Drop Tine 14-Dec-14
jjs 14-Dec-14
Zinger 14-Dec-14
Antler Whore 15-Dec-14
Zinger 15-Dec-14
South Farm 16-Dec-14
06-Dec-14

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link
This is a little out dated and it may have been on here and I missed it.

06-Dec-14
Hate to see anyone lose their job

06-Dec-14
Matthews has been caught and past. I wonder if the spike in cross guns lowered the sales of compounds?

06-Dec-14
Matthews is doing fine. They actually have a cross bow line under their Mission Bow product. I don't think you have to worry about Matt McPherson and his businesses. BC

06-Dec-14
No just the people that helped get him to where he is today.

06-Dec-14
Businesses cycle with demand. Better perfect a crossbow, if they have not already done so.

06-Dec-14
LOL... ya... xguns selling at pennies on the dollar with a scope and full set up ...catch us if you can has been caught by the xgun.... How Nice....and extremely thoughtful of our legislature... screw over a instate company for out of state and country xguns

Told you so...LMAO...

06-Dec-14
The problem with crossbows is once they are set they are pretty much done. There is very little tuning/tinkering like there is with a conventional set up. The archery shops may love the crossbow sales now, but it will hurt them long term.

06-Dec-14
Why?? You can buy a complete set up scoped package for 4 hundred bucks.. if you have issues.. buy another.. you still have saved money over a new bow set up..

Plus.. xguns don't need leagues to develop form... league shooters go thru a lot of arrows depending on the league type.. so you shops loose on arrow sales for sure as well

Just funny how the state with the biggest BOW MAN just screws them over and passes xgun legislation killing jobs... very thoughtful to sell more deer tags on the backs of your hometown company... and their employees...

06-Dec-14
Antler agreed, Patriots they are not!

06-Dec-14
RutNUT X1.Also many compound folks upgrade their bows frequently,that aint gonna happen with the crossbow bunch for the most part.

Drop Tine,you said it well.

07-Dec-14
Most xguns are made and assembled in other countries that's how you get the costs down... your selling them at 400.00 for a full scoped package ??? You can't build them state side and make a profit.on 400.00 over the counter packages....Xguns are the devil killing us on both ends

but thanx to the hunting orgs for pushing it...great call...... idiots

08-Dec-14
Mathews = Dual cams are dead, so much for that slogan.

09-Dec-14
Here's my $0.02 on this one.

In the issue of full disclosure, I shoot a Mathews Z-7 Extreme.

Some hunters re-up every year and buy the latest/greatest product from their preferred manufacturer.

I could be 100% wrong, but I believe the majority of hunters buy a new bow/package every 7-10 years. I say that, not because that's what I intend to do, but because that's what I see the majority of the people that I know that bow hunt doing.

In order for Mathews or any other bow company to maintain sales, and thus keep all of their current employees, they need two things, A) a certain % of repeat customers annually, and B) a certain % of "new" customers that switched brands or entered the sport.

To be polite about it, the economy has sucked for the last 6 years. People, (myself included) are hanging onto their $. I simply have less $$ to spend on "me" than I did 6 years ago. Cost of living for my family (food, gas, clothing, etc.) has gone up, and my wages have stayed the same. Not a complaint, happy to have a job, but less $$ for the "other" stuff, and new bow hunting gear gets pushed further down that list.

Thankful I bought a great product that will last for years to come and the fact that I don't need to rush out and buy the newest/greatest every year. Would certainly like too, but not a reality.

I believe this is what Mathews is experiencing and why sales are down.

Asked the wife to order me a shirt from them this year for Christmas and a new sticker for the truck. It's a far cry from a new bow, but happy to support a great in-state company in my own small way.

09-Dec-14
I think the lack of new innovation in the target shooting world has hurt them. go to a big 3d or field shoot and you see a lot of the specialty target bows from PSE and others. Mathews makes a hell of a bow, but i think their marketing has skewed away from the target side where the guys spend a LOT of money. The new "wheel bow" should help that out. that, and i can't imagine what they spend on marketing for their big name hunters. Heard they cut their pro-staff numbers drastically.

10-Dec-14
I bought the Mission Riot two seasons ago and love mine.

10-Dec-14
Perhaps it has something to do with their pricing. The MSRP on the new bow they released this week is 1700.00. That's for a NON carbon riser bow, not that I think the carbon riser Hoyts are worth 1500. And I buy a new bow or two every year, although I am trying to get away from that.

10-Dec-14
I shot their "no cam" the other day. It drew like butter and was dead in my hand. Is it enough to make me leave my Heli-M......no.

I shot a Reflex Xpress for 14 years before I bit the bullet and got a new bow. This bow will last me another 10 years. This new technology is interesting, but not earth shattering. People want a big jump speed that comes with better accuracy and until a company can provide that, many will stick with what they know.

