steve 12-Dec-14
Heartshot 12-Dec-14
Mike in CT 12-Dec-14
steve 12-Dec-14
Andyw 12-Dec-14
Stlhtr 12-Dec-14
Heartshot 13-Dec-14
12-Dec-14
So here's the scenario guys I'm getting nothing but night pics on the cameras now I get it they don't tell the whole story but this is in the oak grove that my stand is in and where they r coming to eat so my question is do I go for broke and push to the bedding area for the last part of the season or do I try and stick it out and hope they show during daylight hrs. I'm in a toss up on this one have had absolutely no daytime pics

12-Dec-14
Based on what I've read and looked up in videos, some guys suggest this is the best time to get into that bedding area before sunrise, bucks are tired from the rut and they'll be interested in eating and rest. I'm sure guys with way more experience can give you better advice, but that's my two cents. Good luck to ya!!

12-Dec-14
can you get somewhere in between

12-Dec-14
I second NM, I would get between the bedding and feeding area on a likely route they would use to exit from the feeding to bedding area and try to beat them on the return trip. Based on the the average latest time you have them on camera go in an hour to hour and a half earlier than that.

12-Dec-14
I'm liking that option guys gonna have to think this one through on where to go it's not a far distance between bedding and feeding in there prob 300 yrds or so I'm thinking edge of the thicket might be the ticket

12-Dec-14
ding ding ding..lol

12-Dec-14
NM it's like smacking ur head with a hammer a few dozen times u don't wanna move but eventually realize hey! Stupid get the hell outta there lol

12-Dec-14
I'm surprised someone didn't suggest hunt at night! I know you wouldn't, but sure sounds like others would.

I would try to find out where they're coming from and going to, then try a stalk.

12-Dec-14
I was going to suggest night hunting in Utah , but ehhh that would just be crazy talk

12-Dec-14
what time is night time ??

12-Dec-14
Midnight

12-Dec-14
Matt,

Before forming any plan of attack I'd want to know exactly when it is the deer are showing up on your camera. For example if it's 30 to 60 minutes past legal shooting time you might catch them up before the end of legal shooting time by setting up as close to their bedding area as you can without giving yourself away. You will need to be especially careful about the wind setting up that close.

Realistically if they're not showing up on your camera until well after legal shooting time (2 hours after or more) it won't make any difference given how close the bedding area is (300 yards) relative to the feeding area.

One possibility would be if you can identify a staging area between the bedding area and feeding area; deer could "hang up" here for an hour or more. A word of caution; staging areas are most easily identified when frequented by bucks-you'll find an area with a high number of rubs; does will be less obvious but you may find (and you should look for) evidence of a high degree of browsing. Remember, you've got a good, preferred food source with your oak flat so if you find an area between that and the bedding area with good sign of a lot of browsing that can be a staging area visited mostly by does.

If you find such an area I would set up on the edge of that area closest to the feeding area and only under perfect wind conditions. It may well be that your first sit is more of a learning experience than a hunting experience. You may find you need to move closer to the bedding area. If your first sit is unproductive but you hear deer moving be very careful getting out of there so you don't contaminate the area.

Plan B would be to hunt right on the edge of the bedding area in the morning to try and catch the deer returning. First consideration will again be time of photos on your camera. If they're between 10pm and 2am for example forget Plan B-the deer will likely already be back in the bedding area and all you'll accomplish is to bump them and educate them.

If the pictures are say from 5pm-6pm they may bed in the oak flat and then if the wind is from the oak flat to the bedding area you can try to sneak in behind them and set up right at the entrance to the bedding area. Understand this is the perfect example of the high-risk scenario; at this late in the season the deer will not be tolerant of human scent right at the bedroom door.

If you feel this area has a lot of potential I wouldn't push the envelope this year. What I would recommend is you spend late winter and the spring and early summer really studying the area and trying to learn as much as you can about how the deer are using that property. Think of the 80/20 rule; 80% of the time the deer likely spend the bulk of their time on only about 20% of the total acreage on most properties we hunt. The better you understand which areas are productive (AND WHY!) the more consistently you'll get on deer.

Best of luck!

12-Dec-14
Midnight is bad . Go as close to the bedding area as you can what do you have to lose .Steve

12-Dec-14
Not sure if you have other spots or your hunting a particular deer and really need to concentrate in this spot HS. My experience through the years of trying to arrow a mature buck in the late season in an area that had pressure is hunt the afternoons on the RIGHT wind just outside of bedding. I'm convinced the mature bucks are bedded this time of year well before daylight..DEFINATELY not saying you can't get a shot in the am but I would really try to eliminate scent and pm hunt him on the right wind..he will only be hungrier and gain more confidence to move in the near future. I'm going through the same thing on a pressured big boy. Hope you get a shot HS.

12-Dec-14
I would hunt as close to there bedding area as possible. Especially if they've been under a lot of hunting pressure. If the weather is right before the season ends get right in the bedding area still hunting. You could have a buddy do it up wind and drive him out while you post up. Great end of season tactic. Food source hunt may be no good if there's not a lot of cover for day time movement , plus he's most likely on to you if your checking cams and hunting the spot a lot. Mix it up. Good luck!

13-Dec-14
Def moving this stand today to much human traffic out here heading to a different side of the area where the deer r heading to the houses at night and retreating back to the state land to the swamp gonna stick it out for the morning till 9

• Sitka Gear