gobbler 24-Nov-14
Jim Casto Jr 24-Nov-14
CGBowhunter 24-Nov-14
Jim Casto Jr 24-Nov-14
Babysaph 24-Nov-14
19-Nov-14

Ron Miller's embedded Photo
Ron Miller's embedded Photo
I killed this big Spike and all I can say is, Yippie ! He doesn't rate as high on a scale of 1-10 eating wise but still, Yum Yum ! I know goobler, I made another Thread, I didn't see where that is breaking the Rules on here or that I have to ask Permission from you. As far as I can tell you aren't the Site Moderator even though I am sure you would like to be. I am going to camp tomorrow for a couple more days so, Who knows, I might actually kill another spike before gun season, if so I will post another picture at a later date.

19-Nov-14
Heck, make another thread for it even, LOL.

19-Nov-14
Ron Miller,

Maybe you should get a hobby and not try to poke the hornet's nest. Some parts of your thread seem extremely childish. How old are you?

19-Nov-14
His hobby is trolling but he isn't very good at it.

Let's hear all of ron's supporters! "You go guy". "Great job". "Any deer is a trophy" bull crap.

19-Nov-14
Nice Buck Ron. Are you going to hold out for a four point next? Best of luck the rest of the season

19-Nov-14
Hold out? You're kid'n--right? lol lol

Congratulations, Ron. You do enjoy kill'n and eat'n stuff way too much. :^)

19-Nov-14
If your happy Ron, I'm happy. You are the only one that it should matter too since it is your deer.

I realize his attempt to gouge you fellas but, maybe, just maybe, you have gouged a few here with your endless talking about how things aren't the way you WANT them. God Bless

19-Nov-14
Three for me

20-Nov-14
wvmountaineer....you consistently state us "fellas" are trying to impose our wants and desires on you guys who want your God given right to shoot 3 dinks. Maybe just maybe I get sick and tired of three buck limit being imposed upon me because it's what YOU want. Do you not understand that opposing viewpoints by default are going to state differing opinions?

You should know this is about balanced and healthier deer herd. You want to congratulate and endorse a guy killing what could be 4 or more male deer without shooting a female deer and then coming on the site to troll: you aren't as smart as I previously had given you credit.

20-Nov-14
WVM&M, while what Ron has done killing this deer is not the way I would have done it, it is legal. I'm not sure where the four antlered deer came from either? Maybe I'm not very smart? But, even you have mistakenly killed a button buck in the place of does before. Are you any less guilty in your mind? Sure you are. See, I do understand opposing viewpoints.

You have zero idea of why I feel the way I do. I KNOW why everyone feels the way they do about reducing buck kills. The reasons you are transparent, isn't based on good herd management, the results of what you suggest is good herd management, or if bigger deer are going to come at the costs of what you want. It is based on your wants, justified by your dreams, but not represented with what reality is.

There are a lot of states that followed PA in some areas that hasn't been a success. Do you know why? I do. Which is why I feel the way I do. I know this state has killed more does the last three years than we have bucks. Did you? You should have but, it is apparent you don't or refuse to acknowledge it.

It isn't a light switch. Legitimate Results come over time, not one season. I applaud the DNR for not buckling to the pressure of guys like you. I applaud them for thinking for themselves and keeping all goals in mind when setting the regs, and using their data and their science to do it. Do you? Nope, you moan because a 150" deer isn't committing suicide under your nose.

I'm not split from you in that I want what is best for the deer herd. We are working in that direction as a state. REAL data about over all buck harvest in antler inches, from every big buck state in this country is not far ours right now. We are heading in the right direction. Throwing caution to the wind to change what is undoubtedly, the best opportunity in the country to enjoy God's creation, would be a real fault to appease a group based on wishes.

You keep on telling it like you see it. But, insinuating your fellow hunter needs regulated to the point they aren't to be trusted hunting what is legal, will find you defeated every single time. And ensure these threads keep on coming. There is zero problems with debate. There are extreme issues with condescending tone in it. And, I'm certain those issues are why this thread was started. God Bless

20-Nov-14
Actually, i don't think Ron Miller can kill another buck with his bow. I want to see a three or four point, but another spike would work too.

