JayD 29-Nov-14
gobbler 29-Nov-14
gobbler 29-Nov-14
JayD 29-Nov-14
gobbler 29-Nov-14
JayD 29-Nov-14
gobbler 30-Nov-14
24-Nov-14
Another thread kind of morphed into a mention of QDMA. It got me to thinking… wonder:

How many of you practice quality deer management? I’m not talking about putting out some plots or feeders to draw deer to small property like we have to do. I’m asking, about parcels big enough to manage for a balanced ratio of does and bucks, and allowing bucks to mature.

A few questions:

How many acres?

How many people are involved?

How long have you done it?

What are the harvest restrictions on the hunters?

What kind of progress are you having? Read that as how much bigger are the bucks now compared to the beginning?

24-Nov-14
Jim, I have been managing my farm with QDMA practices for probably close to 15 years. However, and I hate it has come to this, I really am, I'm not going to answer because whatever I say will be twisted into something else and challenged by some people, not in a true debate, but in an attempt to try and prove me wrong about something. However if anyone is truly interested with my experience feel free to PM me and I will be happy to discuss it.

25-Nov-14
I practice it on my properties in Pendleton county. I have noticed bigger spikes..

25-Nov-14
Been practicing at varying levels for several years. I guess I became serious seven years ago and even more serious two years ago. Have always played around in food plotting.....four plots totalling ~ 2 acres. I didnt take the liming seriously and only had marginal success. Two years ago i had ~6 acres cleared in center of property for a destination plot. I have been liming heavily based on soil results. Also added water in center of property. There are ~5 hunters normally but several others that hunt every now and then. I dont have a documented set of rules but the understanding is one buck per year. Everybody holds out for a nice buck with many not getting one which is their choice not mine. Lots of encouragement to shoot does. Property is 290 acres. Yes these efforts have made a difference no doubt. But as Im writing this the guns are a blazing all around on neighboring properties. I hope that at least half of these shots are does....but i know they are not.

Gobbler, tell all to all. Come on.

25-Nov-14
Gobbler -I agree with WVM&M tell us - I find this stuff interesting. Myself - I could careless what someone on here thinks about me. If they think I am idiot so what? I don't think it will make a big difference in the scheme of life what someone on here thinks. Now - on the other hand I know where you are coming from because it is hard not to take it personal but just remember the person on the other computer or phone or whatever means they use to post on here is no better than anyone else on here.

JR - it has not gone un-notice that your past couple of spikes have been true hogs! LOL we all have to admit there is some good entertainment on this site at times!

25-Nov-14
There are several other aspects to qdm that i didnt reference....i am no expert. Also after reading your original post i probably shouldnt have replied because someone would need 1000 plus acres to totally manage deer ratio and buck maturity.

Ill also add that hunting is in a very fragile state because of declining participation nationwide.....thats a whole different thread topic. This forum has provided me a lot of benefit throughout the years because i feel connected to fellow WV hunters. Recently the discussions have become very edgy to say the least....me to blame as well as many others. Lets not forget that we have to stay united even though we disagree...(note to self). Debate is a great thing and having differing opinions is healthy.

25-Nov-14
WVM&M,

I've always suspected it would take much larger parcels for a "total management" program. Your 1,000 acres figure is probably spot on. But.... that won't be applicable to virtually any of us. So... smaller parcels like yours and perhaps even less, will make for some good information for us.

Is your property farmland? Cattle, etc.? What percentage woods, fields?

Sounds to me like a really small amount of plots for 290 acres.

You said you noticed a difference--in what? Number of bucks? Age/size of bucks?

25-Nov-14
You are exactly right....not enough plots for acreage. Except for the plots and power line right of way, the property is mostly wooded. I plan on clearing more but will have to wait a year or two....not a cheap date

I found a plan between the USDA and previous landowners dated in the 1950s to convert all the fields/meadows into woodlands. Guess they werent into QDM back then. LOL

I have noticed improvement to maturity and number of bucks. I have kept trail camera pics since 2008 and there is a big difference between then and now. I now have multiple 3 plus year old bucks hanging out on property.

25-Nov-14
We've got neighbor that owns 400 acres. He doesn't put out plots or anything like that, and he allows all the neighbors to hunt the farm. The only restriction is that all bucks have to be at least and 8 pt. and the antlers have to be wider than his ears before you can shoot it. He's done that for 20 years now.

