Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
whaler 21-Nov-14
Legolas 21-Nov-14
whaler 21-Nov-14
Garbanzo 21-Nov-14
whaler 21-Nov-14
21-Nov-14
Got all set up with the climber by 5:45. Had a deer stomping around close, couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe.

7:15 spot some movement up a bit on a ridge Im about halfway down. Doe and skipper. They are downwind, smoke cover scent works well! Had a 2 pointer (left antler gone) dogging them. He was chasing the doe around. Skippy had to run to catch up. I could have taken the buck but obviously not what I am looking for.

8:30 just about ready to call it quits when i see a HORSE walking through the woods. Big 6 pointer, probably largest Ive seen. He gave me a shot about 30 yards, clipped a branch though. There are lots of low lying bushes and trees at this spot. He stood around for a bit longer but didn't present another shot opportunity.

bummed out but Im glad I didn't wound him. Will be back out tomorrow AM! Great morning, seems like southern CT is not yet in lockdown.

21-Nov-14
Whaler, "Smoke Cover scent"? Sounds interesting.

21-Nov-14
smoke your clothes, gloves, hat, boots.

Never heard of this? its catching on. I really never use my scent blocker spray anymore. Especially after it gets cold in the season, deer get more used to the smell of smoke.

try it out! get a beehive smoker on amazon, use some leaves and some sticks/woodchips.

21-Nov-14
Hmmm interesting... I'm hunting the Quinnipiac River State park which lies between the Wilbur Cross parkway and the Quinnipiac river, maybe I should try a car exhaust cover sent.

21-Nov-14
absolutely. Take it up a notch and get some muck from the low tide quinny and use that as face paint.

• Sitka Gear