sswv 13-Dec-14
gobbler 13-Dec-14
Jacksonhntr 13-Dec-14
sundaynwv 13-Dec-14
Babysaph 13-Dec-14
gobbler 14-Dec-14
Babysaph 14-Dec-14
29-Nov-14
For those that were out this week with gun or bow what is your prediction for total buck season kill? Its almost halfway done but at this point most bucks that will be killed have already bit the bullet.

My prediction is it will be way down in Pleasants Co and surrounding counties. Rut activity was non-exsistent, acorns everywhere, near hurricane winds first day, and most importantly lack of shooting.

Other predictions?

29-Nov-14
From what I've been seeing and hearing I think the kill will be down also. I heard more shots yesterday than any other day this week, but I suspect a lot of people are after does by now??

29-Nov-14
I think totals will be down on both sides. At least in our area. We saw far fewer deer all season.

29-Nov-14
Way down in Pendleton county already.

29-Nov-14
I've been out every day of gun season and saw my first buck today (Saturday). This, after seeing lots of bucks during bow season. Have not seen a chasing buck yet!

29-Nov-14
I think the rut was pretty much over here before season started. Last Sunday I saw multiple doe/fawn family groups together. I've seen several bucks from cabin this week come and feed with does. No chasing, no running around smelling. Just interested in eating.

29-Nov-14
mid week I heard buck kill was down 58% and doe kill was up 30%

29-Nov-14
Several checking stations here in the panhandle say numbers are way down - will be interesting to see.

29-Nov-14
Way down. Time for some responsive buck management.

29-Nov-14
The DNR will say the kill is down because of the big mast crop.,

29-Nov-14
I say YEA! there will be older bucks next fall!

30-Nov-14
The people will say they want a lower buck limit. The Commission will say its their job to balance the biological, social, and ECONOMIC parts equally. They will say the state will loose too much money and it can't be done without looking at other avenues. 1950 buck management continues.

30-Nov-14
Think last winter was ruff on deer I haven't seen near the deer this year as I did last year and I'm goin to say numbers will be down and with the mast being so plentiful deer not moving as much rut hitting here and there it's been a different season for sure

30-Nov-14
Once again the mismanagement of the herd is the reason. The deer herd in WV can not support the tag limits and number of seasons this state keeps allotting. Years and years of pure slaughter is catching up. Congratulations WV you are finally depleting the resources of this state.

30-Nov-14
This has been my worst season in years in WV.,I think last winter had a toll on them

30-Nov-14
Should be a good year next year. Biologist for Bluestone WMA checked in three bucks and lots of does first day, the second day 25 does no bucks. Lots of food, horrible weather the first couple days plus the super cold snap for the first part of month helped the rut along a bit. Bucks just don't have to move during the daylight much at all now that the rut is over. Might be a good muzzleloader season if the fawns start coming in heat, they should weigh enough by then, I think its 60-65pounds. But im think it will be great next year

30-Nov-14
I think you may be right, with leftover bucks and a good mast crop to help them thru the winter it may be really good if we don't have a horrible winter or a drought next spring/summer.

01-Dec-14
Should be a great year next year but I want good years to be a result of management not previous year's failures.

01-Dec-14
Well this year the bad kill will be blamed on the big mast crop. If we have a bad mast crop next year, the low deer kill will be blamed on that.

01-Dec-14
from what i have seen in this county, the mangament is working for the does! people shot the piss out of em last week lol

01-Dec-14
I saw some young bucks and few does first 3.5 days. Starting around 1:30PM on Thursday afternoon I saw dozens of deer. On Friday morning, it went right back to few deer. Its fascinating to me how deer all decide to move and not move in unison.

I agree with sundaywv's comment that it is a shame it takes a down year during gun season to have a decent following year in terms of more mature buck sightings.

01-Dec-14
I meant we had a big mast crop this year

01-Dec-14
I agree we could have better management of our buck herd, but even in states like AZ where they actually know how to manage for quality animals Mother Nature helps determine the full potential of antlers. In years of good rain elk and deer can add 20-40 inches of antler, much like they can do here with good mast crops and good spring rains.

01-Dec-14
I will never hold the DNR accountable for the acorn crop or amounts of rain and that affect on antler growth. I will hold them accountable for advocating the kill of multiple immature bucks which deminishes the finished product of a healthy deer herd.

We are taking baby steps when full steps are needed.

