yukon roz 03-Dec-14
STM 03-Dec-14
Toonces 03-Dec-14
Garbanzo 03-Dec-14
grizzlyadam 03-Dec-14
bigbuckbob 03-Dec-14
Rooster 03-Dec-14
25-Nov-14
I'm seeing some great deer taken on this site and I have to ask the group, do you think the number of deer you're seeing this year is up or down? Please let us know if you're on state or private and what corner of the state.

I hunt state land in the NW corner and for me it appears up. I've seen deer each time out and always more than one. It's been a helluva year for me.

25-Nov-14
Steady from the last two years...but way way down from 8-10 years ago. Hunt middle of state. State land Salmon River. Some private in Wallingford.

You can look at road kill reports. Road kills are 1/3 what they were...and declining each year...that should tell you that the herd is declining. Those numbers don't lie.

25-Nov-14
definitely on the decline

25-Nov-14
This year definitely on the decline FF county next year can be a banner year ,who knows ... year to year is always a little different but this year sucks

25-Nov-14
So my year has been really down for sightings. Luckily I was able to take 3 does during bow from 2 different locations. What's most disappointing is I passed many small bucks last year in a spot that doesn't get much pressure. This year I haven't seen one buck while on stand, small or large. Not many white oaks in this spot so I'm thinking the deer are feeding elsewhere! No does then no bucks right? Hoping things change up and I get some buck action soon. I usually don't need more then 3 per year so holding out and waiting for a big one now. I hunt new haven and middlesex county

25-Nov-14
Hasn't been a bad year for me passed on a lot of young bucks but haven't seen any were near the does I am used to seeing I think the yots are killing a lot of young ones so for me it's down zone 11 ff county

25-Nov-14
Overall I think a little down but seeing 50/50 buck /doe ratio I used to see 10-15 does in some of my properties I never take more than one or two this year 5-6 does 5-6 bucks . I'm after a couple big bruisers but I pass up all young bucks and I'm lucky enough to see a couple hang around and grow up but population been down over last two years. I'm actually ok with that because I seen bigger bucks past two years because they have to travel more to find the ladies. I hunt ffld county.

25-Nov-14
Decline, but the few bucks I've seen have been bigger than usual. Some are just awesome. Haven't been able to find a doe all season.

25-Nov-14
Decline state wide.

25-Nov-14
Decline, Fairfeild county state and private land.

25-Nov-14
Serious decline in Zone 12. Been steadily going down the last five years.

25-Nov-14
Easy answer to the decline, do the opposite, instead of shooting 3 or 4 does throw a spike or 4 pt in with it instead of all does. The doe you passed on will pop out another small buck or two. I want to shoot a monster as bad as anyone but remember what makes a monster buck, a doe. In the low pop areas I hunt id be much happier dropping a spike then a doe. Its like a free deer to me and no harm to the herd. The common theme ive been reading is that i passed a couple little bucks and wacked 3 meat does. We are our own demise guys. I feel if you have land with a ton of does then shoot them but Im not sure public land is the place to practice Quality deer management. Im not trying to offend anyone but am I at least part right?

25-Nov-14
Definitely on the decline, but I have seen more does with fawns this year, and some with 2 fawns, hopefully the coyote population will decline also.

25-Nov-14
Decline

26-Nov-14
Spike, you bring up a fantastic point. Stop killing multiple does. You want one for the freezer, great.

I am really shocked when I hear about guys on here shooting 3,4,5 does or more....and then say the herd is declining. It's up to us to manage and protect our future.

26-Nov-14
I hunt in Sherman and deer herd has been going down for the past 7 or 8 years,I hunt on land that backs up to 3700 acres of no hunting land,we used to walk it just to nose around,I have 79 acres to hunt that boarders it,looking for rubs and scrapes,We used to see a lot of good rubs, and scrapes the size of a hood,no more.We always practiced deer management.With that kind of land behind our land you could.Its definitely declining.To many tags given out and to many deer being taken and not reported.I have heard a few deer being hit and never recovered,This happens to every bow hunter,We don't like it,But its happenes, In 40 years of bow hunting its happened 3 times,I reported those deer as taken deer. if you are sure the deer is a fatal hit animal report it.

26-Nov-14
We're seeing the adage "the sword cuts both ways" played out; the deer herd is in decline state-wide.

I've posted on a number of occasions over the past few years about the dangers of the management argument for hunting (Sunday or any other day) in that we were painting ourselves into a corner.

