deer was in a limited range weapon only county not one and done! LOL sorry - I will continue to push a two buck limit and not one! But man what a buck!

19-Nov-14
Bow only counties have a one buck limit as well....

19-Nov-14
saw that last night on facebook! congrats to him, i hear it oouldnt have happened to a nicer guy!

19-Nov-14
Great buck.

19-Nov-14
This deer almost reminds me of the buck killed near Twin Falls state park many moons ago and was on the cover of one of Gene Wensel's books -- but I believe that is in Wyoming county. Was that hunters name Hill I believe?

19-Nov-14
Yes Jerry Hill. It is still the state record for non-typical at a score 0f 212 1/8" in Wyoming County in 1986. Also I don't know if anyone else saw it on this past Sunday but the Jerry Hill buck was on Bass Pro Shops King of Bucks. Jerry told the story as the deer lived in Twinn Falls State Park and after talking to the DNR officer Jerry found out that baiting deer was legal in WV. So Jerry started putting some corn and apples out and that buck came off the Park to the bait pile and he shot it on his private land. The buck also was inducted into the King of Bucks Hall of Fame as well. Did not say when it was inducted but I guess maybe this year. So congratulations Jerry!

19-Nov-14

gcoleman's embedded Photo
gcoleman's embedded Photo
view from back i found

19-Nov-14
The hill buck was killed a year after the picture was taken for the Wensel book. The year the picture was taken there was speculation it could have been a new world record typical. When Jerry killed it a year later it had become nontypical.

There was a lot of speculation at the time that it was killed illegally, but that happens all the time with big deer. I wasn't there so I don't know. I'm sure it was investigated and if they had any proof it was killed illegally it wouldn't still be listed .

I saw it when it was being mounted by Bluestone Taxidermy in Hinton and it was impressive. I later heard that Jerry had a replica made and sold the original. I know that Bluestone had a full mount replica of it on display before they closed down.

If Clare gets on here he can probably give a more detailed account because it was his dad that mounted it.

One thing I do know for sure, the hill buck and this new buck were not killed as a spike or 80 inch 8 point. That I can be sure of.

19-Nov-14
Don't pick the fruit before its ripe.... It' tastes better

19-Nov-14
Yea but a limited range weapon one buck county is why the deer get that big. Not as many bucks hammered as other areas. If anything should prove that one and done would work its those 4 counties. Now we might not see deer that big but it would be nice to see some nice bucks. (over 120)

19-Nov-14
JayD, How many deer over 125 have you killed the last 5 years in WV. I don't want to argue about it because there is nothing wrong with shooting smaller bucks. I am just stating that to get big bucks you can't shoot em all. (And small basket racked deer are big to some guys). Nothing wrong with that.

19-Nov-14
Gobbler said it all. That buck was not shot as a "nice" basket rack 8 point. It is nice to see big bucks in our state like that.

19-Nov-14
babysaph,

Wait a second, aren't you the guy talking about killing spikes because their is no use for them to be passed on in pendleton?

19-Nov-14
Chad is a great guy. He sure killed a deer. It grosses 196 and change, almost 197 as a typical. There is a great story to this deer and he was meant to kill it. He has hunted it for a couple years. I won't tell it but, after he told me the whole thing today, I hope he comes on here and tells it. It expresses his determination and dedication.

It was killed legal, earned yesterday in the brutal minus 5 windchill's, and killed by a very committed, deserving deer hunter. I watched him take the meat off the carcass, it wasn't huge. It field dressed 164 pounds and had zero fat. But, those horns are unbelievable. It has few deductions so it will be the new state record, besting the old by a whole bunch. It will finish in the mid 180's as a net typical. Man what a deer. I'll upload one from the taxidermist shop where he works next post. And it was taken in McDowell County. God Bless

19-Nov-14
The remarkable thing is it scored this as a basic 10 point. God Bless

19-Nov-14

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
 WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo

19-Nov-14
If it finishes up netting in mid 180's that will beat the state record gun kill as well. What a great buck!

19-Nov-14
Yes, it is likely going to do that. A certified score will determine it's final placement but, those guys at Mountaineer Heritage know big deer and score a lot of them. So, the numbers they are giving as the initial gross are legitimate. Plus, the deer is so clean with just routine deductions, it wasn't possible to get it off much. It is a great deer for sure and will net very high. God Bless

19-Nov-14

Bennett2012's embedded Photo
Bennett2012's embedded Photo
Stoped in and looked at it today it is what it looks like on here with minimum deductions was told it was grossed by couple different people and they both had it around 196-197 so looking like very good possibility for new record

19-Nov-14
Yep. I will kill any deer that walks in front of me for meat., I am not going to let a deer walk in WV only to be shot by a rifle hunter over the next ridge., now in Iowa or Montana I will. Until the DNR limits the number of of bucks we can kill then I will hunt for meat. You surely don't think I should be the only one passing up deer. But the only way to grow bigger deer is for a statewide law.