Many 3 year old deer are taken off that farm now, but only a few 140 to 150 class deer in the last 20 years.

When you think about, that's pretty restrictive for this part of the country, and yet only a handful of deer get to 4 or 5 years old.

25-Nov-14
Jim....same problem for me. What do you think would change the fact that bucks do not live to be 4 plus years on 400 acres? Im interested in your thoughts. I know many on here don't care about trophy bucks and I respect that. Not a loaded question either.

25-Nov-14
WVM&M - give them a sizable sanctuary - a place that just does not get disturb no matter what. If you can some how make a nice thick bedding area that will help. Yes if you feed them they will come but make them a place to feel safe and bed down they will spend more time there - and again don't disturb it all year long.

25-Nov-14
" I know many on here don't care about trophy bucks and I respect that."

This thread is about growing bigger bucks and thoughts about how to do it. Those that don't care, don't need to play. :^)

To answer your question.... I don't have a clue. The obvious answer would seem to be, they just don't live. But they surely aren't killing all of them.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if he'd change his restrictions and tell the neighbors, no more 100" to 115" deer. From now on, we're only shooting deer over 120".

On second thought... those boys probably wouldn't know what he was talking about.

25-Nov-14
Very good point Jimmy. Still not many big bucks. Becuz too many are killed

25-Nov-14
Ok, Jim and I had a talk, he says that he wants to have a discussion about QDMA, and I take him at his word. I think I have become so cynical over the last few months that I'm second guessing everything. For my part in that I apologize. I like debate, I've changed my mind on subjects due to a good debate. I have not been trying to ram anything down anyone's throat, if it seemed like that, I'm sorry. But I would also ask that people keep an open mind. Just because someone has done something one way for years dosen't mean there are not other ways, or perhaps better ways to do things . I remember my Grandfather telling me that while gobbler hunting to yelp 3 times and wait 20 minutes before I make another sound. While that works in some situations, other situations cackling like 2-3 hens for 10 minutes might work better. So, usually there is more than 1 way to skin a cat, and just because you learned one thing dosen't mean there are not other ways to do it.

So, my wife and I own 560 acres. About 85% woods and 15% pasture. I have 12 food plots from .5 acres to 3 acres.

Just my wife and I buck hunt, then get several friends to doe hunt for meat. We had been taking 2-3 bucks a year. They had to be 15 inch 8s or better. We always killed 3-4 does per buck.

Last year and this year we decided not to take any bucks. Last year we took 10 doe and will probably do same this year.

25-Nov-14
Thank ya gobbler for joining the thread! I think there will be some of us who learn a thing or two! So big question for ya - is your wife the better hunter???? LOL you have some nice deer there - have ya been able to get any cameras out this year by chance? No bucks killed for two years I would think it should be interesting for you next year!!!

25-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Anybody that been at the house or cabin knows I've got several dozen deer like this.

25-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

25-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

25-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
This is a few of the better ones.

I have a series of ridges and valleys, most plots are on the ridges. During deer season probably 90% is treated as sanctuary, only go in to retrieve a deer if needed. I do go into during gobbler season and late summer to bushhog trails. My habitat ranges from open woods to thickets a rabbit has trouble getting thru. I do supplement feed from Sept. Thru March.

The last few years we were only trying to kill 3.5 year old deer. Now I'm trying to get a few older bucks, that's why we've taken a 2 year break from killing any bucks.

Now, I know some are going to wander off and get shot. But if I provide food, water, cover, and does that's all I can do.

This summer on camera I had 4 good 8s, a 9, 2 -10s, and an 11. Nothing huge but all between115- low 120s.

If they stay they should be nice next year.

25-Nov-14
When we first got the place a nice buck was a 10 inch 6 point. This is in a rifle county with a 3 buck limit. It's taken a lot of work with developing food plots, timbering, developing water sources, planning, but it's been fun and in my opinion worth it. Now, I'm trying to take it to a higher level, and I'll just have to wait and see if it works.

25-Nov-14
I think I may be the better hunter by a smidge, but she is the better shot. LOL

25-Nov-14
".....and I take him at his word."

That's one thing you'll NEVER, EVER, have be concerned about with me.

Glad you decided to participate.

A bit curious, and I expect WVM&M will be too. With all that land, all that time, expense and effort, why in the world are you needing to take the deer to the next level? Why aren't they already there?

