How to Get Started
Hawaii
Contributors to this thread:
dlewis1498 10-Dec-14
808bowhunter 24-Dec-14
Brian Howell 30-Dec-14
Wild Bill 20-Jan-15
10-Dec-14
It seems like everyone who knows much about hunting was taught by their dad/grandpa/uncle/etc. Sadly, all those guys for me were farmers whose hunting experience stopped at shooting the occasional raccoon that got in the garbage. I'd like to start bow hunting here on the Big Island, but I honestly don't have the faintest idea of where to start. I would really love to have more local, free range meat, and it can't get any more free range than having to go get it yourself.

I have a bow that I target shoot with in the yard. ...what do I do next? And is there a site where I can look at all the legal information in regards to hunting on the island?

24-Dec-14
go get your hunter education, hunting license, and start looking at the regulations to find hunting units and just go. It will all come over time if you just start going for it.

30-Dec-14
Get the book Bowhunter's Digest by Chuck Adams, any edition. Chuck is not only a world renown bowhunter, but he is a world class writer as well. His articles, columns, and books are always a great read.

My advice is to tune your bow to your broadheads. Usually, hunting arrowheads and target tips do not shoot the same, nor do they hit the same spot. Sacrifice some sharp blades by shooting at a cottage cheese container in fine sand (the sand will dull the blades but won't damage the broadhead). One target per arrow so you don't ruin your arrows. Have proper WOOL hunting clothing and bring PLENTY of water.

Inquire with D'Armand Cook of C & S Hunting Supplies located in Kamuela.

20-Jan-15
dlewis1498,

The Bowhunters Digest is available on ebay at a very reasonable price. The book is dated, however, basic bow tuning information is there and spot on. Also, Chuck gets into animal behavior, which is what you need to understand, to help you get close to the game you want.

A base layer of wicking material does a fine job of helping the wool ward off cold.

My Grandpop was the only hunter in my family and took me for squirrels and birds with shotgun. Once, while with him at a sporting goods store, we saw two men practicing with recurves, shooting at hay bales. Grandpop, who hunted and trapped most of his life, was of the opinion that, "those guys will go hungry using those things".

At the age of forty, I began deer hunting and in the second season started bow hunting with and old wheel compound. Now I hunt and compete with a recurve. Success's came quickly for me. Grandpop died before I started, but I often wish he could see and eat the deer I've taken.

Go for it, you can do it.

• Sitka Gear