Babysaph 14-Dec-14
mountain william 14-Dec-14
gobbler 14-Dec-14
Babysaph 14-Dec-14
Spec 16-Dec-14
Babysaph 16-Dec-14
12-Dec-14

Posted an hour ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deer Hunters in West Virginia harvest 37,277 bucks during the buck firearms season

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Preliminary data collected from game checking stations across the state indicate deer hunters in West Virginia harvested 37,277 bucks during the two-week buck firearms season, which ran from Nov. 24 through Dec. 6, 2014, according to Frank Jezioro, director of the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR). The 2014 buck harvest is down 34 percent from the 2013 harvest of 56,523. The top 10 counties for buck harvest were as follows: Preston (1,531), Greenbrier (1,384), Randolph (1,254), Lewis (1,159), Ritchie (1,157), Hampshire (1,069), Wood (1,019), Upshur (1,015), Monroe (1,001), and Mason (998).

This year’s overall buck harvest is lower than last year’s with decreases occurring in all DNR districts. The largest percentage decreases occurred in the western counties of the state, while the buck harvest in the mountain and southeastern counties had smaller decreases. Warm and very windy weather across the state on opening day; heavy snowfall Wednesday, the third day of the season, in the eastern panhandle of the state; and a rainy second week impacted hunter participation and contributed to the decreased harvest across the state.

The excellent acorn crop this fall also contributed to lower hunter success, just as a similar abundant acorn crop in 2010 led to a 31 percent decline in buck harvest followed by a 38 percent rebound in 2011. This year’s preliminary buck harvest remains 33 percent below the previous five-year average of 55,902.

Wildlife biologists and wildlife managers collected age-specific biological information at checking stations in 19 counties this year. They will analyze data from the combined 2014 deer seasons (buck, antlerless, archery and muzzleloader) before making appropriate recommendations for next year’s deer seasons.

These recommendations will be available for public review at 12 regulations meetings scheduled for March 16 and 17, 2015 (see current 2014 - 2015 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Summary page 6 or visit the DNR Web site at http://www.wvdnr.gov for meeting locations and dates).

Director Jezioro reminds hunters that several days of deer hunting opportunity still remain for 2014. The traditional antlerless deer season in selected counties on both public and private land opens Thursday, Dec. 18 and runs through Saturday, Dec. 20. The Youth, Class Q/QQ and Class XS deer season for antlerless deer will be open Friday and Saturday, Dec. 26 and 27. in any county with a firearms deer season.

This will be followed by the reopening of Class N/NN antlerless deer season Dec. 29-31 in 50 counties or portions of counties (see 2014 - 2015 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Summary or visit the DNR Web site at http://www.wvdnr.gov for county and area listings).

12-Dec-14
WOW,Those are some bad numbers,WV (DNR)needs to stop making excuses.

12-Dec-14
WOW

12-Dec-14
Grizz, that's what every body screamed in 2010 too. It rebounded with a higher kill in 2011, than it declined in 2010. I wander what will happen the next season food is more scarce? I wander?

It sure was a tough year. Not only in WV too. From reports on Bowsite and the leatherwall, it appeared mast was heavy in a lot of forested states. It appears their harvests are down too. There is a common variable.

Last year every internet site on the web said Iowa, Kansas, and Illinois was ruined. The guys I've been talking to this year said it was awesome. HHMMMM. God Bless

12-Dec-14
It would be nice if those numbers were a result of overhauled buck regulations, but the reality is the numbers of deer are down. I won't be a bit surprised if the doe kill is down just as much. I realize some areas might have a larger population of does than others, but on average the numbers are down statewide. I can accept a few negative remarks from disgruntled hunters, but I don't believe I've ever heard as many consistent remarks about how "slow" this season was. And I've talked to a lot of people from all areas of the state. The reasons the DNR are giving are true, but they are leaving out the biggest reason, which is poor management . At least that's my opinion.

