Novemberforever 12-Dec-14
Novemberforever 13-Dec-14
TrapperJack 13-Dec-14
Tomas 13-Dec-14
RutNut@work 13-Dec-14
Antler Whore 15-Dec-14
11-Dec-14

ArchersQuest's Link
Deer management rule going to public hearings in January.

Under possible changes to deer rule, CDACs could gain power, including ability to recommend antler point restrictions, limiting buck harvest to first two days of a season, etc.

From Dec. 11 MJS article by Paul Smith:

The permanent rule could create a process by which CDACs could ask for changes in regulations such as bonus buck.

"These CDACs have to know they have skin in the game or this whole system falls apart," said Greg Kazmierski, a board member from Pewaukee.

In addition to bonus buck, the councils could vote to influence other local deer management regulations, including: holding a four-day December antlerless deer hunt; allowing the harvest of bucks during the Holiday Hunt; holding an antlerless-only deer season; instituting antler point restrictions (four points on a side or wider than the ears) in a selected season; or limiting buck harvest to the first two days of a season.

11-Dec-14
Scary stuff. What happens when the committee of 7 contains only three that hunt? How thick will the regulations book be when every CDAC comes up with their own, by county, regulations and seasons?

Any any committee member in northern wisconsin that is in favor of antler restrictions needs a swift kick in the pants. Hunters are screaming about the lack of deer. The harvest is down,etc. The ONLY way to rebuild a population is to stop shooting does. Saving a spike or forkhorn does nothing to rebuild a population.

11-Dec-14
I would be shocked if Cdac is anything more then feel good window dressing. Prove me wrong,let's see 1 county out of 79 that gets Aprs, limited buck harvest,ect. thru for 1 county. Don't hold your breath.

11-Dec-14

11-Dec-14
In the LP of MI, they did something similar, at least in the case of APRs. However, the APR rule was put in place based on a vote of people in those counties versus from a CDAC team.

11-Dec-14
The linked story can not be taken seriously as they are citing a "DNR expert". Since there is no such thing, the whole story must be bunk;)

11-Dec-14
Another BS group telling the rest about pushing their agendas..

It's simple folks... in areas of low deer herds.. you can't keep slaughtering off the herd.... the rest of the state has decent hunting... why pass regs on any other part of the state... the decimated 19 are the ones in trouble and are over killed every year.. this will continue under these BS changes... for.... wait for it..... jack crap difference in what we have now ... why clowns like this think they are fooling folks is because we keep voting by buying a tag.... want changes?? Screw them idiots by boycotting their BS deer management crap... hit them in the wallet... only thing the state understands is money for gains... let's send a message in a massive boycott.... it's the only way to get change. . Committees aren't the answer they all have their personal agends

11-Dec-14
" let's send a message in a massive boycott.... it's the only way to get change"

That would work but in todays world I bet we couldn't get 1000 hunters to do it. We are to selfish as a whole.

11-Dec-14
24,000 boycotted this years gun season without aw's campaign

11-Dec-14
519, can't happen. The majority of CDAC members must have actively purchased hunting licenses in a majority of recent seasons.

CDACs are advisory only. DNR will have input, and NRB final say.

Calls for boycotts have been made here for a decade or more. Truth is, the annual turnover of "part-time" hunters is in the tens of thousands every year. Some die, some are ill/injured, lose a job, lose a favored hunt spot, have a death in the family, get married, have a new child, or lose interest for any number of other reasons. Some come back, some never will. The nation as a whole has seen a deficit in recruitment for some time now, and it's finally happening in Wisconsin. May or may not get better. It depends on a lot more than just deer numbers.

We are recommending either a free second private land tag with each license, or a $2 bonus tag (private land only) if the software can't automatically print "private land only" on the free extra. A lot of talk last night about the $12 fee. One person stated that he used both of his free tags and had two deer in the freezer, all he wanted. In the past said he would have purchased a couple $2 tags "to have in the pocket" and donate a deer or two. He didn't this year.

Our farmer rep (a hunter who at the last meeting voted to maintain, and says he and others accept deer ag damage as part of their enjoyment of seeing/hunting deer) changed his tune last night and voted to decrease. Said there are too many deer. The rest stuck with maintain, citing the uncertainties over crossbows and call-in registration, as well as "hot spots" vs. hard-hit areas. Again recommended an educational process promoting the taking of two antlerless to every antlered buck in areas with high deer numbers.

11-Dec-14
Naz - that isn't necessarily true. My understanding is that each committee should consist of at least seven members, and that the formal requirement is that at least 3 of the members have bought a deer license in 7 of the last 10 years.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/cdac.html

Given the unfornately low level of interest/involvement by hunters in these committees, it wouldn't be difficult to see an individual representing forestry, an anti-hunter, a farming interest, and someone from the insurance industry occupy the other four seats. What do you think the recommendations of that group would be?