10-Dec-14
"People want a big jump speed that comes with better accuracy"

Yet another reason many are going to crossbows.

11-Dec-14
Main reason folks go to a xbow is because it's easy.... shooting a bow well requires form.. to shot a xbow requires nothing.. meaning it will cost you far less money and time besides to hunt what use to be our bow season with a xbow... then it will cost you in cash up front or add one for your new bow package then it will for a scoped xbow package ..this means less coin up front.. less time to be accurate... and a scope to see better after hours...

Gee.. why would folks even consider a new bow in WI?? Dead is dead... right?? LOL.. xbow idiots..

11-Dec-14
I know, right?

11-Dec-14
AW still thinking crossbows are only used by poachers I see. Have you seen the scopes that come on crossbows? They're garbage. Seriously if you want a scope to shoot after hours it will require a lot more than a $50 POS with 4 stupid horizontal crosshairs in it. Heck if I wanted to poach with one I would mount a thermal scope on it and be done.

How many vertical bow hunters hunt after hours? I bet a lot do, I'll be honest and say that I generally hunt till I can't see good enough to shoot anymore. Some nights that's before the end of legal time and sometimes it's a couple minutes after. I'm not siting in my stand an hour after season but I think we all stretch it a little every once in a while. And if the guy is a poacher he's a poacher with whatever he has in his hand.

And again you make it sound like shooting a vertical bow is some kind of rocket science. I haven't shot my bow since the begining of October and I could go out right now and I bet I could put 10 out of 10 in the 5 ring at 20yds. I bet 7 or 8 would actually be in the X ring. Tell me it takes a great amount of practice to shoot a bow?

12-Dec-14
With a Xgun you would be doing the same at 60 yds.

12-Dec-14
RJN, Maybe but not without some serious effort to get the crossbow to shoot that well. I played with a top of the line TenPoint this past summer and while I never shot it at 60yds at 40yds groups were not all within the 5 ring. Plus this was from a rested position, when shooting off hand I could shoot WAY better with my vertical bow.

12-Dec-14
Zinger please... I can give you phone numbers of 10 guys that killed deer this year with them and 7 of them never archery hunted. Why I asked? Cause its easier they said and like hunting with a rifle. Make it 11 cause I know a 16 year old girl who shot a bear with one this year. I can give you her dads number if you like.

12-Dec-14
Dad had to switch to one mid season this year. Couldn't draw back his bow (Z7) after sitting in cold weather for a couple hours. He didn't want to switch but wants to keep hunting.

I was up for an afternoon hunt and he pulled it out to practice. He said here take a shot. I cocked it, loaded a bolt and free hand shot at 20 yards. Drilled the dot in the target. So I asked him what distance he has practiced at, "50" and can get a group the size of a pop can lid but I am keeping the range to 30 and under.

He would rather use a vertical bow but cannot hunt with one anymore. I have no issues with it. I am thinking about getting one to use during the rifle season just for giggles.

12-Dec-14
Compounds are on their way out and will be minimized, just like the stickbow. Not dead, but declining the same as bowhunting in general.

12-Dec-14
Lama, I drop the poundage in my bow for late season just for that reason. Today's compounds at 50lbs are as fast as those that are 7+ years old and set at 70lbs. (Approximately) my Destroyer 350 is plenty fast enough at 55lbs.

But if it keeps him in the woods, who am I to talk.

12-Dec-14
..I agree Sawtooth.... hopefully other states dont cave to this BS ...then bowhunters still have a place to bowhunt...Thanx WI... great call...

12-Dec-14
Lama- I don't think anyone would have an issue with your dad using a crossgun if he physically cannot pull back his bow. We will all be faced with that someday. It's the group that thinks they need them because it's something 'different'.

12-Dec-14
I'm still shooting and killing with my 1998 Mathews MQ1. Yes there have been some improvements but not enough to make me buy something new. In my case, the bow is too good and therefore I have no reason to buy a new one. In fact I like my MQ1 so much that about 8 years ago I bought a second one off of Ebay for a backup.

I shoot it at 74lbs year round and it shoots a 425 grain arrow about 275 fps.

Drop Tine, will "Today's compounds" set at 55lbs shoot a 425 grain arrow 275 fps?

12-Dec-14
He is pulling 50lbs when it is warm but temps in the teens to single digits is a no go anymore. For his age just glad he is still out there.

I brought it up because of the post about accuracy with them. His is lights out (Mathews) and very light to carry or shoot. With very little practice 50 yards was nothing to him at the beginning.

12-Dec-14
Zinger, the way you talk you should be cleaning house as a pro shooter. After all there is nothing to it, and remember there is no such thing as target panic.

12-Dec-14
"Drop Tine, will "Today's compounds" set at 55lbs shoot a 425 grain arrow 275 fps?'

