gobbler 14-Dec-14
WVM&M 14-Dec-14
JayD 14-Dec-14
Bob Dunn 15-Dec-14
babysaph 15-Dec-14
Clare@work 15-Dec-14
Babysaph 15-Dec-14
13-Dec-14
As a away to get more revenue we need a crossbow season. Looks like a weeklong season will do. Of course you will have to buy your tag.

13-Dec-14
JR - I have been saying that for years. Give them their own season before they are allowed in bow season.

13-Dec-14
I shot a crossbow for the first time this year...whoa....that's a little like rifle hunting lol....hope I never have to succumb to one

13-Dec-14
I shot one this year too - it was fun to shoot and I would prefer it over a rifle. But I do not want it included in bow season - I will always favor a bow.

Would love to see a primitive weapons season for the muzzleloader and crossbow.

13-Dec-14
Of course you guys know I am being sarcastic but it is coming.,soon.

13-Dec-14
I'm all for a crossbow season. I think it should be December 31st from 12 noon till 1pm. That way they would have their own season and everyone would be happy.

JR, I think you should change your handle to Chicken Little. LOL

13-Dec-14
Gobbler - just trying to figure out your thinking here - why do you not want a crossbow season? I must admit it will surprise the heck out of me and a bunch of others if crossbows will not be included into bow season any year now. To thwart that from happening why would you be against having a crossbow season?

13-Dec-14
See, there you go accusing me of not wanting a season. I think the season I proposed is a very reasonable season. LOL

In reality I'm not really against it. I don't think it belongs in archery season. I wouldn't see a problem with a primitive season with muzzleloader and crossbow during the muzzleloader season where it is now. However, I think our doe seasons are going to be cut back instead of expanded.

However, I would be against both if it were proposed during archery season before buck season. I really wouldn't have a problem with crossbows being able to be used in place of a rifle during rifle season as long as it wasn't checked in as a bow kill.

14-Dec-14
Maybe gobbler but it is going to happen. I will bet on it.

14-Dec-14
It will be a week long season where a permit is needed and will be before thanksgiving I'm saying. I don't think they would sell permits if it was concurrent with rifle season. They wouldn't sell any either if it was concurrent with mz season. The maximum number of permits would be sold having it concurrent with bow season.

14-Dec-14
They could do away with all those doe seasons and let them use it then.

14-Dec-14
Why not just include it with the reg bow season no extra tags or anything just count it as a reg bow kill not like it's goin to matter anyway here in a few years won't have any deer to shoot at because the mast is to good but we have bad weather

14-Dec-14
Sarcasm must be becoming contagious. LOL

14-Dec-14
It is no wonder hunters can't get things changed. They can not agree on anything. Back in the day old timers didn't want compounds. Many believe muzzleloader should not allow inlines. How about we just say. Deer season. Oct to December. Three deer per season. Your choice of weapon?

14-Dec-14
I really don't remember the old timers not wanting compounds because back then there were not many bowhunters around. Muzzleloader season was once called primitive but the inlines and scopes changed that and we don't need another gun season. A crossbow is much like a gun. Why do we need crossbows? Is bowhunting just too hard now and we need another weapon to help take the challenge out of hunting? I really do not understand why people want to change bowhunting now when we see what our primitive season and the compound has evolved into. But we have hashed this out before haven't we?

J.R. sometimes I think you are half full of crap for starting a thread like this :)

14-Dec-14
In the early seventies NFAA and most bow ranges were against the compound and used the same complaints against them as you now do the crossbow. In the same time period you were lucky to see a deer track unlike today when you see numerous deer on most outings. At that time many thought you were crazy if you bowhunted and maybe we were. Things has changed and not all the changes have been good. We as a group should stick together and try to do what is good for the majority not just what we want ourself. Oh by the way I was an active hunter then and can speak from personal experience.

14-Dec-14
I was also an active hunter then and there were not many of us either. I agree we should stick together but its those who want to change it who is causing the rift. Why change it? Its much easier with the deer numbers we have now compared to 1974. Compounds have changed and it makes killing a deer easier. How much more does a hunter need? Crossbows are just another way to water down the skills that used to be necessary to be an accomplished bowhunter.

