notme 24-Nov-14
BeaconHunter 24-Nov-14
BeaconHunter 24-Nov-14
SixLomaz 24-Nov-14
FifteenUp 25-Nov-14
HunterBrad 26-Nov-14
Richm444 26-Nov-14
21-Nov-14
This morning, as I was tracking the deer I shot with my bow at 7 am, I found a Wildgame Innovations game camera strapped to a tree located on the private property I hunt with landowner's permission. Since I 100% know that I am the only one with such permission for this 47 acres Woodbridge property, I took the camera, left a note with landowner's name and phone number attached to the tree as per landowner instructions. The camera owner, young man maybe in his 18 - 24, left a picture of his face behind along with pictures of various deer roaming the property since 11-14-2014.

If by any chance this young hunter is visiting this forum please know that your camera was not stolen. It can be recovered from landowner after a phone call at the number provided in the pouch hanging in the same tree were the camera was. At this time DEEP and the local police were not notified. Thank you.

21-Nov-14

SixLomaz's embedded Photo
Here is the picture ...

21-Nov-14

21-Nov-14
Great move,well done.

21-Nov-14
NICE JOB Well done

21-Nov-14
By the way did u get ur deer??

21-Nov-14
We don't want to see him, any good deer? Lol

21-Nov-14
can we see the deer pics too?

keep us posted on the outcome

21-Nov-14
Well played.

22-Nov-14
Nice way to handle it.

24-Nov-14

That morning two deer enter the field (picture a rectangle) on the opposite side where my blind was located, about 140 yards away. The blind is positioned in brush half way on one of the longer rectangle sides. Quickly they closed in to 68 yards moving diagonally from one corner to the other, following one of their travel patterns. I was ready with my Excalibur Matrix 355 crossbow when both stopped at 68 yards. I steadied my grip, breathed in and out twice, inhaled in one more time and let half air out while the 70 yards mark on the scope rested on the deer closest to me, aimed at the opposing front shoulder. The deer was quartering away at 45-50 degree angle when I squeezed the trigger and let the 18" Black Eagle Executioner arrow fly. The Wasp Boss 100gr fixed broadhead cut thru some intestine, clipped the liver and deflated one lung. Even with all that damage the deer had the strength to make a run for the cover in the nearby young forest. Before I took up the blood trail I waited 35 more minutes watching 2 more deer coming and leaving the field. It was rather difficult tracking job as the blood droplets were small and widely spaced, but I found the deer still alive, too weak to move. I had to put another arrow thru the heart to finish the hunt. Upon examining the body I found the exit hole plugged with intestines explaining the blood droplets.

Hunting with a crossbow from the ground IMHO makes tracking harder as both entry and exit hole are almost horizontal. Until the body cavity fills up with blood there will be no blood trail to follow. From the point of impact it took almost 70 yards to find the first drop of blood at the edge of the forest. Luckily I followed the deer with my eyes and it left good tracks on the ground as it ran. He came in on a route usually walked by does and by the time I saw the antlers it was too late. The other one had bigger antlers, clearly visible from 74 yards, but he was partially hidden by the younger buck.

24-Nov-14
The young hunter did not contact the landowner yet. The note I placed on the tree is still there in the same position. He will stop by sooner or later and depending on his character he may or may not follow up to recover the camera. Only time will tell. There is plenty space for two hunters and I do not mind sharing the property. The problem here is that if you do not own the land then you have to ask for permission otherwise you become a trespasser and a poacher which leads to consequences. Given his age I believe corrections need to be applied before he goes on and gets himself in bigger trouble.

24-Nov-14
Congrats on the deer

24-Nov-14
congrats on the deer!

24-Nov-14
I hunt beacon falls/ bethany state land. Had a wildgame innovations camera stolen a couple months ago. Can you post a pic of the camera? If it resembles mine I may be able find the paperwork and see if the serial number matches. I know it's a longshot but worth a try

24-Nov-14

BeaconHunter's MOBILE embedded Photo
BeaconHunter's MOBILE embedded Photo

Mine was a Blade 5. Looks very similar to this but is a dark greenish color

24-Nov-14

No it was not that model. It was this one - Rage 6.

25-Nov-14
If you don't mind sharing then how about sharing some with me!? Lol

26-Nov-14
You definitely did the right thing. I hope he shows up to collect his camera. To be honest, this could be a teaching moment for a young hunter. I wouldn't be so quick to denigrate him. Once he's spoken to, if he presents himself to be difficult, then that's a different story. I'm more prone to forgiveness and correcting someone before knocking them upside the head.

26-Nov-14
my Moultrees require a code so if it gets stolen at least they cant use it - I cable lock them anyway

• Sitka Gear