NY Bowman 10-Dec-14
John Scifres 10-Dec-14
JTV 13-Dec-14
soldierbowman2 16-Dec-14
Longbow Honkey 17-Dec-14
bas 18-Dec-14
nitro1947 13-Jan-15
29-Nov-14
A friend of mine was telling me that they are proposing the use of high powered rifles next year. I was doubtful so I looked it up, it's in there. I believe it states anything larger than a .243. I guess I'm not familiar enough with how likely proposals are to becoming reality. Do any of you have any insight on this? Where I hunt, numbers are down, not to mention the people population density,I really am puzzled on why they would consider it. Your thoughts on this actually happening? Thanks

29-Nov-14
The short answerer is to bring in out of state hunters and their money. Hunting with rifle will not increase the kill. Other states have predicted it would when they changed from shotgun to rifle and it has not been a big change in any of those states. The safety issue has been a non issue as well. Many more populated states have rifle seasons and Indiana allows rifle for other game and it hasn't been a big issue. The state only sees dollars and if Indiana is a rifle state it will draw hunters from Illinois and Ohio that now go to Kentucky and Michigan. Maybe that will make up for income they have lost or will lose from ruining hunting for the residents of Indiana.

29-Nov-14
I was perplexed by their reasoning but I think you probably hit the nail on the head.

01-Dec-14
Somebody petitioned for it. There was no valid reason to deny the petition. Now it is in public comment. You can comment on it and a number of other proposals.

Here's the website: http://www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm

Go to the last record 6 of 6. It's called "(LSA #14-453) Amends various rules within 312 IAC 9 such as rules governing deer hunting, nuisance wild animals, cottontail rabbits, wild pigs, birds, reptiles, amphibians, sport fishing. For a complete list of proposed amendments see, the Proposed Rule and Notice of Intent"

You can also see the timeline. It is not a done deal. Public comment and other things will play into its passage/non-passage.

Personally, I am in favor of it.

05-Dec-14
It seems to me that with the great distances modern muzzleloaders can reach, plus the cartridges already allowed in rifles and pistols, the next and obvious step is larger cartridges. I am in favor of a split in firearms allowed. Like what KY has in place. Purhaps shotgun only in flatter counties and near municipalities, with rifle only in counties that have hills that could(?) be a safer choice. Right or wrong, I have heard it from those who know --it's probably going to happen sometime. I just hope those who use them are aware of the ranges various calibers have. I don't know how it will affect the problem of poaching and the cost to low population numbers some are experiencing. I am seeing lots of deer and so are others close by. Those who wish can send in their comments. I have also checked out the proposal for trapping otters. Like beavers they are really making a comeback, it's time for controlling some populations in various counties. Lots of topics to comment on, don't think on it. Speak up!

06-Dec-14
At what point does hunting become target practice? Just another step that will further deteriorate woodsmanship among the ranks IMO. It will likely pass because too many hunters today could care less about woodsmanship and understanding their quarry.

06-Dec-14
I agree that it will pass IF hunters are the only people that know to comment about it. After talking to several nonhunters, they are concerned about safety. I believe that the best way to defeat this is to help make the general public aware of these proposals and not let the government silently push it through. Write to your local paper, attend meetings, comment on the site, and make people more aware. Silence does nothing.

07-Dec-14
There is no evidence that allowing rifles will lead to more safety issues. This has been very well studied and it is pretty clear.

Some interesting comments on the safety:

http://rule-303.blogspot.com/2009/10/shotgun-only-rationale-for-deer-hunting.html

Wisconsin's rule change allowing rifles (see p. 4 for the safety discussion):

http://www.wisctowns.com/uploads/ckfiles/files/Statewide%20Rifle%20Memo%20v1%202.pdf

One quote:

quote: "In sum: The Dept. appreciates local governments’ concerns for public safety. The Department likewise puts a high priority on safety. However, no evidence exists that hunting with rifles is more dangerous than hunting with shotguns."