01-Dec-14
Well, I can't disagree with that.

01-Dec-14
Not try to start an argument here but just saying it makes me laugh to hear that lack of bucks this year will mean more mature bucks next year..... just sounds funny

01-Dec-14
We don't argue on here. What gave you that idea?

I don't think all the bucks disappeared. I think it is a combination of abundant mast , early rut , and bad weather .

Plus think about this. What if the world ended and you were stuck in a Krogers by your self. (Assuming power was still on, and deliveries kept coming, LOL), you would have your choice of your favorite food in unlimited quantity 24/7. Now, assume the same senario except there are a 1000 people in the store. You're not going to be able to eat Prime Rib and Lobster every day, some days you get chicken, some days you get sardines . The fewer deer per square mile in prime habitat means each deer gets better high quality, high protein food. The more deer there are, the less nutrition each of them get.

01-Dec-14
less bucks getting killed either due to mast keeping the scattered in the woods or 70 degree temps and 45 mph wind gust on opening day means less bucks killed and more bucks will survive, more survivors means older age bucks, the bucks are out there. I'm with you, I've been laughing at the low harvest numbers and will be laughing until next years archery opener

01-Dec-14
I've followed this site for some time, but just got around to registering. In Jackson county where my brother and I own around 130 acres, and are part of a 1200 acre hunt club that connects to our property, it was a horrible year, compared to years past. I think all the reasons are outlined above, but in the 19 years we have had this property, it was the slowest. We bow hunted for 3 weeks, and the biggest part of the first week of buck season, with no buck harvest. Like others above, we passed on some smaller "basket rack" bucks, but usually one or both of us gets a "shooter." The rutting activity was minimal, and the weather was less than desirable most of the time we were out. However, I am grateful that I got to hunt another year, and can't ever get enough of it. With all of that said, my 12 year old son did harvest his first deer (doe) with his bow, while in a treestand by himself. So, that was more fulfilling than any buck I could have killed!

02-Dec-14
Good for him! I'm sure you were proud . Congratulations

02-Dec-14
I hunted my dads farm in Tyler County the week of Veterans Day and the first week of gun season. I passed a couple of decent 14-15 inch eight pointers during the bow season. I finally took a 16" 7 point(no brow tines) that was all busted up. Gun season the first day I seen eight different bucks, 3- 8 pointers, 3- spikes, 1- 6 point and 1- 3 point. The biggest was a 15-16 inch short tined 8. I let all of them walk. About an hour after letting the biggest walk I was startled out of my tree by a gun shot. The neighbor across the ridge had shot. Here comes a stampede of deer, all the ones i had already seen. The big 8 had been hit low in the front leg. Didnt break the leg and was not dragging it, so I let him walk again. After monday I shot a doe on tuesday. Didnt see another buck all week. Best first day of gun season I ever had for being in the right spot and seeing plenty of deer. Another question did anyone notice an increase number of Amish hunters in their areas? The Meadville Mall was full of them checking in deer. Gonna be a low kill this year.

James

02-Dec-14
I am from PA, however I hunt Lewis Wetzel WMA in Wetzel County. The first 3 days of rifle season there were not many deer killed, or many shots fired. Out of my group of 4 hunters, we seen 4 deer. Horrible. Alot of the hunters that I spoke with blame it on all of the does being killed in prior years, since now they can be killed on the first day instead of wed the first week on Public ground. Also, too many little bucks are being killed, I seen 2 little spikes about 4 inches long get killed on the first day. Not trying to stir up anything, however since we are from PA, we still follow our 3-point on one side rule in WV. Out of respect. BUt, definitely WV and the sportsmans need to do something about little bucks being killed, if not, that is what you will always have. Too many does being killed also. Just like in PA 15yrs ago, no deer, the same was happening. But, the State turned it over and it is almost excellent now. You all do have a beautiful state, and I love hunting it. Good luck to everyone.

02-Dec-14
Thanks DirtnapOutdoors. Sometimes its better to see from an outside perspective.

02-Dec-14
It was tough for me. took me til Monday of the rifle season to take my spike buck with my recurve. I though about letting him go because he would have been a 3 point next year and I would get deductions for that extra point.

02-Dec-14
Maybe that can change for ya in the near future. I see some nice bucks coming out of Pendleton/Grant so apparently someone is passing on bucks.