20-Nov-14
Yes he can kill another buck with his bow, during gun season.

20-Nov-14
He can kill another one this week if he wants. That first "spike" he shot was officially an antlerless deer, hence the title of the thread--I assume.

20-Nov-14
I think he can cause the first little one he killed was not over 3 inches so couldn't he check it in as a doe (antlerless) kill. I might be wrong I sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

20-Nov-14
I guess it also depends on what county. I'm just saying I'm not sure he can get the job done on another fine buck before gun season.

20-Nov-14
His buck would be considered antler less I less than 3 inches.,

20-Nov-14
WVmountaineer...."the omniscient". You know exactly my thoughts and motives but i haven't a clue as to yours.....as you so eloquently stated......which makes you a 'know it all' doesnt it?

Please have the decency to get your facts straight before coming at me with CONDESCENDING statements on anterled vs non-antlered for last three years. You are wrong.

I like a debate.....i dont like trolls and know it alls. Last word is all yours. Im done with this crap mess of a thread

20-Nov-14
Those who don't think Ron Miller can kill another buck with his bow don't know him very well. You should see all the trophy animals he has killed with a bow.

21-Nov-14
Pictures are proof.

21-Nov-14
I’ve tried to rationalize how Ron, could be trolling. He’s buying his license, paying a fee for a lease, paying for his gas, utilizing his time, and shooting “legal” deer. Him shooting what he wants, when he wants, and how he wants isn’t my (or your) business. I honestly don’t know why it, upsets some folks.

Now… if he is trolling, I would have to strongly disagree with WVM&M, when he wrote, “he isn’t very good at it.” I say he’s an expert, perhaps even a genius at it. Over the past couple weeks I’ve watched him catch and release some of you (same) fella’s on multiple occasions. :^)

An old, wise neighbor gave me some advice many years ago and it may be applicable here. He said, "Don't believe everything you think."

:^)

21-Nov-14
Wow, I feel like such an embarrassed idiot. I am so glad you pointed out that he is a genius Jim. I had no idea that we were dealing with a savant.

I am so stupid, I had no idea that I was being played like a fiddle. This is a life changing event for me.

Jim, thank you for allowing me to see the light, Thank You

And Ron, what can I say? If I could only have half of your knowledge, skill, expertise,talent, and abilities at everything in life I could lead a meaningful and fulfilling life.

22-Nov-14
You're most welcome, gobbler. Glad I could be of assistance. :^)

22-Nov-14
You're not bad yourself. To be able to sort thru Ron's posts and pick up on the genius involved says a lot about you too.

To be honest, I think most of us had no clue until you picked up on it and pointed it out to us.

In order to help me understand better what gave it away in order for you to pick up on his genius? Is it where he keeps saying Yum-Yum? If it is, I kept misinterpretating that. I'm so stupid that it sounded like a 5 year old to me. I just couldn't fully appreciate the genius in using terms like that.

I too , remember a wise old farmer that gave me advice years ago that I have never forgot. He said "Son, if it looks like B.S, and smells like B.S., then it's probably B.S."

22-Nov-14
lol lol

That was pretty good too. Thanks. I haven’t had so many laughs since I went to the Municipal Auditorium to see Dennis Miller a few weeks ago. To think, I had to pay for that.

Sorry, I can’t answer your question, because I still don’t think he was trolling, at least not as I understand it. I think he was just having some fun. But if he was, he’s been accommodated in good fashion. Maybe he’ll come along and tell us for sure.

I have learned one thing. Should I ever hear someone say, ol’ gobbler don’t know $%@#, I’ll tell’m they don’t know what they’re talking about.

22-Nov-14
Thank You for the compliment. One thing I have always taken pride in is knowing B.S. when I see it.