Pennsylvania study: http://lbfc.legis.state.pa.us/factsheets/2007/rifle_shotgun_webpost.pdf

One Quote:

"Conventional wisdom holds that shotguns are inherently less risky than rifles when hunting deer. This is evidenced by the fact that the PGC as well as other states have established shotgun only hunting areas. This study, however, has concluded that this is not always the case."

This safety thing seems to have been studied pretty well and a little googling should help you to form a reasoned opinion on it. So far, I haven't found any data supporting the safety side of prohibiting rifles.

07-Dec-14
There is no objective reason to prohibit rifles. The whole long distance hunting argument is too subjective and reeks of elitism.

Ever since the modern conservation effort began, high powered rifles have been considered a part of the fair chase ensemble of technology allowed. They are part of the modern hunting ethic.

Your choice not to use these accepted tools is simply that, your choice. To describe your choice as somehow more ethical, more fair, more skilled is arrogant and degrades the community of hunters.

07-Dec-14
John, you couldnt pay me enough to support this proposal.... this is coming from a proud BOW hunting elitist.... ;0)

08-Dec-14
I wonder if anyone has compiled the statistics for the amount of land closed to firearms deer hunting of all sorts in those areas where rifles have been approved in recent years?

I reject the proposal because common sense tells me that a vast increase in the number of deer hunters using weapons of much longer range WILL increase the incidence of poorly considered shots traveling to more homes, schoolyards and highways than they do now. There are a good many hunters with the responsibility and good sense to turn down that opportunity on a dandy buck when it comes into clear view skylined on the next ridge, and there are also a considerable number who will only see their last chance at those antlers disappearing and won't be deterred by the fact that they know nothing of the place where their bullet will come down, far off in that direction. If you have statistical studies showing that to be false, perhaps you could include a reference to them?

I suspect the common reaction to the inclusion of such an increase in danger zone due to the increased trajectory will be more land closures to all firearms hunting, by localities, and probably by individual landowners, and it will be pushed for by insurers.

Do we NEED less hunting land?

Do we WANT to see how long it will take for the first guy with a .270 to miss a deer on that ridge a mile south of town and put a round through the courthouse window?

I understand the sentiment of wanting to kill one with Granddad's ought-six, and I'm a VERY firm believer in the Second Amendment. Been a Life Member in the NRA for forty years, and have gun hunted for fifty-six.

But with every right comes some responsibility.

In this case, I feel the restrictions on longer-range weaponry for deer hunting were the right thing to do back when the seasons began, when there were about half as many people in the state. I can't understand how they would NOT be an even better idea to keep now that we have twice as many people. I don't have any statistics to prove that, but if you think otherwise, I'd sure like to see the logic behind your thoughts.

IMO, the original restrictions' intent, which was to limit the deer hunting ammo to the rounds then available with maximum travels of just barely over a half mile, were appropriate and were effective for a couple of generations.

We have gotten by with allowing the PCR's and the ML's with about the same trajectories to be used for a few years now, with little if any known unfortunate consequences so far. Does that really mean that we should now take "the next logical step in that direction"? Sometimes the next logical step in the direction we are taking turns out to be the step that we should have had the good sense NOT to take.

I suspect we will have a better outcome in the long run if we exercise some prudence in limiting our own actions to accommodate the facts rather than discovering the limitations the hard way.

08-Dec-14
This proposal is in no way aimed at increasing the pressure on the herd. That is not why the petition was made and it is not why the NRC passed the proposal.

Intuition aside, there is no evidence that allowing high powered rifles will lead to an increase in the number of deer taken. It has not happened in other states that have moved from shotgun only to HPRs and it is not likely to happen here.

Matt, you can petition for those things.

09-Dec-14
John: " The whole long distance hunting argument is too subjective and reeks of elitism."

Well, I've been called worse things than an elitist.

