happygolucky 28-Nov-14
sawtooth 28-Nov-14
Novemberforever 28-Nov-14
retro 28-Nov-14
Antler Whore 30-Nov-14
therealdeal 30-Nov-14
19-Nov-14

Novemberforever's Link
Tricky numbers to dissect but it looks like a 10% increase in brand new participants pre gun season and a 10% defection from the vertical world. Remember 14,000 disabled permits bought archery licenses last year and hunted with an xbow. This year those 14,000 bought xbow tags. Bottom line is a 10% increase in harvest pre gun season when the DNR controls antlerless tags anyway is completely insignificant. Legal bucks harvest has no affect on dpsm year 2,3,4.

19-Nov-14
64,227 total crossbow license. You can dissect the numbers all you want but less the disabled crossbow owners, there was a gain of 50,000 crossbow license. You don't honestly think a guy would purchase a crossbow upgrade if he didn't own or have access to a crossbow.

These numbers are exactly trending like MI. The real numbers will be with the percentage of the harvest is with a crossbow and success rate. Right now it appears it's trending about 33-35% of total harvest.

As success rates increase and crossbow expand, the percentage of bucks killed will move towards the xbow and archery season. When it does, how do you think the 400,000 gun only hunters will react?

This trend was shown in NJ when eventually the archery season harvest eclipsed the gun harvest. This line is getting closer and closer in MI.

When push comes to shove, who will have more weight when WI trends this way? 225,000 archery and crossbow hunters or 400k gun hunters?

Simply put, the crossbow lobby lied. There is really no seen increase in hunter recruitment. Success rates are as we predicted. All they have done is switch the season which the deer was harvested.

But at what cost? Success rates for gun and archery hunters have remained constant for decades. Now there is a switch in harvest between seasons due to crossbow. When we trend like MI and NJ, we will be able to argue our success rates and harvest are not the problem vs. with full inclusion, we are grouped into the problem.

Allowing a separate license/season to be regulated by the DNR, we have a fighting chance to keep our archery season as is and reduction of the crossbow season. Thankfully, the DNR is already seeing the this problem after the first year.

19-Nov-14
Remember it wasn't just disabled that bought the crossbow licsenses it was also those over 55 that could use them if they wanted.

19-Nov-14
'Remember it wasn't just disabled that bought the crossbow licsenses it was also those over 55 that could use them if they wanted"

19-Nov-14
"Allowing a separate license/season to be regulated by the DNR, we have a fighting chance to keep our archery season as is and reduction of the crossbow season. Thankfully, the DNR is already seeing the this problem after the first year. "

Just asking here - do you think the DNR sees this as a problem or they are thankful for the revenue from the added licenses?

19-Nov-14
I agree with happy. What's the downside for the DNR? They get increased revenue and they do not care how many bucks are harvested. They would sell 2 million buck tags if they could which would not affect dpsm in future years one bit.

19-Nov-14
Ronny, not sure why you are bashing your WBH buddy Geitz like that for just specifying the DNR. I'm more interested in what Geitz has to say as he made the comment and I actually value his opinion.

19-Nov-14
I'm more interested in what Geitz has to say as he made the comment and I actually value his opinion.

19-Nov-14
"Allowing a separate license/season to be regulated by the DNR, we have a fighting chance to keep our archery season as is and reduction of the crossbow season. Thankfully, the DNR is already seeing the this problem after the first year. "

Just asking here - do you think the DNR sees this as a problem or they are thankful for the revenue from the added licenses?

Sorry Ronny, but this question is not off topic at all. It is 100% pertinent. Now, we'd heard your insults and blather multiple times already. Please get over "hearing yourself talk" and let Geitz opine. It is you who once again went off topic. You piss in everyone's cereal in any thread you don't start. PLEASE let Geitz reply. We've heard you already.

19-Nov-14
Question - Where do the patron holders fall in this equation? I am a bowhunter with no inkling to use a crossbow.

Or are we thrown out in the weeds never to be counted?

19-Nov-14
Mike, I know you've brought up the patrons license topic and crossbow license before, but I believe you still need to pay $3 to get the crossbow license even being a patrons license holder? I have been a patron for 20 plus years, and I do not have a crossbow license because I did not pay the 3 extra dollars, and therefore, I did not purchase a license and it would most certainly be recorded that way. So I don't think we were forgotten, but instead a statistic if we had indeed paid the 3 bucks. Make sense?

