Limb Bender 03-Dec-14
Bandicooter 11-Dec-14
mirangutang 11-Dec-14
Limb Bender 13-Dec-14
Limb Bender 14-Dec-14
Owl 29-Dec-14
Limb Bender 01-Jan-15
19-Nov-14
My deer sightings have dropped dramatically the past two years here just south of richmond. I just read some reports from people finding several dead deer in the surrounding counties. I have found 2 deer this season myself. Do we have an EHD problem? Are you seeing less deer and im not just talking about when hunting. Driving around too.

19-Nov-14
I am seeing similar issues. However, I was thinking it was due to no acorn mast from last year. Basically, the same thing that took out all the squirrels had some affect on the deer.

Just my theory, not sure if it's true or not. Overall, sightings down in general.

19-Nov-14
I agree South of Richmond has a problem, found a few dead near water and sightings are way down from past years in our area

19-Nov-14
I called the biologist for this region. He said as far as he knows there no out reak of ehd. He did say every year we have some but never a true outbreak. He also told me my story is the same story he has experienced and many others. He said once the acorns rot and deer have to move we should see an increase. If not then we may have a problem. He wont know until the kill summary comes out later in the spring.

19-Nov-14
The VDGIF posted a preliminary harvest report for the opening weekend of muzzleloader (http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/news/release.asp?id=412). It sounds like with the addition of Sunday hunting, overall harvest numbers are about on par with last year. I know As with many other folks I've seen fewer deer this season (Powhatan), but I'm think that's just because of all the acorns. Haven't seen any evidence of EHD though!

19-Nov-14
I found 2 deer dead the week before bow season. Ehd? Maybe but its normal to find one or two dead every year

19-Nov-14
I also think the growing coyote population will have a fairly significant impact on the smaller deer here in VA.

21-Nov-14
Update. So i talked to the biologist for my region. Se va. He said yes we are having a higher number of ehd in this area than normal. He said the numbers reflect those of the 2001/02 season. He did say howvever that the low number of sightings he thinks is still do to the acorns.

21-Nov-14
it's the acorns mostly, IMO

21-Nov-14
it's the acorns mostly, IMO

23-Nov-14
I heard more reports of EHD today. both reports from two fellows that do not know each other but hunt in Brunswick say it has hit them hard. People finding many dead deer in the creeks and ponds.

03-Dec-14
Talked to Va game and fish today. Headquarters in Richmond. The gentleman told me there haveeen 114 cases reported of EHD in the state of VA. He did say that they understand that many likely have not been reported. He also said what the other regions have said, acorns have been the real culprit of low sightings

11-Dec-14
Good little segment/quiz on EHD in the Jan/Feb edition of Bowhunter Magazine I got in the mail today.

11-Dec-14
Here's an interesting article that highlights some of the main causes of lower harvest rates in the eastern and central part of the state:

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/va-deer-kill-numbers-down-greatly-this-year/article_6bc031d6-8141-11e4-ae06-dfbc409bec94.html

13-Dec-14
so it looks like 3 possible causes. Interested to see what the game commission will do after the season summary is in.

14-Dec-14
So my club got an email from head biologist Matt Knox . Deer harvest is down 17% statewide. Main cause is ehd andiberal doe harvest. Va may need some doe restrictions according to va game and fish.

29-Dec-14
I have reports from fellow hunters finding dead bucks in Powhatan and Hanover. My club in James City County has killed 2 emaciated bucks and 3 with sloughing hooves.

01-Jan-15
Seems everyone is finding a few

• Sitka Gear