11-Dec-14

Naz 's Link
519, my bad, was thinking it was 4 of 7 … still, the local CC reps chair the committees, and can help "find" the members. Unless your county rep is Patricia Randolph, don't think you need to worry about that happening. Very few committees had even 5 or 6 members the first couple meetings this year (some still don't; see http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/cdaccontact.pdf for list by county - CC reps don't vote unless to break a tie, then the chair would). Door was the only one in September that was fully staffed, and a majority were hunters. They still voted unanimously — with the transportation rep missing the night of the vote in October — to decrease.

Here is the statewide CDAC survey results (we also viewed written comments by county last night; not a lot received in many).

11-Dec-14
Naz,thanks for the link. Results are about what I expected in the survey areas I did. That is a good thing IMO. Next step is to see if any of the 3 year recommendations change based on the feedback recevied.

Do you know if the written comments will be published?

11-Dec-14
"CDACs are advisory only. DNR will have input, and NRB final '

Yep, just what Naz said.

11-Dec-14
November, when did we add some counties ;-)

This would be scary and needs to stop if it is true. What other mismanagement would get into the works?

11-Dec-14
Sorry Smokey, 72....Do I get a happy face now?

11-Dec-14
Like it or not, a big buck is on the mind of 99% of every hunter that walks into the woods. Decimating the buck population with bonus bucks is not the answer. Aprs will get more hunters shooting does because they won't be able to shoot the first small bucks they see. The age structure will improve while meat hunters shoot does. The good genetic 1 1/2 yr Olds 8ptrs are rare and are getting killed now so that will make no difference. If the north is buck only again next yr, how many will be left without aprs?

12-Dec-14
Geitz"""CDACs are advisory only. DNR will have input, and NRB final ' Yep, just what Naz said.""

I support cdac to a point,, but your statement shows the weak link in the system. Again the wdnr and people in MADISON are going to make the FINAL decision.

With that in mind we are no better off then before. And I voiced this concern at the last meeting. We are hurting in Ashland Co. and at the 2nd meeting the state forester wanted to maintain the herd till an up roar. He is the same person along with a dnr manager that is to approve and take our wants to the nrb.

Doesn't look GOOD..

12-Dec-14
November, all is well in the world again ;-)

12-Dec-14
Arrow, the DNR reps at the meeting are advisory only as well. They can give opinions and provide numbers, but it's not binding. You can bet that unless it's an obvious b.s. call (such as asking for an increase in a unit with a "deer behind every tree"), the county recommendations will be approved by NRB. Before that happens, the DNR forestry and wildlife reps will attach a written response to the CDACs recommendation. Those will then go to DNR deer advisory committee and wildlife committee. Agency comments will be attached with anything the NRB sees, but they will be just that — comments. Having another poor season in much of the north is a good thing only as far as CDAC is concerned for more easily getting "increase" recommendations passed, IMO.

12-Dec-14
Hunting has slaughtered and decimated our herd.

With added technology and crossbows now legal we have to lesson the killing, all done by hunters. Shorten the seasons, one buck, eliminate party hunting, restrict doe shooting, do something to keep the beer guts from pulling the trigger on their compounds, crossbows and guns.

12-Dec-14
Naz I hope you are right. But it seem like the fox guarding the hen house. I hope you are right.

12-Dec-14
After it goes to the NRB(if it is approved), it still must go to the Governor and then the legislature(committee) for approval.

Lots of check and balances

12-Dec-14
Sawtooth, you are dead on. With statewide rifles, crossbows, and all the extra seasons we definitely need to adjust limits, group bagging, seasons...

12-Dec-14
Sawtooth... is spot on.... now think about where exactly in the state most of the available access and hunters are.. 1st.. much of the state is bait banned .. that puts everyone who wants to sit a pile...in these decimated counties...unlimited access and unlimited tags.. and bait piles... = piss poor deer herds

12-Dec-14
So what happens when the committee wants one thing on increasing the deer herd and the wdnr wants another? What person on the nrb has any knowledge of what's goes on in Ashland Co. or any other?

The only check and balance is what the NRB and the wdnr wants. The committees have no delegate to argue with the NRB or the wdnr if they go against the committees plan for that Co. Not very transparent.

12-Dec-14
AW, that is one thing you actually may be right about. The kill in Pierce county where we have our land was up. But There were a lot of hunters there that usually hunt up north. I wonder how displaced northern hunters will effect other counties in the future.

12-Dec-14
OK, >>>--arrow1--> ....let's just go back to the old management plan.

Feel better or are you just going to complain about that one too?

As Roger's said, "R-E-L-A-X"..... give it some time before grabbing your torches and pitchforks

12-Dec-14
What are the answers to arrow's questions? They are very good and appropriate questions. These types of questions should have answers before this all plays out.

12-Dec-14
I don't see any complaint, just a couple of very legitimate questions. This whole deal smells of used car salesman.

12-Dec-14
OOOOKKK MR GEITZ if you could just get off your high Madison horse and look at my past posts,,you will see I posted "I support cdac to a point"" This is not the middle east and you are not the king.. People can have an opinion on how the cdac committee plans could be more transparent and work (MAYBE) better.

So take your blinders off and get rid of the tunnel vision and lets (ALL) work to make the committees work more efficient. Just because Madison set this up doesn't mean its perfect as you want everyone to believe.

