CTCrow 16-Dec-14
cuntrytocity 16-Dec-14
bigbuckbob 16-Dec-14
bigbuckbob 16-Dec-14
CTCrow 16-Dec-14
yukon roz 16-Dec-14
Dr. Deer 16-Dec-14
15-Dec-14
Seems the other morality thread is going strong, but while on a bit of a hunt saturday afternoon, I found myself pondering a few things that felt more "realistic".

Scenario: You are hunting 75yds into an oak flat on public land. It's the last day of the season and you have not had any luck. A small doe - not a 6 month old, maybe 1.5years old or so - comes in at about 4PM in the afternoon and presents you with a great slightly quartering away 18 yard shot. You decide to take her, make a good shot. But, she runs straight for the private land 75 yards away, and thanks to the open hardwoods, you see her fall and die at about 100yds out - 25 into the land you KNOW is not public and which you do NOT have permission to be on.

Do you go and try to figure out permission, call DEEP etc, or, do you get down, walk over, drag her a little bit back onto public land, gut and drag her out?

This is, to me, where ethics dont always match laws. I could ask and do the "right" thing legally... and it's entirely possible that by the time it all worked out, it would be the next day and I'd find a head and a well eaten torso thanks to yotes, or that the land owner would say no and I just wasted a deer for no reason.

In that scenario, I'm dropping my gear on public land, walking the 25yds in, and getting her on public land to gut and drag.

Had I not seen her fall, and I questioned the shot, I may have used a different strategy. But in this case, the moral courage I apply is in favor of knowing I could get the deer out of the woods in one piece ASAP.

How about you guys? Anyone looking at their dead deer 25 yds away, walking out and going through the "correct channels"?

15-Dec-14
Will, this is the point I was trying to make in the other thread. Just because its the law dosen't make it wrong or right. 99% of the hunters on this forum and in the world. would cross the line and drag the deer back to public land. they would sleep fine at night knowing they did the right thing breaking the law. By leaving the deer on private land one could waste the deer to yotes, piss off the land owner by telling them " Hey there's a dead deer I just killed on your property. Can you please sign this so I can drag it off your land." Wasting the deer or possibilty upsetting the land owner would be wrong even though it's the law. JMHO - Duncan

15-Dec-14
I would like to get my deer as quick as possible was well.

15-Dec-14
Will

good question. I would go to my truck, clean up a bit and then drive to the house with the dead deer in the yard to ask permission to retrieve the deer. I would offer some of the venison to the owner if he allowed to get the deer. If they refused I would try to explain that the deer would attract coyotes and bobcats to their yard, just so they understood what would happen. If they still said no, I would thank them and leave.

Let's look at it from the landowner's perspective. Your sitting in your family room and you look out and see someone run across your property in the dark, in camo with a gun or bow in their hands and drag a dead animal from your yard. Did he just shoot a deer standing next to my son's swingset? What in the heck is he doing!!

I would honor the landowner and I'd hope someone would do the same on my property

15-Dec-14
Sometimes its not in view of houses.I would take my deer and go home with out saying anything.I had this same thing happen on my prperty,my wife heard shots close while I was hunting away and I went to look the next day and found a gut pile no harm done the deer was dragged back on the next farm so I was happy the hunter didn't bother my wife who was home alone .

15-Dec-14
To me it depends on the terrain and circunstances.. How close is the deer from the house? How close is the deer from the property line? Is it on their lawn? It depends on many things.

I've done both.

Once on Greenwich the deer ran to someones property and died on their lawn. I went to ask permission and now I hunt that property too. While hunting that property, deer went over another property line. I now hunt that one too.

Another time in easton I shot a nice doe. She ran and jumped over the wall and she was dead 15-20 yards over the property line. The house was about 150 yards away. I jumped over and dragged her back to my side. It took 15 seconds. Had the doe gone 50-60 yards farther, I would've gone and ask permission first.

Is that against the law? Yes but so is driving 56 on a 55 mph zone.

I have 3 or 4 properties that I hunt because I went to ask permission to drag.

15-Dec-14
yukon

you're a hunting family and I can appreciate your response to this question, very different than that of a non-hunter.

What if it was a dirt biker running across your property without permission, is that ok too? I only ask because I always assume the homeowner is NOT a hunter, and therefore I want to respect their land, the same as I would if I owned the property.

When I shot the buck this year I had to ask a stranger for a wheelbarrow. I tried to present myself as courteous and polite as possible and if they said no, I would have thanked them for at least listening to me. When the gentlemen said yes, I came back the next weekend with tools which they were delighted with. I hope I showed them that hunters are "GOOD PEOPLE" and respect the rights of others and are grateful for any considerations given to us.

