WausauDug 21-Nov-14
swobo319 21-Nov-14
ahunter55 21-Nov-14
pineriverbowman 21-Nov-14
pineriverbowman 21-Nov-14
Matrix 21-Nov-14
naturelives 21-Nov-14
20-Nov-14
This is a wi gun season thread if not your thing then back off!!!! Stop heard da turdy pointer this morning and it immediately put me in deer camp mode... still havent heard the second week of deer camp yet but I know it will be loud and.proud in the old shack fri night

20-Nov-14
This is a wi gun season thread if not your thing then back off!!!! Stop heard da turdy pointer this morning and it immediately put me in deer camp mode... still havent heard the second week of deer camp yet but I know it will be loud and.proud in the old shack fri night

20-Nov-14
I have been down on deer hunting all year. Partly because of things I need to get done and partly because of lack of sign and lack of anything big on camera.

So, what got me going? When I checked sign on an 80 we hunt not expecting much track there actually was more than I expected in the 10 inches of snow. That helped but what really got me going was two pictures of a nice 10 point, or maybe even two different 10 pointers. Sure he might have just been passing thru while chasing a doe but hey he was there and could be back.

Have not heard the tirdy pointer yet this year but I will and that might wake me up a little more.

20-Nov-14
I CANT STAND THE GUN HUNT BUT I GET PUMPED UP WHEN I WALK INTO GANDER MOUNTAIN AND SOME 12 YEAR KID STARTS TELLING ME ABOUT HIS NEW CLOTHS AND WHERE HE IS GOING HUNTING WITH HIS GRANDPA BRINGS BACK WHEN I LOVED IT. GOOD LUCK

20-Nov-14
no idea why my post was caps

20-Nov-14
" I get pumped looking at the calendar and seeing it only lasts 9 days and then quiet bowhunting will return. Stoked to see the orange guys in the rear view mirror "

there are 14 more days of gun hunting beyond the 9 days.Do bowhunters need to wear blaze orange during those 2 weeks as well?

20-Nov-14

WildBill's embedded Photo
I saw this guy's rub/scrape line during bow but never saw him in daylight. I hope he and his buddies stuck around. I'd rather have gotten him with my bow but I don't get up north often so I'll take my opportunities whenever I can.

20-Nov-14
Put it this way, I Hunt, Trap, and Fish everything I can, anytime I can. I have my favorites within those activity's, Bow hunting, Steelhead fishing, etc. But, When it's gun season, I will be at deer camp in the cheq national forest trekking through the wildest places WI has. Muzzleloader season if I have a tag, I will be out there with my Hawkins where ever I am. Ice fishing, I will be after Bull bluegills. Spring, steelhead, and on and on. I love being out there doing it period.

20-Nov-14

20-Nov-14
I am 55 so a 20oz cup of Starbucks Italian roast and three heaping teaspoons of Metamucil usually does it for me.

There is a smell in the air when Summer is waning and Fall is close. I will walk out my door and take some deep breaths knowing tree sitting is close.

20-Nov-14
What gets me pumped? When the cold and snow arrive, usually Dec late season. I don't get to excited until then. Trail camera pictures of big bucks is a plus early on in the season during the Rut but keep in mind those deer often are searching for does and traveling and could be from as far as 5 miles away or further, most are not resident bucks and will bail out of an area quickly.

20-Nov-14
I love the gun season as much as I love bowhunting. We as bowhunters get 100+ days to hunt. The camps and camaraderie with gun season are special. I love talking on the 2way radios with the crew to see what everyone is seeing. It is awesome hearing a shot and having an idea someone in the group was successful. After all day sits, that first beer is amazing. The meals are extraordinary. Life is great with God providing the landscape.

20-Nov-14
Big bucks on cam, preparation, buck grunts, turkey gobbles, food plots.

20-Nov-14
Happygolucky I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm so damn pumped to get camp. Heading out tonight.

20-Nov-14

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
It's just another day of hunting for me. Don't really get excited for it anymore. I still go and God willing I will be out there Saturday morning with the rest of them. This guy has been hanging around a couple weeks now and if he gives me a good shot opperrunity I might pull the trigger.

20-Nov-14

stagetek's embedded Photo
stagetek's embedded Photo
When my son shows up with a big smile on his face and tells me he can't wait to get up-north !