02-Dec-14
Where I hunt in Maryland there are a lot of Amish. From my experience they shoot everything they can. They have decimated the game on their own property and are always looking for new places to hunt. I heard that most people won't let them on their land.

If you give one permission , the whole family including cousins, uncles etc show up. That is my experience, others may have a different opinion.

02-Dec-14
I have a friend that ticketed the Amish for numerous game violations in Greenbrier County.

02-Dec-14
You might see some nice bucks coming out of Pendleton county but no one is passing on em. I guarantee u that. Want to see some nice bucks? Stop by And I will show you some from Iowa And Montana. i have never seen a deer over 140 in Pendleton county. And it will change for me when everyone here is required to change.

02-Dec-14
The Amish can drink some beer too.

02-Dec-14
They make nice furniture too.

Maybe all those good ol boys in Pendleton county that shoot everything are actually Amish?

02-Dec-14
No I don't think so. They can't make furniture.

02-Dec-14
The Amish own couple hundred acres beside me. They are hard on bucks but they also shoot their share of does. I listen to them on the radio whisper their Pennsylvania Dutch during gun season. LOL

They hunt hard the Wayne National forest in Ohio (62,000 acres just across river from me). Guy was telling me today that opening day in Ohio he saw over 20 full size vans pulling trailers which the Amish rent to set up deer drives. They love to hunt deer.

05-Dec-14
I hate to be a dark cloud. The reason for a horrible season this year is due to this states desire to sell off its deer herd to the almighty dollar. When the deer are finally gone what will they do for money? The mast crop, bad weather, we are believing already what the DNR is going to tell us and they haven't said anything yet. Did the mast and weather have something to do with this horrible season sure but not totally. It has been in the making for a long time. What will the answer be next year, more tags to sell, 3 to 5 more youth seasons, 3 to 5 more doe seasons they will tell everyone that they need to kill more deer next year to balance out the herd. Where is this herd they keep talking about,, Sorry for the long vent.

05-Dec-14
Imagine what is going to happen as the Elk herd starts to grow in WV. How will they be managed? At the rate they are talking about. I probably will not see a chance to hunt them in my lifetime, But I am not too optimistic about how they will be managed.

05-Dec-14
Have a good friend within the DNR (Do Not Regulate) that has told me so far the harvest is down nearly 50 percent statewide....that's huge

05-Dec-14
I agree spec. We simply can't just keep killing this many deer. Remember we are not the only predators in the woods. And I would say that automobiles kill as many deer as we do.

06-Dec-14
I notice that the counties that border WV in ohio did away with their three additional doe tags this year. Obviously they didn't call our game biologists. They must have figured out themselves that we need to quit slaughtering our deer. It's nice to see some states worrying more about deer management then how much money they can bring in.

06-Dec-14
I agree wvbownut. We kill too many deer. Period

06-Dec-14
I spent the last few days in Monroe county near Union. More deer sign but, less deer sightings than I have ever seen. There is no shortage of deer anywhere I've been. If you don't have them, improve the habitat. It is the limiting factor, not the doe harvest. Which, ironically, you most all complain about being to light in comparison to the buck harvest.

The deer still have a bumper crop of acorns in the woods. You aren't going to see them humping and feeding in open areas or in the daylight during years of heavy feed like this. A deer can still fill his belly in a 1/4 acre area every where I've been except Pocahontas county. Kick out some leaves around your oaks and see for yourself!

There are plenty of deer in areas that will hold them. Plenty. If you aren't in one of those areas, move or mange your property for deer habitat. Deer habitat isn't corn feeders or food plots. Ideally, It's thick, nasty. multiple aged forest's. If you don't have to pick your course through your woods, it isn't ideal habitat. Period. And it most certainly will not hold deer in great numbers. Period.

06-Dec-14
Improve the habitat???????? If the bumper crop of acorns is in the woods and we the hunters are in the woods wouldn't we the hunters and the deer bump into each other ? Habitat is important, but asking someone to move is not the answer. The habitat in WV is great for deer the habitat or habits of are elected officials entrusted to manage the deer herd is not. Everyone one of us could probably do something on are property to make it better for deer, but we need to get a little help from the DNR. No matter what we do, the continuous efforts to make top dollar every year off this states deer herd must stop. Period

06-Dec-14
No, you won't bump into deer in the woods if they have good habitat and a lot of food. That's the point. They have the hiding, browse, food needed to feed in their time. Hunger and competition is a great motivator. If they can feed during the day within yards of their bed, they will do so, and save travel for dark. It's why you aren't seeing them if, you do have good habitat. You are right, a lot of WV does have great habitat. A lot of it doesn't. It takes young succession, multiple aged forests. Not browsed out, closed canopy forests that encompasses a good bit of private property in this state.