In the end, it's illegal to trespass to retrieve the deer and our opinions don't matter. Work towards changing the law, not figuring out how to break them and not get caught.

15-Dec-14
yukon

you're a hunting family and I can appreciate your response to this question, very different than that of a non-hunter.

What if it was a dirt biker running across your property without permission, is that ok too? I only ask because I always assume the homeowner is NOT a hunter, and therefore I want to respect their land, the same as I would if I owned the property.

When I shot the buck this year I had to ask a stranger for a wheelbarrow. I tried to present myself as courteous and polite as possible and if they said no, I would have thanked them for at least listening to me. When the gentlemen said yes, I came back the next weekend with tools which they were delighted with. I hope I showed them that hunters are "GOOD PEOPLE" and respect the rights of others and are grateful for any considerations given to us.

In the end, it's illegal to trespass to retrieve the deer and our opinions don't matter. Work towards changing the law, not figuring out how to break them and not get caught.

15-Dec-14
Interesting responses here thus far.

Partly because it shows where we all hunt or think of hunting. I'd envisioned a big oak flat - in my head, that was what I'm used to hunting - so there no homes in sight for a long ways.

If the same scenario was in place in I could not see a home, I'm going to get the deer.

If I could see the home, I'd ask permission.

I believe at times ethics exceed the law. If I see a series of posted signs, but 50yds on the other side is a landscaper who just fell down when his chain saw slipped and he has a massive wound in his leg, I'm not going to go look for permission to cross the posted signs on the property line. I'm calling 911 while walking across the line to try and help the guy. Is that illegal? Yes. But in that case it's absolutely ethically right to "break" the "law".

Is grabbing a deer you killed a MUCH lower level situation, sure. But it show's its a challenge, and that just because there is a law, it may not be ethical or moral to follow that law in that moment.

Perhaps another way to look at it would be if the situation was the same, but it was 200yds from a home, you may or may not be seen, and you KNOW the landowner would not let you retrieve the deer under any circumstance?

15-Dec-14
Depends. If it runs across someone's yard I would get permission but if it's in the middle of nowhere I'm going over and grabbing it and dragging it back to state land where I shot it and would gut it there. If anybody sees me I would explain what happened, show them my stand location and blood trail so they would know I didn't shoot it on there land. Don't feel there is anything morally wrong with that.

15-Dec-14
If it's in view of the house or close to the home, I'm going to get permission, better safe than sorry. If it's out of sight, I'm going to get my deer.

15-Dec-14
I will add this:

If I am the property owner and some one shoots a deer at my neighbours property and dies in my property out of my/my wife's view, I don't mind if they just go get it and dragg to their side. It would only be an issue if they shoot the deer on my side.

Another exception: If they shoot a deer on their side and the deer jumps to my side and beds down 10-15 yards on my side. I don't mind them taking a follow up shot to put a wounded deer out.

If the deer falls on my lawn or close to the house, I let them use my deer cart to bring it to their truck.

15-Dec-14
Crow,

I would do the same as the property owner, but we're both hunters and you're a nice guy:)

15-Dec-14
I agree with BBB's original description on what to do. Find the land owner and ask for permission. If there is no house on that land, and you could not quickly determine the land owner, then I would call DEEP and request guidance. Besides Bob's valid point that a homeowner would not want to see a guy dressed in camo going through his back yard, he probably also does not want a dead and decaying deer in his yard either and would appreciate that you went through the proper channels to retrieve it. One last note: If given permission, I would tag the deer and drag it undressed back to the state land and field dress it there rather than leave a gut pile on the landowners property.

15-Dec-14
Garbanzo,

I sure hope everyone else would do the same thing concerning where to dress out the deer!! That would be a terrible thing to leave a property owner.

15-Dec-14
I'm with Garbanzo, I would call DEEP and explain the scenario.. who knows they may say go recover it if it's out of sight out of mind. Shoot Rage, they only go 50 yds lol.

15-Dec-14
What if they had private property signs, no trespassing/hunting as my neighbor has? Hahahaha

15-Dec-14
All the more reason to ask permission.

16-Dec-14
if I can get in and out with no one seeing me....like woods...I am grabbing the deer....if it is in someones yard I would ask....

16-Dec-14
this happened to me last year in ffld cty. I shot a deer and it ran onto private property. I went home, changed and even brought my wife with me to address the homeowner! hold onto your hats

We knocked on the door and apparently she had already seen the dead deer. She SCREAMED bloody murder as soon as the door opened! "you murderer!, you should be shot like that deer!' etc etc

My wife is a nurse and used to hysterical people and did her best to calm the woman down just as the womans husband came to the door and told us he called the police.

