Kdog 25-Nov-14
Novemberforever 25-Nov-14
Naz 25-Nov-14
Naz 01-Dec-14
Antler Whore 02-Dec-14
Antler Whore 02-Dec-14
21-Nov-14

Novemberforever's Link
This is amazing. Net affest of xbows was zero in total sales. Gun sales thru last nite are down 120,000. Wow!

21-Nov-14
So does that mean they can drop the x-gun season next yr since it did not add revenue? 120,000 less gun hunters, SWEET!

21-Nov-14
You're looking at the data wrong November, gun sales through yesterday were down 28,467, still a lot, but nothing like 2002 CWD fear factor year. Could be a record sales day in excess of 100K today but still will be down. You're comparing sales through yesterday with sales through opening day of 2013.

Purple Heart patrons took a huge leap, and regular Patrons are up slightly. Biggest drops have been in resident gun (-19K+), resident sports (-3K+) and resident new buyer and nonresident gun (both -2K+).

21-Nov-14
Not in tune with last day sales but 100k in 1 day?

21-Nov-14
Yes, actually a number of recent seasons were in that ballpark -- record procrastination.

Quick scan and the 2012 stats came up. That year there were 614,435 gun deer licenses sold by midnight, Nov.16, the night prior to the opener. "Between 4 and 5 p.m. Friday (Nov. 16, 2012), deer license sales peaked at 200 licenses sold every minute. 105,948 licenses sold Friday before the season opener, a record one-day sale." Keep in mind that thousands of "new" (or procrastinating) hunters continue to buy in-season, too.

21-Nov-14
Wow imagine if the als system went down today I would say at this point the bow/xbow sales are legitand i was surprised that it was a push

21-Nov-14
I was at Fleet Farm earlier and the license sales line was very long...

21-Nov-14
Nov. Lets get a hacker on it asap! LOL

21-Nov-14
Novemberforever, you must be new to WI gun deer lic sales. Its a last minujte rush as fleet farm every year. You popped your cork over nothing. Sad to see bowhunter numbers drop so sharply. Sadder to see all the crossbow numner so high too.

21-Nov-14
An unknown number of the "bow hunter" count that "dropped" were actually crossbow hunters over age 65, and those with disabled permits. How many over 65 that hunted with crossbows is a big unknown, but I'd guess it to be fairly significant. I know several just in my small area. The average Wisconsin hunter is well into his mid- to upper 40s; more than 50,000 are age 65 and over. How many of those hunt with crossbow?

A quick check with U.S. Census Bureau stats shows Wisconsin had 777,000+ persons age 65 and over in 2010. How many of them were hunters? Without knowing how many age 65 and over actually hunted with crossbow in the past and were counted as bowhunters, we can't really say we lost those "bowhunters" (who were already using crossbow).

21-Nov-14
It's really amazing there are deer left to hunt after seeing the stats... add in that a huge number of hunters are cramped into public ground ...not really sure what exactly the draw is.... around my areas.. I have seen nothing on camera or in sign from scouting for 3 years now worth getting out of bed for....never thought I'd see so many people this excited about pretty much nothing to hunt in a lot of areas...to each his own...I will keep my money.. LOL

22-Nov-14
I was at Fleet Farm last night and the license sales line was longer than I've ever seen.

22-Nov-14
Someone know the correct figures then?

22-Nov-14
2014 Licensing Quick Facts

(Sales through midnight, November 21, 2014

License Sales

589,830 total Deer Gun Hunters (down 4% from same time last year)

Resident deer licenses - 545,430

Nonresident deer licenses - 30,751

10/11 year old Mentored Gun Deer licenses (13,649), up slightly from last year

105,174 licenses sold Friday before the season opener

60% of gun deer licenses were sold in the month of November

More licenses were sold on the Internet than any other location (23,499, nearly 4%)

Sales will continue throughout the deer season.

