Toonces 10-Dec-14
bigbuckbob 10-Dec-14
jax2009r 11-Dec-14
Dr. Deer 11-Dec-14
Wild Bill 11-Dec-14
Cranial Vault 12-Dec-14
bigbuckbob 12-Dec-14
08-Dec-14
I was speaking with my Deer Butcher yesterday ..

he works very closely with the Deer biologists with the deer that are brought in since they did away with the check stations.....he saves them heads from different areas and they test them for CWD Etc

They were telling him that there is a lack of 2.5 year old deer in the state due to winters....not from winter kill but from a lack of birthing due to winter...

either the DOES gave birth to just one or no birth at all due to the winter conditions that last few years/in that time frame.....

this is in all areas but zone 11 and 12....

interesting

08-Dec-14
maybe all the 1 1/2 year olds are being killed ?? along with .5 year olds ?

08-Dec-14
Fully agree. I have posted numerous times that we lost a whole age class of deer 3-5 year olds over the last 4-5 winters. The does were stressed from the harsh conditions and didn't give birth, fawns died etc.

Now, there are still some older deer out there...but talk to me about areas that were consistently torn up with rubs and scrapes....and now - nothing. It's sad seeing old rubs from years ago in areas that were always a Mecca for bucks.

Talk to any butcher or taxidermist and they will tell you they are way down in older bucks and just deer in general.

08-Dec-14
I don't buy the lack of birthing BS I think it is 100% us as hunters doing this. I have seen the start of it as soon as baiting was implimented in the state, I know baiting is only supposed to be zones 11 & 12 but we all know how that goes. Bucks in the .5 - 2.5 age class that would normally live without the bait piles are being killed over them. The state needs to do away with replacement tags, baiting, and the ridiculous number of buck tags!

08-Dec-14
Baiting is also only supposed to be on private land... but you know how that goes too. Not really surprised that in this state full of 'special' people that there are some who are 'special hunters' and don't have to follow the rules.

08-Dec-14
this was in areas besides zone 11 and 12....

08-Dec-14
Werent the winters mild in the last 3 years? Im not sure doing the online checking is a good thing. In MA we just started it and I cut my deer up in the backyard and thought how easy it would be to just print out another antlerless tag and go back out. Im honest and care about the herd for the future so I checked mine online. I can only imagine how many people dont. I think both our states need a rewrite. In our low pop areas we are allowed two bucks and only a certain percent draw a doe tag. Whats the point of a ton of does with not enough bucks to breed them all? Ct has same bag limit in all zones except 11 and 12. How does that make sense?

08-Dec-14
Low deer numbers are from bad winters , cars , poaching, and bad mangement from DEEP .

08-Dec-14
Last winter was tough? I thought it was pretty mild, not very much snow. The two Winter's prior to that were tough, but last Winter wasn't, was it?

08-Dec-14
don't forget lack of acorns

08-Dec-14
I think the winters of 3 and 2 years ago were very bad and that's what killed off the young deer that couldn't manage the deep snows and lack of accessable food we had in CT. I'm not sure if the deep snow effected the birth rates as well, but I guess it may have an impact.

I also think it's due to lower acorn crops, increased tags, baiting, poaching, cars, coyotes, bobcats and hunters. All of these being equal, the weather was the controlling factor.

08-Dec-14
I recall a few years where you couldnt even ice fish the whole winter it was so warm out.

08-Dec-14
Do you remember if we had an increase in the deer herd the next year or two?

08-Dec-14
It would be very easy for the DEEP to come up with a method to serialize the tags printed online.. You would have to enter your conservation ID and that would generate the serial numbers, store them and then print them out, You would then need to enter the Serial number when you check your deer in online.. However, I don't think the state has any interest in undertaking something like this. Beyond Ethics, there is nothing preventing someone from just printing tags, butchering their own deer and never recording it.

08-Dec-14
Garbanzo,

How would serializing the tags prevent someone from killing a deer and not recording it? Couldn't you just make multiple copies of the same tag and not call in the deer?

The current tagging system is pretty silly. When it first came out I assumed the State wanted to encourage poaching as a means to kill more deer without having to change bag limits. Really no other explanation makes sense.

You can kill so many deer legally though, it's hard to imagine why anyone would want to circumvent system.

08-Dec-14
Gotta love the iinternet

Non birthing winter kill turns into a tagging system issue

08-Dec-14
"lack of birthing due to winter..."

