happygolucky 20-Nov-14
Novemberforever 20-Nov-14
Novemberforever 20-Nov-14
Matrix 20-Nov-14
Pete-pec 20-Nov-14
Pete-pec 20-Nov-14
Naz 20-Nov-14
18-Nov-14
Just read an article that said gun deer tag sales are down over 11,000 from the same time last year. Officials are using snow as one the reasons for the lagging sales.

Has anyone else noticed that snow or lack of snow excuse gets used every year? When sales are slow or the harvest is high its because of the snow cover. When the harvest is low its because hunters had a hard time seeing deer.

18-Nov-14
Lack of any antlerless tags up nort may be a factor but You can write the DNR article now per whatever the harvest will be: snow, lack of snow, rain, corn up, late opener, high winds, swirling winds, Badger/Packer game,ect.It's called spin, welcome to politics.

18-Nov-14
Some of that could be former gun-only types buying crossbows and getting out earlier to enjoy the months-long season formerly only enjoyed by archers. Some could indeed be the deep snow and cold weather keeping the "on the fence" types indoors. But a lot could be record procrastination. Seems to get worse all the time.

The number is always a moving target, but has never recovered from the CWD fear factor in '02. Dramatic crash, and never anywhere close since. That said, I believe it's something in the neighborhood of a million different individuals purchasing deer hunting licenses over the past five years or so, showing there's always turnover or shall we say "part-timers" who hunt one year and not the next, then maybe go again some day.

DNR has always been firm on snow: stating some on the ground is good, but heavy snow "in the air" reduces visibility/deer movement and deep on the ground reduces access/hunt effort. Brown seasons (we've had many) are also tougher to see deer/tracks. Ideally, temps in 20s/30s, light winds and clear skies …. but we all know it's rarely ideal. It will be what it will be, and contrary to the many who say there are no deer (and many of them have said the same for 15 years), Wisconsin will still be among the national leaders in harvest and will again be at or near the top in quality. Give us 2-3 mild winters and with no/low antlerless kills, watch the herd explode.

18-Nov-14
All those extra crossbow hunters were simply gun hunters who decided to go to a more crude weapon than the gun! LOL

I'm with November. Some people go hunting to put meat in the freezer. With the money saved between the license and EVERYTHING else you spend at deer camp, you can certainly afford some groceries. No doe? No go!

18-Nov-14
imo the # will be the same. Too convenient to buy the tag, besides how many guys would miss deer camp traditions and a free weekend from da wife for a $28 tag?

18-Nov-14
I think it's $24, but get the CP so am not positive. First-time buyers get it for just $5, and ages 10-11 get discounts, too. Speaking selfishly as a parent of three, wish all the youth (17 and under) licenses were half-price. We give fishing free all the way to age 15; why not hunting half-price until at least then?

Took a closer look at the license/permits numbers sold so far. Sales of bonus antlerless deer permits are down more than 10,000 from last year.

18-Nov-14
" Sales of bonus antlerless deer permits are down more than 10,000 from last year." As I predicted months ago Dr. Deer wanting to "add value" to the antlerless tag from $2 to $12 and $20 for me will dampen the antlerless harvest. Guys won't take a $12 fawn that gives 34 lbs. of boneless meat. Dumb idea by the Dnr in the farmland zones. No whining Naz, I pay $320 to hunt my place in tags and $95 for turkey.

18-Nov-14
Just bought mine today, so add one to their tally.

18-Nov-14
Yeah, $.35/pound is far too expensive for most. Hell, you can get bananas for that and you don't have to waste an expensive bullet on the banana.

19-Nov-14
An interview with Strepp last night had her blaming xbows for the ummm decline in sales. Still though that is only 1% roughly. With time yet to go. They full well know many dont bother to buy a license until they are head to camp. So I would guess sales are going to be higher when the final number comes in.

Strepp also stated that the harvest may be down in the north due to the snow. I could see that to some degree where 4ft has been dumped lately. Overall impact I doubt will be from the snow.

Never once in the interview was a low population in the north. Cited as a potential cause for lower harvest numbers, imagine that!!!

19-Nov-14
If it's not a rainy washout, the opening weekend buck kill should be up significantly in farm country.

19-Nov-14
Weather? They're predicting a warm up for West Central WI. In the 30's with a high near 39 on Sunday. It may be too warm?