Female Gun Hunters

Females participation increased slightly (60,880), 10.3% of total gun hunters

Hunters come to Wisconsin from all 50 states and 19 foreign countries

27% of 10 & 11 Year Old Mentored Hunters were female

Females represented 35% of resident adult First Time Gun Deer licenses and 36% of resident First

Time Junior Gun Deer licenses

First Time Gun Deer License Hunters

21,862 First Time Buyer Licenses

11,445 resident adult gun deer

7,528 resident junior gun deer

2,889 nonresident gun deer

40% of Resident First Time Buyers were youth (17 years of age and under)

Of the adult First Time Gun Deer License purchasers:

18% between the age of 20-29

15% between the age of 30-39

12% between the age of 40-49

10% between the age of 50-59

3% senior citizens (65 and above)

24-Nov-14
4% decline is significant. Ceos are fired for those drops i suspect the harvest to be low this year. Too much corn up Deep snow up nort Fog/rain on day 2 Ml season s/b really good

24-Nov-14
IMO, a big part of the decline was the buck only in the northern forest based the harsh winter and poor forecast. I would expect a decline in sales.

24-Nov-14
I tend to agree with Geitz in regard to all the buck only units and poor projections affecting sales. I think it could have been worse than 4% but 4% hurts the DNR's coffers.

24-Nov-14
72% of total dnr revenue comes from deer license sales Ouch

24-Nov-14
November I think you read that wrong. Here is what Paul Smith wrote:

"Deer hunting licenses form the bulk of DNR hunting license revenue. For the fiscal year that ended June 30, resident and nonresident deer hunting revenues were $19.9 million, 72% of the DNR's total hunting license revenue."

That does not mean that 72% of total dnr revenue comes from deer license sales.

25-Nov-14
Just think of the drop if they wouldn't allow the toilet paper license fee AKA as the First Time license what a croc that give away license is,especially allowing non-residents to buy it. There are some shifty, crafty folks running that "deal".

25-Nov-14
50,000 nrs bought bow/gun tags which is 8 mill in revenue so find another 333,000 locals@$24 and its the same revenue except all the tourist $$$$ the nrs drop besides, most nrs are family comin home anyway

25-Nov-14
The non resident 1st time license is half price, not $5 like a resident 1st time license. That means $80 instead of $160. I think Wisconsin has a good deal for non-residents, especially compared to what it costs in some other states. Seems like a good thing to me, but then again I am a non resident :).

25-Nov-14
So am i kdog and just passed my 16 th buck today gladly pay the 160x2

25-Nov-14
Agree that buck-only units kept a lot of once a year meat hunters home, as did all the cold/snow leading up to the opener.

01-Dec-14
RC, the sales graphic you show is with the big increase in crossbow licenses. Gun sales were way down. It is a "Wow" — but not totally unexpected given the poor expectations up north after a severe winter and many buck-only units (not to mention the heavy snow limiting access for the many old-timers who hunt up north). Not picking on the old duffers, but let's be honest: how many are in shape for walking in deep snow? Even where the snow wasnt deep, the extreme cold and icy conditions the two weeks prior to the opener were enough to convince my 85-year-old dad to sit this one out. Hoping to get him out with one of my kids for next year's opener, if he's still alive and kicking.

02-Dec-14
And if he only would have made it as a outdoor writer... just imagine... LOL.. That's why you bother him Naz... way hilarious

Apparently 4% have joined me in boycotting ... I am a trend setter .. LOL..who new?

Now if we can slap another 4% or so less on them the next few seasons.... talk about a frigging Ouch!!!

02-Dec-14
Next year's hunt will be even worse... you shot off all these bucks in 19 counties plus they allowed all the does killed on youth tags...LOL... So let's see... 115 lb fork bucks for all next fall... yyyyyessssss!

What will these idiots do for a encore?? Maybe add a few more tags for killing deer with Sling shots...?? Why not?? Dead is dead.. right.. kill em all.. when they're gone they're gone.... we can always hint rabbits and grouse instead... LOL

• Sitka Gear