DeerBuilder.com
Sawtooth Oaks
South Dakota
Contributors to this thread:
Genesis 27-Nov-14
Brotsky 30-Nov-14
saveyhunter 04-Dec-14
27-Nov-14
Going to help a landowner with some habitat improvements and was wondering if anyone here has had success with planting Sawtooth Oaks with the Latitiude of Mitchell SD??

30-Nov-14
Genesis, not sure what a sawtooth oak is but Burr Oak does very well here and is the predominant oak species in the state.

04-Dec-14
Go to Iowawhitetail.com and do a search there. They have a huge thread going with a lot of guys that are really knowledgeable about oaks. I would say most people are now planting hybrid oaks. There is one that a lot of people get from the University of Idaho called the burgamble oak. It is a cross between a burr and a gamble oak. If you have some wet bottom ground (they can be planted anywhere but can survive wetter conditions unlike others) there is also a swamp burr oak hybrid. Kelly Tree Farm in Iowa sells a chestnut oak that is supposed to be really hardy and grow quick. Dwarf chinquapin oaks (Different from a standard chinquapin oak) are supposed to grow really fast and produce acorns in 5 years (it took me 2 years to get my hands on some from NE), but in the SE part of the state where I live it about the line of where it is supposed to be able to survive so you might be able to make them work. From what I understand it is more like a shrub that suckers out vs. a tree. I have planted all of these, including the plain old burr oaks on our land. They have only been in the ground a couple of years, so I can't give you any specifics yet on how they have worked for me, but the hybrids do seem to be doing a lot better. Overall, they are supposed to produce acorns quicker than a standard oak. 20 years for most. Some hybrids claim half that. Hope this helps!

• Sitka Gear