Moultrie Mobile
Trail Camera Video
West Virginia
Contributors to this thread:
Publichunter 30-Nov-14
wvmule 01-Dec-14
30-Nov-14
Just wondering how many of you guys use video settings on your trail cameras, and also how you use them?? I been playing around with video for the past two years and I really enjoy it! I have learned a lot, I always put my cameras over scrapes and rubs. I have had great success on scrapes over food sources, doe bedding areas and funnels all year long as many as 10 diff 2-4 year olds on some during the rut. But as for big rubs bucks just don't seem to revisit them very often, does and lil bucks are the most frequent visitors of rubs from what I've seen bigger bucks just don't pay as much attention to them as they do scrapes. Video has also helped me realize that cameras spook deer, so instead of hanging them waste high I hang them shoulder height or higher and they don't even notice them.. so I was just wondering how many are using this awesome new tool, because they say to know your enemy is to defeat your enemy. Not saying Whitetails are our enemy but you get what im saying

01-Dec-14
Much of what you are doing I am as well. I love the video settings and have been running more of my cameras on that setting for the last couple years. It simply offers so much more information.

I program them on the higher video length settings, like 25 seconds. Also, I set them up with the shortest interval between videos. I do the same for burst mode on photos with 3 pics and the shortest interval between the next trigger. You can always delete unwanted photos and videos upon review. I like to run larger memory cards because of this.

I set my cameras up high or very low as well. Otherwise, I see more animals getting scared. I prefer to set them between 6 and 8 feet. I have a couple I areas I set them even higher where I can easily climb a tree. This helps keep from scaring the deer and helps keep the bears from finding them. I do have a couple spots where I run the cameras on the ground and they don't seem to scare the deer either. These locations are where the ground is fairly level and the flash is never in their line of sight.

The one place that setting a camera up high backfires for me is at scrapes as the deer often are looking up as they work the overhanging branch. In those sets I like to have the camera a little further away and at the back of where I think a deer may be standing.

Also, one last tip...after cinching down the strap, I use the extra portion to wrap around the bottom of the camera and keep it tight against the tree. If a bear does find the camera placed at high on the tree, it seems to lose interest in it quickly if it can't move it very well. I get far less bear hits with the camera high. However, I have yet to have a camera damaged since I started setting them high and tightly strapping down the bottom. All I get is a couple mouth photos and that is it.

I have come to enjoy trail cameras as a hobby second only to bowhunting and using my hand held cameras. However, one can run trail cameras all year and they give a wealth of information that make my bowhunting and other photography so much better. I love them!

• Sitka Gear