I spend a lot of time in the woods in a lot of places. I see more sign, more evidence of deer now, than ever before in most areas. You are only speaking of your experience. So am I. I believe what I see. I spend enough time in the woods all over to think if you did as I, you wouldn't be singing your sad song. Hence my move statement. Find another area to hunt or improve your area. If you'll do any of or all of these, you'll see what I see and say what I and all others who do it say. Period.

Things change in 20 years. Forest's especially. Which is the determining factor of deer health in any area. We have shot a lot of does. If you had good habitat 20 years ago when we started doing this, if you haven't practiced any further TSI procedures, you don't have as good now. That, I promise you with out even seeing it. But, it's easier to blame the dnr.

No sense in arguing about it. This is my last post on this thread. I know and live the science behind it. So, I'm certain who is correct. God Bless

06-Dec-14
Imma move. To Iowa. Lol. For two weeks every year.

06-Dec-14
FWIW, I was saying find a place that has good habitat if your area does not. Not literally move your home

06-Dec-14
JR, you still won't be able to get a buck tag by doing that. At least not yet. Maybe in future?

WV Mountaineer and I disagree on several things( like the # of big bucks out there), but as far as what he is saying here, I know he is spot on correct about that.

07-Dec-14
I can get a buck tag

07-Dec-14
I can get a buck tag just not every year. If you know how to play the system you can hunt Kansas, Iowa, Montana, Idaho and Indiana. Somewhere every year. And have a better chance of killing a nice buck than here.

07-Dec-14
Go hunt public land in any of those states and tell us how it goes in comparison.

07-Dec-14
Don't need to hunt public land. Why would I want to do that? I want to kill big deer. I bought my own land to increase my chances.

07-Dec-14
JR , you are right. You can get a Kansas tag every year now. The Iowa archery tag probably once every 3 years. A shotgun or Muzzleloader tag every couple years. I waited 4 years for my first archery tag. I bought a point this year and will be able to draw a muzzleloader tag next fall. Already have a late season hunt lined up.

07-Dec-14
I can go to Ohio or Indiana and realistically expect to kill a 130 class buck on public land every year. I cannot expect to see one even every five years in WV in the area I hunt. Time to make some changes.

07-Dec-14
I agree Sunday. I juggle the tags to hunt the Midwest and west.

07-Dec-14
I missed a 140" 10 point last year in Ohio the first day on a piece of public land I had never hunted. The ironic thing is,it was on a Sunday! Agree with you Cory,big changes need to happen.

07-Dec-14
Yes, it is time for the DNR and Commission to listen.

07-Dec-14
Well, let's do this then. How about all you guys that want big change, post pics of the 130" or better deer you have killed in any of those states, on public land. I mean if it is so easy and to be expected, let's see your results in the pics. Show us stubborn people one for every two or three trips you went there and hunted and killed them on public land and, I'll convert to a one buck limit. Heck, include rifle kills too. One trip doesn't count though. If it is so easy and to be expected, surely you went back and, surely if you did, you have killed one for every two or three seasons spent doing it. Since they are behind every tree over there.

The dumb bunch and good ole boys are waiting. God Bless

07-Dec-14
I don't even know what you are saying or asking?

I thought you had always said that we had lots of big bucks in every county ?

08-Dec-14
i live in monroe county. i own a farm in monore county. if there are so many acorns like you say and the deer are so spread out, why do i see 20-30 from my drive to work and back everyday in the fields eating when mcdonalds is in the woods, as you say? you are seeing less deer because there are less deer, the numbers will speak for itself. give me a minute and i will show you a picture of the good ole days.

change is good, i dont hear kentucky folks complaining, only holding up their giants with a big smile. they can still kill a spike if they so desire, but the dnr gave them a decision. ohio, the same way, i dont hear them complaining. matter of fact, them guys in neighboring states are laughing all the way to the bank. they can hunt their big boys in their own state then for a little fee can cross over to wv and blast the hell out of a bunch of whatever they want. i will agree that there are too many does in some counties and the dnr has done a wonderful job taking care of that.

i hope corey takes you up on your offer to post the 130's he's killed over the years out of state, he has killed some good uns!

