therealdeal 13-Jan-15
Helgermite 14-Jan-15
GVS 24-Jan-15
GVS 25-Jan-15
Pasquinell 25-Jan-15
FRD. 567 26-Jan-15
dc-archer 27-Jan-15
24-Nov-14
It's about time for another recipe post. Give us some of your favorite venison, wild game, or side dish recipes. Even a recipe post needs to be debate-free so this is not a competition, just post what has worked for you.

Here is one of our easy recipes. Soak venison chops in Coca Cola overnight in the fridge. Next day dump off the coke and soak in marinade of your choice for a few hours. Put on the grill flipping a few times, being careful not to overcook. Warning - if you start taste sampling them right off the grill they will not make it to the table. Melts in your mouth.

What are your recipes?

24-Nov-14
I like using ground venison in my chili. It makes the chili better for you too! 2 lbs venison burger, 2 cans tomato sauce, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can baked beans, 2 packets chili powder, 1 packet taco seasoning (I've also added celery and potatoes from time to time). Cook in crockpot on low for 8 hours. No noodles! Bake up some corn bread and put it right in the chili.

I've also started putting some of my chops/steaks in with a can of bacon, cheddar, potato soup. I've used the Campbell's Chunky variety and cut the steaks and chops into small strips.

Bacon wrapped venison is also very good! Just wrap your steaks in bacon with a few toothpicks and put 'em on the grill for a few minutes on each side. Just remember to pull the toothpicks out before eating.

I haven't tried the coke marinade idea but that sounds good!

24-Nov-14
OK, here is my first of 10 killer ways to eat that deer. Lay out some chops or steaks, thinner the better. Mix Philly cream cheese, onions, Mushrooms, and A-1 steak sauce. Paint the meat with the mixture.

Roll up, wrap with 1 or 2 pieces of Bacon. Put in oven at 359 and cook ungil Bacon is crunchy. You will love it.

I serve them with steak fries covered with butter and garlic.

25-Nov-14

vmthtr's embedded Photo
vmthtr's embedded Photo
Deer backstrap. Bacon- thin sliced and cheap toothpicks cream cheese Kikkoman terakyi-soy sauce marinade garlic powder (not garlic salt!) pepper pepper-Jack cheese- thin slices 1 link of deer sausage- cut or shredded into fine pieces. (I use Jimmy Dean Hot) Jalapenos- remove seeds and cut into slivers onion- Cut into slivers 1in long meat tenderizer mallet

Lay the backstap out and cut 3/4 in filets.

Take a meat tenderizer and beat until the meat is flattened out to the size of a softball.

Now dip the meat into a shallow dish of the Kikkoman marinade. Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.

Now sprinkle some of your shredded deer sausage in the middle. (I brown sausage and melt cream cheese together and add with spoon)

Now spread cream cheese on one entire side of the meat. The more the better.

Now sprinkle some of your shredded deer sausage in the middle. (I brown sausage and melt cream cheese together and add with spoon)

Add your onions and Jalapeno slivers. I usually us 1 or 2 Jap. slivers and 2 or 3 onion slivers. Now take one side of the meat and roll it all up like a sushi roll. Wrap the roll in bacon and secure with toothpicks. Now cook on the grill until the bacon is cooked like you like it. About five minutes before you think they are completely done add the slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt. Remove and cool for a couple of minutes (the cream cheese will be very hot) and enjoy.

27-Nov-14
Shredded venison for sandwiches: 1 venison ball roast from hind quarter 1 jar of midget dill pickles 1 jar of chilli sauce cook over night "8 hours" in a large crock pot, or oven at 225. Drain juice and shred meat. Serve hot. The pickles will mostly disintegrate and you can leave them in while you shred the venison or take them out. This will taste similar to Italian beef

01-Dec-14
SMH

01-Dec-14
VMTHTR making yours for supper tonight!

01-Dec-14
This thread really makes me wish we still had a stable deer population that could withstand the loss of 3 or 4 does.

02-Dec-14
I enjoy reading threads like this. I however am afraid of change. I either wrap my steaks in bacon or grill/fry in seasoned oils. May seem blah to some but I cant find a better meal than venny and potatoes.