Deer breed in the late fall and give birth in the early summer. So how does winter affect the "birthing". How do deer in Canada or Maine do it.

And, did I read your post right, zones 11 and 12 excepted?

Were these real deer biologists or some volunteers?

08-Dec-14
Wild Bill you are some type of smart.

The harsh winters...heavier than normal snowfall (coupled with snowpack and icing), late snowfall and a lack of good acorn crop have all contributed to undue stress on deer. When they are stressed like this it has been documented that deer will abort their offspring/have smaller than avg. offspring/or only one fawn. Now add in predation on fawns.

Low fawn recruitment numbers lead to lower than avg. amount of a certain age class of deer.

Kind of like the average age hunters increases each year because we have fewer youths joining the sport.

08-Dec-14
Bloodtrail,

When winter kills, thats winterkill, period.

"Low fawn recruitment numbers" I think you mean replenishment.

I just don't see the distinction the so-called biologists say exists. Remember, they said it wasn't winterkill, which you so accurately described, except for the predation, which is not winter only.

And, why are zones 11 and 12 exempt?

08-Dec-14
I don't see very many young ones at the beginning of the season before there killed so something has to be doing it yots winters ??

08-Dec-14
Again I like your passion. Fawn recruitment is the correct term. It is the number of fawns per adult doe (1.5 years and older) alive in the fall pre-hunt population.

Winterkill is to kill by exposure to winter conditions OR to die as a result of exposure to winter conditions. It's arbitrary and could include both young and old deer.

I think Steve hit the nail on the head in his post above about people killing .5 and 1.5 year old deer. Since there isn't a diverse age structure in the herd in most places...any deer seemed like a good deer in the last 2-4 years and young deer are easier to kill than old deer....and now you have a perfect scenario where (as HH stated) hunters are killing deer at the same rate (or even better now) and their aren't deer to backfill the original population. And like magic, we have a smaller herd.

My only guess on zones 11-12 having more mature deer is that these areas had more food available since snow could have been a non factor in their lifecycle. But you still have unlimited tags in these area and the population is shrinking everywhere. The road kill report is obvious of that when you see the roadkills at 1/3 what they used to be just 5-6 years ago.

08-Dec-14
Yes wild bill real biologists that work for the state of CT

Pretty simple the does aborted or only gave birth to one fawn instrad of twins

They explained they did not see it in zone 11 and 12 ...maybe less snow slighter warmer on water but that is my guess

08-Dec-14
They called it winterkill due to birthing/ nonbirthing

08-Dec-14
Wildbill let me guess you stayed at a holiday in last night

Deer in Maine head to winter yard ....ct has none

08-Dec-14
The area i hunted in canada had a 50 percent winter kill last year

08-Dec-14
The lack of birthing makes sense.

I keep trail cams out year-round. I've noticed the last 2-3 years, many does on camera not pregnant? I also haven't seen many fawns during the same period.

I primarily hunt zone 12 and am fortunate to have access to a lot of private land where I'm the only legal hunter. Deer have been so scarce, I won't shoot a doe and haven't for 2 years! I don't buy zone 12 isn't affected either ...

09-Dec-14
To the original post,

That's certainly a valid idea but only speculation. You would have to implement a tremendous data study to differentiate the cause in the reduced age class between hunting/management or environmental conditions. The DEEP certainly doesn't make any definitive statements without lots of data to back it up. That's why it is such as lengthy process to see any change in regulations.

If you think about it, periodical harsh winters have been occurring for thousands of years. It's part of the process that keep all animal populations in check. As cruel as it may sound. Deer populations, like all other living beings, fluctuate in cycles. We can't have high deer densities (optimal for hunters) year after year. Your going to experience some "good" years and a stretch of "bad" years.

09-Dec-14
Bigwoods

by any chance do you work for the DEEP? Nothing implied just seems like there's some insider knowledge.

09-Dec-14
Bob,

No, just a biology student.

10-Dec-14
Ah, I knew you were more than just an bowhunter.

One word of caution for a young person, DON'T believe everything your government tells you. WIth the government you need to follow the money to determine why they're doing something.

If you've been on the site for any length of time you'd know that there are plenty of arguments against deer harvest reports, tagging practices, deer surveys, deer population estimates, increases, decreases, using White Buffalo, etc, etc, etc from our DEEP folk.

As a student you are learning how to learn, so don't accept one set of "facts" as the only set of "facts". Always do your own research and get all sides of the argument, and good luck.