19-Nov-14
Geitz, you're right in some ways, in fact a guy posting here is the owner of three crossbows, and may have bought the upgrade just to register as a crossbow kill (wouldn't surprise anyone here, given the history). Odd that someone who claims to be so against crossbows would own three.

As for simply subtracted the disabled permits from the total, not so fast. You're forgetting a potentially very large segment of "archers" that were actually crossbow-shooting 65 and over folks. I know many just in my small area. Extrapolate that over the whole state.

Crossbows are very likely here to stay no matter what some might wish.

19-Nov-14
Crossbows are here to stay. Keeping the licenses separate is less than irrelevant. Patron holders did not need to buy the $3 license.

19-Nov-14
Gietz, You act surprised that the pro crossbow people lied about hunter recruitment. Most everyone, you included I'm sure knows it was ALL about money/political favor.

19-Nov-14
It won't be managed differently in any way and the data won't be acted upon so there is really no benefit

19-Nov-14
No I'm not mistaken.

19-Nov-14
I agree BW, soon the licenses will be the same and the data, which is interesting, is meaningless as the impact on harvest will be insignificant. Any change to the pregun seasons will be shared equally which I don't see happening.The DNR controls antlerless tags and would gladly sell 2 million buck tags.They simply don't care how many legal bucks are harvested or what age structure is. Nothing will change beyond harvested buck age and book entries will diminish. Public lands will sadly take the brunt of these changes as private land guys will continue to manage the herd/hunters as they see fit.

19-Nov-14
People here agreeing that the licenses will become one are very ill informed or simply do not understand the different ways that laws can be enacted. It is nice to see the barstool biologists have taken up another issue.

19-Nov-14
"Gietz, You act surprised that the pro crossbow people lied about hunter recruitment. Most everyone, you included I'm sure knows it was ALL about money/political favor. "

Exactly. That is why the DNR does not care at all that xbow licenses will climb and vertical bow might decline. As long as they get their $$$$, nothing will change.

19-Nov-14
It's irrelevant whether the licenses become one or not.Track the impact, great, end result is total license revenue will be the same or growing and the DNR could care less about buck harvest which is a product of antlerless tag management which they control. xbow and vertical seasons are now married at the hip as the deer herd will not be significantly impacted. The 400,000 gun only crowd would have to start to make a stink which is highly unlikely.

19-Nov-14
The gun hunter will have to become a Xgunner or else that big buck he's been seeing will most likely be dead. The gun only guys will make a stink when there is record buck kills every yr.

19-Nov-14
The best thing that could happen is that the deer herd is not impacted. Next best thing will be that the gun only hunters do not feel that the buck population has been impacted.

But, and just in case they ever do think it is being impacted, some forward thinking individuals took the time to fight and put measures in place that will isolate the archery hunters from the crossbow hunters.

19-Nov-14
"But, and just in case they ever do think it is being impacted, some forward thinking individuals took the time to fight and put measures in place that will isolate the archery hunters from the crossbow hunters."

For this season and next only correct? And as Wallenfang responded to me in quotes about the xbow "probation period" Ha ha, it becomes business as usual. The 2 year tracking separate weapons will be the least impactful as other states have shown the xbow grows years 3,4,5,ect. The 2 year period was window dressing to placate the hardcore vertical crowd. Nothing of substance will come of the tracking. I hope all the forward thinking folks don't dislocate their shoulder patting themselves on the back as it is meaningless anyway.

19-Nov-14
I am confused on the BIG point of all this or the ah ha moment?

Here in MI we have Xbow season included in archery season and they run at the same time and as of now there is almost a 50/50 split in harvest numbers between archery/crossbow and gun hunters with the gun hunters holding only a 2% harvest edge overall but a bigger edge in hunter numbers overall. The DNR expects that edge to close even more after a few more years but they do not predict it to ever pass 50/50 and doubt it will reach 50/50. If it did wouldn't that be the best of all worlds where all hunters regardless of weapon have the same odds of a harvest? I am not a Xbow advocate but trying to understand the resistance and big point behind the data?

If your seasons have string (archery and Xbow) kills at X and gun kills at X then what difference does it make if the season is separate or the numbers are separate for each? The kills all come from the same pool.

