WBowhunt 30-Nov-14
ken 05-Dec-14
Babysaph 05-Dec-14
Babysaph 05-Dec-14
Big-Otis-Jeff 05-Dec-14
gobbler 05-Dec-14
hookman 07-Dec-14
22-Nov-14
I just saw in another forum where a guy said you could not hunt this Sunday even in bow only counties because it is b4 the opening of gun season and the law states we cannot hunt on a Sunday that falls b4 gun season. But if there is no gun season in the bow only counties why would they be closed to hunting this Sunday?

22-Nov-14
I think Ken Wilson addressed that in this forum a while back--and he would know.

I'm guessing it's as simple as how the statute is written. No Sunday hunting on the Sunday prior to the opening of a gun season, and then, it fails make exception for the bow-only counties, which means, no Sunday hunting statewide.

22-Nov-14
Well that's the thing - it fails to mention the 4 counties I believe. It say no Sunday hunting on a Sunday preceding a big game season. I don't think there is any big game season opening in either of those 4 counties and it does not say all Sunday hunting so you would think it would be allowed not unless I am missing that there is a big game season starting in those counties on Monday???? LOL regs can be confusing....

22-Nov-14
That's right, and it's just not this Sumday. The statute applies to the Sunday before all big game openers if it opens on Monday.

Like Muzzleloading season .

It used to apply to Doe season also, but since it was moved to Thur., Fri., Sat., it dosen't apply.

22-Nov-14
Gobbler - I think you are meaning that yes that is right that you cannot hunt tomorrow in any county including the 4. Is there some where in the regulations that says the 4 bow only counties are included in this? If not then I don't see how they are included if there is no big game season starting there Monday. Or maybe I missed it and there is a big game season starting there for boar or bear?

22-Nov-14
There's no bear or boar and right now I don't have time to look up where it's at but even though there is no gun opener in those 4 counties they are closed to hunting tomorrow. The law applies to all 55 counties.

22-Nov-14
The law reads state wide that includes the four bow only countys.

22-Nov-14
Thank you Ken - I was just looking in the regulations and they read:

Sunday Hunting In any county where Sunday hunting has not been prohibited by local election, Sunday hunting is legal on private land only with written permission of the landowner. Hunting is prohibited on any Sunday (November 23, 2014, December 7, 2014 and April 26, 2015) preceding the Monday opening of a big game season.

Just copied and paste that from the regulations. They may want to think about changing them. Either include that this is the law in all counties regardless or take out the preceding the Monday of a big game season since there are no big game seasons opening on Monday in the 4 bow only counties.

I must admit if I were hunting there this weekend and looked at the regulations - I would think that it must not mean here because there is no big game season opening in this county on Monday. I am not a lawyer but I would think it would be hard to ticket or fine someone because of this. Now turkey season would be different because I do believe they have Spring Gobbler season there - of course I don't know why one would be hunting the Sunday before Spring Gobbler season since nothing should be in season then ... LOL

22-Nov-14
Section 20-2-5 of chapter 20 of the code.Check your regs for season open dates.also this very subject was addressed on the chris Lawrence show this morning and explained by the guest DNR officer.

22-Nov-14
Ken - is that Section 20-2-5 in the regulations? I cannot believe that I am the only one who would be confused by how it is worded in the regulations. Seriously - if there is no big game season opening in the 4 bow only counties on Monday and you read the regulations - wouldn't it make you at least question that hunting tomorrow does not deal with those 4 counties?

And I am not trying to make a huge deal out of this but man it could be a touchy issue with the wording.

Again Ken --- thank you

22-Nov-14
That is section 20-2-5 of the wv code book.As for changing it the DNR cannot change this it was set in code by the wv legislature and would have to be changed by the legislature.

22-Nov-14
I just looked at section 20-2-5 online and unless it is worded differently in the written book - once again it states you cannot hunt on a Sunday preceding a Big Game Season

So for me if I read that the county I am hunting in does not have a Big Game Season opening on this Monday - I am thinking it is ok to hunt. So if the DNR intends for the people not to hunt in the 4 only counties - I would be changing the wording of that code or section.

I don't know maybe I am just board today and going over-board on this....

22-Nov-14
Takes legislative action to change code.

22-Nov-14
sundaynwv - would you want to change the code or push the issue that how it is worded means you can hunt there tomorrow because there is no opening big game season on Monday in those counties and hunting should be allowed then? I don't know myself - all I am saying is the wording is very iffy one way or another....

Oh I am not for sure if I have thanked you for your effort on getting Sunday hunting for counties that don't allow it now - so thank you!

22-Nov-14
JD You can think what you want but the law is the law.The DNR didn't write the law but they will enforce it

22-Nov-14
Let me ask you all another question. A deer was hit by a car about 2 weeks ago and was just found today and it was a good 10pt. Does it have to be checked in as a bow kill?

22-Nov-14
No, you can call DNR officer and get a tag for it as a road kill. But cover it up and don't take antlers until you get ahold of one. If you get caught with antlers from in unchecked deer you will get in trouble.

22-Nov-14
JayD,

You are welcome.

