Babysaph 27-Nov-14
Bob Dunn 28-Nov-14
David Mitchell 28-Nov-14
wvbowbender 29-Nov-14
WVLineman 29-Nov-14
gobbler 29-Nov-14
JayD 29-Nov-14
27-Nov-14
I was wondering if any of you older people have this problem. I was in my stand last night (evening elitist don't get excited) and I heard a buck chasing a doe ,which,I thought was to my right in a thicket. I had my bow in hand looking and just waiting for it to come out and the next thing I know it is standing 20 yards behind me snorting because they saw me move. I could hear it walking just can't tell where the noise is coming from. It really sucks when I'm elk hunting (a lot of extra hiking in Colorado) I think they bugle one way and it is totally the opposite direction. Would hearing aides help this problem or is my 34 years of teaching woodworking that is screwing with me now. Any suggestions would be great. My neck is sore from constantly turning when I hear something.

27-Nov-14
The older I get, I've noticed folks don't talk near as loud as they used to.

Maybe it's time to see an otolaryngologists.

27-Nov-14
My doctor told me my ears had to many birthdays get the hearing aids they work

27-Nov-14
Tom its 31 years of shop teachin I know.i got same problem....buddy gave me his old hearing aides I hear better but cant tell direction sound came from...I have tried every gadget but none worked for direction

27-Nov-14
Huh?

27-Nov-14
I am getting the same way.,it's DOB

27-Nov-14
My hearing sux from listening to a dental handpiece for 35 years.

28-Nov-14
My hearing is gone to. 15 years in a weld shop, 20 years in chemical plant. Gonna look at hearing aides this year coming. Finally realized it has affected my huntin and all around quality of my life. I heard (hehehe)good ones are expensive.

28-Nov-14
Actually our ears are not all that good at determining the direction of sound in the first place. Some of the abuse we subject them to doesn't help, but that lack of ability to determine the origin of sound is why ventriloquism works. I took lessons many years ago and have had lots of fun with it in my ministry over the years. At first I couldn't believe it was working until I saw a video of myself and my little buddy Eddie performing. The misdirection of seeing the dummy's mouth (actually they are referred to in the trade as a "ventriloquism figure" because they hate it when you refer to them as dummies :o)--anyhow...seeing his mouth move and yours not moving easily gives the impression that the puppet is talking. To the ventriloquist it never feels like it is really working. It is possible due to the human ear not being good at determining the origin and direction of sound--like when you hear a siren coming but can't figure where it is coming from. Maybe you're not as bad off as you think, Tom. :o)

29-Nov-14
Tom, if you really want to be humbled go out with one of your boys and hunt side by side. My son Matt came in from Massachusettes this past week and we hunted together - side by side, drinking hot tea and watching for deer. Just like we use to do when he was a kid. He would hear deer walking on the far ridge and I couldn't hear the gray squirrels playing under my feet!

29-Nov-14
I had deer walk within 10-yards of me this year and I never knew they were in the world until they walked in sight. That's not as easy as it used to be either, as I hate wearing glasses but I can't see my pin if I don't. Good thing experience in the stand makes things easier as you get older, because father time keeps taking away anything that could be construed as an edge at the same time.

29-Nov-14
Tom, I think what everybody is saying is that we're all getting older and NOTHING works as well as it used to. LOL

29-Nov-14
The headmaster at one of the schools I maitain the fields at told me just last year when I was hobbling around some - I told him - I did not like this getting older thing - he in returned said - it beats the alternative doesn't it! Gotta admit he is right!

• Sitka Gear