19-Nov-14
Well stated Hammer. Some on here toot their own horns thinking the 2 year "probation period" and data split will mean a reduced xbow season or as RC stated ad nausea, it's a "separate season".Great logic. Bottom line is tracking separate licenses and harvest is meaningless as xbows are here to stay kinda like herpes. The public land guy gets hit hard and private lands feel minimal impact. The DNR could care less how many and what weapon kills a legal buck. License revenue, and control doe harvest are the Dnr goals. Watch how that $12 antlerless money grab works on the harvest. Econ 101, law of diminishing returns.

19-Nov-14
Pete-Pec, yes I have brought up the issue and after talking with my local warden it was brought to my attention that Patron holders are not required to pay the $3 fee in order to get the crossbow license. It is included in the package.

From page 9 of the regulations -

Conservation Patron and Conservation Patron Junior Privileges include: small game, spring and fall turkey licenses and stamp, pheasant stamp, deer firearm, archer, crossbow, general fishing, trapping (proof of trapper education certification or exemption is required), state fishing and waterfowl stamps, and most permit fees. Additionally, Conservation Patron license holders receive a subscription to the DNR magazine and vehicle admission to state parks and related areas, including a state trail pass. Note: The Junior Conservation Patron License does not include the DNR magazine, state park sticker and state trail pass.

My question is do I get counted for both, one or the other or neither?

Seems odd that they wouldn't publish this information.

19-Nov-14
Rancid,

"some forward thinking individuals took the time to fight and put measures in place that will isolate the archery hunters from the crossbow hunters. "

To what end? What difference does it make to overall harvest and how does it being separate impact archery in any way other than less hunters in the woods with you at the same time which is likely all it is about to start with? I understand some have a hate of the weapon itself but if it was inferior would we see the same resistance and how would it impact archery if it was included in the archery season if it was inferior? Other than more bodies messing up your hunt I don't get the point on why the data separation is the be all and end all since the seasons are separate right?

Since I have not hunted in WI since 2007 confirm Xbow hunters hunt 1st or 2nd or at the same time as archery?

20-Nov-14
Geitz +1 - Awesome post!

The lie that always rubbed me wrong, we should see more hunter recruitment because of crossbows. Whenever that claim was stated I always took issue with it. Hasn't happened in any other state and doesn't even pass the common sense test.

I'm somewhat surprised by the high number of crossbow users. The gains will follow Michigan soon to outnumber archers. I'm glad there is a split in the license - forward thinking individuals came up with this. Thanks again Rancid! BC

20-Nov-14
Nov, what "probation" period? The separate tracking of the different weapons will continue. There is no sunset clause or specified period when it will stop. It is a shame that you continue to blather on when the reality is that you have virtually no knowledge of how the law was written.

Everyone is entitled to their ignorance but do all sportsmen a favor and don't continue to spread that ignorance to those who are uninformed but would really like to know the facts.

20-Nov-14
Hammer asked; "To what end? What difference does it make to overall harvest and how does it being separate impact archery in any way other than less hunters in the woods with you at the same time which is likely all it is about to start with?"

To the immediate harvest it will mean nothing. Maybe never amount to anything more than that. But, what it might mean to harvest should game managers see a sharp change is that each weapon and its' relevant impact can be managed independently from each other.

Next he asked; "I understand some have a hate of the weapon itself but if it was inferior would we see the same resistance and how would it impact archery if it was included in the archery season if it was inferior?

The answer is probably not as WI already had lessor weapon laws in place and they were generally well accepted by the hunting public.

Lastly, he said "Other than more bodies messing up your hunt I don't get the point on why the data separation is the be all and end all since the seasons are separate right?

That is probably the simplest answer. Having separate seasons would be a moot point if there was not separate data associated with each weapon. How could any scientific decision be made without corroborating data for each weapon/season?

Currently, crossbow hunters and archery hunters share the exact same season structure. That was set by law for the first two seasons. After the initial first two years, the crossbow season can be altered should the department choose to do so.

20-Nov-14
The data is meaningless as it will NEVER be acted on. I wish this weren't the case, but that is the reality of it.

20-Nov-14
This has been very simple since the time Walker signed in the xbow laws even though hunters voted against them every time - follow the money. The money wins EVERY time. After 2 years, xbows will be further entrenched with far more money in the marketplace and the WDNR's coffers. Their season will not be altered no matter what those guys with their little propeller hats reading the numbers see. The 2 year gig was simply a token to appease. I agree with Bigwoods 100%. I'll take bets on this right now.