I don't need to see "evidence" that HPR's will result in more dead deer than we would have without them. Regardless what weapon we are talking about....more range equals more opportunity to shoot....period.

I also don't need to see "evidence" that a projectile with the ability to travel 4X, 6X or 8X longer distances than another projectile is inherently more dangerous.

09-Dec-14
Iowa implemented a rifle season a few years back, on a temporary basis, specifically to increase the harvest of does in their southern 2 tiers of counties. Rifle season was dropped this year, because the doe herd no longer needed suppressing.

If there's a biological need for this change in our state, I'm all ears. Like maybe that our deer population has increased dramatically? Otherwise, I agree with the guys above...thumbs down on this rule change.

10-Dec-14
The most honest and generally the most powerful way to argue a point is to use evidence. Intuition is not evidence.

The other way is to use misinformation and emotionalism. That is the heart of our current political system it appears. The masses are easily swayed.

10-Dec-14
Paul and Russ nailed it. Stick confirmed it.

We as hunters need to become more "elite" and not just killers.

"To kill is not success unless accompanied by the chase." Vance Bourjaily eloquently stated this interrelationship in his article “Hunting is Humane” in the February 15, 1964 issue of the Saturday Evening Post. “The two parts of the sequence must occur together, or there is no satisfaction. Killing, and this is generally misunderstood, is not pleasure at all if the challenge of hunting does not accompany it.” Most will agree that the feeling of accomplishment, pride, satisfaction, and culmination of a truly successful hunt, is not the size or score of the animal harvested, but in the effort and energy expended in the pursuit! Rifles WILL make it easier to kill something. I absolutely KNOW this from personal experience. Making it easier to kill deer erodes our image in the non-hunter. It is the general non-hunting population who will determine our hunting future. If the degradation of the hunter, in the minds of Joe Public continues, they will legislate out our ability to pursue game. Let's not throw gas on that fire.

John, I'm surprised at a traditional bowhunter like yourself supporting something that makes it easier to kill stuff. :)

10-Dec-14
Hi Terry,

If we all made it as hard as traditional bowhunters we would be overrun with deer. There is almost no effective change in allowing rifles with a 300+ yard range over a shotgun or muzzleloader with a 200+ range for the vast majority of hunters in the vast majority of places in IN. I have shot a bunch of deer in IN. None at more than 75 yards.

Hi Matt,

I have not seen the petition.

More freedom is always better than less if there are no negative effects on the resource or true safety issues.

Almost all hunters who are capable of killing deer regularly can kill as many as they need or want. Most will kill 1 or 2. A few will kill 3. Almost none will kill 4 or more. Adding HPRs won't change that. The other limiting factors are much more important.

I sure hope everyone is commenting on the proposal. What you type here is meaningless unless you go through the process.

13-Dec-14
There is no biological need in this state to implement centerfires....is there is a need to kill MORE deer... our ex biologist said no, there isnt....can the deer herd handle more killed on a yearly basis than say 130,000 to 140,000...no it cant.... the only reason for this is because some yahoo brought forth a petition....very damn sad ...

16-Dec-14
No Biological need? You are missing the point of the change. It is meant to bring in out of state dollars with their out of state hunters.

17-Dec-14
I really think once our State Senators and local State Reps up north here get a whiff of this chicanery from our non-hunter residents it will not fly. It might be ok down in the bottom third but I sure as HELL don't want some yahoos who just bought there new rifle at Walmart popping rounds off a hundred yards behind houses and roads. NO WAY JOSE!!!!! I'm a die hard bowhunter and could careless if some uses a slug or sabot but not a HPR.

18-Dec-14

bas's Link
This is a link to a great article citing concerns about HPR's. Might be a useful tool to take to or help formulate what you might say at the public hearings or in your online comment.

http://www.kpcnews.com/columnists/don_mulligan/outdoors/article_31af37af-9b0e-59cf-b578-4f77c3be6535.html

13-Jan-15
land leases want it go follow the money

• Sitka Gear