08-Dec-14
I am five bucks in six years in Indiana. The only year I didn't kill a buck was the year temperatures were in the 80's. Hunting out of state is a joy that everyone should experience.

08-Dec-14

shakyheadsabol's embedded Photo
shakyheadsabol's embedded Photo
you dont see this anymore in my county.

08-Dec-14
Nor should you. probably wasn't a buck in the bunch. Well, maybe a spike.

08-Dec-14
Right...I'm not saying good or bad just the fact that the pop is down....Dnr for does seems to be working in my county, not sure when they should curtail it..but, as the doe pop decreases the buck pop should be doing better but it's not I assume because of the broad regulations on bucks...as far as government doing anything about our regulations, if they are like any other big business, they will want the cold hard numbers before making decisions...maybe this year's numbers will make them think

08-Dec-14
Why would you hunt public land? Just to say you hunt public land. How about posting pics of all the deer you have killed here over 130 on private land. I have never ever seen one of private land in Pendleton county. I saw 8-10 deer that size on two different hunts every day in Montana.

08-Dec-14

08-Dec-14
In Montana there would be 10 racked bucks in that group and 4-5 would be over 120.

08-Dec-14
Sorry for the blank post. Mtneer of course its not easy. There are not many of any bucks like that on public land which is why we want a change. In Montana you can kill one buck.

08-Dec-14
The other thing is that in WV we are kinda lucky because we have so much public land. We have over a million acres of National Forest. A lot of the Midwest states like Iowa and Illinois have minimal public land in comparison . So it's kinda like comparing apples to oranges as far as public land.

08-Dec-14
We are blessed. We just need buck management and a responsive DNR/Commission.

08-Dec-14
I agree. Short of a few token steps we have no buck management here. The public is wanting change and we need to make them hear it.

08-Dec-14
Gobbler, I agree with the public land comment. Which is why I said what I said.

Shaky head, I know Cory has killed some nice deer out there. I understood it to be on a private farm. Either way, he is the one making the claims he could do it on public land rather easily in those states. Not me. I'm still waiting for those 130 inch or better deer pics, killed on public land in a big buck state, 33% of the time you go there to hunt. If we are going to make these claims as reason to change, we ought to be basing it on real world experience, not assumptions.

I know the time I've spent time talking to residents and Biologists of those states, what Cory is claiming simply isn't so on public land anywhere in those big buck states. So, why should we expect it here? Just some food for thought.

I want to say this: It is impossible to debate this without sounding arrogant coming from my view point. I appreciate Cory for being very civil and understanding that I'm not trying to be arrogant. Only questioning. It is simply debate, not confrontation. Thank you again Cory. God Bless

08-Dec-14
Wouldn't be fun if we all agreed...

08-Dec-14
Maybe it's just me but if I won a completely free 10 day hunt on public land in Iowa or WV, I think I would rather spend the time in Iowa.

Public land on average is not and never will be as good of hunting as private land unless there is a quota of the # of tags given out for that particular area. That is because there is no control of the number of hunters unless it's a limited quota.

Take Colorado for example, an occasional good bull will come out of an over the counter unit, while a couple of the limited quota units will produce 350+ bulls on a regular basis if you can draw the tag. Regardless of whether it's public or private it's all about the quality of habitat and how it is managed including the number of hunters.

08-Dec-14
Why? "You can't eat the horns" And all that excess weight means a much harder drag!LOL

08-Dec-14
Number of hunters is the key.,

09-Dec-14
I've killed 5 bucks in the last six hunting trips to Indiana. I didn't go out one year. Three of five were on private and two were on public land. This isn't killing a big deer once every ten years. This is the realistic expectation to harvest a nice buck public or private every single year. To go out for a week and kill a deer every year except the year when temps were in the 70/80's tells me that the deer are there.

I have hunted public land in Ohio and seen 160 class bucks. The deer are there.

I've never seen a 160 in WV. I've never seen a 150 in WV. I've never seen a 140 in WV. Hunted here my entire life.

People want change. It's time our DNR helped with it.I'm not looking for 125's around every tree but I would like to see a sixteen inch eight point every year.

09-Dec-14
Bingo sunday. Same way with me an Iowa and Kansas and Montana. Plus I see nice deer all the time that I don't get a shot at. It is a whole different ball game. Most of those states only have a one buck limit.

