Gonzo 09-Dec-14
bill v 10-Dec-14
Bogey PA 10-Dec-14
Bob McArthur 10-Dec-14
Outbackbob48 10-Dec-14
Bogey PA 10-Dec-14
RC 11-Dec-14
04-Dec-14
Is baiting legal in Pa? I would like to know.

04-Dec-14
Yes , in some of the special regs areas. Its regulated and a permit is needed.

You cant just take out bait and throw it around (unless your RC).

Go to the PGC website for more info.

Bill V.

04-Dec-14
then why are people doing it all over Pa? I hear it all the time.

04-Dec-14
Really? I never knew that Bill. Under what circumstances will they give you permission? Tell them RC sent you? lol

05-Dec-14
I am amazed at the amount of illegal bait advertised and sold in sporting goods stores all over the state. I know it's not illegal until you put it on the ground but why are they allowed to sell it at all. Another case of money being more important than ethics.

I too have been frustrated trying to get a poaching slob arrested. The lack of enthusiasm by the local game warden was disgusting. I gave up realizing he wasn't going to do anything.

05-Dec-14
If baiting is illegal in Pa. What is the true meaning of baiting in Pa.

05-Dec-14
What is the true meaning of baiting in Pa.

Well that would be spreading out a dozen of glazed donuts in the parking lot at Sheetz and waiting for some big sows to go after em.. :)

05-Dec-14
Boris, why don't you go to the pgc website and peruse the loads of information there. Or, visit them on facebook and ask them directly. Seems sensible to me that if you want proper information, you go to the proper authority....the one that wrote the rules.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us

05-Dec-14
Boris, people that are baiting all over the state are doing it Illegally.

Stick, from what I've seen in the past down here. when WCO's know theres illegal bait somewhere, they will visit it often and try to catch someone hunting it. I can only hope that the response you got was meant to not alert someone that they're watching.

Mule, In the special regs area 5D and I think 5C (but not sure) baiting is legal with exact rules and permits. I'm sure of this

Bill V

05-Dec-14

RC's Link

05-Dec-14
Baiting is propping up a box with a stick in RC's yard, tying a string to the stick, putting a Coors Light under said box, then hiding in the bushes and waiting for old Roy to come out and try to grab a cold one and then yanking the string catching him under the box. But he don't mind.

There was a hang on stand by my house. Under it was a trail cam and a big pile of corn. I usually just shake my head at that stuff but I knew who it was AND since he stole my damn trail cam the year before I called the PGC. They took my number and a CO called me back right away. He asked for directions to the stand. I told him it would be a little hard to find but gave him some directions. He called me back the next day and said "Damn dude... those directions were perfect. I walked right to it. No doubt the guy is baiting deer. It's right on a trail" He asked a few questions about the guy and told me to stay clear of the area so I wouldn't scare the guy off. It was late season. He went there every Saturday and a few times during the week but never caught the guy.. He called me back the day after the season ended and thanked me for calling and said he just wanted to let me know he did his best and the guy was never in the tree when he went there. No doubt he did his job as best he could. I was impressed.

Last week running the beagles over there I find brand new foot traps... with no name tags. I don't think the guy knows what a law is.

06-Dec-14
Good to hear stick n string. The teaching the kid the wrong thing is what get's me. My daughter had a kid at school tell her he shot an 8 point with his muzzleloader in the early season. My first thought...how does that kid ever have a chance to become an ethical hunter?

07-Dec-14
If a WCO is told about baiting on private property, can or will they go on the property to investigate without the landowners permission?

09-Dec-14
huntinelk, yes they can & they will. I've seen it happen here locally, in Blair Co.

Pat

10-Dec-14
Funny thing is. Baiting is legal in the special reg area here in the so east. It has to be done a certain way , its very specific and a permit is needed along with the permit being posted I know that many illegal sites where being looked at for various reasons like no permit, wrong bait or bait administered the wrong way.

I just don't get it. Then I listen to you guys about baiting around the state where it's never been legal ,yikes. What's the matter with people. Oh and teach your kid to do it too

Bill v

10-Dec-14
A non-human at work told me that hunting under a apple tree should be considered baiting? Then he complains that they eat his arborvitie every winter, I told him hunting near them would should be considered baiting then also.

10-Dec-14
I'll tell you what's wrong Bill, people are lazy and take the path of least resistance...and many are just slobs.

10-Dec-14
Bob x2

10-Dec-14
Sorry, non-hunter not non-human, ha.

Well let me think about that.....

11-Dec-14
Andy, you can edit your past posts here. Over on the top right of your posts, where the box that says alert editor is, on the left end of it is another icon, looks like a piece of paper with a pencil across it, click that and you can edit:)

• Sitka Gear