23-Nov-14
I want to say, from the bottom of my Heart, Thank You. I have read and re-read this Thread many times, I haven't wiped so many tears in years ! To bad Monday and Tuesday isn't going to be colder, You might ask why ? Because all the Kind and Warm thoughts and feelings you guys have shared on here will keep me warm many many days and nights wile on stand and in an old cold camper ! LOL-- I appreciate the friends I have on here and throughout the State, they know me pretty well. WV Mountaineer hit the nail on the head for part of the reason this Thread was started, I get tired of hearing that Unless you shoot does or big bucks you are less of a bowhunter. That it's terrible to shoot spikes or 4 pts, almost like you are a communist if you do. As long as I feel good about what I shoot and when I shoot it, and it's LEGAL I could care less what the sundays and wv&ms might think ! I think most of you guys pay way to much attention to THEM ! I hate hearing small bucks are called scrubs and dinks, or does are bitch's, they are Whitetails and worthy to be hunted and loved, and Yes, when I kill 1, big or small I am proud of it, WHY SHOULDN'T I BE ? I wasn't Trolling as some have said, but as Jimmy said, I Knew I would get some response, just my way of having fun and pointing you out. Someone asked my age ? , I am 59 and STILL HAVING A BLAST ! LOOKING AT MY RECORDS, I HAVE SPENT TIME IN THE WOODS EVERY DAY SINCE THE LAST PART OF AUGUST. Lord's will, I will spend parts of every day in the woods until the end of February, trapping season closes. I will say this, I think Some of you have lost touch with the average bowhunter in this State, Most guys are happy to be in the woods bowhunting and shooting a couple of deer. Don't get me wrong, I applaud guys that HUNT Hard and hold out for Big-Deer, the effort and dedication they put in, may God bless them ! but to think guys are less than bowhunters for shooting small bucks and does is way off ! I think there are Alot of WANNABEE bowhunters, as my good friend Lonnie said to me 1 time, my wife knows as much about deer hunting as tiffany, lol, and she kills monster bucks ! Doesn't make her a bowhunter. There was a pic of a lady on our meat pole thread and She killed her 1st deer with a bow, and you know what ? She only got Congrats from 3 people, shame , shame on all of us ! I will say this, I am like Jimmy, Gobbler , if people say you are a dummy and don't know much, I gonna say you are wrong, You are a Whole Lot Smarter than I gave You Credit For ! You are a pretty wise Ol Bird ! LOL, Lighten up guys, we are only here for a short time ! As the Holy Scripture say's "for what is your life? It is even a vapour , that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away "

God bless ya, and be safe

23-Nov-14
"I wasn't Trolling as some have said, but as Jimmy said, I Knew I would get some response, "

No that is not Trolling.......so what do you call it?

23-Nov-14
What if he was trolling? It was deserving because if anyone recalls, this all started from a trapping picture Ron put on here that someone didn't like.

23-Nov-14
I'm the one that questioned the pictures of live animals still in traps. As I stated, I had no problems with trapped animals. I only questioned the live pictures . I bought that up because of a concern over how some people may view that. And I am a trapper myself. I would have expressed that concern regardless of who posted it.

I didn't even bring up the fact this is bowsite, not trapsite. A lot on here get bent out of shape when a gun kill shows up on here. But that's ok, I won't make a big deal over that .

But I don't understand how a concern over pictures of live trapped animals prompted a response of posting a 1 inch spike asking people to rate it. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything like that. I honestly don't understand the how the two relate?

23-Nov-14
It's very simple if you don't get excited about shooting something then don't shoot it. Don't criticize people who still enjoy bowhunting the way it used to be before we started thinking of people as great hunters just because they killed a big deer. Mr. Ron Miller is a better hunter than any of us on here. Heck I still get excited about shooting any deer. If you don't, go do something else. That's what it should be all about, not the trophy, we do it for the meat and the enjoyment we get from bowhunting.

23-Nov-14
"But I don't understand how a concern over pictures of live trapped animals prompted a response of posting a 1 inch spike asking people to rate it."

I don't think it did. That was just Don's thought on it. Ron never mentioned the trapping thread in his post. If you read Ron's post (five or six times) I think you'll get the gist of what he's been doing and what he was trying to accomplish.

From what I read,(and bownut got it too) I think, he feels a lot of folks have lost sight of the average WV bowhunter and what their goals are. He acknowledged that "trophy" hunting and holding out for larger bucks is admirable and respects those who do it, but it's not for everyone. It's simply a matter of personal goals, and not for others to question or be judgmental.

