10orbetter 24-Nov-14
10orbetter 24-Nov-14
Novice 24-Nov-14
Novice 24-Nov-14
alderrub 24-Nov-14
10orbetter 25-Nov-14
Per48R 25-Nov-14
24-Nov-14
First of all congrats to menasha. That gold ball was a long time coming. As for public hunting, good luck & let us know if you find something decent. There are some not too distant places, such as the rat river wildlife area & a couple of dnr land spots. Unfortunately, when I checked some out last year there were vehicles there every time even during the middle of the week all bow season. Can't imagine what gun season would be like. Have some friends that live near some of the dnr land & they won't even bother going there. The other option would be checking with some of his teammates because some of them have to be in the same boat missing opening. There are plenty of hunting families in Menasha & some connected with the coaching staff. Good luck.

24-Nov-14
Check the dnr website LANDS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC you mite be able to find some MFL =managed forest crop land they have a really nice map setup.

24-Nov-14
Try 41 north to state highway 47. Go 47 north to Black Creek. Turn left at Black Creek on state highway 54. Go SW on 54 to Herman Rd. Turn left on Herman RD. You will be in the Mack State Wildlife Area. Try off of Herman Rd. You might find some luck there. Also try surrounding farmers and don't be afraid to ask to hunt. Tell them your story, and I will bet you find a nice spot. Hope that helps. Good Luck! Oh, you are looking at about 40 minutes total to drive there. once you are 45.

If you have the time and are willing to drive, go all the way up to Boulder Lake north of the Menomonee Indian Nation. You will be in the Nicolet National Forest in 1.25 hours. If it was me, that is where I would go! To get there, go 41 north to HY 47 north to Shawano and take 55 through the Menomonee Nation to Boulder Lake. Take a right on County highway WW and a left on US Forest Service Rd 2116. Hop off anywhere in there and you might find yourself shooting a 1.5 year old buck. It's so beautiful, it is worth the drive!

If you choose either of these and get a deer, please post it for everyone to enjoy.

24-Nov-14
bgbuckslyr- you have to cut over on HY A in Appleton either way to save time getting to 47. Good hunting!

24-Nov-14
That reminds me. If you're going the direction 10 pointed you in, you can try the Navarino state wildlife area too. Follow same general directions. Navarino is not far from black Creek. Again, about 45 min from menasha.

24-Nov-14
That reminds me. If you're going the direction 10 pointed you in, you can try the Navarino state wildlife area too. Follow same general directions. Navarino is not far from black Creek. Again, about 45 min from menasha.

24-Nov-14
Had a cabin on boulder lake for many years. Lots of good land to hunt!

25-Nov-14
Absolutely Novice. Hunted that area many times.

25-Nov-14
I live in Neenah. The public land is hunted really hard during gun. I don't go out. Not an enjoyable experience. BUT if you want to go out, I suggest you pick a place other hunters will not. Far from a parking area, NOT the edge of a farm field, not some place you can get a several hundred yards shot. Not some place easy to walk to and nearly impossible to not get lost. A little tough walking weeds out most of the other hunters.

I would grab a GPS. Move further in after the morning shooting stops. Go in deep, into the thicker woods or better yet marsh grass. And not to get lost or turned a round, walk out before dark using your GPS and or trail markers. Bring someone with you willing to help drag out a deer. Odds are real slim you BOTH get a deer, so do it as a team.

• Sitka Gear