22-Nov-14
Ken - I was just asking for someone to explain the law to me - again if I were in one of those counties hunting this weekend and I checked the regulations I would be really confused as to if I could hunt tomorrow or not just because of the wording. Does it not say no hunting on the Sunday preceding a Monday opening a big game season.... ok that is fine and clear - so I would not be hunting in say like Jefferson county.

But - there is not a opening big game season on Monday for the 4 bow only counties - so where in that written statement in the regulations does it include the 4 bow only counties is all that I am asking?

Am I the only one who finds the statement in the regulations confusing for those 4 counties?

22-Nov-14
Makes no sense.

22-Nov-14
How does that make sense. Why does it matter what day the season comes in?

22-Nov-14
Explain why you can't hunt on Sunday before buck season. (Besides because the legislature says so) what is the rationale?

23-Nov-14
I think their reasoning is with a lot folks being out there in their camps or where ever if today was open to hunt there may be the temptation to bring tomorrow's season in a day earlier by some. Or maybe they want to give the deer some time to chill and not be disturbed- I don't have a problem with either or what the reason is if that is what they want.

I do have a problem with them saying that this includes the 4 bow only counties when there is no big game season opening there tomorrow. Again if I were there and looked at the regulations I would think I could hunt. Then if I get caught doing something that I thought was legal - they could come down on me pretty hard because of a screwed up writing of the law! That is not right - I ask if THE LAW IS THE LAW - what part of that law includes the 4 bow only counties? - again for umpteenth time they have no big game season opening tomorrow! To me it seems simple with the way it is in the regs but I guess somewhere in the code there is a secret code that includes the 4 bow only counties....

That section which states Sundays preceding a opening Monday of a big game season - seems to me it precludes the 4 bow only counties and this should not be an implied law for all counties - when it has that silliness in it.

23-Nov-14
This law was taken to court in 2007 and the court up held the law as written

23-Nov-14
I understand that but what is the reason behind if? If you can hunt on Sunday then why not before a season opener?

23-Nov-14
So you are saying JayD guys may kill a deer with a rifle on the Sunday before a season opener? What stops them from doing that any day?

23-Nov-14
JR I will try and make this as simple as I can.First no he can not hunt on sunday period prior to a big game opener.Second the reason is that the legislature passed the law.

23-Nov-14
Because guys are at camp and out in the woods scouting.

23-Nov-14
JR - I don't know what to tell you anymore - I am going to contact my local lawmakers this week and call the DNR to have this explain to me.

24-Nov-14
Ken, why did the legislature pass this? I understood they passed it but why? The only answer I got was from gobbler . Guys were scouting., I am smart enough to know they passed it but I was just trying to find out why.

25-Nov-14
They can and do make amendements to any legislation lots of times this is done to kill a bill.This bill was introduced with none of these amendments in it.I along with others were in the comm. meeting in the house when it passed out of there.The delegate that made the amendment then voted no on the bill the bill passed by one vote out of comm.went to the floor and was amended there and passed the full house.went to the senate and passed the full senate there and was signed into law by governor bob wise.thats a brief history of the bill.As to the reason why they don't have to give a reason why its because they can

25-Nov-14
That's what I thought. They can.

26-Nov-14
When I read the law I interpret it as saying, "Yes, you can hunt in the bow-only counties the Sunday before buck gun season." Pretty sad a message board is needed to clarify it. Thank you JayD for bring it up and thank you Ken for explaining it. We go through this every year but I think it is a conversation needed on here every year as it may save someone a game violation.

As a Bowhunter I think the law needs changed. Gun season is not part of my world and when I go south to hunt, I have no idea why a season back in my home county would have any bearing on my hunting in the bow zone. Just my 2-cents.

26-Nov-14
I think we need a lawyer to frequent this web site! Sad that we have hundreds of combined years worth of hunters on here at any given time and no one can decipher these game laws.

26-Nov-14
Bingo drop tine . That is why I ask people on here for advice for game laws.

26-Nov-14
Bowsite is great for advice or opinions. I try to keep up on it as best as I can but I would advise anyone that has a question to call the local game officer or regional office for confirmation . Also, if it's a tricky question write down date and who you talked to in case something happens.

In front of a Magistrate it's better to say I talked to officer Jones on Sept. 9 and he told me this, rather than so and so on bowsite told me this. Unless it's Ken, as a DNR Commissioner he knows the law, and if it's something he's not sure of he will tell you.

28-Nov-14
If I don't understand a law completely then I will not take the chance of breaking one. It would not be worth the embarassment or shame of breaking a law to me. Hunting means too much to me to abuse it. On the other hand it is good that everyone wants to be sure of the laws by asking questions. The dumbest question is one that is never asked.

30-Nov-14
I am really confused by this. So by this logic, does it also mean that you must wear hunter orange in the bow counties, when a big game season is open? "

05-Dec-14
This sunday December 7th is closed for hunting in the counties that have sunday hunting due to muzzloader season coming in on Monday December the 8th

05-Dec-14
But why?

05-Dec-14
But why? Because they can. That's right. I forgot. Lol

05-Dec-14
what about before the upcoming doe hunt and family hunts?

05-Dec-14
Before any big game opener that opens on Monday. If it opens Tuesday thru Sat. It does not apply.

07-Dec-14
Good answer Gobbler.

• Sitka Gear