Let edit one more thing so those that didn't attend the meeting know. At the last meeting the committee approved to raise the deer herd in Ashland Co. Then at the same meeting it was up to the WDNR to approve our plan or not. So if the wdnr didn't approve our plan what recourse does the committee have ? None as far as the committee knows.

If the wdnr approved our plan and the NRB didn't then what is the co. committees recourse ?

Now remember the state forester recommended to maintain the herd as it is. Till the up roar. Take a look at the 9day kill from 2007 to 2014 in Ashland Co.. And now this same guy is part of the approval of our plan!!

12-Dec-14

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
Many NRB members hunt, and I can't imagine them opposing what a local stakeholder committee spent many hours hashing out, with many local voices. Again, the only way I believe this is challenged is if a county with a growing herd (and with the harvest, deer damage and car/kill data to prove it) asks to increase. I don't know of any like that. Take a look. I'd say most are spot-on in their assessment. Maintain could even be looked at as "increase" since so few areas even sold out their tags to begin with.

12-Dec-14
Naz I agree to a point with what you are posting. But again the Co. committees have no recourse and if the wdnr is going to relay on their old deer management population work we are no better off then before. I want the cdac to work!!

12-Dec-14
Some things never change...lol

12-Dec-14
""Some things never change...lol "" That's an answer from someone that doesn't know or care to educate the public to gain support for the cdac committees.

Geitz Answer the questions plz. You pretent to have all the answers on the cdac educate us.

12-Dec-14
Washburn being colored as maintain makes zero sense.

12-Dec-14
Here another question Geitz you post "it still must go to the Governor and then the legislature(committee) for approval"

This is the very first time I have heard this. Its all been that the nrb is the approving head. ( I do go to all the meetings )

Where is this written and why hasn't this been stated to our Co. committee ?

So as you post it here. The wdnr must approve the Co. committee plan. Then on to the nrb for approval. Then to the Gov. for approval. And finally onto the legislature committee. WOW

This is the first some (if not all)of us have heard of this.

12-Dec-14
The just got off the phone with my Co. cdac Chair and read him Geitz's post " After it goes to the NRB(if it is approved), it still must go to the Governor and then the legislature(committee) for approval"

He said that is NOT what he was told . He said he was told the cdac recommends to ie increase, the wdnr approves or disapproves it, then sends it to the deer committee for approval or disapproval then finally to the nrb for approval or disapproval.

Geitz if this is not the case plz provide documentation so I can take it to the chair of the cdac.

12-Dec-14
arrow,

Currently, the new management plan is under emergency rule. Permanent rule is not passed. Under Act 21, everything passed by the NRB must go thru Gov and Legislature. Now, the permanent rule may allow a bypass but currently it does not but it still must be approved per Act 21.

Second, the county committees do not have an understanding on their authority and obviously( based on the committee reports) what needs to be done. This is not their fault as it is very new to them and I'd imagine it will be more structured in the future. No ones fault as it is new to everyone involved.

My only concern is hunters will be "committeed" out and not sure which or if any are important. Personally, the CDAC meetings for a deer hunter are much more important than a WCC.

"Geitz Answer the questions plz. You pretent to have all the answers on the cdac educate us."

I left Bowsite for quite awhile as it was rediculous on how individuals "beat up" others. While I understand and appreciate others, like Naz, for a difference of opinion; you, on the other hand, continue to bash what you used to believe was important to you. I've never understood but your destructive nature is obvious.

Rather than being destructive, just pick up the phone and call. Otherwise, just don't expect anything explaining WI deer management from me. First, it's a website forum. Second, it's information available to anyone who wants to be involved.

Finally, I used to pee and moan about deer hunting to people and forums, I chose to be active. Others could/can or were involved but would rather pee and moan about deer hunting and chose not to be actively involved.

(Now, I'm sure we'll all hear a rant....lol)

12-Dec-14
Geitz I would think you would be glad to answer all questions to gain support for the cdac if you truly knew the answers. But rather you elect act arrogant to those that want to learn.

As I posted on here,, I support the cdac and want it to work. But there a questions by myself and others( committee members ) that we would like answered.

You should appreciate the questions being asked and educate everyone "if" you know the facts in an effort to gain support and educate everyone without bashing.

Your posting so far is not gaining support.

12-Dec-14
Arrow, what else would you expect from a WBH big shot.

12-Dec-14

13-Dec-14
16 baldies down so far. 4 to go for goal. Rainey in so cal so off to naples and keywest in the morning. Kayak with the manatees, hiurricanes at tonys on duvall street, red and bonefishing.... 72 degree water and tequilla breast shots.... Not going to miss late season bow.......

13-Dec-14
Seen lots of deer during the smoke pole season including some pretty decent bucks. Does need to be thinned so taking out the wife today to bring one down and add to the freezer. With our land and 2 other big land owners next to us we can manage the area as we see fit and no DNR rules or changes will affect the herd in our area. I see a bright future in our area.

13-Dec-14
I hope the wolves don't climb your high fence.

13-Dec-14
Sounds like fun November. Even though we are experiencing a warm up, this damp, dreary weather sucks imo.

15-Dec-14
Sounds like BS to me

• Sitka Gear