Wild Bill 16-Dec-14
SixLomaz 16-Dec-14
Gene 17-Dec-14
bigbuckbob 17-Dec-14
jax2009r 17-Dec-14
Garbanzo 17-Dec-14
Gene 18-Dec-14
15-Dec-14
The Hunting guide has the following entry on Florescent Orange requirements.

Fluorescent Orange Requirement

During the period September 1 through the last day of February, hunters (including persons hunting with deer damage permits) are required to wear at least 400 square inches of fluorescent orange clothing above the waist and visible from all sides. An orange hat, in addition to a coat or vest, is strongly recommended.

The following hunters are exempt from this requirement:

Archery Deer Hunters hunting from September 15 to November 17 and from January 1 to January 31.

Archery Deer Hunters hunting during the November 18 to December 31 time period may remove their fluorescent orange clothing when hunting from an elevated stand at least 10 feet above the ground.

Firearms and Archery Turkey Hunters

So if I have both a deer and turkey fall tag and I am hunting a state land bowhunting only parcel that allows both deer and turkey hunting, how do I know if I need to wear florescent orange? If I have both tags I can be hunting both species simultaneously.

15-Dec-14
I believe the archery turkey season closes on Dec 17th, you can't hunt them on the 18th forward.

15-Dec-14
If you are hunting turkey, you can't remove the orange.

16-Dec-14
Turkey hunters are exempt from orange all together. If you are hunting deer you can't remove your orange until you are elevated 10' or higher in a tree

16-Dec-14
Absolutely amazing the responses. Read the book. Turkey = no orange. Deer = orange until you are 10' off the ground.

And turkey is open on private or bow only from 9/15 - 12/31. Wow!

Garbanzo, I would think if you are only out for turkey you are exempt from orange. But play it safe and carry an orange vest.

16-Dec-14
Bloodtrail

I only hunt state land and the season DOES close as I stated, it's not open through the entire archery deer season UNLESS you're on bow hunting only state land as you stated above. Don't want some people to miss the BOW ONLY part of your comment.

State Land Sep 15 - Nov 18 Dec 24 - Dec 31

16-Dec-14
If I am anywhere gun hunting is going on, I wear orange regardless of the law. I would not hunt without safety orange even if I was 50 feet up. Actually, I'll tell you what I do. I bring one of the cheap walmart safety vests(under $5) and I wrap it around the tree above my head so it can be seeing from 360. I do it if I bow hunt or gun hunt. It is not about what the state tells you. It's about being safe and using a little common sense.

If you ever go to the water co to hunt, You better be wearing orange in your way out cuz Tomy will yell at you for not doing it. Even if it is in the bow hunting area.

16-Dec-14
CtCrow

excellent point!

16-Dec-14
Crow.. you took the words right off my keyboard.

16-Dec-14
Definately a discrepency and badly written reg and no good solution other than getting the regulation fixed.

The only way you are completely safe without orange is in a tree stand or if you only have turkey tags.

Other than that your'e leaving yourself open to prosecution if you have both a turkey and deer license.

16-Dec-14
crow,tommy z ?...he the man...santas not the one you better watch out,its tommy..lol

16-Dec-14
LOL yep, Tommy is da'man! He knows my spot and when he sees my car, he waits there for me and we talk for about an hour. He has some good hunting stories.

16-Dec-14
Tommy is a great guy, have known him for years.

16-Dec-14
ive known him from when he was dep . he used to sneak up on us then the next day would come to my buddies store and tell us what size fish, what color lure , how many . sometimes right down to what stories we told..lol...hes the shitz

16-Dec-14
The 2015 season dates for State Land Bow Hunting Only for both Fall Turkey and Deer are Sep 15 - Dec 31.

Many Upland Bird seasons begin Oct 17. which is before the Nov 18 date when Orange is required for Archers.

It just seems counter-intuitive that you can be in full camo on the ground hunting Turkey with either a Bow or a firearm on State Land that allows Bow-Only Deer Hunting, but you are required to wear orange if hunting deer with a bow.. The same guys with a 10 gauge shotgun can be in the woods with you on Nov 17 and they can on Nov 18. The potential risk is exactly the same.

16-Dec-14
The small game gun hunters can shoot game up to 1/2hr after sunset.

16-Dec-14
Just put the orange on no matter what if you care about seeing your family again. Debating bureaucratic regulations will not bring you back to life.

Heck, string orange tape from tree to tree on your path if that helps increase your safety. One can be killed by both bullet or arrow.

17-Dec-14
I often wear an orange hat when bowhunting going in and out to a stand. I always use a flashlight when entering and leaving the woods in low light conditions. I have looked down the muzzle of a rifle a few times early in my bowhunting career and have been trying to avoid that happening ever again.

17-Dec-14
Gene,

you and crow both mentioned wearing orange on the walk in and out of the woods, and it's something that I never considered before. I do use a light even if I spook a deer or two walking into the woods. I think I'm going to steal your idea and wear the orange hat, at the very least.

17-Dec-14
do you ever really hunt both....you call for turkeys...find them..constantly move..find the roost the night before, use a decoy..not the best deer hunting method....

now you might be hunting deer and if a Turkey comes along shoot one or vice versa...or have an oak flat that both turkey and deer feed on....

If you are following the deer regs and have a turkey decoy on you ....you are hunting turkeys

anyone saying it different is kinda playing games....

better to be safe than sorry

17-Dec-14
I've been on stand hunting deer and had a flock of turkeys walk within 15 yards of my stand. I didn't buy a turkey tag so I let them pass. If I had one, I probably would have taken a shot. I always use a light when entering or exiting the woods in low light conditions and I do wear an orange hat or vest when I feel it is prudent. I didn't mean for this tread to be about any one persons particular practices. It was more to point out how silly some of these rules are.. It should be one way or the other when on State Land that is deer bowhunting Only. Either orange on the ground all of the time or none of the time. If the conditions/risks are the same, the rules should be the same.

18-Dec-14
Good point about "risk factor".

• Sitka Gear