03-Dec-14
Howatt - I think the Coke breaks down the muscle a bit and tenderizes the meat overnight. Don't know if you have seen the videos on what Coke can do as a cleaner. I don't drink the stuff, I just know it works on the venison. Try it on a small scale once on a few pieces. The ones I've done haven't taken away the taste. It still tastes like venison. Some people say their methods make the venison taste like beef. What is the purpose for that. If you want beef flavor - buy beef.

The main thing with venison is not to over-cook, or over-grill. If you do, it doesn't matter what you did with it up front. It will be tough.

18-Dec-14
Thanks RC - that Canadian bacon recipe sounds great.

18-Dec-14
Im not ignoring you! This gives me lots of good ideas. Kinda wish you lived near me, to sample some of that.

RC how much do you think you have invested in that body suit you made? My mother is a great sewer and might put her to work. Was it worth your effort and time? Or would you just buy one next time?

18-Dec-14
You wont find that in Naples!

18-Dec-14

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo

18-Dec-14
They sure look good and I am sure they are. For me (I have venison almost everyday) A hamburger with a good bun is very good That and a bowl of veg.soup for my daily lunch (retired) Chops, I just fry with a little oil to medium rare. Steaks I make into stew or burger. Shanks and neck roast are smoked and slow cooked. those are 2 of the best parts of a deer/Elk. I really like the taste of venison as is,no cover-ups. But that is just me. At times I make a sauce out of Balsalmic vinegar,maple syrup,wine and berries. and pour over the chops/steaks

19-Dec-14
Love the recipes guys. Does anyone have experience cooking venison bone in ribs without a smoker? Do you leave the layers of fat and meat on the outside? Boil first then oven at low temp? I know there was a thread awhile back discussing keeping and cooking the ribs, so I thought I would give it a try. Methods appreciated!

20-Dec-14
Rumor has it RC has wasted away to a fraction of his former self waiting for a new and taste tantalizing venison recipe. Well until one shows up here I will throw my sausage recipe out there.

Being too cheap to pay for the processed venison sausage only to get someone else s gut shot deer I adapted a recipe that I can make a pretty fair venison sausage without a casing. This is done at home in the oven and after it is done I leave it in the oven or put on racks until it dries to my liking. That is usually about four days.

HOME MADE SAUSAGE ROLLS

6 lbs venison 6 rounded tsp. maple cure 3 tsp. mustard seed 3 tbls. course ground black pepper 3 tsp. garlic powder 3 tsp. ground red pepper 1 tbls. hickory smoke salt 1 tbls. liquid smoke ½ cup water

Mix well, cover and refrigerate over night. Roll out summer sausage size rolls. Place on oven racks. 170 degrees for 8 hours. Put foil on rack below to catch drippings. Leave on racks to dry to taste.

20-Dec-14
HOME MADE SAUSAGE ROLLS

6 lbs venison 6 rounded tsp. maple cure 3 tsp. mustard seed 3 tbls. course ground black pepper 3 tsp. garlic powder 3 tsp. ground red pepper 1 tbls. hickory smoke salt 1 tbls. liquid smoke ½ cup water

Mix well, cover and refrigerate over night. Roll out summer sausage size rolls. Place on oven racks. 170 degrees for 8 hours. Put foil on rack below to catch drippings. Leave on racks to dry to taste.

27-Dec-14
That Bologna Sandwich is hilarious! BC

29-Dec-14
That Mu Shu chinese recipe has my attention.

29-Dec-14
WTF??? I just came back to get the recipe that RC put up for ven. canadian bacon and all of his posts are gone.

29-Dec-14
It's like RC went up in smoke or something?

30-Dec-14
I didn't see the Mu Shu on that list?

That's the one I need, bro.

30-Dec-14

SwampHills's embedded Photo
SwampHills's embedded Photo
Venison loin, fried pork sausage, sautéed onion garlic and mushrooms, precooked spinach and cheese of your choice (I used swiss)

Filet the loin into one piece about a 1\2 inch thick sheet. Mix the sausage, sautéed goods, spinach and cheese. Then place a layer of the mixture onto venison sheet. Roll it up and use toothpicks or twine to hold it together. Season with a little salt and pepper and bake at 350 ddegrees for 45 min - hour covered.