12-Dec-14
The common variable is every year hunters have asked for better buck management. The common denominator is the DNR and Commission have been unresponsive to the hunting public.

Its time to look past adjusting doe harvest and adjust buck harvests.

I know you believe that we will not have results like other places. Give me proof that other states have not experienced positive results by lowering the buck harvests.

This is not a complaint about this year's harvest as much as a complaint of year after year of stagnant management. Management designed for additional bucks and not quality bucks.

12-Dec-14
Normal for a year with high amount of mast and poor weather conditions for hunting.

12-Dec-14
Would be a great time to implement better buck management with a year that many bucks were spared the bullet.

12-Dec-14
Cory, I don't believe we won't see improvements of antler size in a lower buck harvest. I have never said that. What I have said was there are plenty of big deer here in my experience. I see them while working. I seen them when I used to hunt them. More importantly, I see the sign of them in a lot of different places. And I see them hanging on a lot of walls of serious deer hunters in a lot of different places. One thing is certain, those that get serious about killing them have zero problems of doing it. The difference is they look in the places they are.

And I'm worried as heck that when two don't work, it will go to one. I enjoy hunting with a bow and a rifle. I enjoy the heritage of deer camp in Pocahontas County. I can't do that with these regulations you pose. Where I hunt will not support a doe harvest with a rifle. Am I supposed to miss that, miss taking youngsters to experience that because you don't want to drive to the coalfields and hunt where the deer you seek roam in pretty dang good numbers?

By your thought process, I can be screaming things need to change because Mercer County doesn't have a draw for rifle doe. I mean, it isn't fair for me to have to drive to kill a doe on a purchase tag is it? Or is it? How is it different than what you want? I tell you how it's different, I accept the imitations and realize that if I want to be able to purchase a doe tag, I'd better find a place to hunt, in a county that houses an open doe season. What's wrong with you doing the same to see the deer you request seeing and leave my heritage and wishes alone?

My thought processes are a lot different than you imply with your "grown man" shooting another fork horn theory. I read on another forum last night where you commented on a thread a friend of mine wrote about our deer camp. Guess what, the deer camp you said would have been awesome for you as a kid, will not happen if you get your regulations. I don't want that for my nephews, my family or friends kids. I want them to experience what is awesome. The heritage of hunting the way it was/is for those of us that enjoy camping, hunting in wilderness, etc... I want them to be a part of deer camp. Not have to stay home because they killed a buck with their bow.

I posted a thread about the bruiser buck a friend of mine killed and got railed for broadcasting it. I was told we didn't need anymore people hunting here. well, I got news for you bud, if you get these regulations, you are going to have more people here hunting. driving up the cost for everyone. The days of $3/4 an acre leases are GONE. Right across the border in VA, the lease rate my brother gets for managing farms for several clients went well into the $20.acre average. Get ready, it's coming here too if we do this. Just ask anybody in PA, or any where else this has happened due to an increase in demand for hunting land.

In 2010, this same argument was rampant. It was due to the same causes. And, I refuse to surrender what is important to me, when I experience enough, both personal and through seeing the results of others, to know different from what you claim. Just to make it convenient for you or anybody else to kill a bigger buck close to home. You claim biological reasons for wanting the change. Me too. Show me biologically where we are failing. I'll change my mind.

We have such a balanced buck to doe ratio now, as a state, that we missed the rut this year for the most part. It was here and gone, in a blink of an eye. that is a sign of herd health. Not mis-management. I could go on and on. I won't. We just see things different, obviously have a polar opposite set of experiences to derive our thoughts from concerning this, and have different priorities for the future of hunting. No harm. I still think your a swell guy. God Bless

12-Dec-14
A great year to do it.

12-Dec-14
That's exactly right! This would definitely be the time to do it. If they would implement one buck and done now, talk about some trophies as soon as 2-3 years.

12-Dec-14
The winds of change have started.

