happygolucky 20-Nov-14
10orbetter 20-Nov-14
FIP 20-Nov-14
Novemberforever 20-Nov-14
Stinky Jim 20-Nov-14
Matrix 20-Nov-14
20-Nov-14
WARNING NOT A BOWHUNTING POST!

100 years ago today the famous Jordan buck was shot in Wisconsin. Even though it is no longer the World Record it's mass makes it one of the most impressive deer ever shot. One thing I find interesting is that it was shot with a 25/20, for those not familiar with that round it's about the power of a 22 Magnum rimfire but in those days the bullets were not as good as they are today. Given the choice between a 1914 25/20 and a 2014 22Mag I would take the 22MAg.

20-Nov-14
That's interesting stuff Zinger. Can you imagine hunting with a .22? That's kind of nuts.

20-Nov-14
i think you can take meds for for a split personality

20-Nov-14
The old timers liked to use a 22 LR for hunting deer during settlers season. The sound if heard would appear to have come from a long ways away. Disclaimer: I have had no personal experience with settlers season. Just saying, that is what I have heard.

20-Nov-14

Naz 's Link
Great reminder of the greatest 10-pointer of all time. And, what a story behind this deer. Boone & Crockett Club wrote about it this fall (linked).

20-Nov-14
I just saw the story on the Jordan Buck on a Midwest Whitetails or one of those shows. What a great story. Naz's link tells some of the story. The show had the original rack that Bass Pro Shops owns. The poor guy never knew it was accepted as the world record at the time.

20-Nov-14
Thanks for sharing and reminding us that even with all of its problems, Wisconsin is Gods country. No begetter place to hunt deer and never will be. As for modern world records, the king buck is the new world record. F BC!

20-Nov-14
Great Buck.

Apparently more than just the old timers use 22's. The buck I shot this year had a 22 in his neck. The buck I shot 3 years ago had a 22 in the neck. Its quiet.

20-Nov-14
Still the U.S. world record. 30 inch inside spread. mass measurements of 7 inches. Amazing deer.

20-Nov-14
"I just saw the story on the Jordan Buck on a Midwest Whitetails or one of those shows".

I saw that too. It was on North American Whitetails. I'm not a big Gordon Whittington but he did a real good job on this story. The most interesting part (that I wasn't aware of) was the fact that Jordan had given the buck to a taxidermist and then the taxidermist took off. The buck head was purchased at a yard sale years later in MN by Jordan's nephew of all people.

20-Nov-14
I read it as well. I guess I didnt know much about the story. I learned a lot. Great deer.

• Sitka Gear