Bloodtrail 25-Nov-14
Bloodtrail 25-Nov-14
bigbuckbob 25-Nov-14
Gene 25-Nov-14
bigbuckbob 26-Nov-14
HunterBrad 26-Nov-14
Richm444 26-Nov-14
25-Nov-14
Hi all. Just wondering what you all are thinking about thanksgiving morning? With the storm winding down I feel like it might be a good time to be in the woods. I totally agree with the old saying "you can't shoot a deer from your couch" but as some of you might jave seen from my love hunte and other posts, this season has been very difficult for me. I've seen very little action in a spot that has produced for me for years.

Am I wasting my time going out Thursday morning? Should I just hold off and wait for sat? I pretty much hunt every possible day I can (every sat and any other days off I can manage) but I will admit that I am getting a little worn down with the limited activity I've seen. So I would welcome any opinions. Thanks

25-Nov-14
I was thinking if I go how fast will my wife kill me?fri morning for me I

25-Nov-14
No wife for me so I'm safe

25-Nov-14
Ryan do u have any oak groves where u r ? If so in my experience they tend to hit the groves when the snow starts to wind down almost always works for me that's where I'll be Thursday morning

25-Nov-14
id go..hit the pines if you can,theyll be in there for shelter

25-Nov-14
Ryan,

definitely head out there on Thursday. Would I go to the same spot? Maybe not. If you've seen very limited action YTD I would consider either moving your stand to a different section of the area you're hunting, or go to a backup spot in a different all together.

If you haven't done any recent scouting you may find that something has changed in the area from last year that is causing the deer to adjust their pattern. Fresh snow will show you exactly where they were and where they are head on Thursday, so I say go on stand for the first few hours, then get down and still hunt, looking for sign on the way. Mark the new hot spot and move your stand there on Sat.

Either way, good luck.

25-Nov-14
BBB,

I have lots of trail cam pictures from early in the season and a bunch more during November. October was like they were abducted by aliens, not 1 picture but I think your advice is good. I'm gonna sit till 9 and then do as you suggested. Thanks

HEARTSHOT,

Unfortunately No, the property was logged about 12 yrs ago, most of the oaks were cut down, the last good stand of oaks was on an adjacent property and I used to hunt the travel lanes to that oak grove but alas it too was cutdown about 4 yrs ago. Now I focus on hunting the bedding areas because I can't seem to figure out where they are getting their food from. There is a large wooded area behind the property but I don't have permission to go on that land. I'm assuming the deer are going to that parcel to feed.

I'm looking at the snow as a potential good thing for me, I will get to see where they are moving but I'm concerned the snow will be too deep (I hunt barkhamsted) as my area is going to get 10-16 inches of you believe the weatherman.

Either way it looks like I will be out there. Thanks all for the advice and happy thanksgiving.

25-Nov-14
Can u get as close to that property line that u think they r feeding in if so u may be able to cut them off either on the way there or the way back

25-Nov-14
I'm going to scout it on Thursday. There is a ravine with a stream at the bottom that is the property boundary and it is pretty steep on both sides. But it might be a good place to look for a major crossing.

25-Nov-14
I'd sleep in. Have a good breakfast, go to the gym. You're not gonna see much for sign with all that snow covering the ground. You'd be better off waiting 3-4 days and scout it...concentrations of tracks will show a pattern by then.

25-Nov-14
I'd sleep in. Have a good breakfast, go to the gym. You're not gonna see much for sign with all that snow covering the ground. You'd be better off waiting 3-4 days and scout it...concentrations of tracks will show a pattern by then.

25-Nov-14
Bloodtrail

you make a good point if he gets that much snow! They probably won't be moving much in 10"-12", but if that's the case then what notme suggested would be my next option.

Look for the thick pine or hemlock stand and try to glass the area before you enter. In deep snow they'll be yarded up where the snow if not as deep. Still hunt it really slow because they'll be able to see you a lot easier with the snow.

25-Nov-14
I will be out with one of my Brittanies after some pheasant on club property. Maybe 12 inches of snow will slow my damn dog down! I always hunt Thanksgiving morning. Years ago it was for deer and in the last several years it has been for birds with my dogs. I hope you all have a great day on Turkey Day!

26-Nov-14
Gene,

I always hunted my dog on Thanksgiving morning, it was a tradition to go out with my brother and my springer. You just brought back some good memories for me,...I miss it. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

26-Nov-14
My tradition (since I was 15 or so) has been getting up in the dark Thanksgiving morning and hunting till 2 pm. Walking into the house with those smells will be burned into my memory if I live to be 100 years old. Some years I come in with a deer on my truck, some years nothing but its something I'll do until the good lord decides otherwise. Have a great Thanksgiving gents, we have much to be thankful for!

26-Nov-14
7 years ago I ran out of the house to escape the wife who was stressed about cooking.

I bagged the biggest buck of my life.

My other hunting partner and I always meet for coffee after the am hunt

Never miss it

• Sitka Gear