DaveA 05-Dec-14
bigbuckbob 05-Dec-14
Onthehunt 05-Dec-14
bigbuckbob 05-Dec-14
Toonces 05-Dec-14
cuntrytocity 05-Dec-14
treeman16 06-Dec-14
02-Dec-14
So, my Dad, brother and I have been working our property in western MA for years. Food plots, stands, etc. we do it because we love it, but the hunting is tough. Some big deer on camera but they're pretty few and far between. This AM Dad and brother are hunting, hear a shot and by the time they got over to the area all they found was a gut pile, drag line, and the cleared out spot the guy sat in when he dusted one of the bucks we've been targeting in our radish plot (the whole place is posted) ... Annoying! While I'm writing this, my Dad just texts me that he "caught the bastard." We'll see what happens, thought I'd share.

02-Dec-14
Keep us posted. I love to hear what happens.

02-Dec-14
This is not a hunter! They are as much a poacher as someone who shoots deer at night along side the road. Let us know what happens.

02-Dec-14
Hope they throw the book at him!!! Please post the outcome!

02-Dec-14
He shacked the two of them out of there and I called a neighbor to go get their plate number, call the pd or what?

02-Dec-14
Why are you even asking us what to do?

02-Dec-14
I would call. They were tresspassing and you don't want them coming back and they'll tell their friends to stay away.

02-Dec-14
I'd have already called dude

02-Dec-14
not or what. The first one and you are wasting time. cops should've been waiting for them at their truck.

02-Dec-14
Called the pd, will let you know the charges that come about.

02-Dec-14
Call the PD AND the DEEP. Let them know that you intend to press charges.

In my experience trespassers will continue to do what they do until they are convinced that coming back to you spot would be a huge mistake. When I bought my land in NY, I gave everyone warnings and asked them not to come back. They kept coming back until I got upset enough to call all the relevant authorities. Since my property borders NYC Watershed and State Park that meant: The county Sheriff, The DEC, The DEP (Watershed conservation officers) and the State Park Police. Once the trespassers realized that I was serious they went elsewhere. One guy gave me a pretty hard time, screaming at me that he'd ridden there his whole life and thought it was fine to come any time he wanted. I reminded him that "I paid the taxes, he's on my land illegally, he's acting aggressively and I have a loaded shotgun in my hand and a dog at my side, so I thought it'd be a really good job if he left immediately." I haven't seen him since.

Trying to be a nice guy will not work. At a minimum call the cops and get the plates. Even if no charges are brought ask that the info is recorded so the next time it will be a more serious charge. And there will be a next time, and you'll wish you were more aggressive the first time.

02-Dec-14
Did he take the deer or left it behind? Can you elaborate on what your dad and bro did?

02-Dec-14
Slightly annoying is a good title for this. If you let it this kind of thing get beyond slightly annoying it can drive you nuts.

My family a group of seven others used to own a very large parcel of land in CT which was purchased specifically for hunting. It was sold recently (despite my objections) but we still get to hunt it which is good.

I spent and still do spend a lot of time there trying to improve the habitat. For years the the thought of tresspassers coming on there and hunting and taking advantage of all the work I put in consumed me to the point that hunting it stopped being fun.

Eventually I just learned to put the worries aside as best I could and enjoy the property. If I ever buy land that is lesson I won't forget.

02-Dec-14
Toonces

in another post you stated that people who break laws already on the books should be handled by the courts, and not to worry about education classes to teach them right from wrong. Now you're suggesting that when they break the law that you should just ignore it. Your position is confusing for me so help me understand where you draw the line?

My opinion, and it's just my opinion, is I would fight for my rights and pursue these guys as far as the law allows. If you choose to ignore criminals on your property that's your right, and in this case Tpb can do the same. If it were my property, I would be pissed!

02-Dec-14
BBB you seem easily confused.

All I am saying is that as a recreational property owner you have a choice on how to handle this stuff. Policing the property can become so consuming and worrisome that takes away from enjoyment the property. I remember hearing from other owners that they found evidence of a poacher on our property. It made me nuts for weeks, and I found it just wasn't worth it.