20-Nov-14
Bigwoods unfortunately your probably correct. Time will tell,but I'm skeptical also that any great changes in the future will be made in regards to limiting the use and or shortened seasons for the crossbow.

Goal of dept and legislatures apparently is to sell million plus license's. Seems to me it should be renamed DLS....Department of license sales. Getting old and idiotic when all we keep hearing is the need to create more hunters and opportunities.

20-Nov-14
And there are those who have patted themselves on the back for fighting for Plan A for years having to settle for Plan ZZ trying to tell everyone that Plan ZZ was actually what they wanted all along. They lack reality. They think that after another spring vote where the sportsmen voted down xbows that the immediate 96-0 vote for xbows by the Legislature and after our “Sportsman for Walker” hunter Governor signed it in, that it was not about money at all. Yep, 96-0 right after the public said NO. The Governor (who is a hunter) and all about listening to the sportsman, signing YES. The same guy who did listen to sportsmen and got rid of EAB. The same guy who listened to sportsmen and brought in Dr. Kroll (a bust, but an A for effort).

It is and will always be about the money. The naïve will always be naïve. A blind man can see this one from miles away.

20-Nov-14
I gotta agree with ya there Ronny/Howatt/RC/rickflare et al. I think you've convinced yourself by telling yourself over and over that the "out of nowhere" 96-0 Legislature vote was not about money at all. I think you've convinced yourself that money will play no role in the xbow future too. It can't be about money. It is the government after all ;).

20-Nov-14
Happy-+1

20-Nov-14
The claim about hunter recruitment and retention is still unclear. Some say the xbow makes no differance in those areas but I submit they have made a differance in those areas. If you loose 3% of your hunters a year like mi was and then that suddenly stops or drops enough to be noticable then is that not an impact or variable not being looked at? We can't just look at overall numbers still falling but need to look at the slowing rate of decline.

It may be different there cuz u r a few years behind us but our hunter retention and recruitment has changed. We just had a big debate on this recently and reg changes and weapon changes and Apr's all have had an impact in those areas. To say otherwise is to deny reality IMO.

Oh by the way....I have no problem with a xbow being used w/o a scope. With a scope and I dispise them in archery.

20-Nov-14
Happy +2

20-Nov-14
Happy +3

20-Nov-14

Novemberforever's Link
Here's 1 direct result of the trustee/Kroll mensa idea to raise antlerless tags from $2 to $12..As of right now there are 100,000 antlerless tags availble 2 days prior to the gun opener. The top 3 trophy counties, Buffalo, Shawano, and Waupaca have boatloads of private land tags for sale. Great idea for herd reduction.

20-Nov-14
"Great idea for herd reduction." Only if you are of the opinion that the herd needs to be thinned.

20-Nov-14
Happy, that is where you miss the mark. If sportsmen were present at those hearings and voicing their displeasure regarding crossbows then maybe some of those legislators would have thought differently. The fact is, there was virtually no one there doing that. Where were you? Where were the others that are unhappy with the crossbow season?

Whining on the internet carries very little impact to those lawmakers when they have the NRA and other groups telling them to their face that sportsmen want crossbows. Of course whining on the internet is much easier than actually making any real effort.

20-Nov-14
"Only if you are of the opinion that the herd needs to be thinned."

So you are stating the educated big game biologists with great pressure from hunters about lack of deer still over issued all these units by 100,000 tags? Remember, virtually no tags have been issued north of hwy 8. You also really believe hunters concerned about lack of deer will show constraint if tags are available? They killed 28,000 antlerless north of hwy 8 last year while complaining about lack of deer.

20-Nov-14
"Happy, that is where you miss the mark. If sportsmen were present at those hearings and voicing their displeasure regarding crossbows then maybe some of those legislators would have thought differently. The fact is, there was virtually no one there doing that. Where were you? Where were the others that are unhappy with the crossbow season? "

Why even have the votes at the spring hearings? The voters were not listened to. I don't care if 1,000,000 hunters were there; the 96-0 vote tells it all. Money won. The mark was not missed.

"Whining on the internet carries very little impact to those lawmakers when they have the NRA and other groups telling them to their face that sportsmen want crossbows. Of course whining on the internet is much easier than actually making any real effort. "

You call it whining. I call it discussion. That is what blogs are all about right? Wouldn't matter what hunters told the Legislature. They were clearing room in their pockets.