Some of the access we've gotten has been via the management route but with that access comes the expectation of significant herd reduction. We all know the best route to that goal is to take as many does as possible. For awhile, especially in Zones 11 and 12 the impact was mitigated by sheer numbers and for a time, the absence of significant 4-legged predation.

Not so any longer; if we don't self-police expect "down years" to become the norm for the majority.

Shoot fewer does, shoot every damn coyote you can and we can still reverse the trend.

26-Nov-14
I do agree with you guys but your forgetting an important factor. Many gun hunters I know shoot anything that moves, while they are moving. We might be able to do some self policing, but is it a useless attempt as more deer are taken by gun than by arrow?

26-Nov-14
Greg, more deer are taken by bow than gun. Look at last year's results.

26-Nov-14
BT,

That was the first year it happened since regulated hunting. We'll have to see if it happens again this year.

26-Nov-14
Self policing is the key as many of you have said. I really don't see why someone with an avg sized family (4-5 people) would need 3,4,5 deer. Ok so its less meat to buy in the stores, but at what cost to hunters and generations of hunters that are coming up?

Sorry to offend, but that's my 2 cents

26-Nov-14
I wish they adjusted tags and put an antler restriction in this state but that won't happen until population declines much more to the point where you will be lucky to have a couple shots a season at a deer. This state could care less about hunters or deer, to most they are pests and they want numbers way down thus they have these very liberal tags and many guys take full advantage of it, which is fine but guess we can't complain about decreasing numbers if we as hunters don't manage ourselves . I have been taking 1-2 deer per year over last 3 seasons and only mature animals and I have very healthy herds in my properties. Everyone is entitled to do what they want under these regulations but these current tag limits are meant to bring numbers way way down and it's happening and we will see numbers decrease much faster going forward between increased hunting and predators.

26-Nov-14
Greg,

I understand your concern and it is a valid point. That being said, the one variable we can always control is ourselves; I look it at this way-every doe I let walk can potentially produce a couple of new deer. There's always the risk someone, as you say, who shoots anything that moves might take them but I know if I do there's 0% chance of them being bred and growing the herd.

Brad,

No offense should be taken when a point is made respectfully. It's a valid concern; we have to see beyond today and look at how to best maintain the resource. This has to be a "team effort" and the more people who hop on board now the better the prospects in the coming years.

26-Nov-14
Agreed and thanks Mike, having just moved to CT, I don't have a frame of reference regarding the deer count. I've hunted upstate NY (grew up in Putnam County), spent a few years in the Marine Corps and got to hunt deer with some good ol boys in Georgia and the mtns of North Carolina.

Ultimately, no matter what hunting laws are passed, we need to control ourselves.

26-Nov-14
I'm all about self-policing and not shooting does for 2 or 3 years if everyone else is onboard, even the majority of hunters. That would make a huge difference.

Start the campaign, push it on this site. If hunters aren't on this site they'll hear about it from guys that are. If those guys at the DEEP don't wanna change the harvest then we can do it ourselves.

I'm skeptical that it'll work, I don't think guys will do it. But if its gonna be "a thing", then I'm onboard. Count me in.

26-Nov-14
Maybe my year is better than most on this site because I haven't shot any deer in my area until this year??

26-Nov-14
I hunt in Stamford and the deer population seems as strong as usual. I think there is very little hunting pressure in Stamford, deer are far more likely to get hit by a car here than an arrow or a bullet.

26-Nov-14
I'd give my right arm to have a spot in Stamford! I drive through there on my way to work morning and afternoon and ALWAYS see some off the parkway and on the side roads. Saw a nice 8pt roadkill just two days ago off of 104.

26-Nov-14
I'm seeing more deer the past 2 years, but that is due to having plenty of acorns. Back in 2011 and 2012, I couldn't find an acorn, and I saw few deer.

26-Nov-14
Status quo if not increasing in doe population in northern Connecticut River Valley. I shoot does for the venison, my main purpose in hunting... along to do my part in contributing with the herd management.

02-Dec-14
Stable to possibly increasing where I hunt. I have seen a fair number of deer this year and more than last year overall I think.

02-Dec-14
Some strangeness I noticed this year -

I haven't seen a coyote all season. I can't remember the last time that has happened. I normally see a bunch and kill at least one.

Also hardly any squirrels around this year. I am usually covered up in them. I am annoyed by that, I planned on hunting them more seriously this year in between deer and pheasants.