I not going to say much more about this because I'm not going argue on points that has been made about 10 times a year on this site

14-Dec-14
You can go ahead and count it done if they lose the revenue from additional buck tags. And it will be during bow season. God Bless

14-Dec-14
I don't remember the big fuss over compounds either when they came out.

I guess the only way the DNR to make up revenue is to sell crossbow tags. I just wish there were another way.

14-Dec-14
I foresee DNR allowing crossbow during Archery season, but will require a new license of different tags. So for Archery you will buy RB. And for Crossbow you will have to buy RC stamps

This will generate revenue, as you would get a lot of rifle hunters to start hunting.

14-Dec-14
They could set up roadside stands and sell meth and really generate revenue too but I don't see them doing that either.

There are dozens of ways to increase revenue without pushing crossguns into bow season.

14-Dec-14
I wonder how much a meth tag would cost? 20$ for and extra meth tag in bow season but 10$ during gun season? That is so wrong

14-Dec-14
I guess I don't understand the hatred for crossbow hunters. Comparing the state using a crossbow stamp with selling meth is completely insane.

14-Dec-14
And I don't understand why anyone would argue my points. Deep down you all know I am right.

And that just like the meth comparisons is just a joke

14-Dec-14
Lol. My threads get good responses. Lol.

14-Dec-14
We don't need it MP but the DNR will make money off of it.

14-Dec-14
Been watching & reading these posts for a while this one i gata jump in. So crossbows need there own season not in ARCHERY SEASON. We'll last time I check bout 5 min. Ago it's called HUNTING SEASON. Can you small game hunt. Turkey hunt. Bear hunt. Doe hunt. Youth hunt. ALL WITH GUNS. DURING (ARCHERY SEASON) well if you cant better call. WVA DNR. just saying????! PS. like i say at work I've heard less crying in a daycare center than a room full of grow men.....

14-Dec-14
I totally agree with you MP. No one will buy a tag if it is in ml or rifle season. It is a shortcut for guys that are too lazy to bowhunt. Plain and simple.,you will have guys that never bowhunted using none. They can knock themselves out. It is strictly done for money. It's kind of sad.

14-Dec-14
Maybe we can have an August or September youth season with the crossbow.

14-Dec-14
Hey Greg, there are lots of ways to skin a cat. I'm betting this cat get's skinned in bow season. You can be a wise cracker all you want but, this isn't Gobbler's private farm. If you and the Chrony's convince the DNR to change this, they are going to substitute the loss from buck tag purchases by selling crossbow license's.

What will you do? I bet hunting will be ruined. Then, it will be the crossbow, not the DNR, responsible for the lack of P&Y deer. Sounds about right to me.

14-Dec-14
Show me the evidence that you have that they will automatically create a crossbow tag to offset any potential lost income from decreasing the buck limit.

Unless you have an official document I'm going to assume that is an opinion. It's fine if that is your opinion, you're free to have as many opinions as you want.

I didn't even know I had cronies. I thought I might have crabs one time but it was just a fungus infection.

14-Dec-14
WVMountaineer: Chrony's???? Seriously? Is that what you call people who disagree with your infinite wisdom?

When I first read BK's post: "PS. like i say at work I've heard less crying in a daycare center than a room full of grow men.....", I was tempted to reply that I have read better punctuation in a daycare center but I guess I'm going to have to admit he was 100% right.

14-Dec-14
Oh I have to disagree about the crying part it's just guys discussing opinions and some of us don't agree. I do believe you see the old thing of well if you don't agree with me I will just take the ball and go home though type of attitude.

15-Dec-14
Put the crossguns in any season but archery. And JR, methinks you're a better fisherman than hunter! 8^)

15-Dec-14
bkbowhunter. You are right the more the merrier. Why not? Like you say everyone else is hunting in the bow season. Im still going to bowhunt on my property with no one else hunting there. (except the good ole boys when I am not there).

15-Dec-14
We basically have one now. Anyone with a buddy whose a Dr. can get signed off on it. I know guys with a limp that have them, how does a limp keep you from shooting a regular bow?

15-Dec-14
You are right Clare.

• Sitka Gear