You just need to find balance between worrying about tresspassers and enjoyment. For me, it was just better to let go for the most part, not worry so much about the tresspassers and enjoy the property while I was on it. I am not suggesting that is the right way for everyone to handle it.

02-Dec-14
Maybe they don't have any common sense and didn't take a hunters safety course. Probly shot their foot off too!

02-Dec-14
Slightly annoying? I would be seriously pissed off! I am still trying to catch the SOB that stole 2 stands off of a well posted property (140 acres) that a friend and I hunt. If we catch him, we will have him charged with every violation we can. I think I know who the jerk is and I don't care that we both live in a small town and that he is a "family man", he will face any charges that apply. I hope you do the same to your trespasser!

02-Dec-14

02-Dec-14
toonces

I'm truly trying to understand your approach to this issue, I'm not trying to make it a personal issue. I've stated before that I enjoy a good arguement, a healthy exchange of ideas and opinions is the only way to understand each other.

This post is about a poacher who went onto private property that was posted and shot a deer, was caught red handed and we were asked how he should handle it. Your response was learn to live with it or ignore it (not your exact words but what I understood).

In your other post you said let the justice system handle people that break the current laws on the books, that we don't need to take hunter safety courses to learn how to hunt. The person posting this thread caught the law breaker, so why should he ignore the crime?

Here's where I come from - laws are made for all of us to obey. If you don't like the law, whether it's to take a hunter safety course or trespassing, then work towards changing the law, don't ignore it and do whatever you want.

I guess we see things in a different light when it comes to laws and holding poeple accountable, so I'll it at that.

02-Dec-14
BBB,

I confess to enjoy tweaking you because you and I have very different views of the world. I would never share a hunting camp with you, but sparring with you here is a fun distraction.

In this case though your just looking for a reason to fight with me. I never said that the poacher should not be prosecuted.

All I was doing is relaying my personal experience on the subject on how easy it is to get so wrapped up in policing property that hunting it is no longer is fun.

I came that realization a few years ago when a buddy texted me that there was a poacher using our family land. At the time I was about a mile into a state forest deer hunting. I got so pissed I almost hiked out and drove to the property. That would have killed the entire day for me and for what? Maybe I happen to catch the guy? On a day when I am away from the office and supposed to relaxing in the woods I was just getting stressed out. I took a deep breath, sat back down and wiped the slate clean. From that point on I don't let that stuff irritate me and I just enjoy what I am doing. I have a job and a life that cause enough irritation. Hunting and the outdoors are supposed to be an escape from that.

03-Dec-14
I hunted a spot on time when deer stop coming thru I was next to 17 acres of town unhunted property well one morning I see a guy cross in front of my stand and head down to a old wooden stand on the 17 acres I confront him he tells me what is the most that could happen I get a 75 dollar fine for trespassing big deal. They ended up building a school there so no one hunts it now but that's what some people think .

03-Dec-14
I agree most tresspassers have no place to hunt that is why they hunt on someones elses land.So it is up to the land owners to convince them it isn't worth thier time or trouble to be on someone elses property without premission.

03-Dec-14
toonces

I sensed that you like to tweek me and that's fine, like I said, I enjoy hearing someone else's point of view and engage in a healthy exchange of ideas; so don't think I take it personnally. Neither of us are right, we're just cut from different cloth and that's fine.

I understand your point of view on the trespassing issue and agree with it to the degree that I hunt on large tracts of state land to get away from other hunters and hikers so I too can relax and enjoy the outdoors. But I would have walked out of the woods if someone was on my land hunting illegally. Something like that,....I do take personnally.

Good luck this season.

03-Dec-14
put a beat down on the guy the old fashion way.....that will adjust his way of thinking....

03-Dec-14
There are too many people today who have absolutely no respect for other peoples property. Yukon Roz, "trespassers have no place to hunt"? What about all the thousands of acres of state land?

Two weeks ago I dragged scent on the way into my stand on private land in Lyme. While putting a hoist line on my bow and pack I hear voices, here comes some dude with his girlfriend and a dog walking all over my trail. Never said a word, just glared at them. The dude says to me "Oh, is this private land? Sorry, we're leaving now". Bear in mind that you have to drive down a narrow driveway with no trespassing, private drive and posted signs all over to get there. Needless to say I never saw a deer that day.