20-Nov-14
For me it's introducing someone new to the sport of hunting. I have a really good friend who will be gun hunting for only his second season. He had a younger brother who was big into hunting, his brother was tragically killed in a car accident two years ago. My friend Eric said he wanted to start hunting so he could feel like he was closer to his brother. He doesn't have land to hunt so last year I asked my dad if he could hunt with us. We have 150 acres and there is only two of us that hunt it so there was plenty of room. Unfortunately he didn't have any luck last year but he saw deer every time he went out so it kept him interested. I took him turkey hunting this spring for the first time and he was able to shoot his first bird. The coolest thing I was ever able to be apart of. I've never seen someone shake so much and not be able to talk. Such a great experience, after that hunt he was hooked!! So I'm really hoping this year he can get it done. Buck or doe I could care less. I just want him to get a deer. Hopefully his brother will be looking down and send a dandy buck his way :)

20-Nov-14
Great story PSEUSER. That is exactly what the $5 first time hunter license is all about.

20-Nov-14

Naz 's Link
Every year it seems to get busier this time of year, and my focus and preparation isn't there. But it's still such a short period, and Wisconsin's biggest hunting tradition; can't imagine missing opening morning.

Jeff, just for you … .Da Turdy Point buck (linked)!

20-Nov-14
I listen to Da Turdy Point buck a few days leading up to gun season every year. Great tune and gets you ready to go!

20-Nov-14
I'm with you brew!

20-Nov-14
Taking a nice dump in the morning so I don't have to take a dump in the woods in the single digit temps!

20-Nov-14
What gets me pumped is the turning of fall leaves, the crispness of the fall morning air, reminiscing on all the good hunts I had with dad and staying in the old cabin, that first big bowl of chili during the gun season, sitting in the stand Thanksgiving morning knowing your going to eat yourself into a coma later. Sharing a tree with my best buddy during bow season. All this stuff never gets old and thats what its all about.

21-Nov-14
I'm with a few of the other guys, I don't get excited for gun season. But thinking of my sons and brother in law out there in stands I have placed. Them guys having a chance to get a deer out of one of "my" spots has me excited for them. I will once again be guiding my youngest, last year was too cold for him:-(. The thought of seeing the look on his face if he gets a deer gets me going. The family, the beer, and traditions of this week get me going. I just can't get excited about the thought of having to police our land from a bunch of yahoos that think if they see standing corn they can make a deer drive. Bow season, however, everything gets me going. From aug.1 it is at the forefront of nearly all my thoughts. I am hooked on this often frustrating sport we call bow hunting.

21-Nov-14
totally stoked I'm done lurking. Time to jump from the tree and get after them. The "hunt" of tracking, walking, sneaking, creeping and getting close to a buck on the ground is the same excitement as the "shot" process of bowhunting. Granted this is not best if your hunting an 80 but our great public land and the bucks are out there. Good luck everyone and remember "dead bucks tell no lies!"

21-Nov-14
I have no expectations of taking a deer on opening day this year...went and checked my gun stand and saw very little sign, but for me that doesnt matter. We have 11 guys that stay at our buck camp, and as long as someone gets something we are all happy. I know there are other places that I could hunt (and have hunted) where I would see more deer, but for me, bowhunting is the type of deer hunting I take seriously. Gun hunting is more for tradition and comraderie. These are the few short days when I get to spend time with some great friends, and some years, these are the only days I get to spend with them!

Good luck to everyone! Be safe and have fun!

21-Nov-14

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I've never gun hunted Biggame but Ws. seems to have like a "family" tradition when it comes to Deer Camp. I think the fellowship is probably more important that the kill but just adds a little frosting on the cake. I'm guessing many kids have entered adulthood their 1st Deer Camp experience. I think it's a great thing.

Zebrakiller-I'm that G-Pa & my g-sons make MY Bowhunting even more enjoyable.

21-Nov-14
DA TURDY pointer is a definite classic. Thanks for the link NAZ just got done listening to it.Now to pick up my son from school at noon and header up eye.

21-Nov-14
DA TURDY pointer is a definite classic. Thanks for the link NAZ just got done listening to it.Now to pick up my son from school at noon and header up eye.

21-Nov-14

Matrix's embedded Photo
Matrix's embedded Photo
Put a roof on my 20 foot ladder today because of all the rain in the forecast. Overlooking a clearcut swamp with standing corn on each side.

21-Nov-14
The Big woods hunt northern Bayfield county, never know what you will see. The sound of the browning A bolt 25-06 with the boss a sound like no other the sight of a Big boy hot on a Doe Good luck n Safe hunting.

• Sitka Gear