Big-Otis-Jeff 07-Dec-14
Babysaph 07-Dec-14
J Myers 08-Dec-14
Publichunter 08-Dec-14
JDW 08-Dec-14
gobbler 08-Dec-14
Babysaph 08-Dec-14
06-Dec-14
I wonder if our shrinking deer herd and the way our state is choosing to manage it has anything to do with pressure from Insurance Companies and the high percentage of vehicle and deer collision clams West Virginia has?? Or do I really just hate Insurance Companies

06-Dec-14
Anybody naive enough to believe the deer herd is shrinking in these parts surely hasn't driven any where in Southern WV lately. Not sure if you live in Southern WV or not. I'll assume NO since you are asking this.

07-Dec-14
Naïve? thanks but that is all the threads have been about lately how no one is seeing deer and we are shooting to many does and two many bucks and so on and so on. I was simply giving everyone something else besides the DNR ( which I think does a great job) to blame! Are you an Insurance salesmen or something WV Mountaineer? I was just saying I think there's a link to the large amount of doe tags and the collision claims JS.I was Raised in western part of Raleigh county when I was 7 my dad killed one of the first deer on the holler anyone can remember. I watched the deer herd get bigger and bigger from there and now, just last year I seen 15 deer in one group. So idk what anyone is talking about when it comes to deer herds shrinking, but I only hunt the southern part of the state and maybe, just maybe the northern part of the state where the deer herd has always been large( as opposed to rebounding) maybe it is shrinking. So Idk who the more Naïve person is

07-Dec-14
Lol. They dictate the deer kill.

07-Dec-14
Publichunter, why take it so personal? We are on a computer. Emotions are just black and white print. Read what I said in the first post. And, to just be blunt, the Northern part of the state is in no danger of major decrease in deer numbers either. It has MORE timber activity than the southern part. Interestingly enough, the one area of the state that has a declining timber industry is the western part. Wanna guess where most of the dnr blaming on here is coming from?

Insurance companies do not DICTATE anything. Complaining residents do. The insurance company just raises rates.

I'm a forester. Not an insurance salesman.

07-Dec-14
Our deer herd is shrinking in Mason and Jackson county. Can't speak for rest of state. Ii think the insurance companies do put pressure on everyone by raising the rates.

07-Dec-14
Insurance companies do have a lot to do with the deer herd. They have big money.

07-Dec-14
In fact you better have good evidence that you hit a deer. To get paid. They are paying do many claims that they do not just take your word for it. One of my employees hit a deer several weeks ago and the state trooper ran a check on her to "make sure she wasn't a repeat offender and hit s deer with her care all the time". What if she hits one everday? You think she wants to? Another patient of mine hit one and tore her SUV up. The insurance adjuster said she was lucky that there was evidence (hair) on her car so she could make a claim. Insurance companies now are not just paying deer claims. They are getting strict. So I would say they dictate a lot.,

07-Dec-14
Our current director used to work for State Farm if that says anything. Part of the decrease in deer herd is from the deer wars several years ago when the farm bureau lobbied the Legislature and the DNR was basically given an ultimatum to decrease the deer herd or they would.

It needed to be done in a lot of areas, 80-100 deer per square mile isn't good for people, deer, or the habitat.

07-Dec-14
JR, the insurance companies money, is our premiums. There is a direct correlation. And Gobbler is correct, too many is just too many. I doubt the dnr caved to anyone's demand. I'd say they did what they did because it was necessary for herd health. One thing is evident about our dnr, It does not cave to popular demand or the wishes of outside entity's. God Bless

07-Dec-14
Well gobbler just said the DNR was given an ultimatum to decrease the deer herd.,that sounds like caving to me.

07-Dec-14
By who? The legislature or the insurance companies? Legislative officials answer to voters. Voters who live with the damage higher than healthy deer herds cause. God Bless

07-Dec-14
It use to be that way WV Mountaineer.......now money talks and who cares what the people want....

Even if you vote someone else in , they will turn to the power of money as well...

07-Dec-14
By who? He said the farm bureau I believe.

08-Dec-14
As I said on the APR or point thread. I do know a guy who owns his own insurance company and is an avid bow hunter and turkey hunter. He said that insurance companies want as many deer killed as possible and they do put pressure where they need to. Money does talk.

08-Dec-14
Did I mention I really hate Insurance Companies, I think it is the most crooked legal way to rob people blind.... lol know I hate them more that I see people agree about the deer herd thing

08-Dec-14
Why is it Nationwide offers a discount if you join the farm bureau?!?!?!?!?!!!!

08-Dec-14
I know, I've been paying on life insurance for years and haven't been able to file a claim yet!! It really makes me mad.

08-Dec-14
What is the farm bureau? What does that have to do with insurance? Does the farm burea have anything to do with farming?

• Sitka Gear