19-Nov-14
Isn't it obvious there will be less licenses sold and lower harvest numbers when there is few to no deer in parts of the north. Very few hunters will buy a tag when they won't even see one deer. I expect a record buck kill with buck only in the north and bonus bucks to the south.

19-Nov-14
30s is perfect IMO. Rain and high winds, not so much.

If not a washout, should be an increased buck kill for sure, but far from a record (gun). On the other hand, bow/xbow, even with all the rain this fall, has a good shot at a buck record. Some will say you can't include the crossbow bucks, but there were xbow deer included before (those with disability permits, and those age 65 and over). No way to track it then. Am guessing that bow/xbow buck kill percentage will be 80/20, give or take 5 points.

19-Nov-14
"Once the 9 day season is in the rear view mirror, we can get back to better bowhunting."

Anyone can bowhunt thru the 9 day gun and the following 14 days of ml/gun as well.

19-Nov-14
"Am guessing that bow/xbow buck kill percentage will be 80/20, give or take 5 points"

Nope, not from the numbers I've seen.

19-Nov-14

19-Nov-14
"Yeah, $.35/pound is far too expensive for most."

Actually that fawn would cost .80/lb for a resident and $5/lb for an NR unless we can now buy an antlerless tag without a general license let alone gas, food,lodging,ect. The farmland antlerless harvest will be down due to the $12 money grab.

20-Nov-14
"The Deer trustee volunteers and Dr. Kroll came up with and agreed upon that pricing structure"

Imo the trustee process was and Nrb is a rubber stamp for a preset DNR agenda.Paul Smith was part of this process like You were and He realized he was a pawn in an article he wrote. With antlerless tags being reduced greatly have they all sold out? Nope, because they went from $2 to $12/$20. The antlerless harvest will be reduced in the farmland zones due to the fee hike.That's not what the Dnr wants from a harvest standpoint. Simple law of diminishing returns. Money grab? How about the wolf tags? Pay for the draw, sell 1200 tags@$50/tag for a quota of 150 which was virtually filled in 8 days.

20-Nov-14
Facts are lost on some people.

20-Nov-14
"That they want to invent their own reality that in no way matches reality stikes me as really strange. LOL"

What's strange — bizarre, really — is the continued deception trying to pretend you're someone else.

Lake Michigan-area weather forecast is changing slightly, but still looks like a very windy opener with overnight southwest gales gradually diminishing Saturday to 15-25 mph. Chance of freezing rain/light snow in a.m., chance of rain/drizzle in afternoon with overnight fog. Sunday switch to south/southeast 10-20 mph wind and rain likely. Monday southwest gales, chance of snow or rain.

20-Nov-14

happygolucky's embedded Photo
happygolucky's embedded Photo
"What's strange — bizarre, really — is the continued deception trying to pretend you're someone else. "

20-Nov-14

Novemberforever's Link
As of now there are 100,000 antlerless tags available 2 days before the gun opener. The top 3 trophy counties, Waupaca, Buffalo, and Shawano have the most private land tags available. The $12 tag genius move backfired bigtime. Shocker.

20-Nov-14
The free antlerless tags issued with a general license are only good in herd control units. look at non herd control counties with boatloads of tags for sale. I highly doubt these 100,000 excess tags will drop significantly the next 10 days.Besides, the xbow army should have bought and filled all these tags already.We will see what the net net antlerless harvest is vs. last year even with xbows in the mix.

20-Nov-14
"**That’s a little life hack for those gun deer hunters that live in Marinette, Adams, Clark, Douglas, Juneau counties that sold out of antlerless tags. Buy a bow tag and get your doe tag that way. This one weird trick can get you a doe tag. LOL "

Thanks! I dont know why I didnt think of this. I passed this along to a friend that doesnt bow hunt. He went out and bought a bow license for the doe tag that he will use with his gun.

Also, Howatt +1. I dont know why these guys are arguing with you. You explained it pretty well.

20-Nov-14
SMH

20-Nov-14

20-Nov-14
"Not. $12 antlerless tags is not new. They were only $2 in herd control and CWD zones."

The vast majority of zones where bonus tags are available are CWD and other zones that used to have the "herd control" designation. Many folks bought plenty of $2 "extras" …. I have no problem with $12 on an extra antlerless should I feel the need to shoot another, but many apparently do. Look at year 2000…. no EAB, and TWO free tags with each license sold … an all-time record antlerless harvest.

• Sitka Gear