12-Dec-14
Just as I said , they blame it on acorn crop. It is almost comical.

12-Dec-14
Let's increasc the buck limit to 4 next year. Lol.

12-Dec-14
Mountaineer you can hunt with a one buck limit. Just shoot does. Meat is meat

12-Dec-14
Couldn't have happened at a better time for me after having open heart valve replacement surgery Oct. 14, the deer are out there and it just means larger bucks when I get back out there next fall, I've got some lost time to make up!

12-Dec-14
WVMountaineer,

How is protecting bucks keeping you from hunting in Pocahontas County? I am fully aware that some counties cannot support a doe season. I live in one of those counties. Just what regulations am I proposing? I haven't said anything besides better buck management. I would advocate a one buck a year. I would advocate two bucks at one per weapon. I would advocate keeping our three buck limit with apr's. Actually, I have changed my mind recently on what I would like to see IMO.

How does better buck management keep you from camping, hunting in wilderness, etc? How often do you take more than one buck from the backcountry?

Did I say I am unwilling to drive to southern WV for a big buck and a great hunting experience? It is closer than Indiana or Ohio so I have no idea where you got the idea that I am not willing to drive somewhere.

I too have to drive for does. I too live in a permit county for does.

Southern WV might have a balanced buck to doe ratio but look north of Charleston and see if you can say the same.

More people hunting is essential to the future of hunting.

12-Dec-14
WVMountaineer,

You state that this won't work then you state lease prices will go up because of bigger deer.

I didn't know that balanced buck to doe ratios lead to a diminished rut.

12-Dec-14
It leads to a shorter more intense rut.

13-Dec-14
Only speaking for my area I hunt: the deer kill was down because of the timing of the rut and the amount of mast. There are no shortage of deer in my county.

If someone from the DNR is reading this....I don't blame the limited buck kill this year on you.....but I sure would love to credit the limited buck kill on you next year!!! It is time....make a change.

13-Dec-14
^^^^ Love this comment^^^^^

It's ok we had a low buck kill in 2014. This is not a knee jerk reaction. It is just time to do something.

13-Dec-14
This years buck harvest 33% down over 5 year average . I leave in mason co Where in 2011 1944 bucks where killed and has dropped every year to a low this year of 998. Very sad down almost 1000 buck deer over 4 yrs something just not right here

13-Dec-14
If we kill more deer they will return next year. :)

13-Dec-14
sunday, if you refuse to acknowledge what has been written in my post's, what becomes hunting costs in states that manage for big horns in their deer herd, than there is no reason to continue this. You do your thing. I'll do mine. Good luck and God Bless

13-Dec-14
If you only hunt public lands then any lease fees should not be an issue.

13-Dec-14
If you have your own land then any lease fees should not be an issue. BTW, I do not have enough land of my own to hunt on but I do throw hays bales in the summer which gets me permission to hunt and trap a large chunk of land.

So we shouldn't get a better, more structured herd because lease prices "may" go up?

13-Dec-14
According to last years bowhunter survey

56% hunted private property 25% hunted personal property 8% hunted leased property 5% hunted State property 4% hunted Company land 2% hunted National forest

81% hunted personal or private property

8% hunted leased property

13-Dec-14
I admit that my initial impression was that the mast and weather was going to be the main reason for a low kill.

Now, while I still believe that is a part of it I am hearing too many stories of people conducting organized drives and still not seeing any deer.

Granted, if there is abundant mast and bad weather that will keep deer activity down. Bad weather will keep hunters out of the woods.

But on days where people are driving if there are deer there they will get them up and moving. I've heard several stories where people just didn't see deer on drives like they did in recent past years.

In my opinion there must be another factor other than mast or weather, and the logical answer would be that there just aren't as many deer as we had.

