BOWJO 20-Nov-14
N.J.GRIZ 22-Nov-14
bill v 22-Nov-14
roger 22-Nov-14
Bob McArthur 22-Nov-14
Jeff Durnell 23-Nov-14
19-Nov-14
This happened Sat. afternoon.

Got into a stand on a small property about 2pm. I'm sitting 30 from the back of the house facing west. Deer will approach mostly walking right by the left side of the home or from the road out to the right side of the home. There is a small 5 acre green field to the west. A treestand has been on the property line for the last couple of years now with a couple of grounds blinds on the top edge and a new ladder stand at the bottom edge of the field. We have never seen anyone hunting those stands.

I'm sitting there and have not seen a deer yet. At 4 pm 2 crossbow hunters show up at the bottom of the field. I can see with the bino's that its and older guy and a teenager, father and son I presume. The father heads across the bottom of field to the ladder stand and the kid heads right towards me to the stand thats only 75 yds away from me on the property line. I'm thinking why are they coming so late? well atleast he's getting the kid out. The father stops before the stand and I can tell he spoked deer, Oh well. I watch the father struggle to climb the ladder with the x-bow in hand, Yikes!

I watch the kid climb and holy smokes-- No Safety Harness- He sat there the rest of the time not connected. I had to bite my tounge not to ruin his day and mine. I can't believe his father taught him to be unsafe like that. He's sitting straight in front of me so I can see him the whole time. He played on his phone the whole time. With 15 min of shooting light a deer slips in past the house and comes right to me, when I shoot it he turns and runs close to the kid and crashes. That got that kids attention and hes moving around trying to get ready. I'm now hoping he doesn't fall.

I still can't believe that father lets him in that stand without a harness. My plan is to bag a couple of harnesses, write a note and leave my # in the bag too. I'll attach it to the ladder. Hope they get the message. I wonder if it will cause me any problems.

Bill V

20-Nov-14
Bill, I think what you are planning is a great idea! If nothing else, you supplied them with the equipment that could potentially save their lives. You have "planted the seed", so to speak.

20-Nov-14
Great idea Bill. Another suggestion might be to print a few news articles of hunters that have fell and left loved ones behind and include with the harness.

20-Nov-14
Great thought Bill and JB..

20-Nov-14
Don't be surprised if they don't want your help or advice. I tried to help a father and son duo with the harness thing... offered to supply them for free, I had them in the truck... and they refused. They even argued why they were better off without them. Whatever. You're on your own.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 11 people that I know personally who never wear them. Some of them have been bowhunting 30-45 years. I hope their luck holds out.

20-Nov-14
JB, I thought of that. Thought maybe I should scare the crap out of that kid with stories but, I rethought that because of his age(minor) figured it wasn't a good way to go with that kid. Don't want him to think I'm giving him a hard time. If I get a response back, I'll tell him some stories of guys we all know or who I know that have fallen.

I have no idea how this will go but, I have to try.

Be safe out there guys!

Bill V.

20-Nov-14
I think some folks think for some reason if you use a ladder stand, you don't need a safety harness.

Nice gesture, even if they don't take ya up on it!

20-Nov-14
Not much different than smoking, chewing tobacco, drinking and driving, etc. No amount of education/information will help some people. I'd be surprised if there are many hunters out there today that aren't aware of the dangers associated with treestand hunting. Anymore most commercial treestands come with safety information enclosed and many include a cheap harness. Heck I've even seen the Amish using harness's.

20-Nov-14
Very thoughtful Bill! Sounds to me like inexperienced bowhunters and they may appreciate the gesture.

I too have witnessed some very experienced bowhunters who refuse to wear a harness, and as Jeff said, they are addiment about not wanting to wear one. Now that is a shame!

22-Nov-14
I've been hunting for 65 yrs. and this is the first time i'm wearing one.The age thing ya know.Griz

22-Nov-14
Glad to hear it george

Bill v

22-Nov-14
After watching archery and other types of hunters for three decades and a couple of years, I've come to a conclusion:.......You will NOT fix stupid, no matter how hard you try.

22-Nov-14
Good luck Bill. I've stopped trying to save people from themselves, after all, ER doctors and undertakers need to keep busy.

23-Nov-14
One of the bad things about a (hyper)'civilized' society is we're too far removed from nature and its checks and balances. Humans stand to benefit from natural selection too.

• Sitka Gear