09-Dec-14
I completely agree with WV Mountaineer on the deer population. Here in Marshall co. WV the number of doe are just ridiculous. I own & live on an 80 acre farm that is roughly 50% hay & pasture field and 50% wooded. There is one 10 acre hayfield on the property where there is always 30+ doe every single evening. You can ride thru my fields a hour before dark and count 40 to 50 doe. I would say roughly 1/3 of them bed on my farm and the others bed on neighboring farms that come my way to feed. The doe to buck ratio is pathetic in our part of the state. I believe it to between 6 or 8 to 1 in my area.

There used to be no bow hunter's on the all farms surrounding my property and I was able to harvest with a bow an 8 point or bigger with a min. of 17" inside spread on my same 80 acres for 5 consecutive years from 2008 to 2012. I was skunked this year as well as last year.

Heavy bow hunting started to take place on 2 of the bordering farms in 2011 and the quality of bucks has dwindled. These guys are shooting anything with a horn with their bows. The one guy in particular has tagged out each year plus wounded and never retrieved at least as many as he has tagged, Pathetic.

I have 5 trail cams out on my 80 acres and this year there was 8 racked bucks bigger than a spike that showed up on my camera's with 5 frequenting the property. There was actually an 8 & 9 this year in the 17" range after being nothing wider than 14" for the 2013 season. The 2013 season was the first year since 2007 without a shooter buck and I feel it was due to the slaughtering on neighboring property in 2012. Well I passed on the 9 a couple times during bow season and had the 8 within 50 yards several times but just couldn't close the deal. The 8 was wounded by a bow hunter on the neighboring property 8 days before gun season started and hasn't been seen again so I'm sure it died somewhere.

There was still 3 of the 8 racked bucks on camera's from Tues. thru Thurs.(Thanksgiving Day). I just checked the camera's this past Sat. the 6th and not 1 racked buck picture since Thanksgiving day morning. I believe all of the original 8 bucks have been harvested on neighboring properties that get overrun by the orange army during gun season. I think the 2015 season is going to be a horrible one around here because there isn't going to be any buck carryover from this year. Age is the biggest factor in producing decent bucks and statistics say that only 20% of bucks in WV make it past the 1.5 year mark and a mere 3.5% make it past 2.5 years old(Bow hunting Only counties excluded), and this is a major problem for WV. I agree the buck limit needs to be changed to preferably 1 but I think even 2 would show some improvement in buck quality.

For those who don't believe about the excessive doe population then I can produce pictures or even better yet I would welcome some folks to harvest some doe from my property. My wife & I will kill a couple each during the doe only season but that hardly puts a dent in the out of control population.

Well sorry for the rant but I am a new member and just got tired of folks claiming the deer pop is dangerously low, it might be in a few areas but Definitely not in my area. I feel a lower limit on doe would be a total disaster.

09-Dec-14
I do not believe that doe limits need reduced in the northen part of the state. Some northern counties probably need a doe harvested before a buck can be harvested.

We need the pressure off of bucks. Period.

One ten acre hayfield shouldn't have 30 deer sightings every night. Especially when it is 30 does and zero bucks

09-Dec-14
I couldn't agree more. I guess I never really thought about it but harvesting a doe prior to a buck is splendid idea. So many doe places a stress on the herd because of the competition for food especially during the winter months. Also it makes it super tough when bow hunting because when you always have a herd of doe around you it makes hard to move or do anything else without being noticed. I do plant a small 1 acre food plot every year above my pond but I have never fenced it off from the deer and although it looks beautiful every spring/early summer it get devoured down to dirt by late summer then the weeds take over due to the extreme over grazing. I have had the hope that some bucks would benefit from the high protein of the plot in combination with mineral sites but if they don't get to age any then all other efforts I put forth are essentially a waste of time.

We are beginning to have a coyote problem here in the northern part of the state as well and I originally welcomed the coyote problem because I thought it would help thin the deer population but hasn't had much effect on any game yet.

Then, we had a newborn calf eaten by coyotes while the cow was down and pushing the calf out in 2011. Since then we pay the USDA to try to control the coyote population. The guy puts out setups that the coyote bite & attempt to pull up and take off with. When they pull on the device it shoots poison in there mouth and kills them instantly. Last year the guy got 7 coyotes but unfortunately only 2 were female.

So now since we have been forced to attempt to control the coyote due to having cattle then we as the hunter will have to try to control the doe population and do what we can to improve the quality of the herd.