13-Dec-14
As I posted before DNR would blame weather and acorn crop. Go figure. The time for change is now, you would think they would have to listen now and know that we are not going to buy into the typical propaganda year after year. If you are one of the lucky ones and saw deer congrats. If you think your county is great and the deer herd is flourishing congrats. Give it time the DNR and WV biologist just haven't reached your neck of the woods yet. Stay tuned yet another tag and season will be added to your county.

13-Dec-14
I saw as many or more deer and more bucks than in years past. This was mainly in Cabell, Putnam and Jackson counties. The deer were there, and if you put the time in and adapted to where the food was, you would see and be on them. I bet I passed 20+ small bucks this year..

Now in Mingo, being my first year down there hunting on this lease, I can tell you I saw deer on all but 2 trips. Again, with the amount of food they had, you just had to adjust where you hunted.

Corey--I agree 100% with what you have said...except for the APR....I would just rather put a set limit..

WVmountaineer.....Why would a limit on buck numbers affect you yearly family hunting trip? If you go and have already killed a buck, it was probably a nice one or you wouldn't have shot it..If you wanted neat, shoot a doe or 2 and save your buck tags...do you really need to shoot 2 or 3 bucks?

13-Dec-14
The Dnr and people saying it's because of the abundant mast are high...yesterday evening I lost count of the number of deer I saw in the fields eating grass. Bucks and does..early fall maybe there were some good treats in the woods, but it appears the candy is gone, at least in my county

13-Dec-14
Another thing about the mast..it supposedly spreads deer out..maybe some of you have the quiet and peace of several thousand acres, but I will tell you this..in Monroe county, every single piece of property you see has someone or two or three or ten hunting..where in the Sam holly heck are the deer spreading out to lol? The deer population is just down, not a bad thing, but from what I seen this year there's a bunch of young bucks, some kind of turnover Has happened cause last year there were big bucks everywhere

13-Dec-14
I agree with that ,kinda......A lot of the mast has been eaten up and they are starting to group up..I don't have any fields to hunt, but they are hitting where the mast still is.....Would make sense that they are in the fields....

But they are coming in groups.....

13-Dec-14
So how could they say low buck harvest was due to mast....I just don't see it in counties with abundant hunters with rifles in hand...and the counts were still down in those counties

13-Dec-14
I know we had a huge buck killed in Mcdowell that may be a new record , however as a general rule I think antler growth was down this year because of the poor mast year and bad winter last year.

In fact on the way to farm Wednesday I stopped and talked to the region 4 biologist and he said that at all the DNR stations in region 4 they had set up this year the antler size was down this year compared to past years.

13-Dec-14
Saw as many deer this year as any in Calhoun County. The deer are there, you just have to get off the feeders and into the woods to find them.

14-Dec-14
Well gobbler with the good mast crop this year that means the antler size has to be bigger next year.

14-Dec-14
Copied from a local paper: Deer season seemed to be a dud this year. There were not very many hunters out in the woods and not many shots were fired. I don’t know if the weather was not cooperating, people have lost interest in hunting or we have become too complacent. The result is the same, there will be more deer killed by Toyotas than by guns this year.

I know there are plenty of deer in the woods, because I see them beside the main roads (standing, as well as dead).

It won’t take too many years of low deer kill before there are too many deer for the forests to support. Then disease will cull the herds for us.pied from local paper:

14-Dec-14
In 2010 when the low buck kill was blamed on mast and weather the kill was 43,000. This time the kill was 37,000. Will the next time have a kill of 30,000?

I know there are still pockets thru the state that have good numbers of deer. I saw as many deer on my place as in years past and I wasn't even out in the woods hunting. But the majority of people that I talked to saw a lot less deer. The majority weren't sitting in a blind watching a corn feeder on the edge of a field, they were actually out in the woods hunting.

My point is that while there are still areas that have good numbers of deer, there are a lot of other areas where the deer numbers just aren't there.

14-Dec-14
Hunting is dieing

16-Dec-14
Greed has killed it.

16-Dec-14
And lazy hunters and video games.

• Sitka Gear