Seems to me, you should have 160+ bucks running all over the place.

25-Nov-14
3 buck limit pretty much sums it up in my opinion. A couple of neighbors that feel they have to shoot every buck they see dosen't help. I know that I'll never get 150+ bucks but I'm trying for the 130-135 range, which is a decent buck for most of WV I think.

25-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

25-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

25-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
A couple of bucks seen from the cabin this afternoon.

25-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

25-Nov-14
I also think you need 1000-2000 acres to have complete control, and then you are only going to control the bucks whose home range is in the very middle. The average home range for a buck is 640 acres. Some are bigger, some are smaller, and during the rut they may range further.

That is why I feel( and this isn't said to stoke any flames seriously) that people that kill multiple small bucks affects the ability of other hunters that want a chance at just 1 mature buck.

25-Nov-14
So... you're thinking even with 500+ acres too many get shot outside your property?

Edit: Looks like you answered my question in your previous post. We must have been on at the same time.

25-Nov-14
What type of minerals do you use? Ever tried mixing some di-calcium-phosphate with you mineral sites?

Wow - I would have thought you would have had a little better success with older bucks - with keeping 90% of it as a sanctuary. It sounds like you work at pretty darn hard. Certainly sounds like you are doing everything right....

25-Nov-14
Everyone, thanks for keeping this thread civil and on topic. There is a lot of good information being passed around. I look forward to more.

25-Nov-14
Yes, even with 500 acres too many get shot off my property. Around me there's about 200 acres that get almost no pressure. Another 500 that gets mild to moderate pressure, another 400 with mild, and 250 with heavy pressure.

The other thing is if I shoot one as a 120 then he isn't going to get any bigger either. If you notice in the second picture I posted of the 2 deer, the one on the right has a shed hanging below it. That is a shed from him from the previous year. He made a huge jump from a 2.5 to a 3.5, and would have probably done the same between 3.5 to 4.5 if I hadn't shot him. That's why we're holding off for a couple years in order to see what happens.

25-Nov-14
I've used purina deer mineral for years, just enough salt to make it attractive, the right balance of calcium to phosphorus and all the needed trace minerals.

Over the years I've seen 3 or 4 140-150 bucks but never got a shot and never saw them again.

25-Nov-14
To the best of my knowledge my farm was the first farm in WV to become certified by QDMA. At least that is what they told me.They have a land(farm) program where one of their biologists will visit your farm and evaluate it and let you know what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong and develop a plan for your land. This program was just started last year. I learned quite a bit from the visit. For example, I had a small infestation of "tree of heaven" , which is an invasive tree from Asia that secretes a substance from its roots that kill native trees. If you just cut them them 10 more will sprout up fr the roots . Only way to kill them is to mix a specific herbicide with diesel , then take a hatchet and make 2-3 chops into the trunk around the trunk about 2 ft up from the ground, then spray around the whole trunk from ground up to about 3 ft. If not taken care of they can take over in several years.

Another thing in my plan is to try and convert some of my pasture from cool season grasses into warm season grasses. It's much better for wildlife like Turkey and quail( if you have any), and makes one of the best fawn habitat there is. The price is based on acerage, but is reasonable. I think mine run 2 or 3 hundred. Learning about those trees was worth that much even if it saves one good oak tree.

26-Nov-14
Dr. Gobbler, why bother with shooting the does? It seems to me the more doe you can keep on your property the more bucks you will hold during the first week of gun season. I understand food availability for the herd, but if you plant food plots and improve habitat would carrying capacity not improve. If bucks on your farm have to look and search harder for available does during rut the more likely they would leave your farm and get shot. My best guess is if they can make it to Thanksgiving then they can survive till next year.

26-Nov-14
That is an excellent question. And one I have trouble with every year . I don't know the exact right #. I usually only take or have taken 2 or 3 before buck season. Then we kill the rest late in rifle, MZ,or doe season.

Because of my one neighbors need to kill every buck they see I want to keep as many doe as I can till rifle season is over.

If the group of the 4 or 5 of them from that farm didn't shoot every buck they see, I would have more taken during the Oct doe season.

