SwampHills 10-Dec-14
Jeff in MN 11-Dec-14
South Farm 11-Dec-14
brewski 11-Dec-14
Cheesehead 11-Dec-14
RutNut@work 11-Dec-14
brewski 12-Dec-14
30-Nov-14
I'm considering coming up to Wisconsin next deer season and will be hunting public land. I'm bringing my sit on top kayak with the hopes of getting into some hard to get areas that would be difficult to get to on foot..For obvious reasons..PREASURE Am I dreaming, or are there some good quality areas that this mode of hunting would be beneficial? Talk to me. By the way I have 2 kayaks if someone would like to have some fun and try this type of hunting with me. Thanks Brew From Utah and Florida

30-Nov-14
Don't bother, there is no deer in Wi.

30-Nov-14
RJN..Thanks give me a call when you want to come to Florida to fish. I'll be more than happy to show you some dried up ponds. Anyone with a little class that would like to respond would be greatly appreciated. Please act a little older than RJN

30-Nov-14
Areas that no one gets too...LOL... funny guy... I say bring your yak... paddle in to some of the most remote...Your belief... area.. spend money time and effort to get way back in only to hear the rumble of a Honda loaded down with deer feed and a chubby guy driving right thru the swamp you set up on ..Good luck......but i feel you will be far from satisfied from your efforts and expense ...but to each their own

30-Nov-14
Antler Guy..This is exactly why I'm inquiring..I'd really like a bit of constructive opinions. So far I'm 0 for 2 on this site.

30-Nov-14
Several years ago I met two great guys from Wisconsin while I was archery hunting for elk in Colorado. we had a great time and they were two of the finest guy's I've ever hunted with. We spent the entire 10 days together having a great hunt They left me with such a wonderful opinion of the Wisconsin people. I guess I can be persuaded to change my opinion. Thanks!

30-Nov-14
I know of some that hunt the White river through the Bibon marsh using canoes. They take some nice bucks too. It might be something you would be interested in I think.

30-Nov-14
Just trying to help ya out. Font WA St Your time, Numbers Are Down statewide.

30-Nov-14
Headwaters Wilderness Area .I would use a canoe. Low deer density.

30-Nov-14
Sorry... but your dream is pretty much just that...a dream...LOL not much land you can get to with a yak that can't be reached with a wheeler from some place.. been there done that....

Just sayin... but don't let me burst your dream... I hunt a lot of states.. not too tough to Internet scout out the best stuff your looking for.. so posting a deal here is hardly the approach you should be taking...

30-Nov-14
Brewski, These types of opportunities exist in Wisconsin, despite what others will have you believe. There are a few individuals on this site whose primary goal is to keep as many deer for themselves. The northern part of the state is flush with waterways, but the deer densities are low due to some harsh winters and predation. However, there are plenty of big bucks being taken up there for a guy who is willing to do some work and put in the time without seeing a lot of deer. I'd start my search in the larger tracts of public land (Nicolet and Chequamegon National Forests). There are also some areas in the Western part of the state that may provide what you are looking for. Good luck and happy hunting! I hope you have success and share it here :)

30-Nov-14
Bring the kayak or bring a small Jon boat. Try Palmer Lake in Vilas County. Backside of the lake is a wilderness camping area with hundreds of acres of huntable forest land around it. Motor from the boat launch to one of the wilderness sites. Setup camp and hunt from there. Check state and topo maps so you know where you are going. You will be alone. Beware, you could get a situation where the lake will freeze in Nov. and you will have to hike it out. Big bodied deer and the possibility of a 130 class buck. Bring fishing gear as well. Great perch lake.

30-Nov-14
Thank you very much for turning my interest into a positive experience. I only have a few years of hard hunting left in me. I'll be 65 by next bow season and I've hunted hard and in quite a few states. I've been lucky enough to take a couple of P & Y Whitetail but I've never been to Wisconsin and I'd like to try it. If I come I'll be here from open until close just climbing trees and sneaking around the woods.

Thanks Steve

30-Nov-14
Come on over Steve.. see for yourself... not disputing what some have posted positively... but unless your carrying your rabbits foot... well... just come and see... then you'll know..

30-Nov-14
Thanks Rancid. I appreciate that..

30-Nov-14
Thanks Rancid. I appreciate that.. Thanks for all the positive responses

30-Nov-14
Yes... it's all candy and nuts... come on over...plenty of secure hard to get to areas... that have big ol WI bucks running around....