20-Nov-14
Increased success rate = more dead deer. The deer population is lower than in the past. Lower then hunters want/expect. More dead deer will drive it the population lower. Will hunters complain but still buy a license? Will hunters complain and some give up? Is the governor most interested in increasing state dollars? Does the governor have sway over the DNR? Does the governor desire to influence the outcome of anythings to improve his ability to get to the presidency? Does money talk? Which of the many sides have more money? Are they working on the side of the hunter? Are they working on the side of nature/science/rational thought? Do do they just want what they want? Are those increasing their wealth or power willing to push things to the edge and maybe beyond (if they don't think they will get caught, or convicted, or have a net gain from the effort)?

Now, break out he popcorn, cause that riled up the hornet's nest.

20-Nov-14
you guys sure wasted a lot of time on this thread. if the gun hunters see an increase in the buck kill by "any bow" hunters and they have their shnot together, the "bow" season will be shortened or reduced bag limits. Its hilarious how Ronny ejaculates whenever he talks about the "architects" of this xbow structure and pulls his shoulder out of joint while patting himself on the back. In the end he will once again look like a fool as he did when the warden visited him on the first day of gun season a couple years ago.

20-Nov-14
Howatt, you appear manic, adjust any medications as needed.

20-Nov-14
LOL

21-Nov-14
As therealdeal said when to many deer start being killed the xgun/bow season will be shortened not just the Xgun season. Howatt/Ron has to be the most special kind of stupid that walks this earth. ANOTHER year without a nice buck has him acting out in a Rancid manner.

21-Nov-14
Sorry to go against the grain here but I think Howatt nailed it. There are enough guys and groups looking out of the bow season the it will be protected if the data shows bowhunting is not the problem. Blast away guys but I think guys are arguing against a person rather than the actual issue. Part of the reason I dont post here much. Too many teen girls ganging up on people IMO.

21-Nov-14
"There are enough guys and groups looking out of the bow season the it will be protected if the data shows bowhunting is not the problem."

Matrix, I like your enthusiasm! Keep in mind that those same groups fought hard to not allow in xbows at all except for age 65 and the disabled. SCI took out the full page ad in WON. Those groups did not even want them for age 55. The votes went against xbows yet out of nowhere the Legislature landed a 96-0 vote for them and poof full-inclusion. What makes you really think the Legislature would change the xbow season now that even more money is flowing into the industry, via license sales, and probably still into the government's coffers? I'm not buying that at all. It sounds good on paper but it really is lipstick on the pig.

I still want to know how MN and IL have been able to fight off the NRA and not cave to full inclusion.

21-Nov-14
Mike F, I stand corrected. I believe you have a very good question. If there were many Patron holders, it could either mean we were not counted as crossbow license holders, or we were, and these numbers are inflated because of it? I do believe we are not counted, but would like to know if we are counted towards anything with exception other than a Patron holder?

24-Nov-14
happygolucky If you believe the NRA was the sole reason Wisconsin got the crossbow season, you are really out of touch with the facts. Also, lets be correct about the SCI involvement. SCI itself supports all forms of hunting and was not opposed to crossbows. The full page ad you refer to was from the southeast chapter of Wisconsin bowhunters only and was not supported by SCI national or even all the Wisconsin chapters. You should also investigate who actually paid for the ad.

24-Nov-14
Pete-pec

I believe you are questioning why Patron holders received tags good for both crossbow and bow.

There was an error discovered early when the license sales started. This error has been acknowledged by the Dept and next year it will be changed. They are surveying patron license holder to see what weapon they chose to use. Number will be skewed the first year but harvest figures should still be accurate.

24-Nov-14
oldhunter, It is now water over the dam but I am curious to see who paid for the add. Any help is appreciated.

24-Nov-14
Glunker, it was the SE WI Bowhunters who paid for the ad.

Old Hunter, there were no other SCI chapters other than the Bowhunters that appeared at any of the hearings, so to say they were involved would be incorrect.

It was driven by the NRA and the WI Bear Hunters, along with a number of legislators who were too ignorant to understand what was being attempted and proposed.

24-Nov-14
Happy said, "What makes you really think the Legislature would change the xbow season now that even more money is flowing into the industry, via license sales, and probably still into the government's coffers?":

What you are not grasping is that it is no longer up to the legislature to make changes. The law that was passed firmly puts that ability solely with the DNR.