26-Nov-14
If you didn't shoot the doe one year then the next year there would be more doe to hold the bucks for that season. I understand not shooting any doe until after the rut and agree with that 100%. One year our neighbor's who are great people killed 14 bucks off their property legally. I think I passed at least 10 of the bucks they killed. In my opinion reduced buck limit is the only solution for growing decent bucks. Most hunters in WV don't take more than one buck per season, I think 1.2 or 1.3 per year. It has to be the change of mind set that if I shoot this spike I'm done instead of, I can shoot this spike and keep on hunting. I afraid the money generated by the second gun tag will always hurt when trying to manage for better bucks in WV. What's everyone else think?

26-Nov-14
I've been an advocate of "1buckurout" for a long time. Heck, I'd even include button bucks in the deal.

Seems every answer leads to a dozen more questions.

Looks like gobbler is doing every right on 500+ acres, yet his results are ... well.... what may be considered, modest(?).

Maybe WV just isn't conducive to (real) trophy potential... then again, there's southern WV, and those occasional huge bucks that get killed in every county.

GEE WHIZ! My head's beginning to spin.

26-Nov-14
Soil type really determines the potential of a deer. WV just dosen't have the soil like Ohio, Illinois, Iowa except maybe around the Ohio River. Plus most of our deer are the virginia subspecies, which are a little smaller deer than the Midwestern deer.

I don't think we would ever have the 170+ deer as common as they do in the Midwest. But a deer dosen't reach its potential til 5.5-6.5. In most rifle counties with liberal buck limits it's hard to get deer past 3.5. Yes, an occasional one will pop up but on average that's about tops. If we could get a higher percentage of 4.5 -5.5 deer we would probably be talking 130-150, which would please 99% of the hunters.

The deer in the bow counties have a lot of Midwestern genes in them as most were restocked from Michigan, plus most of those big ones they kill that are 160+ are in that 5.5-6.5 range.

26-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
This will save a few bucks today.

26-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Another smaller 9 or 10. Not a great picture. Fog lifted just enough to get a quick shot before he went back in the brush. From his body he looks 2.5 to me.

26-Nov-14
Gobbler thanks for sharing....wow what a setup.

JayD....thanks for the sanctuary advice. I have over half of my property in sanctuary....not to say i never enter some of it but i stay out of it post august. It probably helps but the boundary gets gun hunted hard. This time of year bucks dont stay put.....as you already know.....many meet their waterloo. My property just isnt big enough to consistently have 4.5 year old deer. There are a couple hundred acres bordering me that is hunted by a large group from holmes county ohio.

Jim, I too am in strong favor of a one and done. However I would also support a one buck archery limit and a one buck gun limit rather than a two buck limit any weapon. I do not agree with the current three buck limit.

26-Nov-14
Jwc great post....gobbler holy cow!

26-Nov-14
Gosh, I haven't been on bowsite in years!!

And I come in and find one of the best, most civil threads about wv hunting and qdma I Have ever seen

I grew up hunting the mountain state, both parents from there, and hunted, owned land and managed it up until about 5 years ago.

And then I just said I'm done.. Went and bought a farm in Ohio.

All of things you mentioned I was up against. But the biggest thing for me was the multiple buck limit. Its the mindset that it brings on.

26-Nov-14
Jcw3. Bingo. The money from the tags destroys the bucks. I passed up a 6 point Monday and he went on the neighbors and he shot him. Just the way it is here.

26-Nov-14
jwc3, I think that is right. It's not the fact that only a small amount shoot 2 bucks, and an even smaller shoot 3, it's the fact that they CAN that leads to no self control on the first.

Thanks everyone for the compliments .

26-Nov-14
In my dream world I would change a few regulations when it comes to deer hunting.

1) Bow season comes in Sept 1st and goes out Dec 31st. 2) 2 Buck limit one with bow and one with firearm. 3) Doe harvest set by game biologist that is county or region specific. 4) Gun season starts Monday before Thanksgiving and last 2 weeks, then black powder/ muzzleloader for one week. That is the end of gun hunting for deer. 5) You can kill your doe all the first day of archery or the last day of muzzleloader. I don't care if your county wants 5 doe per hunter or 2 its up to you how and when to get them.

This would make much simpler regulations I think. I would think within a year or two we would be surprised by the amount of bigger bucks and a healthier more balanced deer herd would could have. What do you think fellows?