19-Nov-14
That is a great buck. A new state record.,

20-Nov-14
Nice buck but how old was he?

20-Nov-14
wv mountaineer, please tell chad to get on here and tell his story!! we'd love to hear it! i thought about calling them and seeing if it was still available to see this afternoon. ive never been to their shop looks like a good first trip is in the making!

20-Nov-14
I've bowhunted Wyoming County for nearly 30-years. In all those years, I've seen some unbelievable bucks and been fortunate enough to harvest a few nice ones. I don't think i've ever seen a buck as big as this one. It's a really beautiful animal. Hunted from Nov, 8th through today (20th) and spent most of those days in the stand from daylight until dark. I've seen at least 15 different bucks and the biggest I've seen is a 9-pt that would score about 110. For all the negative stereo-types we hear in southern WV (many of which are deserved), there are very few places you'll find a whitetail that size and we are truly lucky to hunt here.

20-Nov-14
WVLineman would know, because if i'm not mistaken he once held the WV state typical record.

20-Nov-14
Truly a great deer, these southern counties are about to get blitzed harder than they are now. Too many people starting to know about the good thing we have down here. There are still a lot of Bowhunters that have no idea that WV (or any state for that matter) have a bow only area. The word is out....for that reason, I hate social media!

20-Nov-14
I counted license plates from a bunch of different states in Pinnacle Creek in one year. That was in the early 90's before the mine cam all the way down and long before the Hatfield McCoy trial. The secret has been out for a while. With all the leasing in Wyoming county due to Forestland Group ownership, it shouldn't affect you one bit. God Bless

20-Nov-14
No, it wasn't out as much as it will be. You started a thread on the main forum and in one day there was already a guy who said he didn't know there were bow only counties. There are people in this state that don't (or didn't) know

20-Nov-14
X2 Jason

20-Nov-14
I just got a lease. I'm tired of spikes. Lol

21-Nov-14
That's true, bowhunter. It's been a long time ago. I have to admit, I have a different perspective than most locals. I once sat in a DNR meeting at Twin Falls where one of the locals made the comment "no one from outside Wyoming County should be allowed to hunt here". In front of everyone, I asked the guy if he was a gun-hunter? Of course he was and he talked about all the good times he'd had in another county. I then asked him how he would feel if the residents of the county he gun-hunted in made the same comment at their local DNR meeting that he made. He didn't seem to think that was such a good idea.

Listen, I know people get lucky (it happened to me) and sometimes kill a trophy buck. But you know what? So what? People act like they own these bucks and for anyone else to hunt them is wrong. I love it when someone harvests on of these giants. I also have to admit it makes me sad, too. To think I hunt and work in the environment that an animal like the one Chad killed calls home and to understand how rare it is to see one that big and to know that he is never going to chase another doe is sad. Outsmarting one of these animals isn't easy and I've learned that the hard way since my moment of "luck".

The bottom line is this-I don't care where you're from, you still have to put in your time and do the work. Then, when all that work has been done, you still have to execute the shot. It can all come together perfectly and you can have the buck of a lifetime standing broadside at 30-yards and for a myriad of reasons it doesn't work out. It's happened to me plenty of times and success is something to be proud of.

I think it's safe to say he may never even see an animal as awesome as the one he harvested, much less kill it. Great job, Chad! (Hope I got his name right).

21-Nov-14
i had the chance to hunt the southern counties a few years ago. believe it or not my great grandmother lived in bluewell upon arriving from austria, then moved to texas. anyway, i hunted two weeks straight and saw one squirrel and two birds. plenty of great sign, huge scrapes, destroyed trees, stuff you dont see up here (monroe co) due to the higher density. i was a little taken back at the amount of hunters hunting on atvs with coolers strapped to the back, but hey, its not for me to judge. i had a chance to meet chris clark and look at his monster from 03. hunting down there was the longest two weeks of my life but i enjoyed every minute of it. kinda of why i love bass fishing, just never know whats gonna tap your line or run around the ridge to you, and down there it could be a dream come true on four legs. i respect the folks who make their way down their each year and put the sweat in and sacrifice to ethically chase a true giant. i wish i had more time! good luck to all and congrats to those who have been succesful!

21-Nov-14
Looks like we got another thread started on the main forum title "bow only counties in WV". Here we go!!!!! Anybody want to buy some bowhunting equipment? I'm going to take up professional FB ing

21-Nov-14
You want some cheese with that whine?

My friend killed a tremendous deer bud. Get over your desires of wanting it to yourself. Of the few that will actually come to hunt, very few will have the fortitude to succeed. My goodness man, this place is getting ridiculous.