24-Nov-14
Mike, does that mean the DNR can make the xbow season go away after next season or can they just reduce it to say 1 week? I'm trying to understand how much power the DNR has in this decision making.

"It was driven by the NRA and the WI Bear Hunters, along with a number of legislators who were too ignorant to understand what was being attempted and proposed. "

If the part about the legislators being ignorant on the matter is true, shouldn't the Governor, who is a hunter and for the sportsmen, have stepped in and not signed the bill into law?

24-Nov-14
Happy, that is a question I do not know the answer to. I know that after the preliminary two year period they will have the ability to change it but to what degree or extent I cannot say.

Your question about the governor stopping it is not easy, as the people who pushed for the crossbow season are also sportsmen, just sportsmen with a different perspective. Unfortunately, we as bow hunters are a minority among the ranks of sportsmen.

25-Nov-14
"Happy, that is a question I do not know the answer to. I know that after the preliminary two year period they will have the ability to change it but to what degree or extent I cannot say. "

I find it very interesting that the Legislature could not override any decision the DNR makes on the xbow season. I actually have a hard time believing that. Looks like lots of hope out there for the anti-xbow crowd.

25-Nov-14
"If the part about the legislators being ignorant on the matter is true, shouldn't the Governor, who is a hunter and for the sportsmen, have stepped in and not signed the bill into law?"

There was no way the Governor would have not signed the bill. The bill was passed unanimously in the Assembly and all but one vote in the Senate. The bill had support of WCC, WWF, WBHA, NRA and others. If the bill had not been amended to separate season/license, it would still have passed as full inclusion with the same 4 orgs listed above supporting.

The DNR has the power to regulate the crossbow season as it regulates all other seasons. Any changes will go through the "process" beginning with public input, WCC, DNR, NRB, etc...

The crossbow lobby stated there would be know seen effect on crossbows being fully included. Based on this, they should have no reason to believe the season will ever be shortened. If it doesn't, it will always remain concurrent.

The amendment allows the DNR to regulate the season separately if harvest/success rates differ greatly. If the numbers affect other user groups, the Dept has the ability to regulate the season and shorten it if necessary.

If the statute was passed as full inclusion or concurrent seasons, it would affect all user groups( bowhunters, crossbow hunters, disabled and over 65 hunters). Personally, I know a few disabled hunter orgs who were concerned about this. By allowing the Dept to regulate vs. set in statute, the diabled and over 65 crowd still can be address if the crossbow season is shortened. I would very highly doubt the DNR or Administration would ever support a reduction of opportunity for these hunters.

There are very few legislators who hunt. When a powerful organization like the NRA supports something and them, it typically will be listened to.

25-Nov-14
Geitz, the NRA should have NO input on the crossbow what so ever. They do not represent the archery/bow hunters, it would be like the WBH telling the NRA/gun hunters what should be allowed in their season. When I get a call from the NRA I let them have my opinion of their transgression in bowhunting; it is interesting usually the NRA caller agrees. Back in '87' a Wi St. Deer Manager (Eau Clare Deer Classic) stated that we bowhunters have better start regulating ourselves or our season will be regulated by others and will be considered as a game management tool; this point has pass a while back. It is always about the $ and who is receiving it, for example, do you think speargun fishing be allowed for musky, the Eau Claire/Chip Falls St. Rep would be screaming. Enjoy you hunt.

25-Nov-14
Good info Geitz - thanks.

Any idea why the NRA picked on WI but has not pushed MN and IL into full inclusion/concurrent seasons?

25-Nov-14
"Any idea why the NRA picked on WI but has not pushed MN and IL into full inclusion/concurrent seasons?"

They found a couple of allies in the WI Bear Hunters and a certain new female representative. Add in a shady wanna-be lobbyist and the rest is history.

25-Nov-14
Yep... The mighty HRC... cost the NRA membership when I found out they were supporting the HRC... the money came to a halt from this guy and no my extended family and many friends...

The entire issue is BS

10% more pre gun season is not significant?? Ya 10% of nearly zero bucks in buck only counties is a disaster... far from insignificant..and is the reason now the DNR no longer gets my jing either... not supporting worse hunting when in most counties in the north it was crappy before the xgunners.. now it's 10% at a minimum worse... I have better things to do then fight over deer with another 10% of the hunters..

And apparently so do a lot of other guys...according to sales..LOL..

