Babysaph 10-Dec-14
Babysaph 10-Dec-14
strutter18 10-Dec-14
strutter18 10-Dec-14
babysaph 11-Dec-14
Bennett2012 11-Dec-14
Babysaph 11-Dec-14
06-Dec-14
I read an article on Facebook that there would be a survey for the public on the dnr website on the elk reintroduction. Once you've taken the survey you were to mail it to the dnr HQ in Charleston and then the results of the survey would determine whether or not the reintroduction would be attempted. I've not been able to find any type of survey on for this on the dnr website. Does anyone know anything about this and if so where I could find the survey?

06-Dec-14

WBowhunt's Link
I found this. " Written comments may be mailed to: West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Section, 324 4th Avenue, South Charleston WV, 25303 or by email [email protected]. Written comments must be submitted by Dec. 29, 2014."

06-Dec-14
Only thing I have seen on the site was one you had to print out and mail it in but I thought it said it had to be mailed in by dec 5th

06-Dec-14
Nope it says 29th

06-Dec-14
If we introduce elk in WV can we have another states biologist and DNR manage them? The state of WV is not equipped nor ready to take on this endeavor. We can not manage deer to introduce elk would be a joke and a disgrace to this animal.

07-Dec-14
I love elk. Hunt them every year. I can't imagine them in this state. I would venture to say that it would be on a draw and that more wud be killed by outlaws than hunters that draw a tag. Jmo. In fact I would bet getting drawn would be difficult.

07-Dec-14
I'm all for it. It'd be a good reason to hire more CO's. More CO's equals more poaching offense's prosecuted in the areas these elk will be released. Which is the biggest threat the deer there face. I could drive to suitable grounds in no time. I think it would be awesome to hear and see them. Just flipping awesome.

Reality says it likely isn't going to happen. God Bless

07-Dec-14
The only way this would work is if the public would be willing to turn in their own relative for poaching. And the fines would start at 5k for a cow and 10k for a bull. They would have to make the fines so painful that it would not be worth the risk. I have seen too many folks get a slap on the wrist for poaching deer and that is why it is so prevalent. I think the trophy fines helped, but I believe they should also loose their guns, 5 year ban on hunting first offense and if caught in vehicle, loose that as well.

07-Dec-14
I am all for it. I also agree to make the fines so steep that a poacher would be crazy to take the chance but the law would have to carry out the fines and jail time if imposed.

07-Dec-14
More CEO' s can't be hired. No money

07-Dec-14
There wouldn't be any crop damage. Someone posted they don't eat the crops grown in our state. So that wouldn't be a problem. I think if they were introduced it would be a limited draw and you would have a better chance of getting a tag in western states than one here. Jmo

07-Dec-14
No, most of us older guys on here will probably never get a tag. But they could add a lot of tourism money to a part of the state that is hurting from the coal wars. It could also infuse a lot of money into the DNR so they might not have to be so dependant on extra buck tags in order to keep operating. Maybe enough to hire more law enforcement?

We might not be able to hunt but our kids and grand kids might get to. I don't have any, and my only benefit might be seeing a wild elk in WV or hearing them bugle. That would be worth it for me.

07-Dec-14
There is more than enough money to hire more CO's. It would take legislation and, the realization that we just need to quit spending it on things that we don't need. There are sections of interstate that are being paved again after just two years. No problems with it. They just need to meet allocated funding or risk not getting it next year. So, there is funding available to more than fit the bill. We just need our legislature to see that. God Bless

07-Dec-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
I joined as a life member to show my appreciation for their financial support in helping us bring back a native state animal.

07-Dec-14
Geesh, all I got was a free knife

07-Dec-14
Yeah, but I can't gut a deer with the plaque.

10-Dec-14
Is there an age limit on who votes on the restoration or does anybody know?

10-Dec-14
The only thing Elk Reintroduction will do is make it harder to find land to hunt in the Southern Counties, bring more people from out of state to hunt, and create more and higher lease costs. Will you ever get a chance to hunt them? Yeah right.. keep on believing that lie, look at the odds of drawing a Kentucky tag, and they have a herd of thousands. Thanks

10-Dec-14
I would think any legal citizen could vote, but I don't know for sure. It's not like a political election, more of an opinion poll.

10-Dec-14
It will be the same odds as anywhere else once the herd gets big enough. Wouldn't it actually be easier to draw here in WV as a resident as opposed to drawing as a nonresident out west somewhere or in Kentucky? Kentucky will also get easier to draw as the herd gets bigger. Just have to give it time. Would be outstanding to have elk back in WV. Also, it would be cheaper to hunt them here rather then in Colorado, New Mexico etc... Also, to take a hunting trip out in Colorado for example, usually atleast a 2 week trip. For someone who works and may not be able to take that amount of time off then they could just take a week off and hunt in WV. Would be such a blessing in so many ways to have elk back in WV.

10-Dec-14
I will bet I can get a tag in Montana easier

10-Dec-14
And I will bet I can kill an elk easier out west than here. I know Call me a cynic

10-Dec-14
Yes right now you can. But 10-15 years once the population has grown will be better odds of course.

10-Dec-14
Hunting isn't about being easy. If it were easy then wouldn't be near the fun atleast to me.

11-Dec-14
I agree Strutter but I must admit I do better in areas where there is game. I have had no luck in the Walmart parking lot. I like the challenge as well but will not hunt in a low percentage area if I do not have to. I think most hunters are like that. I want to see elk to but most guys have an idea of how it will be when elk are here and it will take a long time for a huntable population. (where people have a legitimate chance at a tag). I am old so I don't have many years yet so I have to go out west. Young hunters may see a chance at a tag. Hope they do. JMO

11-Dec-14
Well if they do as well as they did in kentucky chances will be pretty good one day and I hope I'm still around and able to sink an arrow in one

11-Dec-14
I agree Bennett. It would be nice.

• Sitka Gear