As for the trolling. CGBowhunter, if I took that one-liner as the measure of an Internet troll, then, every thread and every poster on every forum of every sort could be called a troll. Every thread invites response...gobbler's and my back and forth posts here notwithstanding. Which I'm still laughing about, btw.

I've known Ron for over 30 years. All of us would like to be as good a bowhunter as he is, and shoot the quality animals he has. Bragging about those things just isn't important to him. I can assure you his personality would not allow him to hold malice towards anyone, and I'm also sure he didn't intend to anger anyone. Make them think, gouge a bit--sure, but not to cause ill will or discord. Don't get me wrong... he's nuts, and doesn't fit anyone's mold, but a sincerely pleasant fellow at heart.

On a personal note... I don't like gun-kill posts on the Bowsite either. I didn't like the trapping posts either, nor do I like seeing fishing posts here. I just don't dislike it enough to complain about. But if one's okay with most of the members, the others should be too--without question. It's not my business to tell folks what, when, and where to post anything they want.

I apologize for the long-winded post. I'm usually a one to two-line zinger-type guy. But unlike Dr. J.R., I do know how to use the edit button. :^)

Edit:

Hey, I think ol' sundaynwv is starting to buy in. Did you notice that he closed a post in another thread with..... YUM? :^)

23-Nov-14
So, if it's just about the pure spirit and enjoyment of bowhunting and getting meat , which I can understand, then why ask people to rate it on a scale of 1-10? , and how does that relate to a concern to pictures of live trapped animals.

Serious question, no sarcasm or cynicism intended.

23-Nov-14
Jim, we must have posted at same time.

23-Nov-14
Well, we've established that Ron is a genius AND the best hunter on bowsite. We need to run him for Governor!

Ok, that is sarcasm, and for that I apologize .

Now on a serious note, and I will be honest and sincere. Ron this is for you also. If one looks back in my posts over the years I don't really have that much of a problem with someone shooting a spike or small buck. My issue is that they can do it 3 times. Ron, you may think that people have lost sight of the average bowhunter. I think the average bowhunter has evolved. That they want more than the status quo. The reason I say that is that more and more people are passing small bucks, improving their land with food plots etc.

The last 2 times that the DNR has asked about the 2 buck limit on the questionair 75% and 85% of people wanted it. To me that shows that hunters are wanting more mature bucks to hunt.

Much like Musky fishing, and I'm no expert there, but no one that I know that fishes for them would ever kill one on purpose. Even though, they know that the next boat by may catch and kill it.

Just because it is legal dosen't mean we have to do it. It's legal to catch and eat a musky, but most true musky fishermen would never do it. That's how I approach deer. I just don't understand hunters that have killed lots of deer shooting small bucks when does are available. Now, I understand that's my opinion, and I'm not trying to force that on anyone. If somebody wants to shoot a spike and it makes them happy, then fine, I'm ok with that. But when people shoot multiple small bucks then that starts affecting other hunters that want to hunt more mature bucks and in my opinion, it starts becoming unfair then.

Now, kids and new hunters are a different story . Let them get a few bucks under their belt in order to gain experience and enjoy the great sport of hunting.

Now, that's as honest and sincere as I can be. I hope I didn't offend anyone because that was not my intent.

And Ron, that free one year subscription to QDMA still stands if you want. That is a sincere offer with no sarcasm intended.

23-Nov-14
Quality deer management is a noble notion, but it's just that... a notion. Unless you've got complete control of 400 to 1,000 acres with like-minded folks all the management in the world isn't going to make a wit of difference.

Ron, killing a spike buck on his small lease in rural Wirt County isn't going to effect the quality of deer in Monroe County. If I pass on small bucks here in Jackson County (which I do), the odds are they'll be hanging in the neighbors tree the first evening of gun season. Our small parcels of land don't lend themselves to "management." I've talked with the neighbors about setting standards on the quality of bucks we shoot. Deaf ears all around. We'll just have to wait until the state implements harvest or antler restrictions.