09-Dec-14
That is why the doe kill is done county by county. I am sure your county, with that many does, has a liberal doe kill. Now my county, I have not seen a deer period since Thanksgiving. I have a feeder at my cabin because my GF likes to watch them while I am out hunting. I have no pics of any deer on it since Thanksgiving weekend. I am not sure where they went.

09-Dec-14
Looks like the deer kill, including buck kill, is going to be down significantly region wide. That crosses state lines and includes a variety of regulations. Something global going on.

09-Dec-14
Sunday, I'll take that as a great accomplishment. I also take it as you didn't accomplish what you said was a very reasonable expectation in Indiana, while using it as example of the results to expect here. None the less, they are deer to be proud of which I'm sure you are.

I've killed deer that scored 150 inches in WV. I've killed deer that scored 125 in WV. Not bunches. Just a few. Nonetheless, I used to be a very serious deer hunter up to about 6 years ago, when I quit bowhunting the coal fields. I've killed all but one of these deer on public land in multiple counties in southern WV. They are there if you look in the right spots.

Tying to compare deer from Western Kentucky, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, etc..., grown on those crops, as a comparable to shoot for is comparing apples to oranges. Not pointing out that public land deer size claims aren't going to be that much different, regardless of the state you choose to hunt.

Anyways, you guys got your wishes and wants. I'll see some of you at the regional meetings if I can get off work in time to get there. Good luck with the remaining season. Deer are going to start moving in daylight next week if it doesn't get too warm. God Bless

P.S. Go over to the main bowsite and read the thread about the Penn State deer study. It's a good read and will be very interesting to watch develop.

09-Dec-14
Must be global warming. Obama told us and we wouldn't listen. LOL

09-Dec-14
2013 buck kill: 56,333 My prediction for 2014: 34,926 or 38% down

09-Dec-14
No way will they publish a number that low

09-Dec-14
I Gree Mtneer. Trying to compare Midwest deer with our deer is ridiculous.,

09-Dec-14
Nah, it isn't global warming. Deer always get on their feet during daylight, towards the end of December. I'm just guessing but, I assume our shotty biologist understood this when they switched muzzleloader and doe season around. To kill more does. God Bless

09-Dec-14
I knew it wasn't global warming, I was just being sarcastic.

09-Dec-14
I know. Me too. :^) God Bless

10-Dec-14
Who said anything about cpmparing deer. maybe comparing management results but not deer. maybe comparing the results of a more conservative bag limit on bucks with hunters who pass up small bucks with a a liberal buck limit where bucks are not passed up out of great fear that some other hunter might get "your" buck if you pass it up.

10-Dec-14
From everything I am hearing it's looking more and more like the buck kill is going to down around 40%

Here is my question: How can the DNR justify the same buck limit with a kill under 40,000 that they did back when we were killing around 100,000 bucks?

10-Dec-14
I read where Ohios deer kill was way down. I'm not sure how that is explained

10-Dec-14
Probably the same as ours, lots of mast and bad weather.

10-Dec-14
Time for change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-Dec-14
Gobbler. Money

12-Dec-14
hey WV Mountaineer. I'd sure like to see some pics of those big deer you've killed. You stated that you know and live the science so I'm thinking with all your experience and the time you spend in the woods in the areas you talk about you must have one heck of a trophy wall. Be nice if you would let the gang here take a peek at some of your accomplishments. I'm always up for complimenting a fellow for his success and a picture is worth a thousand words.

12-Dec-14
But only pics since 08. Can't use old data for new proven points.

I believe it was 08 when is tarted hunting Indiana. Probably the five years before it I hunted Ohio. Unfortunately, due to work, most of these trips were 3-5 days. However, I typically harvested a deer.

The point is I see more quality bucks in one buck states on both private and public land than I have ever seen in WV.

The point is we are killing under half the bucks we killed ten years ago and are at the same bag limit. If I have half the revenue coming in I don't keep the same expenses. Why should we keep the same antlered bag limits?

The last two years the DNR survey has shown an overwhelming support for lowering the buck limit. The DNR/ Commission needs to go off of what they are hearing from the sportsmen of the state. They are not in a position to disregard info because they feel it is too small of a sampling. They are in a position to do a better job of sampling.

With the new online license sales just attach a quick, easy survey that must be completed before buying a license.Problem solved.

Time for some change in WV.

