Sitka Gear
What is up with Canton WMA?
Oklahoma
Contributors to this thread:
Stevieray36 08-Dec-14
MAGICMAN 13-Dec-14
Stevieray36 18-Dec-14
08-Dec-14
I have hunted Canton WMA on the south side of the river and west of the lake for the last 12 years. The last two or three years my deer sightings have continued to decrease. The coyote and pig population seems to have flourished.

The state used to cut brush hog trails all over the WMA. This made the access to hunt easier and the deer used the trails as travel corridors. They used to plant green fields that brought the deer in. They used to have a draw hunt for muzzleloader.

The river drying up for most of the year has not helped either. In has water now but it just showed up about a month ago.

It is really a sad example of our license and tag dollars not being used to better the hunting. Who is getting the funding or is this the same situation at other public hunting areas.

13-Dec-14
Lots of big deer used to come from there. I moved away 10 yes ago so I don't know how it is now

18-Dec-14
I got in touch with Thad Potts the biologist for Canton. He stated that "In the three counties surrounding Canton WMA (Blaine, Major, and Dewey), deer harvest has declined 40% from 2010 until 2013." He blaims it on the severe drought conditions.

He also indicated they have limited time and funds and do what they can.

I offered to come and cut trails myself but was told due to rules and regulations I could not. So is the NWTF allowed to go onto state land and perform conservation type activities?

• Sitka Gear