02-Dec-14
I think the deer herd is decreasing right now. Once spring season gets here, it will start to increase.

Same as Global warming. The temperatures will increase over 100% in the next 7-8 months.

02-Dec-14
Crow

I like your basic approach to the question and no one could argue with your logic:)

I also have not seen one coyote or bobcat this year, but have seen more deer than in previous years. But I did kill one deer, so now there are less, like Crow stated.

02-Dec-14
white buffalo killed them all Whitetail solutions too...

the herd is on good shape

02-Dec-14
I haven't even gotten out since before Sandy blew through and screwed everything up, but just before she hit, I was out on a property in Ridgefield that I've hunted most years going back to Y2K. Definitely way down, and it appears that the baiting is working extremely well for those guys who have gone at it hard; state obviously still thinks the herd is too big, but man, you'd never convince me of that on public land....

My biggest trouble is that I have a hard time getting out before shotgun A shuts everything down, so if I don't get onto some private land, I'm pretty well screwed...

02-Dec-14
Toonces, in MA I have not even seen a yote track in two spots that have always had them. Maybe the pop crashed a bit.

03-Dec-14
It seems to be increasing, but I would have to say it is stable in the north east corner. Seeing a lot of deer but only in a few spots where there has been an extra good crop of acorns. As far as coyotes,same here. Have not seen one yet. Seen a few fisher and a bobcat.

03-Dec-14
The deer herd is definitively way down in my hunting area. 10 yrs ago I would see 10 deer per outing, now I'm happy to see 2-3. 10 yrs ago I saw 0 coyotes, now i see an average of 2 per outing. Friday I saw a pack of 6-8 of them in broad daylight, spread out in a line, working their way upwind.

03-Dec-14
I would say stable to increasing in my area (central and north central CT). Have seen more bobcat. Question with that is how much of a toll do bobcat take on the fawn population? Kevin Conroy and I had a discussion about this and he believes that the bobcat take out more fawns than the yotes do. Would like to hear what others think about bobcat?

03-Dec-14
Guys

let us know the area you hunt so we can see if there's a pattern. Some are seeing more and some are seeing less.

03-Dec-14
Zone 4a I think its increased some seeing more deer then the past two.

03-Dec-14
Decreasing in south central.I have seen 4 bobcats since last march all different colors.Last saturday I did a small push to a friend he had 3 coyotes run by but he din't know if he should shot them ,he will now.One was bigger than my over wieght setter.

03-Dec-14
I hunt in Wilton and I am seeing a slight decrease in the deer, no fawns on camera this year yet. I am now seeing coyotes on the camera so this might be a reason. I hope to see them when I am hunting so I can save room on the SD card. STM.

03-Dec-14
Coyote thing is weird. I hunt NW mostly for what it's worth, a lot less coyotes around. I used to see and hear them all the time, nothing this year, its like they vanished. I haven't seen a bobcat this year either, although my buddy did see one.

03-Dec-14
I hunt in the North Haven / Wallingford area. Seems about steady where I am. I think the harsh winter 2 years ago led to a high mortality rate on young deer. There are enough around to eat the plants in my flower beds. They come right up to the door sometimes

03-Dec-14
NW corner, yotes are way down, last year they were thick, I don't get that. Lots of bears and bobcats, as usual. Does had more skippers this season than I have seen in some time, and they have all survived. They saved momma from my arrow half a dozen times this season. Deer herd seems stable overall.

03-Dec-14
NW corner,

I agree with all posts, yote and cats down, deer stable to up.

03-Dec-14
Hunt in Redding and other towns in zone 11 as well as towns in zone 6. The difference in the number and quality of sightings and sign are profound. 11 is for the most part declining. Redding is dead and the genetic quality is poor at best. 6 is a different story with sightings and sign galore with quality animals that have been consistent year to year. So to answer the question; "It really depends upon location and management parameters"

The following has been posted on the CT DEEP Website:

“2014 Deer Harvest Reports: This year, the Wildlife Division is unable to provide a running tally of the Archery and Shotgun/Rifle Deer Harvests like we have in the past. Final harvest results for last year can be found in the 2013 Connecticut Deer Program Summary. Look for the 2014 Connecticut Deer Program Summary in late summer 2015.”

If you call the DEEP this year to inquire about the missing harvest count tally you may be surprised by the answer you get- Late Summer 2015?

It seems self serving for the DEEP to withhold this data. The counting methods utilized by the CT DEEP are under scrutiny. This includes the relativity between trends in harvest counts and population estimates, as they just don’t add up.