03-Dec-14
cjb

I agree with you 100%. People today show little respect for authority, rules, regulations, etc.

No distracted driving - RIGHT! No Trespassing - EXCEPT ME when no one is around! No shooting past sunset - unless there's a big buck!

Pick a topic, and you'll find people who think the rules don't apply to them.

03-Dec-14
Generally speaking, most government rules and regulations are not worthy of our respect.

Heck the IRS feels the rules don't apply to them, why should we?

Back to tweaking you again BBB. :)

03-Dec-14
Generally speaking, most government rules and regulations are not worthy of our respect.

Heck the IRS feels the rules don't apply to them, why should we?

Back to tweaking you again BBB. :)

03-Dec-14
cjb5591 I was being kind to trespassers till they smashed every window on two loaders and an excavator in the gravel pit. Now if I see them they get what they disseve.Time in jail or worse .There is plenty of good state land if you put your time in.

03-Dec-14
Hey Toonces, your fly is down! :0

Come one, do you really believe that or are you looking for a reaction from me?

I'm a conservative republican, hate the social programs and government involvement in my life as well, but this is still the best country in the world. I try to work within the system for change, and not be a renegade.

The cellphone thing really sets me off!! I sold my motorcycle because I was no longer comfortable with Susie Cellphoner driving next to me on I-84 while texting on the phone. I wanted to throw ball-bearings at her window since she would never know it was me,....she's not looking at the road.

Nothing to do with hunting,...but I feel better venting.

03-Dec-14
Yukon Roz, hell yes there is plenty of good state land. Laziness also has a lot to do with trespassing. Getting trespassers and poachers pinched and throwing the book at them is fine by me, I've called DEEP myself a couple of times.

If it ain't yours, don't touch it!

03-Dec-14
a handfull of bolts does the trick to bbb.... ;)

03-Dec-14
notme

I've never done it, but was tempted several time to toss some hardware in their direction. I also was getting stupid after I pulled the motor on me VMAX and had it modified by PCW Racing. Ended up with 161 RWHP and 110 lb/ft of torque. First time on the highway I got into it and found myself floating around at 155 mph when I grabbed the brake. Not good!! Speed is a drug for me, too fun.

05-Dec-14
Toonces, So where exactly is this large parcel of land in CT? There's a whole bunch of us on here that wouldn't mind hunting it, and since you don't mind trespassers....lol

05-Dec-14
So happened with the police and the trespasser(s)??? We need an update.

05-Dec-14
Ill chime in on the tresspass thing. Last year i bought a lot to build my house. When i first close i post signs up no tresspassing. I see signs of tresspass. I stick cameras up. Get pics. Probably a dozen people walking around my propery. I would get pissed. My father inlaw say call police, town etc. Yeah as if there going to even care. I put up fences amd over a dozen signs. I figure that does it. No one is going to climb fences right. Well they find an opening and go around. Still tresspassing. I have realized and accepted people like that will always come. They are always going to be there. Gotta let it go or it will consume you.

05-Dec-14
Onthehunt

I can understand living with people walking on your property, I do the same. I live on a cul du sac and kids would walk through our yard to get to the next block, and I just befriended them and asked that they walk by the fence, not the middle of the yard.

But if someone were to come to my property and steal something of mine, I would be a bit upset. Shooting a deer on my property would fall into that category. I know, the deer doesn't belong to me, but it was on my property when taken, so I would feel the same sense of anger with the person commiting the act.

I gave up my #1 hunting spot to Duncan this year, so tolerance is something I embrace.

05-Dec-14
DaveA,

Property is sold, not for me to stress over anymore. In that respect it is kind of liberating, although I miss the landowner season.

05-Dec-14
I'm a public land hunter and I"d never knowingly trespass on someone's private land. PRIVATE being the key word......being from down South, trespassing can cause a man to lose his life, particularly in Texas where I served in the military. Let a rancher catch you trespassing on his land, the last thing you'll probably hear is a rifle shot, if you're lucky.

06-Dec-14
Yukon, that's probly some kids. Not many hunters doing damage to your personal property!

• Sitka Gear