extreme 21-Nov-14
SixLomaz 21-Nov-14
drslyr 21-Nov-14
notme 21-Nov-14
wapiti 24-Nov-14
Irontail 25-Nov-14
spike78 25-Nov-14
21-Nov-14
Is anyone eating venison liver? If you are, how are you preparing it and how are you cooking it?

21-Nov-14

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Absolutely! I just have mine with onions nothing special. I slice it down around half inch each and cook in frying pan. See pic.

21-Nov-14
I slice it like spike's then roll it in flour with some salt and pepper and fry it in a cast iron skillet with butter and bacon grease.

21-Nov-14
If the liver looks clean (no spots, dry out shriveled, or other obvious problems) I do the same as above minus the flour. Onions, bacon, cast iron skillet plus salt and pepper. Yummy.

21-Nov-14
Might want to read this from the DEEP 2014 Hunting and trapping guide

DEER LIVER CONSUMPTION ADVISORY The Connecticut Departments of Public Health (DPH) and Environmental Protection advise sportsmen to limit their consumption of deer liver. Analysis of livers collected from 49 hunter-killed deer in 1991 indicated that some samples had unacceptably high levels of cadmium, a toxic metal. Sportsmen should note this advisory is only for liver and not for deer meat. Because kidneys also concentrate cadmium, it is recommended that this organ not be consumed. For those who wish to continue to consume liver from deer despite this warning, the following recommendations are made:

1.Eat the liver of younger deer. 2.Reduce the number of meals of deer liver to no more than a few per year.

High levels of cadmium in deer livers are not unusual in the northeastern U.S., and with this advisory Connecticut joins several other states in this region that have issued similar warnings. For further information about cadmium toxicity call DPH at (860)509-7742.

21-Nov-14
had some last night same way liver,onions, and bacon in a cast iron pan with fresh bread. great meal for my wife and i

21-Nov-14
That warning is from 1991 when the market was inundated with cadmium jewelery from China. Notice the insidious suggestion to take young deer if liver is to be consumed. That is DEEP telling you it is OK to kill the young of the year despite Walt Disney's Bambi.

21-Nov-14
Deer Eat Jewelry?

21-Nov-14
do think they bought it at walmart ?

24-Nov-14
That is a beautiful picture. I would trim a bit of that sinew stuff from the edges of the back straps.

25-Nov-14
Couldn't pay me to eat liver at all why would you want to eat a organ when there is plenty of great tasting meat on the animal . Liver and heart taste the same full of iron it's like putting copper in your mouth . Just plan nasty !!!!!! . I cook it down for my dogs they enjoy it .

25-Nov-14
I thought about it wapiti but was running short on time as I still had to grind up the shoulders. I used to cut meat at a grocery store and I enjoy it but after all that I almost just want to bring it to get done. The whole process just cost 20 bucks in vacuum bags but took longer then I wanted.

• Sitka Gear