A guy kills an immature deer, he gets blasted. A guy kills a friggin' state record and it is wrong to be happy for him and share that with others? This is unbelievable. I'm truly lost for words that are civil, beyond these posted here.

22-Nov-14
You are right on WV Mountaineer. It seems like nobody can do anything right on this sight for a few anti this and anti thats. I have not got to hunt the southern counties for deer but I have grouse hunted them when I had dogs. It is rugged terrain, not for the weak or feeble. I lot of work and sweat would go into pursuing big bucks and any trophy even close to Chads is a great accomplishment. Congratulations young man!!!

22-Nov-14
Youre not kiddin Justin I would love to kill one like that myself... and if you look above, I was one of the first to congratulate the hunter and I am far from being someone getting jealous over another hunter killing a big buck. He has shot a buck that any man would be proud of and I'm proud for him. I don't know the guy "from Adam" and would absolutely never put anyone on blast for shooting a deer of any kind with archery equipment because I have shot my share of smaller bucks which I still consider trophies. My problem is with people who have diarrhea of the mouth and make things public that may ( or may not) be their responsibility. Therefore, I hope you got chads permission to put a picture of his deer on the internet and let everyone know what county it was killed in, AND let everyone know that these are bow only counties. I was born and raised right here in Wyoming county, went off to college and moved right back here for work and to raise my family. I have attended multiple meetings since I was 10 years old with my father trying to protect what we have and to keep the rifles out if this county and as you can tell... I take it personally. If you would like to further discuss, please feel fee to contact me 304-923-2430. Good luck to all still bowhunting JC

22-Nov-14
Mountaineer, NOBODY has said anything negative about the mans deer. I think all the comments have been positive. I, myself am thrilled for him. But that's not the issue, the issue is exposing it to the world.

You have always stated that WV is full of big deer and that you run into th all the time. It would be nice if you could post the Latitude and Longitude of each big one you see. I'd appreciate it, thanks

WV has 1.8 million people, the 5 States that border and surround us have over 43 million people. Right now we have no way to limit nonresident sales . And while we do want some nonresidents for the economy, most States out west with desirable animals limit nonresidents to 10-20% of available tags. We have no way to do that. And a 200 inch Typical White tail is a very desirable animal.

27-Nov-14
wycomtman, if you are worried about copy right infringement, just ask Chad yourself. He was there when I took the pics I did. I'm sue he wouldn't be shy to talk with you about the deer, these pics, or anything else short of where it was killed. Good try though. I have zero reason to call you. ZERO. Might be the only thing we have in common is whitetail hunting. I know people who know you. I see your pics. You are successful in your own right. What else do you friggin' want?

Gobbler, you are outta your mind and off your rocker. Your and my definition of big deer aren't the same. You've said time after time 150 inches. I wander just how educated you are in this to think 150 inch deer are realistic as the norm. Besides, what does that have to do with this thread?

Get off the corn feeders, get into remote areas that require leg work, not 4 wheeler gas, you'll see more of them.

I work a lot. Much more than I hunt. You spend more time here than I. Perhaps if you spent the time looking for big deer you spend moaning about the lack of them, you'd find more. It has worked for everyone I know who does it so, it'll work for you. I've actually seen fewer deer, and less horns this year than ever before. But I attribute that to the conditions, not the emotional side of my thought. I'm not calling you out or making it personal. You did that already. I'm just stating the facts.

I saw a 140 or so 10 point in the back of a truck today in Mercer County. Instead of eating turkey, this guy was hunting. In a gun county killing a big deer. HHHMMMM........????????

Less than one year ago, you stated on here that there was no demand for hunting ground in WV. You are living in a sheltered world. It was just a matter of time before someone downed a legal animal in those counties that gets nationwide recognition. Do you propose your idea of deer management wouldn't do just what this deer is going to do? You are all over the radar. Is this about the best management or your desires? I'm honestly confused. You want this but, you deem it necessary to keep quiet. HHHMMMMM.........???????????????

Congrats Chad. You earned him.

21-Jan-15
It is an official new state record. Panel scored at 188 7/8 today. I don't know the gentleman that killed the deer but everything I have heard indicates that he is a nice guy and completely legitimate. I would like to offer a sincere CONGRATULATIONS!! He got to experience what most of us can only dream about. I hope he gets an even bigger one next year.

21-Jan-15
I knew it would be officially scored around now, almost dug this thread up wondering if it had been yet. You answered that question gobbler! Man what a deer, a sincere congratulations from me as well!!

22-Jan-15
Well all I can say is congrats. That is an awesome animal.

22-Jan-15
Heck, I hope I get a bigger one next year. Might as well be selfish and you know the rest of you were thinking the same thing...LOL!

• Sitka Gear