27-Nov-14
I think this is a great discussion. It hits right on the key topics of what QDMA is. It is not growing monster bucks. It is looking at genetics, habitat, carrying capacity, buck/Doe ratio, soil type, age structure etc.. I think if you look at some of pictures of bucks taken this year, it proves that the potential is there and I think the mindset of some Hunters is changing and they are becoming more selective. As mentioned already, I do not see them changing the harvest laws due to money, but hopefully as more hunters have good discussions likes this and attitudes change, maybe, just maybe the WV deer herd can improve. I don't think anyone should be criticised for shooting a spike, or smaller buck. If it is legal and makes them happy, so be it. All we can/should do is offer congrats and consider sharing info about the potential benefits of QDMA to the future of hunting.

27-Nov-14
Well..... like all these threads, this on is going in different directions along the way.

jwc3: Excellent. I'd vote for that--if I could. :^) It allows the state to sell extra tags and makes region/county antlerless limits much simpler. Heck, you could have a one buck limit, but then, sell a second buck tag. EVERYONE would buy that second buck tag. Can you imagine how much revenue that would generate? Antlerless season becomes concurrent rather than a separate season. Yes sir... I like it.

CGBowhunter: I agree completely with your entire post. It's human nature to stretch the limits of what's legal. If a hunter can take a certain bag limit, many of them try their best to take the maximum. Freedom of choice is uniquely... well... AMERICAN. As long as they stay within the rules, I'm fine with it.

We (humans) aren't very good at self-control. :^) That's why I believe the control mechanisms "have" to be mandated to us by the rules (legislation, regulations, etc.)

27-Nov-14
Jcw3, I like your regs.

27-Nov-14
I would like to know how much money is generated by the second buck tag. If we could find a way to get the revenue from other tags, a little here and there, it would be possible to get it down to one gun buck tag. If one gun tag is achieved then we can start to manage the deer on our own land no matter the size and shape. Dr. J.R. did you go anywhere this fall ?

27-Nov-14
1. I know some won't like this, but let landowners kill animals on base license for free, but make them buy tags for all extra deer like everyone else.

2. If we get an elk herd established, then set up a bonus point system like western states do. That would provide a huge revenue stream. You could take it a step further and make it like AZ and NV does, and that is to make everyone buy a base hunting license to participate in bonus point system, residents and nonresidents alike.

3. Make landowners buy a "landowner" license for a small amount like they did for the senior license, something like 25 dollars for 10 years . That way the DNR can get Federal matching funds from the PR fund. That is the federal tax on all sporting equipment sold. It's money we have already paid in taxes on our sporting equipment.

The Feds give it to states based on the # of licenses sold. If a landowner would pay 25 dollars for a 10 year license, then the DNR could collect 10 years of funds( that we have already paid as a tax). Right now , the DNR dosen't collect a penny on landowner tags because they weren't sold. I, personally don't think 2.50 a year would be a huge burden, and it would allow the DNR to collect hundreds of thousands of Fed money. Again, tax money we have already paid.

These are just a couple of ideas to increase revenue stream to help offset buck tag sales.

27-Nov-14
We have been through this before....I agree with you Gobbler

27-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Home, away from home

27-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Good bear still roaming around.

27-Nov-14
Developing a timber management plan for your property based on YOUR needs and desires is important. By timbering the maple, popular, and ash I was able to open the understory to provide cover and browse while saving the good mast producing trees like oak, hickory, and cherry. That helped released them so they could produce better crowns for tree growth and increased mast production.

As a bonus, the income allowed me to pay off the farm and build the cabin .

QDMA is a change in mindset and a long term plan. It's not a one year project. But it can be fun and rewarding .

Land is a great investment, plus by keeping quality trees like oaks, hickory , and cherry is like having money in the bank gaining interest for every year they get bigger.

27-Nov-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Couple more has made it thru Thanksgiving

27-Nov-14
As Gobbler said, it requires land base and proper timber management. All the others are just supplements that do affect but, don't determine the quality of deer. QDMA is a coined term that . describes a practice to grow the best deer quality you can. That's it.

Deer female herds need 60 to 70% kill rate to hold the population in check, in good habitat. No where is that accomplished. No where. It is simply a full time job to kill the does at a rate necessary if you implement good habitat management. And then you aren't going to accomplish it. Deer that have the nutrients they need, to be the best they can be, are all but nonexistent in their world during daylight. Minus the rut. So, QDMA is a term that describes a practice not a condition.