02-Jan-15

Naz 's Link
Deer & Deer Hunting venison recipes

02-Jan-15
"It's like RC went up in smoke or something? "

Nah, just banned yet again but he's returned under the name RC.

02-Jan-15
rickflare, RancidCrabtree, Rancid_Crabtree, Rancd_Crabtree, Retch_Sweeney, (100 derivatives of Retch_Sweeney using underscores and periods), 62A_Hunter, PFM_Huckleberry, Big Spanker, et al. You got my one time beat big time there Ronny! Keep it going but I know you will ;).

02-Jan-15
Never said I wasn't preacher Ronny. The whole gang that got the boot from last winter in that infamous thread were all allowed back just like you were. However, of that group, only YOU have been booted once again. You lie about those other names, but you know the truth ;). You lasted pretty long under rickflare but eventually you showed your stripes and BANNED again. The multiple handles at one time thing is what if really your M.O. Time for the alter-egos like Howatt to emerge :).

02-Jan-15

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
"2 names over 9 year"

13-Jan-15
made some venison jerky this weekend. I used the backwoods seasoning from fleet Jalepeno flavored. Its awesome , just the right amount of zing. I got a recipe for homemade seasoning with habanero for the hot part, I might try it just for fun, but i don't think you can beat the jalepeno.

14-Jan-15
VENISON RIBS -simple.

Last weekend I made ribs from a doe shot with the bow in December. First I trimmed off most of the excess fat and tissue, but I didn't worry about getting every last bit of it gone. I left the ribs full length and cut them about 3 ribs wide racks.

Next I boiled these racks for about 3 hrs until tender. The meat was literally falling of the bone. After taking out of the boiling kettle I removed what connective tissue attached to the meat and the bones on the in inside of the racks.

Then I simply coated with Sweet Baby Rays placed in a baking pan in the oven set at 300° for 15 minutes.

They came out great, but it would have been better to cut the ribs at right angles in about 4" lengths as well. They would have been easier to handle and looked more appetizing to someone more discriminating.

24-Jan-15
It's been a while since I have done a stir fry so i think I will have to give the velveting thing a go Sunday with some venison. I tend to live by the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method of doing things so I think I will go with the backing soda method.

25-Jan-15

GVS's embedded Photo
GVS's embedded Photo
Well how about that!! Once you get past the it's all about RC thing, he just might know a thing or two. The venison stir fry turned out the best yet. Normally I shy away from venison in a stir fry but no more. Karen went back for seconds. That never happened before. BTW, I used the RC method.

25-Jan-15
Wondering what model vacuum sealer you guys use? I bought a high end Foodsaver but took it back because the bags seemed to open up. I am thinking I did it incorrectly and allowed moisture to penetrate the sealing process. I buy half a steer every year and now see why the paper is in each vacuum sealed steak. Just wondering if you guys have had success with lower priced vacuum sealer?

26-Jan-15
Ok RC, I was diagnosed pre diabetic last year so no more Jasmine rice for me. Boy do I ever miss that stuff.

So I would like to know how you do your brown rice. That looks really cool.

Velveting venison who would of thunk it? Will have to wait till next year to try it. I live north of 64 and am venisonless for maybe the third time in the last 35 years.

27-Jan-15

dc-archer's embedded Photo
dc-archer's embedded Photo
Venison Pepper Steak

1.5 lbs venison, sliced thinly, pound to tenderize if desired 1 green bell pepper diced 1 yellow onion diced 1 can diced tomatoes; drained 2 cups water or beef stock 1/4 cup vegetable oil 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1 teaspoon chopped garlic 3 tablespoons corn starch 4 tablespoons soy sauce

Heat oil in a large skillet until very hot. Add the meat and fry until nicely browned. Add the onion, water (or stock), garlic salt, and ginger. Bring mixture to a boil, cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers, cover, and cook about 5 more minutes, or until the peppers are tender. Add the tomatoes.

Combine the corn starch, and soy sauce in a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Add this mixture to the meat and pepper mixture and bring to a boil. Continue to cool, uncovered, until the sauce thickens.

Serve over steamed rice.

• Sitka Gear