Naz 10-Dec-14
NWO 11-Dec-14
NWO 11-Dec-14
NWO 11-Dec-14
Naz 11-Dec-14
Antler Whore 11-Dec-14
Bloodtrail 11-Dec-14
10-Dec-14
I thought it would be a good topic to compare notes on the severity of the winter across the state.

I live in Chippewa county, Bloomer to be exact. We have minimal snow cover. Despite some sub zero weather in November, I think the last week and a half has been beneficial to the deer and turkeys.

Pierce county where our hunting land is. Pretty much the same, even less snow as of yesterday when I was there.

10-Dec-14
This will help a lot. All those bucks that were run down from the rut will be able to regain some fat reserve back without trouble. This is a pretty critical time of year for them.

10-Dec-14
Waupaca- 5 inches of snow, 10 day forecast of super mild temps/ still alot of standing corn to fatten deer.

10-Dec-14
Northern Bayfield County, The early snow storms pressed the panic button for the deer. Right now you wont find any snow over 10 to 12 inches anywhere, this warm up coming will lower the totals even further. This is great for the deer, if they can make it through Dec stress free, deer will go into Winter in great shape.

10-Dec-14
Right now, very mild in Ozaukee County

10-Dec-14
Eastern Pierce...ground just covered. PERFECT weather to cut and burn buckthorn, honeysuckle, wild plum and prickly ash. Been at it for weeks and it is good.

10-Dec-14
Burnett County, less than 6" of snow and weekend forecast warm-up, but taking its sweet-a** time getting here! A month ago it wasn't looking good with the cold and snow, but if we can get this weekend warm-up, then a January thaw, and manage to scrape out the remainder of the winter as just being "normal" the critters shouldn't have it too bad...and we could all use a break. Let's hope!

10-Dec-14
We've read about all the great food from logging operations up north, and all the baiting and feeding, so they should be in great shape. Also, with so few mouths to feed up there, more food per deer. All good news. Yet from others we hear about vast tracts of old growth forest with little eat. Once again, it's all relative to a person's tiny corner of the deer world. Even those in Crividelafield.

10-Dec-14
" Even those in Crividelafield. " I thought it was Delavitz?

10-Dec-14
"" Even those in Crividelafield. " I thought it was Delavitz? "

Actually Portagefielditz...

10-Dec-14
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope we get a few snowfalls next month. It makes coyote hunting easier. Also for someone like me who's primary winter income is plowing snow, this weather sucks. But I'll take it year after year.

10-Dec-14
If we can get to Jan. 1st with minimal or no snow cover, all the better for this herd. They deserve a break after the last 2 years.

10-Dec-14
About 2 inches on north side and none on the south. Highs near 50 this weekend. Lax county

10-Dec-14
Southern Door = wet, wet, wet.

Either standing water or skating rinks. Mud or frozen. Ponds are overflowing and the creek is running.

Plenty corn still standing. Farmer next door finally took his off last weekend.

10-Dec-14
Southern MI. So far some very cold days but very little snow. Temps making big swings. Keeping fingers crossed the winter will stay like this and not be as predicted

10-Dec-14
Iowa city is fine and actually what we have so far has no Bering on what effect the winter might have. Check back in4 months. In s and sw wi the last 2 years the spring had more of an effect on horns and fawns than the winter. Anybody else have that impression?

10-Dec-14
Two years ago I'd say yes for sure glunker. The WSI averaged "mild to low moderate" yet spring was so late in coming, deer were plenty stressed and more than 20 found dead in farm country in Door County. If it happened here, it happened all over. Last year, I'd say the winter hurt plenty. Spring was late in coming again, but not as bad as '13. Hard to imagine how big some of the antlers would have been this year on the older monsters that were taken across the state.

11-Dec-14
Naz, "Hard to imagine how big some of the antlers would have been" interesting question. The nice buck that I posted on another thread that was shot during this Muzzleloader season was captured on trail camera in 2013 before the big snows hit and was captured again on trail camera this year. His antler growth never changed, he looks exactly the same as he did in 2013, could it have been from the severe Winter or maybe his age.

The first picture is the deer in question, the date is correct but the year was set wrong, it should say 2013. This year on 11/7/2014 there was snow on the ground, no snow in the picture. The second picture 2014 was just days before he was shot. No change in antler growth.

11-Dec-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo

11-Dec-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo

11-Dec-14
Biologists doing the aging see a decrease in antler development on yearlings, esp. following a hard winter, but individual adult bucks? Hard to say. Some may even be taking advantage of year-round feeding. Those that aren't I'd certainly expect to see a drop in "potential" after a hard winter, but that's speculation.

11-Dec-14
Cold... Snowy.... and no deer....

11-Dec-14
Cold...geting warmer and plenty of deer to hunt!

• Sitka Gear