Bob Dunn 15-Dec-14
Saxton 15-Dec-14
Clare@work 15-Dec-14
gobbler 15-Dec-14
Clare@work 15-Dec-14
Jim Casto Jr 15-Dec-14
Babysaph 15-Dec-14
12-Dec-14
With all the current debates going on about the management of our deer regulations, what about the killing of button bucks? I would love to know the percent of button bucks that are killed during our liberal doe seasons. Yes, they are legal to kill during doe season, but with the liberal buck regulations as well, it's common sense to me that it affects the overall buck population. I'm not sure how this could be regulated, but on my property, it is a rule that we don't shoot button bucks. And so the argument arises, "sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a button buck." Well, that's why we shoot large, mature adult does.

12-Dec-14
The DNR claims buttons make up about 20% of the doe kill. We don't kill buttons either. If you take a couple minutes it's easy to tell buttons from a doe.

13-Dec-14
I was talking with a local fellow about bb's. I told him, while I did it once years ago during antlerless season, I'd never shoot another bb. He said, "But it's hard to tell the difference at 100 yards." I said, "You don't have to shoot--do you?"

Crickets.

I wonder... what if bb's counted as a buck? Perhaps eliminate the 3" and under rule? Just make it a visible buck. I know, I know, nothing like that could ever happen, but I can still blabber.

13-Dec-14
I don't think we will ever keep the general hunting public from killing button bucks. I understand it can be hard for some to distinguish, especially during the heat of the moment.

Education is key. Maybe something as simple as a chart in the DNR regulations of what to look for. My goodness, Colorado has a chart to show the difference between moose and elk in their regulations.

13-Dec-14
#1 rule on the farm is DO NOT SHOOT button bucks. Yesterday afternoon I took a fellow hunting with me. I set him up in a blind overlooking a food plot. He had a comfy chair, shooting sticks and an inline ML with a big scope watching an open field covered with snow. About 5:00pm I killed a doe and proceeded to field dress it. A few minutes later I hear him shoot, few seconds later, I hear him shoot again. He text me stating he "hit" one. I finish, drag my deer across the field to my truck and unload the 4-wheeler and head his way. I meet him at the spring where he showed me some blood on the ground with tracks heading down a big hollow. I ask him what he shot and he stated a nice doe. I said to follow the blood and I'd gather up my things and meet him at the bottom of the hollow. Another 2 shots and a once healthy button buck is dead. Was I furious? well, inside I was steaming but on the outside I was as nice as I could be about it and said things happen. What's a guy to do? Same exact thing happened with my brother a few years ago. I set him up and told him a BB would be coming out of the laurel about 5:00 but DO NOT shoot it that a group of 5-6 big doe were always close behind. About 5 I hear him shoot and the BB lay dead. That was his last hunting trip with me. Again, both young fellows with good eyesight and ML's with big scopes. So again....what's a fellow to do?

13-Dec-14
Yes jimmy they have to shoot. That is the problem.

13-Dec-14
Charts cost money. Lol

13-Dec-14
At this time of year if you see a single deer( I'm not talking about an obvious buck) it is probably a button buck. The does and young does are more often than not back into family groups. I tell people on my place that are doe hunting to never shoot a single deer. With a single deer there is no size comparison and chances are that it's a button.

13-Dec-14
Excellent point gobbler

13-Dec-14
I fight with the guys that hunt the farm I hunt in Cabell.

This year this guy and his grandson, 17, shot 4 button bucks( 1 early youth, 2 early doe season, 1 opening day gun), 2 spikes(bow) and 2 6 points, small sixes, ...0 DOES..

I asked them what in the world they were doing...why not shoot does...they said they were, couldn't tell they were buttons, but needed meat to make summer sausage to give away as Christmas gifts....ARE YOU KIDDING ME..

Me and the 1 other hunter , besides the 2 dillholes above, agreed to shoot 2-1 does to antlered bucks and no BB....Have been doing this for 3 years now and have started to see some success, but the above 2 do that year after year,...

That's why WV will not switch buck limits or limit BB...I believe the majority of the state would see no wrong with the above situation...

Glad I hunt MIngo now

13-Dec-14
The only way to stop BB being harvested is the have to use use your buck tag based on gender of deer harvested and not 3" antlers. Know it is not going to happen, but it would make folks take a little more time to actually look. It really is not that hard to tell.

13-Dec-14
QDMA has an excellent poster that spells out the differences in an easy way. Should be required viewing for anyone with a doe tag.

13-Dec-14
Don't shoot the first deer that runs into a plot or feeder and don't shoot the last one either. The young Bb's run right into food while the family hangs back, and the slightly older bb will hang at the back of the pack..regarding the above post, if I invite someone over, I tell them not to shoot a bb, period. Then I tell them if they f up and do they will never hunt here again. Tell em the truth straight up and it works, if they are any kind of an ethical person

13-Dec-14
See what this state is up against Big Otis? It will never end. Glad I'm going to Idaho next week.

14-Dec-14
Can I go with you?

14-Dec-14
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

14-Dec-14
Heck yea. You will see more big bucks in a week than here in a lifetime. All the hunters will be done. It will be cold. They are allowed one deer. So there are lots left.

14-Dec-14
Heck yea. You will see more big bucks in a week than here in a lifetime. All the hunters will be done. It will be cold. They are allowed one deer. So there are lots left.

15-Dec-14
I have a hard time telling the difference between a button buck and doe.... They won't stand still long enough for me to check their " plumbing ".

15-Dec-14
It is EASY to keep from killing BB's. If you see a young deer ( stubby face, round ears) alone. 95% of the time it is a button.

The next time you are out, pay attention to this and you will be amazed at how accurate it is.

15-Dec-14
Gobbler, I have that poster hanging in the farm house and my buddy still shot a button this year. I didnt get mad. He owns the place , it was his second deer ever and he only gets to hunt two days a year. He felt bad about it and appologized to me. I said look this is your place , you get two days, I dont care what you shoot. Studies show buttons usually disperse and leave your property anyway.

15-Dec-14
Hey Clare! That is something I've always wondered and can't find an answer. We are told that right before the rut the doe kicks their button bucks away .

So are those buttons that we see wandering around alone in Dec. the ones from the property or new ones that have moved in??

I don't know and can't find the answer to that.

15-Dec-14
Smokey, I read a article about it in QDMA several years ago. It said in effect not to fret if someone kills a button on your property, cause he probably wouldnt be there come next fall anyway. So I guess if your neighbors are shooting them,they're killing bucks that might end up on you.Who knows? studies in one part of the country might not show the same effects here, but its caused me to sweat it less since reading that. I dont shoot them and ask others that hunt on me not to.My buddy passed up several spikes and opted to take a doe. I cautioned him that there was a button hanging around there and to try not to shoot it.He thought it was a doe til he felt its head.

15-Dec-14
Dr. J.R.,

Good luck in Idaho. Be sure to tell Gary, I said hello.

15-Dec-14
I will buddy. You already knew where I was hunting. And I knew it. :)

• Sitka Gear