25-Nov-14
Wi was picked on because the bear hunters did the ground work for the NRA and the profit return was huge for anybody in that industry that was promoting xbows behind closed doors. Wi with its large hunter base was the holy grail for the xbow industry as if wi was over taken the surrounding states would then be easily over taken.

26-Nov-14
Would be interesting to know how many crossbows Senator Moulton's and NRB member Kaz's shops sold in the past year, wouldn't it?

When the Senate Natural Resources Committee approved an amendment to establish the crossbow hunting season to run concurrently with the deer bowhunting seasons in late summer, 2013, 16 people testified in favor of AB 194 and four individuals filled out slips in support of it. Nobody testified or filled out a slip against the bill. Senators Kedzie, Moulton, Tiffany and Wirch voted for the bill, while Sen. Miller opposed it.

Groups testifying in support of the bill included the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association, Wisconsin Crossbow Federation, Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, United Sportsmen of Wisconsin, National Rifle Association and two Wisconsin chapters of Safari Club International.

26-Nov-14
"Would be interesting to know how many crossbows Senator Moulton's and NRB member Kaz's shops sold in the past year, wouldn't it?"

Naz, you are baiting out of season. The two people you mention never promoted the crossbow season, and as a matter of fact, are largely responsible for the separate licenses/season.

I would venture a guess that they, along with all other retailers of crossbows, sold many.

What is your agenda in only mentioning those two??

26-Nov-14
No agenda at all. To the best of my knowledge, those two are the only archery shop owners who actually had a vote and like many others, would gain financially from crossbows for all.

Mouldy's Archery website:

"and we are one of the largest Crossbow dealers in Wisconsin"

Buck Rub Archery website:

"Introducing The Crossbow Loft! Buck Rub has dedicated 1,600 square feet just to crossbows! Complete with a test range so you can try before you buy. A full service workshop and the largest selection of models and accessories in the Mid-West!"

26-Nov-14
Yep, money had nothing to do with it and won't come into play going forward...

26-Nov-14
Naz I normally like what you post and agree most times but when you make BS inuendo comments meant to stir trouble for people, I rethink your status. Your dislike is clear but your leading people with those comments trying to imply things. You will deny this again and give excuses and pretend I and others have you all wrong. Capt Mike is correct. You can do better than this. Just say it rather than touching around the edges hoping to sneak in a point.

26-Nov-14
OK, pretty much the same thing, but … wouldn't it be interesting to know how many crossbows those two shops sold in the past year? I think it would open some eyes,, even more than other shops, since these two not only had a vested interest in seeing this pass in Wisconsin, but a vote.

I'm not a big fan but not opposed either, even though I won't be using one unless physically unable to draw bow. if you recall I stated last year that I don't care what my neighboring hunter uses to kill deer on his land, as long as it's legally done. There are very likely more whitetails shot illegally with firearm and bow each year than what we'll see with the crossbow harvest. How many guys hear shots well before and well after legal hours opening weekend of gun, for example? How many archers have you heard of that shoot baited sites after hours, or in non-bait counties, or use another's tag (etc.)? Yes, far more of us "do the right thing," but the number who don't is not minor, either.

26-Nov-14
"Please explain it then. My understanding of the 2 year trial is that at the end of the 2 year the archery season and x-bow season can be merged into one season. "

According to what Capt. Mike said ("What you are not grasping is that it is no longer up to the legislature to make changes. The law that was passed firmly puts that ability solely with the DNR."), the DNR has complete control and therefore, could actually cancel the xbow season.

26-Nov-14
Naz, had you been privy to the negotiations that took place you would know that neither of those two archery shop owners were in favor of a crossbow season. In fact, Sen. Moulton, along with Sen. Kedzie, were the ones responsible for getting the separate seasons done. You just don't hide your agenda very well.

Of course they are now selling crossbows. Why wouldn't they? It is their business. If you are trying to suggest that they supported this issue for their financial gain I will tell you that are as far from correct as possible. I hope this post opens some eyes.

Konk, they will never be merged into one season unless the legislature changes the existing law. They very well might continue to run concurrently but they are set up as separate seasons and not even the DNR can merge them into one season.

26-Nov-14
Sorry Capt but I agree with Naz on this one. Didnt Kaz and Moud both knew it was going thru regardless of their vote??