No, but it will take much less poundage to reach it than 74lbs.

example: I used to shoot a Parker with moderate aggressive cams at 75 lbs. It was very efficient, very good kinetic energy and top speed was 287

I currently shoot a Destroyer 350 with the exact same arrow set up at 65 lbs. better efficiency, kinetic energy and at 302.

The Parker was smoother in draw but the hand shock and back wall sucked.

As for my Destroyer..... I'm lucky to get to shoot almost all new bows on the market and still haven't found something to pursued me to change from my Destroyer.

Everyone has different preferences in a bow but there is a considerable difference in a 15 year old bow to todays.

12-Dec-14
Antler Whore you are an agenda driven madman. We all getyou are very opinionated, but it's hard to take you serious on anything. Give it a rest once and try to stay on topic once in a while. You remind me of the crazy people on subways blathering away about nothing.

12-Dec-14
If I lived in the north I would be a blathering madman.

12-Dec-14
Geitz,

I haven't priced a new top of the line bow recently but I've heard figures like $1500 and $1700 being mentioned. Back in '98 when I bought my Mathews MQ1 it was top of the line and retailed for either $600 or $650, I don't remember which, but my buddy who owned the shop gave me $50 off.

That bow has level nock travel, no hand shock, is light and quiet and performs well. I can shoot 4" groups at 60 yards with fixed blade broadheads.

The MQ1 is the bow that all the other manufacturers copied back when the perimeter weighted solocam became the rage.

My point is, for $1700 for a new bow how much draw weight would I be able to drop to maintain my current performance with my current weight arrow?

I can't see spending $1500 - $1700 for a new bow (not to mention the cost of new accessories) to drop 10 pounds in draw weight. Drawing 74 pounds is no issue for me and I can literally shoot for hours with very little fatigue. I used to hunt and shoot leagues (including indoor 5-spot) with an 85 pound draw weight bow. Yes it was unnecessary and probably stupid, but it was my hunting set up and I didn't want to change it for indoor league and it was fun shooting next to those guys with the 50 pound target bows. I also messed around with that bow and was able to crank it up to a 97 pound draw weight but only shot it a few times that way.

A couple years ago I was hunting with a buddy who had a new Z-7 or Helium (I don't remember which because he had both) and he was giving me crap about my old bow. I shot a buck from a treestand and made a pass through on a very close shot. I couldn't find my arrow but we tracked and found the buck. I went back to the shot location and found the arrow buried in the ground up to the fletching but obscured by some leaves; it was soft sandy creek bottom. I told my buddy that its a good thing I didn't have a new bow because the arrow might have buried 6 inches deeper in the ground and I would have lost it. The point is, how far through the animal do you have to shoot?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about technology and at my job I'm responsible for spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to stay on the cutting edge. I just have a hard time justifying the cost of a new bow just to get some parallel limbs and drop a few pounds of draw weight especially when I have a lot of other expensive hobbies to finance...

12-Dec-14
I have a Mathews Outback , in the last 10 years I have lowered the poundage from 70 to 60 to 50lbs with string adjustments and replacing 1 set of limbs . When I need to lower it to 40 lbs I will .

I have 2 grandkids shooting Diamond Edge bows set at 35 and 40 lbs . Those bows will blow holes in Deer out to 30 yards . 75 % of those claiming they physically can' t hunt with a compound are ....well never mind . ;-]

As far as prices go my Outback with all the trimings was about $ 1400 in 2005 . Buy the best you can buy , that dream buck will only walk by about twice in your lifetime . You only live once . Twice I was with hunters in camps that had their bows fail . Once in Alberta and once in Ill .

12-Dec-14
Cheese,

If your happy what you shoot, don't change. I don't know how many bows are in the 1500-1700 range, except a few target and the Hoyt Carbon. Most are 1k or less.

I was getting at the performance question you asked droptine. I've tested bows at the broadhead shoot for the last three years.....people would be amazed at what bow tested really well and some that stunk. It is also amazing how many people bows are set up very poorly, dangerously and obviously for speed. There is no reason a person needs to turn red in the face attempting to pull back a bow.

Although I can pull back a 70+ lb bow, I might just go to a 60 lb limb on my next bow.

12-Dec-14
RytNut, I won't lie, I'm a pretty good shooter. And I did try the pro thing (actually semi-pro) but there is a big difference between being real good and being winning at the pro level good. I was never good enough to go to the winning at pro level. Some of the guys I shot with were just machines. I shot with Ulmer onetime and he was amazing to watch!

As far as draw weight goes I used to hunt 75-80lbs all the time, one year I hunted at 93lbs. At 80lbs I was getting just over 300fps with a 400 grain arrow. Now I'm shooting 60lbs and about a 350grain arrow at around 325fps. I can't remember the past time I had an arrow stop in a deer. My next bow will be 50lbs. So I would say that a bow set at 55lbs shooting a 425 grain arrow would be around 275fps, maybe even a little more. This is with speed bows, not long ATA bows with "easy drawing" cams.

