Bennett2012 12-Dec-14
gcoleman 12-Dec-14
deathwind 12-Dec-14
WBowhunt 19-Dec-14
Jim Casto Jr 19-Dec-14
hookman 20-Dec-14
Babysaph 20-Dec-14
04-Dec-14
Ok. Who has a new (to them) bow on their Christmas wish list and if so, what are you looking at?

I am looking at the Hoyt Carbon Spyder (used)

Have shot others, but always like the feel and draw cycle on the Hoyt. Like some of the features and really like the idea of not holding cold aluminum on those frost mornings

04-Dec-14
I have always been a traditional bow fan - I have many recurves and longbows but a shoulder injury is keeping me from using them that much at this time. I love to hunt and last year I was looking at not being able to unless I had another option other than my traditional bows, so i went out and bought a Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30. I must admit I really like it.

I recently started shooting one of my recurves and a longbow again trying to build my shoulder back up along with some gym time.

Shooting the Spyder has opened my eyes! Good gracious when I first started shooting it - it was so fast I could barely see the flight of the arrow! LOL I have one pin that I set for 20 yards and right now I use that pin from 10 to 30 yards. I shoot at greater distances at a target and maybe it is the time spent shooting my traditional bows but I just don't feel comfortable shooting beyond 30 yards. Even though when practicing I am pretty darn efficient at 45 yards.

So I give the Spyder an A+. Even after I get my strength back and return to shooting my other bows I will still keep the Spyder as backup.

04-Dec-14
Treated myself to a Christmas present. I've got a custom Toxocraft 19" ILF wood riser ordered. Received some pictures just a few minutes ago. He's ready to spray the finish on next week. So.... looks like Santa can put it under the tree.

04-Dec-14
I shoot out to 75 yards for practice, But still have yet to shoot a deer past 35.

04-Dec-14
Jimmy Don't you have enuff bows? :)

04-Dec-14
JR, you speak strange words....what is meant by "enuff bows?" I was not aware such a thing existed. :o)

04-Dec-14
Dr. J.R.,

Are you nuts? I only have 20 or so.

I remember back a few years ago Senator Phil Gramm from TX, was the keynote speaker for the National Rifle Association’s annual convention in Denver, CO. He started his speech by saying, “I have way more guns than I need, but I don’t have near as many guns as I WANT.”

Needless to say, the darn place erupted in a frenzy. To that, and for that, I say, GOD BLESS AMERICA!

:^)

05-Dec-14
Ok may sound stupid but I have never messed with anything but compound bows and for some reason right before season come in this year I started wanting to get a recurve think it's because I stay on this website to much and been seeing a lot of pictures of guys with their kill it's not on the christmas list but hopefully in line for next year can anybody give any suggestions tips and hints on what to look for or point me in a general direction?

06-Dec-14
30 lb. Samick Sage. Great bow, good weight to learn with, can get heavier limbs later on, if you like, and the bow won't break the bank.

Whatever you start with, I'd make a couple suggestions.

1) Get a bow that you can completely over power. Any stress can lead to bad habits.

2) Form is everything.

06-Dec-14
You can find great custom bows on the classifieds. Bear is making nice trad bows too if you still want to buy a new bow. Jim is right about the poundage. Get something light to start with and ask for advise on arrows. We all know someone who went to a pro shop and bought arrows that are way too stiff for their trad bow.

06-Dec-14
Agreed on going light on weight. My first venture into recurves, I figured I drew a 70lb compound, I should have no problems with a 50lb recurve. I was wrong. Part of it was also the bow I got seemed to stack really hard after about 26" of draw. I would suggest just like a compound, if you can go try a couple first, you will be much happier.

06-Dec-14
I've got a knew Elk Antler longbow on the way. Tore my other shoulder and have to drop down a few pounds. I'm sure there's plenty of guys out there that would let you try a recurve for awhile Bennett.

It sounds like you've been bitten by the trad bug!

06-Dec-14
Yeah just wish I knew more about them ima start lookin around now checkin different ones out and by spring I should have my mind made up on which direction I wanna go

06-Dec-14
Ok now I feel dumb I was looking around and checking it out online and was under the impression recurve traditional and longbows was the same thing but now I'm not sure what the difference is in them can talk help me out

06-Dec-14
When the bow is strung, if the string touches the limbs it is a recurve. There are longbows that have curves bending toward and away from the belly of the bow when they are unstrung. These are called reflex/deflex or hybrid longbows. They are a popular choice because they can be shorter and faster than the classic style longbow.

06-Dec-14
Recurves and longbows are both considered traditional

07-Dec-14
Where do you live Bennett? I got quiet a few you could take and shoot for a bit. All have different grips, riser cuts. Some are long bows, some are recurves. Best way to find what you prefer is to shoot a bunch of different ones over time, side by side. God Bless

07-Dec-14
I live just out side of Princeton in Lashmeet.

11-Dec-14

Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
Received an email from Bob Davis, of Toxocraft, yesterday. Looks like my Christmas present (to myself) is done and in the mail. :^)

11-Dec-14
Jimmy jimmy Jimmy, how in the world are you going to learn one bow with so many to shoot? :) Is that a lefty and a righty?

11-Dec-14
Bennett, You need to attend the bow shoots hosted by Johnston Chapel on Halls Ridge Rd. They have a lot of trad shooters including myself and you could try lots of bows there.

12-Dec-14
Yeah I never knew they had them until the last one was coming up this year and I was goin out of town that weekend don't they start in march or April and have em on the 1st or 2nd saturdays

12-Dec-14
take it from an OLD MAN stay with low poundage, don't need more then 50 lbs, and listen to these boys they got a lot of experience with stick bows.. find a good used one online sites like stick bow.com and tradgand.com

12-Dec-14
beautiful handle Jimmy

19-Dec-14
Well I did it. I got a Carbon spider. All I can say is WOW. Smooth draw cycle. Dead in the hand. Light weight and best of all was out in the yard this afternoon shooting in 30 degrees and it stays warm to the touch.

19-Dec-14
Good for you! Congratulations. I hear that Carbon Spider is as good as it gets. Look forward to seeing a hero picture with it. :^)

20-Dec-14
I've got a Treadway longbow ordered to pick up at the Kentucky tradfest in April. A little late for Christmas but thats ok.

20-Dec-14
My buddy has a Greadway longbow.,you will like it.

• Sitka Gear