10-Dec-14

VanInVTown's Link
It appears that it's not just here that the numbers are down...see the link.

10-Dec-14
The article made me wonder,.... are we becoming too good at killing deer?

Modern bows, better arrows, better broadheads, game calls, rattling, decoys, baiting (where allowed), better scents, better scent free clothes, better camo patterns, GPS to find hidden spots, better science to understand the rut and deer movements, topo maps, etc. Even social media allows us to share info about where to hunt and what is happening.

Years ago many of these things weren't available. It may have nothing to do with it, but the article made me wonder????

10-Dec-14
I guess I am confused.

Many, including myself think hunters should exercise more restraint to lower kill numbers.

If that is the case the article should be seen as good news. The article shows hunters are killing less deer. Isn't that what we have been preaching?

Wouldn't it be bad news if the article said harvest numbers were up?

10-Dec-14
I guess I am confused.

Many, including myself think hunters should exercise more restraint to lower kill numbers.

If that is the case the article should be seen as good news. The article shows hunters are killing less deer. Isn't that what we have been preaching?

Wouldn't it be bad news if the article said harvest numbers were up?

Its a little schizophrenic. We want less deer killed but when less deer are being killed we see it as a bad sign.

10-Dec-14
Less deer harvested means either less deer, less hunters or less tags being given out or more slobs not checking in deer. I guess if we want more deer we have to go down south. My buddy is down in NC on a rifle meat hunt and has 6 tags, hes already bagged 4 in 2.5 days. When I lived in VA we got 6 tags plus Dmap tags had long seasons, could use dogs and everyone hunted. The deer were easily shot every year in fact too easy in my opinion. No matter how many were killed their would be more and more each year why? Mild winters, crops to eat everywhere, and thick woods to have fawns in. We lack all those here.

10-Dec-14
Spike, if that is the case than deer harvest numbers really mean nothing and should be ignored.

If there are less deer harvested its a bad sign of less deer or we should assume people are cheating the system.

If there are more deer harvested it's bad result because we are greedy and killing too many deer.

As it stands now most alarmist interpret these reports as we are killing less deer so that means we need to kill less deer. It's not logical.

10-Dec-14
Toonces

I think the others have made the point that those of us on this site represent a very small percentage of the hunting public, so if we decide to shoot less deer it has little to no impact on the herd population. MOST hunters will shoot anything that passes within range. IF that's the case, then lower kills means less opportunities, which could mean less deer available.

I would love to think that the general hunting population has decided to join in the fight to increase the herd by reducing the harvest, but even Santa can't deliver that wish.

11-Dec-14
So the herd needs to be increased becuase hunters dont see deer every sit...

11-Dec-14
If you torture statistics long enough, they will admit to anything. If harvest numbers are down, what does that mean? No one can kill a deer or people are not killing as many (passing more often)? IMO nothing is different in 11. I still see mostly does and yearling bucks. I haven't even seen a shooter this season. Although, my hunting is limited to about 2 days a month, I was there every month. Killed a few doe for meat, one small buck for meat. I could probably use one more deer, as I failed to get an elk this season. My Thanksgiving trip I passed on about 10 deer, only one was a small buck. In summary, not shortage of young bucks down here, way more doe than buck as usual.

11-Dec-14
"are we becoming too good at killing deer?"

BBB, At one deer per 16yrs, you don't qualify to be in the "we" category.

12-Dec-14
Agreed with Dr. Deer pertaining specifically to Zone 11. I've seen all does and juvenile bucks this year. Never saw a shooter buck during more time spent in the woods this year than ever before. It really is a shame. In regards to does though in my experiece this uear...EVERY doe which had fawns present had TWO...BUT this isn't saying every doe had fawns at all either. Were the does bred? Did the fawns die or otherwise for the does observed without? Who knows... My particular theory is the age class for breeding bucks is down and just can't fill the receptive does order in the woods. With last year being a mild winter...the does which had been breed did birth two healthy fawns in tow. For the does without fawns I'll stand to say they either weren't bred or predation got the better of them. Again my opinion FWIW.

12-Dec-14
Wild Bill,

in those 16 years I had shot opportunities to kill lots of deer, but I let them walk. Last year alone I had 5 perfect broad side targets, 3 bucks and 2 does that got a pass. Like I've said all along, I only take mature bucks.

And just so it's clear, I'm glad I'm not in the we, you know, the group that says, if it's brown it's down. Way too easy, shoot at paper targets if all you're into is letting arrows fly.

• Sitka Gear