30-Nov-14
Antler whore..your handle, and your responses pretty much sums up your maturity level. Please let the adults on here to interact and go to your room without supper.

30-Nov-14
I have an Ocean kayak, the Big Game model. Been thinking of using for hunting many times, but most areas I hunt are accessible by foot. The kayak has the weight limit, but securing one to the front seems like it would be tough.

30-Nov-14
Knife I think I could actually drape it across where my feet are when legs extended. I just wouldn't be able to use the rudder. I have the Ocean big game also.. it's pretty sturdy. I guess it could be tied lengthwise with the legs tied but it better be secure because I know the water would be cold. Heck.. think about carrying a wetsuit in the storage just to wear on the way back to shore ( just in case).. If I were to get a deer I'd leave everything behind and just ferry items back and forth if needed. Sounds like fun ...

30-Nov-14
I hunt alot by water. I have tried it all, and I can tell you from experience and acutally hunting what works the best in my opinion.....

Solo Discovery by Old Town.... This canoe is almost 11 feet long weighs about 35lbs. It will hold a deer nicely and is a perfect one man system.. It is very stable, and I tested mine this summer along the shores of Lake Superior......

Its 5600.00 or a little more ordered. I have 2 kayaks, now they are used by my daughters..... Even with this system I cut my deer in half putting them inside.....

NOTE: You must have the legs with your deer in Wis. I received a warning last year on this. To me they just are in your way, but Wis, still has alot of old man ideas, so even though you can cut up your deer, the legs must be with the deer,,,,,STUPID

Just some notes from someone who does cut up deer and transport via water.....

30-Nov-14
The canoe costs is $600.00

30-Nov-14
Brewski, PM sent....

30-Nov-14
Hmmm.. Most states have eliminated check in stations. That is old school. The canoe is a better load carrier, but for $600.00 I'd probably bring a small Jon boat and an electric motor.. " the deer was a quad amputee just crawling around when I shot it"

30-Nov-14
Brewski, also sent PM

30-Nov-14
Razorhead, what is 5600.00? I am confused.

30-Nov-14
brewski, will be sending a pm

30-Nov-14
Smoky - That was me using the computer without my glasses, ha ha. the canoe with tax is 600.00.... But for me, I hunt and trap and fish out of it, and can be handeled by one guy, its worth every penny......

As far as jon boats, I own 3, all bought at rummage sales and stashed on lakes in the woods, and one will be outfitted for duck hunting next seaon with a pull up blind......

I think when you really want to hunt out of a craft, you have to decide what you really need.......

#1 The beauty of a canoe like this, you can get down small water...... You can handle it easily, and I camp out of mine......

I have been delayed a day, taking care of a 4 year old, (lots of fun, little girls are special) tomorrow I go back to the UP, will be off line for quite awhile

Just wanted to offer my input. You can find deals though....... I know a guy by Watersmeet, that bought a 10 foot canoe off of Craigslist for 200.00, and he loves it, do not know any other details than that...

Smokey stay well

30-Nov-14
OK. I sort of thought so. Just for info there is an edit button so we can correct a post instead of making a new post.

30-Nov-14
I agree, the Jon boat is way safer and after a hard drag, the last thing you will want to do is paddle. Jon boat with an electric motor!

01-Dec-14
You see 10 I do agree, but again a hard drag should not occur, and your adding the burden of a heavy battery.......

That method works well, when you can easily off load boat and equipment, and leave boat along shore. Good system for lakes or some rivers, been there done that

Either way, using the water can be a friend at times.......

01-Dec-14
Brewski, the idea sounds fun. I'm certain that during bow season you will be able to find plenty of remote areas where you will not encounter another person. I wish you the best of luck with your adventure and I hope you post your results on here next fall.

01-Dec-14
pm sent

01-Dec-14
Thanks again every one a brain full of information from some great Badger hockey fans I hope!!

01-Dec-14

brewski's Link
Hey, maybe I'll forget my bow and just enjoy the creators gift to us all. enjoy!

01-Dec-14
I would seriously look at getting into marshes via water. One public area I hunt is a huge chunk of mars surrounded by some high ground. Almost all the hunters come in from the high ground. Two weeks into the season and you don't see a deer over 1 1/2 year old. On the rivers side of the marsh, the deer would be driven to you. Early season you will be in the bugs, late season you may get wet and cold. A thermacell may help. Bring a GPS because you may really need it to get out in the dark.