For years hunters and municipalities have trusted the population estimates published by the CT DEEP. This blind trust has provided a steady stream of license sales revenues as hunters jockey for spots in Zones 11-12 from surrounding states as well as all over the country. Baiting, unlimited replacement doe tags, Earn-a-Buck programs and an archery season that runs from September through January further sweeten the deal. Articles have even been published in magazines and papers touting claims of explosive population growth. These factors have contributed to the frenzied and on going destruction of the white tailed deer. Hunters are seeing fewer deer and find the DEEP figures increasingly harder to believe.

Sportsmen in Redding CT realized that something had gone terribly wrong. Harvest counts, in Redding, plummeted by approximately 70% over the last four years. Hunters experienced accelerated signs last year with a 37% decline in Redding’s harvest counts from the previous season. This year the numbers are looking to be even lower based on hunter accounts. This severe decline could spell disaster for DEEP’s bottom line as hunter frustration grows. Even organized hunts on open space and watershed properties are coming up empty.

This season Redding is well on it’s way to becoming the bone yard that sportsmen have feared. For years hunters have focused on the harvest of does from targeted areas. This practice became the norm and for some individuals an obsession. Continued over hunting combined with a growing myriad of predatory and environmental threats, the herd ultimately will collapse. Of course the misinformed residents and municipal leaders are thrilled with the devastation of the herd. The hype continues to be fueled by Redding resident and President of Fairfield County Deer Management Alliance, along with ranks of misinformed fear merchants throughout Fairfield County. These individuals would like to see deer extinguished as a means to eliminate Lyme-Disease. What they have not yet come to realize is that deer are not the culprit when it comes to Lyme-Disease. This raises questions about the validity of scientists’ claims about a direct correlation between deer populations and Lyme-Disease incidence rates. The Fairfield County Deer Management Alliance, CT DEEP and the CT Agricultural Experiment Station need to explain Redding’s explosive increase in Lyme-Disease of nearly 65% over four years, and why this spike is despite extremely low deer populations. The question remains as to why these agencies are so adamant in their claims.

One scenario may be that the CT Agricultural Experiment Station has been conducting a study in Redding to prove a theoretical hypothesis. Some scientists believe in a direct correlation between deer populations and Lyme-Disease incidence rates. It has become evident that these scientists will stop at nothing to justify the $900,000.00 CDC Grant funds they are using to prove their claim. Improprieties’ include test area boundaries that have grown by nearly 40% in size over two years. This could also explain the matching mathematical manipulation of the data they utilize to bolster their claims about growing deer population density. The increases in the test areas have also afforded White Buffalo’s sharp shooters the ability to operate over a larger area as it became more difficult to find deer within the original One Square Mile Test areas. In their desperation to achieve kill quotas the shooters have even resorted to illegal operations. Despite eyewitness accounts and Conservation Officer’s reports there have been no arrests. This leaves the sportsmen with questions as to why White Buffalo shooters are being protected by the CT DEEP Wildlife Division. Additionally, this year the study has added field tests of a vaccine aimed at mice that may curb Lyme-Disease in this reservoir/host. If the vaccine works, it is a good bet that CT Agricultural Experiment Station and DEEP will falsely attribute a reduction in Lyme-Disease to lower deer populations as they are forced to acknowledge lower harvest counts and populations.

Data from aerial surveys conducted by the DEEP and the CT Agricultural Experiment Station, appear to have been manipulated for years. This includes data from a joint survey that included the hunter representative from Redding with the DEEP. The surveyed zones were heavily baited and boundaries were shifted and grew well beyond the original test areas by nearly 40%. The first of two DEEP/CT AG survey flights (northwest corner of Redding) showed raw data that corroborated the numbers hunters reported in ground counts of 10 deer over the same area. It is important to note this is a large wooded area, not a higher density residential zone. like many of the areas surveyed by hunters that showed on average 3-4 deer per square mile in a flight earlier the same day. This poses questions about the validity of DEEP and CT Agricultural Experiment Station flights. With the broad range of technology available today why wouldn’t these agency include video documentation of aerial survey? This would certainly provide more believable recording and reporting.

The “wait and see” approach employed by CT DEEP in Redding spotlights their negligence in properly managing wildlife resources. Dismissive arrogance displayed by biologist further widens the riff between sportsmen and the DEEP statewide. This behavior needs to stop!

• Sitka Gear