You need lots of land. Lots of good habitat. The kind where deer sightings are very infrequent and nearly nonexistent. Deer are individuals. All you can do is the best you can for what you got and, shoot does like it is your job. Put out trail cams on something besides corn piles, once you do this, and your education to what truly exists will begin once the rut starts. God Bless

27-Nov-14
I went to Ohio a few weeks back and took my GF to Africa in Sept.,

29-Nov-14
Gobbler - what are you planting in your food plots? I am sure you have done it - what does your soil sampling and test show? Oh and I may have failed to see it but I am assuming you have good water source also?

I know 560 acres is not a complete home range for deer - but good gracious making 90% of it a sanctuary - the big boys should be sticking to your place like a fly to a glue trap!

It sounds like you are doing everything perfect -- and the best part is you are having fun doing it! I am not as fortunate to have the acreage you do but I am going to completely redo all of my foodplots next year - I am really liking what I am hearing and seeing about the Eagle Forage soybean mix and then overseeding some brassicas and wheats or oats in August. Really leaning towards more protein for them here.

Right in between the plots - I have an area that gets a little swampy during wet weather - just damp during the summer time though - - been really trying to figure out what to do with it. I was sort of wondering if I mounded areas up a bit and made a little orchard out it - what it would do. The area does not get completely water covered just pockets unless we have a pretty big flood - the creek is about 100 yards away. I started planting sawtooth oaks here and some chestnuts several years ago - which will make sure I have hard mast each year and I fertilize them - best part is they produce every year and do so at a young age. The deer and turkey seem to really go for them before the original oaks here on my land.

29-Nov-14
I am lucky to have multiple springs. A lot go dry towards the end of summer but several are year round. I've also built 6 small ponds to hold water year round.

Most of my plots are clover. I have 2-3acre plots that I plant buckwheat , soybeans , and peas in during the spring. That provides a lot of high protein forage plus the turkey slam the buckwheat when it goes to seed. Then in the fall I till them under and plant a 50/50 mix of buck forage oats and winter wheat. I occasionally will plant brassicas but they shouldn't be planted more than a couple years in a row in the same plot cause they really suck the nutrients out of the soil(which is good for deer) plus there's a nematode in the soil that will destroy the root if numbers get built up.

I have apple trees, chestnut, and sawtooth oak that are about 15-20 years old but the trouble I have is when they produce well the bears tear them up. They climb up high enough to break or chew off the limbs. Then it takes a year or two for the trees to recover enough to produce again then they repeat the process. Kinda frustrating!

I've planted some of the eagle forage soybeans the last year or two and have been pleased. I think next summer I may try a whole 3 acre plot with them.

29-Nov-14

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Is this a good 2.5 or a 3.5

29-Nov-14

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Still around

29-Nov-14

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Next year is looking good! I have pictures of 11 different rack buck still running. Still have a few cameras to check tomorrow.

29-Nov-14
I think 3.5

29-Nov-14
Shoulders are big and thick. Legs don't look too long for body. Belly is filling out.

I know we probably have a new state record , but overall this wasn't a great year for antler growth state wide. Last year we had a bad mast failure and a bad winter. That takes a lot out of a buck especially after rutting. It takes longer to rebuild his body in the spring which will cut into antler development.

29-Nov-14
Yes I was thinking 3.5 too. Looks like he loss some weight from rutting but not too bad - hope to see his rack fill out more and gain some mass. One of the reasons why I am thinking of planting soybeans next year. Right now only have hay fields near this area right now.

Gobbler did you plow the eagle soybeans under this year - was talking to a guy in Maryland who said they are really hammering the pods right now on his.

29-Nov-14
Yes, I didn't have many. They were mixed in with buckwheat. There wern't much left after the deer ate them.

I don't think the eagle forage beans produce many pods. It is a strain developed to produce more leaves and forage at expense of producing many pods. I may be wrong since I've just started using some?

29-Nov-14
Your exactly right - they don't put off many pods - more designed for forage but still put off some pods - he was saying the deer did not touch the pods until the cold weather hit there a couple of weeks ago.

When did you plant yours and how did it grow?

30-Nov-14
Middle of May, they grew ok, not as great as I had hoped. But they were mixed in with buckwheat. I think I'm going to try a pure stand this year to try and get a better idea on how they do.

• Sitka Gear