03-Dec-14
Brewski - You took those pictures? Beautiful.

03-Dec-14
Great photos Brewski! Canon or Nikon or? Favorite lenses?

03-Dec-14
Thanks Guy's...Yep, those are mine...I use a Canon T4i. Yesterday I bought a new Tamron 150-600 telephoto, but until yesterday my go to lens for big game has been the Canon 100-400MM 4.5-5.6. For my bugs up close and little frogs most are done with a 100mm Macro lens with extenders. I can't wait to get out and see what the Tamron 150-600 can do. I'll be pulling the trigger on a new Canon 7D MarkII.. That will be my go to camera. Thanks again. especially for the inspiration.

Brew

05-Dec-14
Now that is a cool boat. I would think a jet powered lower unit would be more appropriate for the places where people like us might use this thing. I would also think a winch on the front and back would be good insurance in case you get those ATV tires stuck. I want one configured on a big jon boat.

05-Dec-14

Zonks32's embedded Photo
Zonks32's embedded Photo
Brewski,

If you check out the Palmer Lake deal in Vilas county, make sure you are in WI and not MI.

The state line runs between the river that connects Palmer Lake to Tenderfoot.

In addition, some of the lands that people believe to be "open" around the lake are actually owned by the University of Notre Dame. My family rented a cabin on this lake for many years and we know the caretaker of the Notre Dame properties very well. Lots of public land too, just check the maps carefully.

Beautiful area, great lake, great people, tons of fish, and yes deer too.

I included a vacation picture from 2001 of one of Palmer Lake's most infamous deer. There were also 3 albino does that hung around the cabin we rented.

05-Dec-14
Now that is a cool deer picture.

I think 90% of the deer in northern Wisconsin turned albino during the gun season this year. That's why so few deer were seen by hunters, they blended in with the snow background.

05-Dec-14
Thanks guy's I really do appreciate all the positive responses. Nice bunch of fellow Bowhunters Thanks Brew

05-Dec-14
Why worry about putting a deer on the kayak? Why not just float them out? it works, I have done it.

07-Dec-14
If you float a deer out would you gut them first or after the float? Guessing it might depend on how far the drag is to the water.

10-Dec-14
Never hunted there before but you might check out the tiffany bottoms wildlife area.

11-Dec-14
Don't waste time on the Tiffany bottoms. I used to hunt there a lot and saw plenty of deer. In fact I got my first archery kill there a long time ago. Then came the days of doe slaughter tags, bad flooding, an influx of immigrant hunters and the deer population got pretty much exterminated in that area. I don't think it has recovered yet but it has probably been 5 years since I had feet on the ground there. I do frequently drive the highway that parallels it on the east side and don't see much along that road.

Other parts of the Mississippi backwaters (farther south) might still be worth checking into.

11-Dec-14
Not to be the fly in the ointment, but if you're planning to do this kayak hunt solo there's a lot of logistics that need to be worked out...mainly how you going to float down river from your vehicle, shoot a big buck, lash it to your kayak, and paddle back upstream?!? Sounds like more work than it's worth. My advice is find some remote lakes you can paddle across, or utilize drainage ditches that bisect one of the many WMA's or county land...any body of water with minimal to no current. I'm no expert on kayaks, but at first glance it appears a canoe to be a better option for deer hunting than a kayak...at least if you get one, but maybe I'm wrong??

11-Dec-14
the Kayak I use is a sit on top style . A lot more stable than a Canoe. I have a rudder and I'd actually consider a small trolling motor. As far a lashing the deer to the top ...Good question.. I'm till thinking about that one. On a calm day I think it would be pretty easy if I strapped it length wise even if I shoved the rear half in the foward hatch. Then again I may be out of my mind...

11-Dec-14
Great pics Brew! What kind of Kayak do you have? I purchased a sit on top fishing Kayak last summer. Loved getting in to some back waters and fishing. Maybe I'll try it out next fall for bow hunting. Mine is a perception pescador 10

11-Dec-14
Jeff, I have always floated them out after gutting them. It always went pretty well.

12-Dec-14

brewski's embedded Photo
brewski's embedded Photo
Cheesehead. I have two. My favorite is my Ocean Prowler Big game. The other is Ocean Trident. The trident is faster because it's narrower and the Big Game is more stable for rough water and I can actually stand up and fish from it. Both have foot controlled rudders.

• Sitka Gear