I agree with Ruger that most people who are shooting a crossbow could be shooting a compound with some thought and lighter poundage but I don't care because even with all the talk about long range the guys shooting crossbows aren't really shooting any further than a compound guy is. There are exceptions to everything but in general I bet the shot distance is about the same. I just watched a guy on TV take a 120yd shot at a Desert Bighorn so guys will try long shots with compounds also.

14-Dec-14
All that talk about guys and xbows and they are not shooting any farther than compound guys are..LOL.. And the study that shows this is??

Distance of shots using a rifle are not any farther then compound guys either...!! LOL Ya... OK.... and that scope on rifles and xbows does not allow easier shooting before and after hours....that's why we here gun shots a half hour before daylight opening morning every year... without a scope that can't happen.... Compounds have no scope..

big differences

14-Dec-14
The hunting bows I have had in my lifetime. Bear Kodiak (still have) Bear Polar LTD, Martin Cougar Magnum, PSE Fire Flight, and Bowtech Destroyer 350. My personal feelings are that technology of new bows does not change enough to to warrent buying new every year or two. I'm 55 so you can see how often I switch and they get shot a lot. From 5 spot to 3D to hunting. (Hunting they don't get shot enough)

14-Dec-14
AW x1; Wi. can change the law to no scopes including on ML and just leave it for the deer gun season. If you want to go further just get rid of the release and equalize the bow hunt; that would be too good to be true.

14-Dec-14
AW and a study that shows they do shoot further is where?

Compounds can have scopes, I played with a Leupold 2x pistol scope on a compound years ago and didn't like it, just like I don't like a scope on a crossbow. Even a 3X scope is to much for 5-10yds. Plus the scopes that come on crossbows are junk when it comes to light transmission.

Heck I've heard shots an hour before the season opens but what does that prove? There were seasons that due to snow and the moon I could have shot with open sights all night long. Then add in deer shilouted in a corn pile and it doesn't require a scope to shoot early or late. More times than not I could shoot before or after shooting hours with my compound and a pin, heck today's fiber optic pins stay bright all night if there's a decent moon.

You make it sound like just because someone uses a scope or a crossbow they are going to be violators because of their weapon choice. I legally own a couple silencers as well as night and thermal imaging optics yet I've never gone out before or after hunting hours to shoot a deer, I guess I must just be more honest than the rest of the hunters.

jjs, then let's get rid of blinds for bowhunting also because they take away the issue with being spotted drawing the bow which many people on here believe is such a huge benefit to a crossbow.

15-Dec-14
Only scope made or ever seen on a bow is on the range... I have one.. it's for seeing rings...it offers nothing for fathering light ...

Never saw a guy rig up a rifle scope on a bow... however every xgun has one... but they don't help you so they just throw one in???

Zinger.. are you hitting the sauce? .. I have shot all over the place over the years and never one time saw a rifle scope on a bow...yet all xguns co.e equipped with one... why is this if it doesn't help sell them?? Please enlighten us.

LOL

15-Dec-14
No I've never seen a rifle scope on a compound either, I have seen a couple pistol scopes and even tried one myself, I didn't like it and I'm guessing most other people didn't either because I haven't seen on on a bow in a long time.

Not all crossbows come with scopes but I will give you most do and IMO it's because people think a scope is always better but I don't feel it is at archery ranges. I'm sure it helps sell them just like fancy paint jobs sell bows but if I were to be serious about hunting with a crossbow I would put a red dot or an EoTech on it which really isn't anything more than what a fiber optic sight on a bow is. I've yet to see anyone put a really good scope on a crossbow that really transmits light to allow real shooting after dark. If a guy is a violator he's probably not the guy who's going to dump $1000+ on a scope.

I saw a guy try to shoot a bighorn at 120yds with a compound on TV the other night and he didn't have a scope on it but still let it fly so don't tell me just because a guy has a scope on his crossbow means that he will do things illegal or unethical, there's plenty of those guys in all disaplines of shooting and hunting.

16-Dec-14
Matthews has always been pretty stringent on who they let be a dealer for their products. I know some areas of the state a guy can travel quite a ways just to test-shoot one of their bows. I wonder if it was easier to buy a Matthews (say at Walmart or Cabelas, wherever) that would help in not having to layoff workers, or at least less workers?

On a side note, I know the dealer closest to where I live it is almost impossible to catch him on a day where he is willing to show you a bow or give you some range time to shoot one. Maybe my timing is always off, but inevitably he has either a photo shoot for a sponsor going on, or he has guys coming in for league and the range is "unavailable"...even though there's hardly a soul there at the time. Seems his foodplot/landscaping business is more important and selling bows for Matthews is secondary..

• Sitka Gear