I went to my car and waited for them as I thought this was my best chance at redemption.

hold onto your hats.

The police arrived, told us to stay in the car and blocked my car from leaving, I guess?

He went up to the home owners and we can hear the screaming from the door.

Just then DEEP officers pulled up and came to us. I got out of the car and explained the situation from start to finish. They DEEP officer said fine and he waited to hear from the cops after they spoke to the homeowners.

There was a meeting between cops and DEEP after which DEEP officers dragged the deer to THEIR truck. The cops came up to me and asked me if I shot the deer on the property. I told them there was a clear blood trail from where I shot it, they could see my tree stand, etc. I was in the clear about where I shot it.

He then said, 'if you have nothing to hide, why did you go home to change'? WHAT?! I told him my thinking but he wasn't buying it. Sorry for the long story, but bottom line, I was ticketed and had to appear in Bridgeport court where the judge dismissed the case after I spoke with the DA about the circumstances.

The DEEP officers took the deer because it was 'inconclusive' whether it was taken legally.

Needless to say it left a terrible taste in my mouth.

16-Dec-14
What were you ticketed for?

16-Dec-14
HunterBrad

what sad state of affairs that both the DEEP and the police couldn't piece together the story just by using common sense. If you were poaching, why would you ask permission to get the deer? Makes no sense.

I would have written a letter to the DEEP and police dept and copied the local press (editorial page at the very least) explaining the situation. I know some would say you're asking for more trouble, but I would have been that upset!

Can I let go of my hat now?

16-Dec-14
WOW!!!

HB,

that really sucks. It shows you how inept the people in charge are. I guess that debunks the "change your cloth" mith.

I had an anti yelling at me and telling he how scarry i looked in my hunting cloth. "YOU LOOK LIKE THE NRA" she said.

16-Dec-14
Damn, I'm glad I don't hunt near any homes. That sounds like a nightmare. Sad to say it, but you would have been better off just dragging your deer off the property as soon as you shot it. Sounds like this woman and her husband were going to be a problem, regardless of the circumstances.

Had an incident with a hysterical woman while dragging a deer out of Trout Brook Valley. She's covering the kids eyes and saying how wrong it is.....I looked at her husband like I wanted to kick his ass for not having some balls to tell her to calm down with the hysterics.

Glad it worked out for you in the end, and sometimes that's what sucks about doing the right thing, especially when dealing with cops who treat you with suspicion when you're doing the honorable thing.

16-Dec-14
I knew I recognized you Crow!! Wait no, that was another guy I saw in hunter orange, he looked like the NRA. Wait a minute, now that I think of it, it was the guy with the trap shooting vest and the over-under shotgun, that was the NRA guy............or was it the guy that towed my truck that time, no,that was AAA guy. I don't know, they look alike to me.

16-Dec-14
When I moved to Southington in 1978 I shot a doe ( I was known as "anydeerbob" back then)and I had it hanging in a tree in my backyard. The back of my neighbor's house face the side of my house, so they could look out their back windows and see my entire yard.

Well, this guy was married (since divorced, go figure) to a real sweatheart. We could hear her screaming at him while taking his balls away anytime he didn't do what she wanted. So he comes over and asks me if I'm going to keep the dead animal hanging from the tree much longer and I said yes, about 3 more days to age the meat, then I'll butcher it downstairs, why is there a problem.

I thought he was going to cry. He said, my kids are getting upset when they look over here, so I said, tell them not to look over here. I took an old sheet and covered the deer, but within a few hours it had blood red blotches, so it looked worse than the nice furry animal that was there before.

Soon after he put up a 6ft high stockade fence across our property line. :) Now we're friends, his kids are grown and moved out, and he has a nice new wife.

16-Dec-14
Did you offer them venison?

16-Dec-14
Same thing happened to me in Newington the house behind my parents called and asked that last I take my buck down go figure.

16-Dec-14
What happened to Brad is not uncommon. Everyone, including all of us are guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of LEO's. I had the cops called on me for just asking to trespass to recover a deer. I tried to explain that to harvest the meat, I had to get to it real soon. "Let it rot", she said. Nice, right?

25 yards? I'd scoop that deer without delay and drag it back. Close to their house or further than that onto that property? Go ask. You are probably more likely to get a new permission than to get yelled at.

I have knocked on doors while tracking and found no one home. What am I supposed to do, call the police on myself for trespassing? In good faith, I have just gotten back on the track. I owe the deer that much. No weapons, of course.

• Sitka Gear