12-Dec-14
Well put Sunday. I agree.

12-Dec-14
Deer Hunters in West Virginia harvest 37,277 bucks during the buck firearms season

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Preliminary data collected from game checking stations across the state indicate deer hunters in West Virginia harvested 37,277 bucks during the two-week buck firearms season, which ran from Nov. 24 through Dec. 6, 2014, according to Frank Jezioro, director of the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR). The 2014 buck harvest is down 34 percent from the 2013 harvest of 56,523. The top 10 counties for buck harvest were as follows: Preston (1,531), Greenbrier (1,384), Randolph (1,254), Lewis (1,159), Ritchie (1,157), Hampshire (1,069), Wood (1,019), Upshur (1,015), Monroe (1,001), and Mason (998).

This year’s overall buck harvest is lower than last year’s with decreases occurring in all DNR districts. The largest percentage decreases occurred in the western counties of the state, while the buck harvest in the mountain and southeastern counties had smaller decreases. Warm and very windy weather across the state on opening day; heavy snowfall Wednesday, the third day of the season, in the eastern panhandle of the state; and a rainy second week impacted hunter participation and contributed to the decreased harvest across the state.

The excellent acorn crop this fall also contributed to lower hunter success, just as a similar abundant acorn crop in 2010 led to a 31 percent decline in buck harvest followed by a 38 percent rebound in 2011. This year’s preliminary buck harvest remains 33 percent below the previous five-year average of 55,902.

Wildlife biologists and wildlife managers collected age-specific biological information at checking stations in 19 counties this year. They will analyze data from the combined 2014 deer seasons (buck, antlerless, archery and muzzleloader) before making appropriate recommendations for next year’s deer seasons.

These recommendations will be available for public review at 12 regulations meetings scheduled for March 16 and 17, 2015 (see current 2014 - 2015 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Summary page 6 or visit the DNR Web site at www.wvdnr.gov for meeting locations and dates).

Director Jezioro reminds hunters that several days of deer hunting opportunity still remain for 2014. The traditional antlerless deer season in selected counties on both public and private land opens Thursday, Dec. 18 and runs through Saturday, Dec. 20. The Youth, Class Q/QQ and Class XS deer season for antlerless deer will be open Friday and Saturday, Dec. 26 and 27. in any county with a firearms deer season.

This will be followed by the reopening of Class N/NN antlerless deer season Dec. 29-31 in 50 counties or portions of counties (see 2014 - 2015 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Summary or visit the DNR Web site at www.wvdnr.gov for county and area listings). **DNR**

12-Dec-14
Danny, If you want to see my deer heads. Come to my house. I'll be happy to show them to you. Then we can work through the differences we seem to have.

13-Dec-14
WV Mountaineer. I just figured since you're constantly sharing on here you'd pleasure us with some pics of those big deer you have killed here in WV. Everybody likes big deer pics. Even though we do look at things very differently I didn't view it as a personal issue.

Heck...I think gobbler and babysaph are full of crap half the time but that don't mean we wouldn't have a blast on a hunting trip. I don't agree with Sunday hunting on private land ONLY (everywhere or nowhere) but that don't mean sundynwv and I are mortal enemies. You stated you've killed 125--150"ers in WV so I'm just thinking some pics of those accomplishments might just help your opinions hold water. In your mind you seem to know what's best for us deer huntin' hillbillys so help us to help you. Show us how you've managed the deer in your area and only killed those big bruisers with some pics of'em. I'll be the first to compliment you and I know others on here will do the same.

13-Dec-14
I always like to see pictures of big deer, but then again I'm full of crap half the time. LOL

It's all good, we all have our opinions. Not everyone is going to agree 100% of the time, and that's ok. That's how people learn and ideas get born.

13-Dec-14
Mountaineer, I think you should just show the pictures of your deer. If I was part of your debate, I wouldn't have a problem showing pictures of my deer. I would be proud to show them

13-Dec-14
SSWV,

State code dictates that it is private land only. If you wait for everything the result will be nothing forever.

Trust me, I want it on all lands but am bound by the parameters of the law like everyone else. Regardless, their are thousands of people in West virginia that now have much more hunting opportunities than they did a year ago.

13-Dec-14
Heck I know I am full of crap most of the time.

14-Dec-14
Whew, that takes a load off my shoulders. I thought. I was going to have to tell you!

14-Dec-14
Lol.

• Sitka Gear