Jim Casto Jr 11-Dec-14
SpongeBen 12-Dec-14
WBowhunt 13-Dec-14
SpongeBen 14-Dec-14
mudflap 15-Dec-14
WBowhunt 21-Dec-14
Jim Casto Jr 21-Dec-14
11-Dec-14
OK. I was considering trying a Back Tension / hinge release this coming year. I have fought with punching the trigger for a long time. But Holy Cow. I did not expect them to be that expensive. So before I commit. Who has experience with them? Are they worth it?

11-Dec-14
If you've developed, even a hint of target panic (punching the trigger) they're worth more than you can imagine. All you need to do, once you get it adjusted, is put your pin on the mark, and pull. Greatest things since pockets on shirts.

I would suggest (highly) that you get a quality one, and make sure it has a safety on it.

12-Dec-14
A back tension release is the only real way to correct target panic. Trust me, I know because I have been through it. They do work, but you have to commit to one and not give up. You will get worse with one before you get better. I have a few of them, but I like the hinge style the best. For hunting I use a thumb trigger set a very heavy tension, so that I can place pressure on the thumb barrel and aim without the release going off and use my back tension to trigger the release. I also have a back tension release with a safety and it is silent (this one would be good for hunting if you are afraid of the hinge style). For target archery I use a hinge style with clicker. This is my favorite release. If I could get the deer to ignore the clicker I would use it for hunting. Anyhow, Lancaster Archery Supply has a really good deal going on right now for the release I use for target archery (Scott Archery Longhorn 3). They have them for $90. Good Luck.

13-Dec-14
Thanks for the feedback. I have been working on trying to focus and use Back tension with my caliber but am just not getting that surprise release I am actually planning on going up to Lancaster Archery next week. So will check it out

14-Dec-14
It is extremely difficult to execute a shot with most caliper (index finger) releases using back tension since most of them do not allow for increasing the tension in the release. They will adjust for travel, but not tension. I feel to properly use back tension you need to be able to place pressure on the release without the release going off while aiming and then as you aim with the pressure your muscles will take over. Good Luck.

15-Dec-14
My name is James and I have Target Panic. I have been on the road to recovery for the last 7 years. I still have the urge to pop the clutch on any trigger style release I shoot. I have found that the Carter Back Strap is the best solution for me. It has a trigger but it acts as a safety. So you squeeze the trigger as you draw your bow and then once you settle in you relax the trigger and begin applying back pressure. Once you have it set correctly it works amazingly. I have hunted with this release but usually put it up and use my Carter Rx2. I am here for you on your road to recovery.

James

21-Dec-14
Well I ordered the tru ball pro brass 4 finger. Should be here next week. Figured I would practice using my kids genesis bow to get used to it.

21-Dec-14
Does that model have a safety?

If not, be sure to learn to draw toward the side of your face. Blood will flow--eventually.

• Sitka Gear