As for you not understanding the why of folks shooting small deer, that's the whole rub with Ron, it seems, and I agree with him. You really don't need to understand. Why do you think anyone should adhere to your standards? You’ve been extremely fortunate. I know as a physician you're a whole lot brighter than the average bulb. You’ve spent your life in service to others, and have no doubt been personally and financially blessed by your achievements—good for you. You’ve got the knowledge and money to have the lease, buy the equipment, and now the time to set your standards, and enjoy the fruits of your investment. Most folks are far from being able to ever have that privilege.

One guy says, "I'm an American, and I'll never buy a foreign car."

The other guy says, "I'm an American, I'll buy what I want to."

I'm good with that.

24-Nov-14
Well, like I've said before. If we can't or don't do it ourselves it will be dictated to us. The earn a second buck is already here to help control those that can't control themselves.

24-Nov-14
EXACLTY, and isn't that why we have a Game Commission and hire wildlife biologists--to establish the control mechanisms? What an individual chooses to do inside those laws is none of my concern. I think most folks will obey the game laws and comply with bag limits. (That does not apply to the folks where Dr. J.R. lives.)

24-Nov-14
Jim, when you take both Ron's opening post and then that comment. He clearly made this post for no other other reason than to stir the pot and troll. I understand what he is trying to say, and I believe that what is legal and makes you happy is fine. It was his approach that I feel took all the focus off his point and now has him and others trying to justify it.

As far as QDMA. I Have to disagree. I have just 6 acres, I plant food plots on 2 acres of it. Added some water and keep mineral out year around. I have access to 100 acres that neighbors my property, that is just hay and scub with a couple other guys who also hunt it that shoot anything that is brown. Over the last several years my bowhunting partner and I have passed on bucks and yes the other guys shot them.. But since we did not shoot them, that means at least a few bucks will make it a year longer. And we filled our freezers with Does. Well after a few years we went from seeing spikes and forks, to seeing an occasional 8. Now we are seeing a few 8's every year and an occasional 10. And if you look at my 8 this year, it is the largest Buck I have got trail cam pics of or ever taken. It takes years for this to happen (5-10 years). But just because you do not want to dedicate the time and effort. Don't say it does not work. It does and the deer pics we got over the years is proof enough for me.

If you want to be a brown and down hunter, that is fine. It is legal. Enjoy, but don't say QDMA does not work. If you were to read the research and actually try it. You might be surprised.

24-Nov-14
Don't know what I could have said that makes you think I'm a "brown and down" hunter. I just don't have a problem with those that are. The whole point of all this is, I think, is that I, nor Ron, or the brown and downer, has to justify anything to anyone. As far as I'm concerned, if it's within the law, and if the hunter is satisfied, I'm fine with it.

"But just because you do not want to dedicate the time and effort. Don't say it does not work"

"If you were to read the research and actually try it. You might be surprised."

Well.... I guess I'll have to address those. :^) We've been putting out food plots for years. Maybe longer than you've been on the planet--you look like a young guy. lol lol We do what we can to hold deer here. Our situation seems similar to yours, except we have eight acres, and apparently a whole lot more pressure on the deer surrounding it.

I doubt your "management" of six acres is having an impact on your local deer herd any more than our efforts are here. You're most likely doing what we are... bringing (training) them to come on the property as often as possible, therefore we see more deer. If we're lucky a few may get thru, but I don't hold my breath. Last year we had two 3 year old deer on our property. We took both of them. I won't shoot a buck unless he's at least 3. This year.... nothing but yearlings save for one that may be 2. I can't remember the last time I saw a 4 year old deer here.

You may be surprised to know that I have read a lot research, and I was a long time subscriber to QDMA. I concluded a long time ago, their practices work to bring deer on the property. I'm thankful we learned to plant for the critters. It has allowed me and my son many opportunities hunt, see, and shoot many deer. I'm convinced however, that our piddly efforts on 8 acres have had little to no impact on the local deer herd.

You may find this old thread interesting--or not.

http://piratesofarchery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19399

24-Nov-14
I hunt in the only county in the state where good ole boys don't adhere to the game laws. Lol

• Sitka Gear