26-Nov-14
Separate seasons are lipstick on a pig, IMO. If you were opposed to something, would you vote in favor to it? Why? It would pass without your vote anyway, but by voting against at least you stood for your belief.

I don't have an agenda Mike, not one horse in this race. Just pointing out some facts and sharing my opinions in this moment in time, as any hunter here can. You on the other hand have always opposed my posts. Maybe an agenda there?

26-Nov-14
It was all about money and archery shops were included.

26-Nov-14
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Opinions based on facts and first hand knowledge carry more weight with those truly interested in learning, but only if a person truly has any interest in knowing the facts. Then opinions can change.

Naz, while I usually do not agree with you, there have been times that I did. I guess that is because I am more interested in knowing impartial facts and not a personal agenda that is window dressed in "facts." Because I was present for much of the hearings, meetings and visits with senators and representatives, I have to question where you got your facts for this? Obviously it was at least second hand.

In either event, this whole issue is now water over the dam. Moulton and Kaz are enjoying crossbow sales, as they should, instead of allowing potential profits to go to others.

Pasq- yes, they both were well aware that there most definitely would be some sort of crossbow season. That was inevitable. I could go on and on about the many months that Kaz, our SCI chapter and the Bowhunters (Geitz) spent on fighting this issue. In the end, with all representatives and all but one senator in favor of the season, that there would be a season was handwriting on the wall that Stevie Wonder could have read.

At that point, we chose to fight for the separate seasons, something that at least left a possible open door if things went awry, and is also something that no other state has had the vision to do.

I will add that it was the archery manufacturers and not the individual shops that pushed this issue, along with all the other groups that have been named before.

What Naz terms "lipstick on a pig" is the only potential remedy available that will differentiate between the crossbow effort and the archery effort. Personally the only dressing I do to animals is field dressing but apparently some here have other likes. What the heck, we are all entitled to our opinions and likes.

27-Nov-14
Well stateed mike. Naz spouts 2nd and 3rd hand info and then adds his bia and agenda (which stevie wonder can also see). His personal agenda is strong and clear but he tries to couch and hide it with wordsmithing. Lots of people here have called him on it and he replies with "what me? no, Im just stating facts"

27-Nov-14
Look no further than your mighty hunting groups begging for your membership or banquet money... that's the same money that brought you the xbow...and cost WI bowhunters their bow season...

Hunting was crappy before... and in need of serious management changes to improve it in 75% of the state... now in those regions it is at least 10% worse... I can't imagine future sales ever going back for Bow hunters... it's over...as bowhunters leave... they loose the power of a vote...and strength they once had... every year their voice will grow weaker and weaker... and at some point all there will be is gun hunting... you will shorten up the season... other states start Oct 1 for bow season... look for that loss next... then next you will loose days on the end as well...it's is a down hill ride for bowhunters never to recover... that's what other states need to take from this... that they will eventually loose hunters.. at first they will see excitement ...but in 10 years... good luck..lol

27-Nov-14
So Capt Mike, are you saying crossbows weren't just about money and or political favor? Please don't tell me you buy the hunter recruitment bull?

27-Nov-14
Rut, crossbows were most definitely about money and political favors. Just not with respect to Sen. Moulton and Kaz. And no, the hunter recruitment crap is exactly what you called it.

28-Nov-14
"Rut, crossbows were most definitely about money and political favors. "

This is the first time I have seen someone who is in-the-know admit that. Many others have stated it was about money (me included) only to have those claims always refuted, and typically by people in-the-know. Even Howatt/Ronny said "LOL that its all about the money".

After one more year, we'll see how much money impacts what the WDNR decides to do.

28-Nov-14
Antler Whore is the most logical poster in this thread, listen to him please.

Bowhunting is dying and will continue to die, how do you guys not grasp the concept????

28-Nov-14
Another predictable bashing condascending rc post Pathetic

28-Nov-14
And the worlds longest goodbye continues....

30-Nov-14
Don't we all..lol...

Ya don't have the time..LOL.. but still had time to run illegal baits for his poor elderly father as he claimed for his BS excuse.. LOL..take RCs word for what you want..I can smell BS when ever he posts regardless which of the 4 handles he uses... but for guy who can't follow a simple baiting ban...complete ban.. pretty simple.. no grey area... but out right violated the laws on the books??? It's no wonder he thinks everything is fine... he has a different set of rules then the rest of us..... What a DB...

30-Nov-14
AW +1 too funny LOL

• Sitka Gear